Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
it's not my place to tell you to calm down but I genuinely don't know what you're trying to say, except that everybody's wrong and everything is bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
dog 2000 was 20 years ago, are you okay

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

fun hater posted:

i think its cool that in 2002 a guy was making something technically impressive, even if the content isnt to my taste. this is a fun fact, but in the early 2000s, people could do less things with the internet and computers, so things from that era might not seem as impressive now lol. there were, of course, a million great webcomics from the early 2000s (a lesson is learned but the damage is irreversible, gunnerkrigg, digger, achewood, scary go round, perry bible fellowship, lackidaisy cats, etc) but im talking about format!! writing quality aside!!

my overall point is that i think it sucks that, for example, webtoons has minimum panel requirements if you want to be partnered through them and i think its hard to argue that doesnt stifle creativity lol.

e: lol did you lose the conviction to inexplicably say "yikes" to me while i was typing.

I simply feel that the "yikes" became implicit in acknowledging all the bits you edited in about how sprite videogame webcomics got more airtime because there was nothing else to read back in the day. You can take it as a little victory if you need one, sorry about your situation.

Your option if you don't care to conform to the webtoons format is simply to make comics as literally all of the comics you just described were made, and all the good rear end non-webtoons comics being produced right now do, without webtoons. It may be a cold comfort to you without official Webtoons approval, but you also have an orders of magnitude larger potential audience than anyone making a comic in the early 2000s had and a glut of viable alternatives to the Paypal tipjar that simply did not exist in the early 2000s.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
I feel like you guys are misunderstanding each other's points and wouldn't be disagreeing with each other otherwise

fun hater
May 24, 2009

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

I simply feel that the "yikes" became implicit in acknowledging all the bits you edited in about how sprite videogame webcomics got more airtime because there was nothing else to read back in the day. You can take it as a little victory if you need one, sorry about your situation.

you approach conversations in a really weird way. we're not fighting. you know that, right?

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

I feel like you guys are misunderstanding each other's points and wouldn't be disagreeing with each other otherwise

I've confessed twice to not understanding their point at all, that's the best I can do

if the point is that webtoons' structure combined with the losses of sites like PW, Smackjeeves, Comic Genesis, The Duck, etc aren't collectively a net loss for experimental art, cool, strong disagree. That's the best I got

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

fun hater posted:

you approach conversations in a really weird way. we're not fighting. you know that, right?

IDK dude I posted about 17776 and you come up all huffing and puffing with this 'u mad, lol care' poo poo, I think you just kinda suck now?

fun hater
May 24, 2009

IDK dude I posted about 17776 and you come up all huffing and puffing with this 'u mad, lol care' poo poo, I think you just kinda suck now?

what

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

is that what you think happened

fun hater
May 24, 2009

anyway there are advantages and disadvantages to each hosting platform and its really not as easy as "just dont choose that one". webtoons has a loving MASSIVE audience but the aforementioned partnership limitations are insane and the audience is, from what i've seen, fairly fickle. they really love those long, long updates.

patreon sucks rear end. i hate working with them. i can't wait until they are dead. i am glad they keep me afloat but also they are the worst company on planet earth that i have to run into on a day to day basis and are loving us 24/7 behind the scenes lol. they are currently trying to slide in the most rear end-backwards billing poo poo that just makes me fume. dont even get me started buddy!!! they take so much of my money and for wHAT.

there are some patreon alternative trying slowly to crop up but only time will tell if they live. i truly hope they do.

tapas i can't ever remember anything about. its webtoons but not the one that has the panel limits but i think the website design stinks on desktop and it makes reading anything on there a slog. it's a little bothersome to read anything longform on there because of the way that chapters are ordered and presented and the web 2.0 making the page fly around every time i click the sidebar to advance to a new page.

well, those are my reviews of 3 platforms i can remember the names of. oh wait poo poo. this is so dumb and only tangentially related but i just remembered.

if you have a webcomic, or want to start one, ComicControl got a open release recently!

https://www.comicctrl.com/

this is what i use and i really love it. it's been really great to use for the last. 6 y-years. oh my god.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
I want to switch to ComicControl because ComicEasel doesn't seem to have active support anymore (also WordPress is obnoxious to work with and always has been) but I'm pretty sure I would lose the comments I've gotten over the years if I did. They're the only tangible proof I have that people read and enjoy bullshit fantasy dash comic dot com :negative:

Fortis fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jan 29, 2021

fun hater
May 24, 2009

Fortis posted:

I want to switch to ComicControl because ComicEasel doesn't seem to have active support anymore but I'm pretty sure I would lose the comments I've gotten over the years if I did. They're the only tangible proof I have that people read and enjoy bullshit fantasy dash comic dot com :negative:

ask about it! comic control has a twitter and she'll answer!
https://twitter.com/comicctrl?s=09

