Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Take it a step further, block all your sappers in an area they can’t really get out of and while the TP is casting, tell the sappers which targets to blow up so that they dutifully blow up the right things when they pop in.

No mess, no clean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
Well now I feel silly, maybe I was just dropping siege units in the back of a base and then picking them back up after 1 building kill. It was a long time ago.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The funnest thing to do was poke holes behind the treeline then tower back there

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Milo and POTUS posted:

The funnest thing to do was poke holes behind the treeline then BM back there

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Milo and POTUS posted:

The funnest thing to do was poke holes behind the treeline then tinker factory back there

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Reforged has now officially been out for 1 year.

Still no ladder. No profiles. No custom campaigns.

Last patch was in October.

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

oh i thought this had been posted here but i guess not

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-01-22/blizzard-absorbs-activision-studio-after-dismantling-classic-games-team

evidently the classic games team was dissolved in the fall

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
I know there are a host of ways you could measure this, but, accounting for the price asked, could this be the worst PC release in history?

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie

Pararoid posted:

I know there are a host of ways you could measure this, but, accounting for the price asked, could this be the worst PC release in history?

It's certainly not the worst game ever made, but I can't think of any other remakes or remasters that damaged a previously great game so much. Doing nothing would have been far, far better than Reforged.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

This game is that Jesus painting that one lady reforged once.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

dr.acula posted:

This game is that Jesus painting that one lady reforged once.

Photoshop that face onto the old boxart

e: I guess since it's jesus it technically should be undead

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

totally agreed that reforged hosed up a ton of stuff in amazing ways, but worth noting that for years before reforged you could not play 3s or 4s AT. it was not possible due to a tiny playerbase and a queue system that basically discouraged searching, and then for a while before reforged they actually fully broke AT serverside.

now it is possible to play AT, both technically and in terms of playerbase. we haven’t played for almost a year now for various reasons (including frustration caused by some gameruining bugs like Stun Hex, Bridge Desync, and Serverquit) but that was a big deal for clan towa. we got a solid few months of wigs out of it which was wonderful after years of almost nothing

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

The gaming equivalent of a make a wish kid looking on the bright side

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

uniball posted:

totally agreed that reforged hosed up a ton of stuff in amazing ways, but worth noting that for years before reforged you could not play 3s or 4s AT. it was not possible due to a tiny playerbase and a queue system that basically discouraged searching, and then for a while before reforged they actually fully broke AT serverside.

now it is possible to play AT, both technically and in terms of playerbase. we haven’t played for almost a year now for various reasons (including frustration caused by some gameruining bugs like Stun Hex, Bridge Desync, and Serverquit) but that was a big deal for clan towa. we got a solid few months of wigs out of it which was wonderful after years of almost nothing

FWIW they seem to have solved the desync issues at least

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

FWIW they seem to have solved the desync issues at least

yeah i think they took care of that in early 2020. but remember when the Bridge Desync ruined a major tournament

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

revtoiletduck posted:

It's certainly not the worst game ever made, but I can't think of any other remakes or remasters that damaged a previously great game so much. Doing nothing would have been far, far better than Reforged.

Yeah I guess that's the way I'm measuring it. Like, those horrible games didn't also ruin one of the top 20 games in history too.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
I was just randomly thinking of how cool the Doom Guard's design in Warcraft 3 was and found out that Reforged basically replaced them with buff bearded dudes.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

It's like if being gifted Bad rats also made you unable to play portal 2

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

uniball posted:

yeah i think they took care of that in early 2020. but remember when the Bridge Desync ruined a major tournament

Please do not remind me of this

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

FoolyCharged posted:

.Yeah, if you can ignore the story the SC2 campaigns are actually really cool.

Aspects of it are cool, but especially Legacy of the Void got repetitive after awhile with the "activate six beacon things" type missions, and the over-abundance of defense missions.

Though Wings of Liberty is basically awesome as heck through and through gameplay wise, that one is rock solid and holds up well. Which (surprise surprise) is because it gives you the most player choice. That and even if the story is hokey, the basic flavoring of the Terran inter-mission environment is fun to interact with and take in.
The Zerg one is small and mostly boring (and just shoves everyone except Abbathur into standing around with Kerrigan doing nothing).
The Protoss was better than that, but they never really got around the Protoss being bland squares (with the one obvious exception yes). They played up the Vulcan like sides of them more than the Klingon stuff I guess? Eh. The original got away with a lot because of the A+ voice acting, the SC2 Protoss VA's were fine, but they needed to be more than that to make the stiff serious alien people thing fully engaging.

I also still prefer either the original or War3 campaign wise.
The original giving you a bunch of straight ahead "destroy the enemy" basic RTS action, which I wanted more of in the SC2 missions.
And War3 with the much more engaging exploratory maps.

