Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

LatwPIAT posted:

The decade-long period of rationing during and immediately after WWII killed British cuisine. Not only did the "institutional" knowledge of how to make certain things disappear with a near-decade of disuse, but entire cheese cultures died out completely and permanently because nobody could make that kind of cheese during rationing.

Conversely, this was a formative period for spam in southeast asia and the pacific islands. Spam for the fuckin' hell yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Speaking of Jenna, as of today you can now get the final version of Glitch, with all the fancy art and layout, via print-on-demand at DTRPG.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Yeah, really impressive stuff, isn't it? Really wish I could read some of those old zines for myself.

There was so much rare media he had/got to go through. It would be great if someone was able to digitally archive it, but that seems like a pipe dream.

I’m trying to work out what an appropriate theme for a thread would be. Currently leaning strongly towards the blacow model stuff, which is was surprised to see existed when D&D like(?) games were really the last only available mechanical systems.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Heya folks: We have added SA user LifeLynx to the trad games IK team! LifeLynx will be IK for the main Magic the Gathering thread.

You may also have noticed that Reene's name has dropped off of the mod list for the subforum. This is simply a reflection of her extended absence; there is absolutely no animosity intended, it's just that sometimes folks might send her a PM for TG business and get no response and that's not great, so jeffrey decided to do a little adjustment to avoid that source of confusion.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Yes, yes, and yes, please. I may seriously considering going to this year's State Fair, COVID permitting, just to get some of that delicious fair food, which is the closest thing we really have to these delicious abominations.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
For whomever was talking about running a Cyberpunk game, I suggest looking at the free Quickstart of MoonPunk.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/293755/MoonPunk-QuickStart?src=newest

MoonPunk is a Powered by the Apocalypse rpg that has really good instructions for playing an overbearing government or megacorp that they call The Authority.

I'm using some of these instructions to define the actions a Call of Cthulhu conspiracy will take against players.

For example some of The Authority's hard and soft moves include:
    - Hint at what might happen next
    - Introduce chaos
    - Divide them
    - Give them a choice and tell them the consequences
    - Take away one of their things

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
When I was first in the UK in 2001 there was already a good push to "reform" British cuisine's reputation, and this was likely abetted by the Mad Cow outbreak and subsequent bans on importation of British beef.

But yeah the traditional British food people grumble about is pretty much the same as most "peasant" food, lots of sausages and organ meats and such because when you're a poor farmer and you slaughter a cow you want to use as much of that cow as you can.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
So, this is a meta-question. I may (don't get your hopes up) work on doing a West Marches live game soon but leverage the TG forum for the player base. I probably will only have one time slot available for it but I'll still want players to submit game session requests so I can keep my bookings up to date. I'm a little worried though that this may cause a lot of thread spam for recruiting, so I'm wondering how to organize that? Maybe just one thread for people to post their quest charters and signups, or move everything into a Discord server?

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
I'd make a thread in The Game Room aldantefax, then advertise it in TG Game Recruitment Megathread and maybe in the West Marches thread as well.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Rand Brittain posted:

Speaking of Jenna, as of today you can now get the final version of Glitch, with all the fancy art and layout, via print-on-demand at DTRPG.

What are the best Jenna Moran games to play as one-shots, if any?

Edit: Also what the hell was that rpg about running a magic item shop or something?

PerniciousKnid fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jan 28, 2021

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

PerniciousKnid posted:

What are the best Jenna Moran games to play as one-shots, if any?

Edit: Also what the hell was that rpg about running a magic item shop or something?

Any of them probably works, depending on what you want to do? I actually just started selling a licensed Nobilis one-shot but given the theme it might be more suitable in another eleven months.

I think you might mean Retail Magic, which... I'm not sure if that ever got released in final form?

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Rand Brittain posted:

Any of them probably works, depending on what you want to do? I actually just started selling a licensed Nobilis one-shot but given the theme it might be more suitable in another eleven months.

I think you might mean Retail Magic, which... I'm not sure if that ever got released in final form?