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

fun hater posted:

ask about it! comic control has a twitter and she'll answer!
https://twitter.com/comicctrl?s=09

Honestly I've just gotta look into it more in general (which definitely could end up including asking her about it, fwiw). From what I gather based on the documentation (and also from the Hiveworks comics I read that have comments enabled), ComicControl comments are powered by Disqus, which evidently supports some form of WordPress import, but I have no idea how that works. I assume it's some unique post identifier they key off of, but that's probably for blog posts. I am sure it's possible but due to the hacky way ComicPress and ComicEasel make WordPress into a webcomic CRM it's going to be a bunch of technical horseshit. Entirely possible, but likely extremely frustrating. Probably totally worth it! But definitely frustrating.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Here's something tangentially webcomic-related, by Molly Ostertag (formerly of Strong Female Protagonist and wife of Nimona/She-Ra's Noelle Stevenson)'s Witchboy graphic novels are getting an animated musical feature film adaptation from Netflix.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

nine-gear crow posted:

Here's something tangentially webcomic-related, by Molly Ostertag (formerly of Strong Female Protagonist and wife of Nimona/She-Ra's Noelle Stevenson)'s Witchboy graphic novels are getting an animated musical feature film adaptation from Netflix.
For me the big news here is that Noelle Stevenson is married to the woman behind SFP. I know a person can be more than just their one lovely webcomic, I just... :psyduck:

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
molly did the art not the writing

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

And even the writer of SFP normally does better work. SFP seems to have been a combination of a concept that they weren't equipped to handle well and maybe a bit of a blind spot to its flaws. Combined with the general problems caused by the webcomic format.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
How are these webcomics getting movie deals. How do I get my work, on Steven Speilberg's desk

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

FunkyAl posted:

How are these webcomics getting movie deals. How do I get my work, on Steven Speilberg's desk

apparently you have to be a print best-seller first

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
That checks! Gotta adapt it into a novel.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Dr. McNinja was excellent.

I don't know how much the Bobbinsverse counts since it's been around since the 1990s (which, man that's some longevity) but hard agree with Bad Machinery being one of the best of the aughts.

Also, Oglaf has always been a delight.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/775794

Speaking of movies though, I am plugging here now my short film which is based on my webcomics character "Nemo," made without the involvement of steven speilberg. But David Fincher did come to the set and gave the camera crew some pointers. We all had a lot of fun that day, on set. My question now is, what can be done to get THIS on Lights Camera Jackson's desk?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

flatluigi posted:

apparently you have to be a print best-seller first

A couple webtoons only free strips have gotten the live action treatment now.

Note to self: still gotta watch sweet home

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

oriongates posted:

And even the writer of SFP normally does better work. SFP seems to have been a combination of a concept that they weren't equipped to handle well and maybe a bit of a blind spot to its flaws. Combined with the general problems caused by the webcomic format.
Yeah, as far as I can tell it was a failed project they kept going for longer than they probably should have in an attempt to fix it, but the problems were fairly deep, such as not being interested enough in the genre of superhero comics to make really salient criticisms. I was startled too when I saw the writer running Tiny Heist and realized he could be really funny and well-prepared, but aside from the massive differences in format between GMing an actual play thing and writing a webcomic, I think part of the difference is also being passionate about one thing and not really about the other.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

flatluigi posted:

molly did the art not the writing

oriongates posted:

Ah! You learn something new every day.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

PetraCore posted:

Yeah, as far as I can tell it was a failed project they kept going for longer than they probably should have in an attempt to fix it, but the problems were fairly deep, such as not being interested enough in the genre of superhero comics to make really salient criticisms. I was startled too when I saw the writer running Tiny Heist and realized he could be really funny and well-prepared, but aside from the massive differences in format between GMing an actual play thing and writing a webcomic, I think part of the difference is also being passionate about one thing and not really about the other.

I don't think SFP lacked passion early on, which is why they became so defensive of it and dedicated to doubling down. All the early praise for SFP combined with it being supposed to be political in a way that's more complex and difficult than very straightforward affirmations of identity led to a situation where emotions were high but they didn't really actually have any great ideas.

They backed into writing a work about the politics and practicalities of power and violence, which is just not a space either of them seem prepared to write a long-form character drama about.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

SFP started strong as a story wherein Supergirl discovers she can't punch societal issues to fix them and ended sucky because the character growth was "let a vigilante assassin go on with her work, develop an app, punch the mental health issues out of her mind controlling boyfriend"

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Clevin?