But yeah overall Star2 is a good game gameplay wise.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

SC singleplayer struck me as pretty overrated coming from 2021. God it was boring. A whole lot of super passive AI bases building armies that you could probably leave alone entirely if it weren't for the fact that they were sitting on your rightful geysers. Probably cutting edge for its time and I'm sure it makes wc2 feel even older in comparison but drat. Not too impressed with the story either :shrug:

Enjoying melee and multiplayer a whole hell of a lot more than back in the day though. I'm just a whole lot better at macro now and it's made things a lot more bearable. My biggest real gripe with the actual game comes from the controls. God there's a bunch of modern qol stuff lacking that really makes it feel its age and also weird responsiveness issues. And my siege tanks keep popping out of siege mode without any input at all

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Milo and POTUS posted:

And my siege tanks keep popping out of siege mode without any input at all

I hate to break it to you, but

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

But what?

Is it possible to queue up the transform commands with shift+o? That could be it, if so. But it's definitely not my hands on either the mouse or keyboard

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Milo and POTUS posted:

But what?

Is it possible to queue up the transform commands with shift+o? That could be it, if so. But it's definitely not my hands on either the mouse or keyboard
o is both the siege and unsiege key so you're definitely hitting o or shift+o while selecting a group that contains some sieged/sieging tanks

I'm fairly certain if you press o -> anything you want including queuing attacks, moves, or nothing at all -> shift+o it will instantly start to unsiege after sieging. It has been a long time tho.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Feb 4, 2021

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Yeah it was me hitting o twice when poo poo got hectic. I assumed that once it started transforming it was basically not taking any inputs at all since it's not moving or attacking but that's not the case. So I'd hit o twice (or more), it'd begin transforming, I'd take my hands away from the keyboard and it'd just transform back immediately without any apparent input.

Yet you can't move them+ shift transform. Or burrow if you're talking lurkers. Life is cruel sometimes

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Milo and POTUS posted:

Yeah it was me hitting o twice when poo poo got hectic. I assumed that once it started transforming it was basically not taking any inputs at all since it's not moving or attacking but that's not the case. So I'd hit o twice (or more), it'd begin transforming, I'd take my hands away from the keyboard and it'd just transform back immediately without any apparent input.

Yet you can't move them+ shift transform. Or burrow if you're talking lurkers. Life is cruel sometimes
Special actions override queued basic actions which is why you can't queue that stuff. It's pretty unintuitive coming from modern games.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Kith posted:

As someone who's done level design for several years, many of the Reforged campaign maps are absolutely dire in their lack of quality. For example, anything to do with Dalaran has a good chance of having huge blank plateaus on the edges of the map - and often where the player can easily view them with flying units. There's also the final mission of RoC having its difficulty obliterated because of lovely scripting, which is not great if you cared about the challenge of the original.

it feels like they got people with zero world edit experience to do the maps, they are just absolute amateur hour attempts

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

I was just randomly thinking of how cool the Doom Guard's design in Warcraft 3 was and found out that Reforged basically replaced them with buff bearded dudes.

Wc3 had some of the singularly best visual design of any video game ever made and still has an identifiable influence on designs in contemporary games. Anything with that expressive, slightly chunky color-block style, like Fortnite and Valorant, owes that the Wc3's artists.

The very first time I saw this poo poo I knew Reforged was done for lmao

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
:wtc: Took me an incredibly long time to realise that wasn't a terrible 'shop.

meta²
Sep 11, 2001

What the flip was Grandma doing at the dunes?

What do you guys think are the odds that we get some kind of surprise for Blizzcon?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Nitevision posted:

Wc3 had some of the singularly best visual design of any video game ever made and still has an identifiable influence on designs in contemporary games. Anything with that expressive, slightly chunky color-block style, like Fortnite and Valorant, owes that the Wc3's artists.

The very first time I saw this poo poo I knew Reforged was done for lmao

Lmao I forgot about that one

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

meta² posted:

What do you guys think are the odds that we get some kind of surprise for Blizzcon?
Could nothing being announced for Reforged be construed as a surprise?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

meta² posted:

The surprise will be blizzard has code in the launcher to seek out and destroy any non reforged installations of wc3

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

meta² posted:

Nah they will give WCIII zero time. They'll move onto DII which they will throw in a similar way.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Warcraft IV though,,, I would fall for that trick

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

The surprise is that Blizz con is happening at all

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Maybe the real "con" was Blizz all along

:smug:

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Milo and POTUS posted:

The surprise will be blizzard has code in the launcher to seek out and destroy any non reforged installations of wc3

I actually write-protected that directory. :smug:

Amnomia
Jun 12, 2003

jokes posted:

Maybe the real "con" was Blizz all along

:smug:

owned username matches up with post content 5/5 post of the year (decade????)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Luceo posted:

I actually write-protected that directory. :smug:

For the low, low price of you pay them, Blizzard will send men to your home to destroy your non approved warcraft 3 devices