Nice, didn't you run that as a game for your players a few years ago? I vaguely recall you posting about it. Unless there are other goons who love Moran and ran a nobilis game about fighting Santa.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Coolness Averted posted:

Nice, didn't you run that as a game for your players a few years ago? I vaguely recall you posting about it. Unless there are other goons who love Moran and ran a nobilis game about fighting Santa.

Yeah, I've run the general idea a couple of times and eventually made it into a web doc and then formalized it as a one-shot adventure for publication.

(Jenna is currently working on a DriveThru imprint for community Nobilis/Glitch/Chuubo content, which will probably be out later this year once she works out a contract she's happy with, but she granted me a special license so I could hit at least part of the Christmas season.)

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Rand Brittain posted:

I just want something to read, but figured I might as well grab something I might get the chance to play. I got impulsive and bought Chuubo. In all likelihood it will just give me food for thought for my Dungeon World campaign rather than ever actually playing it.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Asked a while ago for PDF reader options for my new tablet, still looking for one

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

I use Foxit, dunno if that's on tablets.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

What kind of tablet is this?

For iOS, I think PDF Expert is the best.

For Android, I personally like EBookDroid after a bit of configuring, but Xodo is fine and easier and gets updated more often.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

It's a Samsung

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

drrockso20 posted:

It's a Samsung

Okay, so it's Android. Just use EBookDroid.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

drrockso20 posted:

Asked a while ago for PDF reader options for my new tablet, still looking for one

GoodReader for iOS (e: i saw you have an android, GoodReader anyway for anybody else on iOS)

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

I use Xodo and have no complaints.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Haystack posted:

I use Xodo and have no complaints.
This. Xodo does everything I want it to do.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
What is wrong with the Android version of Acrobat? Am I the only one who uses it?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

It has very few customizations and features.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

CitizenKeen posted:

What is wrong with the Android version of Acrobat? Am I the only one who uses it?

It's file browser is atrocious

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Kavak posted:

Why is this a thing? Is there something in British culture that creates a stumbling block for accepting trans people?

Three parts of the answer:
1: Having definitively lost the "can we be homophobic and still accepted in polite society?" issue in 2013 in 2015, lead by the Murdoch tabloids (oddly enough The Times more than the Sun) the British press in general decided that trans women were this decade's scapegoat of choice.
2: Britain handled the AIDS crisis overwhelmingly better than America (partly because healthcare in general, partly because the Tory public health minister in the 80s was horrified enough that he thought doing things about the AIDS crisis would be worthwhile if it cost him his career. It did, it was, and he'd make the same choice again.) The lack of that viciousness, the fact our police have issues but at least have ideals and know what good policing actually looks like, and the viciousness from the Southern Baptist Convention means the LGBT community in Britain is a whole lot less "We must all hang together because they are trying to literally hang us separately" than the American one.
3: Britain doesn't have that big a long-standing non-white community - at least not compared to the United States; the 1991 Census showed 94.1% of the British population to be white. And most of Britain's major racism was done overseas. What this means is that there were too few people telling the 1970s-1990s feminists "Yes, women were and are discriminated against, but that's not the only reason people are discriminated against and it's ridiculous to say the white woman sipping mint julep is more discriminated against than the field full of literal slaves she was watching." Which means intersectional feminism is less of a thing over here and a higher proportion of high profile British feminists were RadFems back in the day and are TERFs today.

That said, for all I'm talking about TERFs because a lot of high profile transphobes are TERFs a plurality of women in the UK are (at least according to polling) trans-accepting if not trans-friendly, while a plurality of men aren't.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Also don't forget that "put up and shut up" is more of a cultural value in the UK, whether it is appropriate or not.

Plus, there’s heavily gendered events around the wars - it’s difficult to imagine how the Order of the White Feather would have gone if gender was a spectrum.

And I don’t know if the US got Emily Howard, Kenny Everett and Julian and Sandy but the UK got them all...

hyphz fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jan 29, 2021

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

neonchameleon posted:

3: Britain doesn't have that big a long-standing non-white community - at least not compared to the United States; the 1991 Census showed 94.1% of the British population to be white. And most of Britain's major racism was done overseas. What this means is that there were too few people telling the 1970s-1990s feminists "Yes, women were and are discriminated against, but that's not the only reason people are discriminated against and it's ridiculous to say the white woman sipping mint julep is more discriminated against than the field full of literal slaves she was watching." Which means intersectional feminism is less of a thing over here and a higher proportion of high profile British feminists were RadFems back in the day and are TERFs today.