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Joe Slowboat posted:

I don't think SFP lacked passion early on, which is why they became so defensive of it and dedicated to doubling down. All the early praise for SFP combined with it being supposed to be political in a way that's more complex and difficult than very straightforward affirmations of identity led to a situation where emotions were high but they didn't really actually have any great ideas.

They backed into writing a work about the politics and practicalities of power and violence, which is just not a space either of them seem prepared to write a long-form character drama about.
Yeah, exactly. It's as it kept going that the writing got, uh, really weird, and the art got kinda weird, and I think there's definitely reasons for that. But I'm not attributing it to the creators being bad writers/artists, just the project getting out of hand and snowballing.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

the writing of SFP got so weird at one point someone linked me a page from it and i thought it was a really cruel mockery someone had created making fun of it

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Your option if you don't care to conform to the webtoons format is simply to make comics as literally all of the comics you just described were made, and all the good rear end non-webtoons comics being produced right now do, without webtoons. It may be a cold comfort to you without official Webtoons approval, but you also have an orders of magnitude larger potential audience than anyone making a comic in the early 2000s had and a glut of viable alternatives to the Paypal tipjar that simply did not exist in the early 2000s.

Please stop taking this Socratic Dialogue tone while arguing about Webtoons.

And don't call people "mouthbreathers".

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jan 29, 2021

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
The General Thread for Liking Webcomics in also has not stopped from being a Clevin-free zone.

I don't know if Stand Still, Stay Silent is as good on the writing front as it is on the art front, but that may just be because the art is so consistently impossibly good, so it probably deserves some mention although in the end it will probably count as a project of the decade we're currently entering into.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
Kate Beaton has launched a patreon where she'll be making new comics!
https://twitter.com/beatonna/status/1355305374925131781

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand

FunkyAl posted:

A one off called "Party Bear" which now exists nowhere.
omg i loved this one too

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

perepelki posted:

omg i loved this one too

Really, the best webcomics were stuff like this that was gone in an instant.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

PetraCore posted:

Yeah, as far as I can tell it was a failed project they kept going for longer than they probably should have in an attempt to fix it, but the problems were fairly deep, such as not being interested enough in the genre of superhero comics to make really salient criticisms.

SFP starting in Obama-era millennial-angst and then ramping off that cliff into the ravine of the Trump-era did it no favors, either.

Joe Slowboat posted:

SFP feels fairly tightly plotted up through when it reveals Feral's donated her body/organs to science and maybe some of the backstory on the All-Knife guy, so up through when it posed all these "realistic dilemmas" but then it turns out that providing answers to the "Makes Ya Think Donnit!?" questions is a lot of exhausting, politically fraught territory.

GlyphGryph posted:

A couple webtoons only free strips have gotten the live action treatment now.

Note to self: still gotta watch sweet home

A couple webtoons have anime adaptions now, too, don't they? It's interesting seeing webcomics finally hitting a more mainstream vector, though admittedly only because a large corporate aggregator is collecting and farming them out rather than through truly independent developers.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Nuns with Guns posted:

SFP starting in Obama-era millennial-angst and then ramping off that cliff into the ravine of the Trump-era did it no favors, either.

SFP feels fairly tightly plotted up through when it reveals Feral's donated her body/organs to science and maybe some of the backstory on the All-Knife guy, so up through when it posed all these "realistic dilemmas" but then it turns out that providing answers to the "Makes Ya Think Donnit!?" questions is a lot of exhausting, politically fraught territory.

I'd personally guess the original plan ran out precisely at the end of chatting with Cleaver, aka All-Knife, because that's absolutely where the individual chapters started getting really long and sprawling, and the character interconnections got more tenuous. It's also the case that Feral's Wolverine Organ Donor thing the whole 'yeah, it turns out I'm incredibly privileged and they literally let me get away with murder, that's really hosed up, I don't know how to fix this and I could have been you if I wasn't a white, middle-class kid who did well in grade school' thing with Cleaver are just loads better as ideological shake-ups than anything we got later.

Hell, even Menace was better written early on - that thing about him finding Loony Tunes really exciting, that was both cute and a relatively interesting window into his experience. You just don't get anything like that, and that's not even brilliant just decent, after the Cleaver chat as far as I remember.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Menace losing his poo poo at Loony Tunes was the first, last, and only proper humanizing moment the dude ever got. I remember finding it a little dumb at the time, but in retrospect, I think it could've been a jumping-off point into some really interesting character interaction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Nuns with Guns posted:

A couple webtoons have anime adaptions now, too, don't they? It's interesting seeing webcomics finally hitting a more mainstream vector, though admittedly only because a large corporate aggregator is collecting and farming them out rather than through truly independent developers.

crunchyroll optioned freakangels of all things, lmao, but i haven't heard anything about it in a while