The victories of 70s radical feminism becoming entrenched in British society is a definite cause of why TERF thought is so prevalent in the UK, but I'm not sure I'd point to a smaller ethnic minority leading to a deficit in intersectional feminism as the primary cause. Intersectionality between feminist issues and radical issues and attacks on white feminism are very different, if not outright orthogonal to, intersectionality on feminism, queer politics, and trans people (which were already hot debates in the 70s and 80s).

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

TK_Nyarlathotep posted:

Trad Games Chat: It's Still Technically Trad Games If We're All Writing Like George R.R. Martin

He did make me wonder what lamprey pie tastes like.

Going to hard pass on jellied dog fetuses though.

e- Related to cyberpunk, I don't know why it took me this long but I just had the revelation that you'd just need to shift the setting around a bit and Tenra Bansho Zero would be a pretty respectable framework for a cyberpunk game.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jan 29, 2021

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

TK_Nyarlathotep posted:

Trad Games Chat: It's Still Technically Trad Games If We're All Writing Like George R.R. Martin

Waaaaay late, but, can I offer you some lemoncakes.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I dunno if it is in poor taste to go and flex but I just updated the how to run some games thread with a bunch more dumbass words and that felt pretty alright, but all this talk about lemoncakes made me want to tug at my braid while scowling and get some late night snack. Or was that Robert Jordan?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I mean if there's braids getting tugged it'd be weird if someone weren't also smoothing their skirt somewhere nearby.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.

aldantefax posted:

I dunno if it is in poor taste to go and flex but I just updated the how to run some games thread with a bunch more dumbass words and that felt pretty alright, but all this talk about lemoncakes made me want to tug at my braid while scowling and get some late night snack. Or was that Robert Jordan?

Pretty sure that's GRRM. Reminds me of the bit from MST3k Merlin's Shop of Mystical Wonders: "The man with the receding hairline puttered around the kitchen for a bit and got himself a cold drink."

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Braid tugging is Robert Jordan.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

lol they made saltybet for 5E

http://goblin.bet/

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Hey, in the last version of this thread someone posted a late letter from either notorious racist Robert E. Howard or notorious racist HP Lovecraft where the dude called himself an idiot for ignoring the wealth of African culture and myth for most of his life. Is that someone you, who is now reading this post or are you someone who also remembers that? If so, could you post it again and the source for it? Want to be sure this was not something I read in the dream forums.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Plutonis posted:

lol they made saltybet for 5E

http://goblin.bet/

they is cool goon otspIII!

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

ZearothK posted:

Hey, in the last version of this thread someone posted a late letter from either notorious racist Robert E. Howard or notorious racist HP Lovecraft where the dude called himself an idiot for ignoring the wealth of African culture and myth for most of his life. Is that someone you, who is now reading this post or are you someone who also remembers that? If so, could you post it again and the source for it? Want to be sure this was not something I read in the dream forums.
I am almost positive that was HPL as I remember several people telling me that he got less insanely racist towards the end of his life. I have no idea where this letter could be found, though.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
How does one get "insanely" less racist? Stayed too long in the tide pools and turned into half-fish while listening to the siren song from out of time and space?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Yawgmoth posted:

I am almost positive that was HPL as I remember several people telling me that he got less insanely racist towards the end of his life. I have no idea where this letter could be found, though.

This letter from 1937 has Lovecraft rip into his younger self (though exactly on what is unclear, other than being a smug, classist rear end in a top hat) at the end of a rather long argument against fascism, classism, and capitalism (with a few barbs thrown at Marxism) and a comment or two about how populism motivated by xenophobia against the Irish, Catholics, Jews, and other outsiders are “primitive emotional appeals” of ripe for fascism.

It does not, however, as far as I could tell, really speak explicitly in any capacity on Lovecraft’s views contra his earlier extreme racism against black people, native Americans, and general support for eugenics and anti-miscegenation.