Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Twelve by Pies posted:

Yeah, "Gamestop is beloved by millennials" doesn't seem right. Maybe, maybe in the early 2000s when they would have shelves of old NES/SNES games in their stores and you could grab some old gems for five bucks or so, but especially with the rise of digital purchasing and online stores like Amazon I can't imagine any millennials really give a poo poo about Gamestop at all unless they're just really big on getting two dollars of store credit for a game released the month before.

They bought and killed the good (better at least in my childhood memory) stores like Funcoland and Electronics Boutique. Their trade in policies are garbage, they'd sell their employee copies of games as new, destroyed lord knows how many game boxes and manuals... Gah. They're the worst

edit bad snipe. so... uh here's an old penny arcade that's mildly relevant

Ambitious Spider fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jan 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Raised By Birds posted:

God just all the "just like THE EVIL DEMOCRATS" peppered throughout this.

Also is GameStop really "beloved" by Them Young Persons?

Dumb old public radio. I never got my totebag. :(
A lot of potential for the people's hog edits here.

For all the complaining about regulators he doesn't seem to advocate for that to change much.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Twelve by Pies posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Garrison loves to go on about how billionaires are bad and hurting the lower class, and have too much influence in politics, and then he turns around and says "And that's why we need to elect conservative Republicans and deregulate business!"

It's the conservative thing. Literally every piece of information, no matter what it says, no matter why it says that, is evidence that it's time for truly unbridled right-wing policy to be implemented immediately.

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013

Twelve by Pies posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Garrison loves to go on about how billionaires are bad and hurting the lower class, and have too much influence in politics, and then he turns around and says "And that's why we need to elect conservative Republicans and deregulate business!"

Problem: Powerful people are making life terrible for large swathes of people with impunity.
Solution: ADD FASCISM! :clint:

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Nobody likes Gamestop or Milhouse.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Bootleg Trunks posted:

Nobody likes Gamestop or Milhouse.

I like Gamestop and was saying Buu-urns....

But mostly I hate hedge funds because they're a scam the rich use to screw people over so I'm fine with them eating poo poo.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Raised By Birds posted:

Problem: Powerful people are making life terrible for large swathes of people with impunity.
Solution: ADD FASCISM! :clint:

I mean that's how fascism has always worked though. They don't want to fix the system they just think they should be in charge of it

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Twelve by Pies posted:

That's conservative/fascist populism in a nutshell. Get people on your side by pointing to real, actual problems, and then come up with the worst possible solutions.

And of course it gets really bad when there isn't a good counter narrative.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Big Biz still in pretty good shape even after all these years.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Ambitious Spider posted:

They bought and killed the good (better at least in my childhood memory) stores like Funcoland and Electronics Boutique. Their trade in policies are garbage, they'd sell their employee copies of games as new, destroyed lord knows how many game boxes and manuals... Gah. They're the worst

Yeah, I remember Babbage’s. Whether it was actually better, I’m not sure, but I feel like Game Stop going so hard on the trade-in side of things cheapened it. Game Stop is... fine, but not important. And I’m sure the Zoomers DGAF about brick-and-mortar game stores.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
GameStop was picked specifically because millennials and zoomers know it's a dead company walking and the vultures are circling, I figured.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Ghost Leviathan posted:

GameStop was picked specifically because millennials and zoomers know it's a dead company walking and the vultures are circling, I figured.

That's how the meme stocks crowd realized it was being shorted, yeah.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Raised By Birds posted:

Also is GameStop really "beloved" by Them Young Persons?

Not since they claimed that their stores was an "essential service" and tried to force their employees to work during the lockdown. This is the first time in a while were Gamestop has been in the news and it isn't because they're awful.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Yeah, pretty much everyone was willing to let GameStop die because they have spent the past few years being lovely to their staff and not wanting to update their business model. Especially after the 'essential service' fiasco last year.

But WSB saw that it was literally getting shorted for more that even existed (something like 140% of shares) and decided to pounce for the profits. Then hedge funds started whining, people started making money, and within a week it morphed into this weird anti-establishement symbol of fighting back against corporate greed.

Now it's over $500 per share, hedge funds are bleeding out, and trading companies are pulling the plug and trying to scare people to sell. All on a company that was dying out at the start of the month.

poo poo is wild.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

J.A.B.C. posted:

Now it's over $500 per share, hedge funds are bleeding out, and trading companies are pulling the plug and trying to scare people to sell. All on a company that was dying out at the start of the month.

Is that...good? That sort of price for a dying company? Unless by buying shares at that price, GameStop could last longer? I don't understand anything.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

toanoradian posted:

Is that...good? That sort of price for a dying company? Unless by buying shares at that price, GameStop could last longer? I don't understand anything.

It's proof that stock prices are loving fake, mostly. And also that the people who make money off of fake stock prices will blatantly collude to stop others from doing the same.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

toanoradian posted:

It's cheaper for vultures to buy it if the share price is low :shrug:

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

toanoradian posted:

It was down to 2.50 within the last year and was around 5 when poo poo started.

Thing about Gamestop is that while it's not exactly a strong buy they've been generally hanging on since they closed a bunch of stores over the summer.

Shorting is a shady as hell practice where you borrow a share and promise to give it back in say, a month. Then you turn around and immediately sell it for 5 bucks. Then in a month you buy it back for 4.50 (you hope) and just pocket the 50 cents.

Problem is a bunch of redditors blew the price up to 300 dollars. So when that stock comes due instead of making 50 cents they will have to spend 295 bux.

It's basically financial chicken to see who blinks first. Except the hedge funds have due dates and redditors are trolls.

A hedge fund that rides it out could be fine... or they could be the guys who has their time run out when the stock has spiked to 5k. The redditor could sell for 200 or try to be the guy who is selling at 5k when poo poo gets real. The price is eventually going to normalize back to 5 bux because the business doesn't support that insane price, but only after most of the short sellers are gone and reddit is out of hostages.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Relentless posted:

Shorting is a shady as hell practice where you borrow a share and promise to give it back in say, a month. Then you turn around and immediately sell it for 5 bucks. Then in a month you buy it back for 4.50 (you hope) and just pocket the 50 cents.

Problem is a bunch of redditors blew the price up to 300 dollars. So when that stock comes due instead of making 50 cents they will have to spend 295 bux.

I wouldn't really call it any more shady than anything else wall street does. Instead of betting on a stock going up like with a normal trade, shorting lets you bet on it going down.

What it is is risky as hell.

If you buy a hundred shares of Gamestop stock at $5 and it drops to zero, you're out $500 and that's the end of it. You will never lose more money than your initial investment.

If you short-sell a hundred shares of Gamestop stock at $5 and reddit drives the stock price up to $1000 a share before you sell, you made $500 up front but now owe $100,000, with no limit on how much you can lose. In theory your losses could be driven into the billions or trillions. Oops.

e: okay well i guess it is about as shady as borrowing your mom's vcr to hock it for drug money, totally planning to get it back before the end of the month. but everything wall street does is scummy because they're all a bunch of crooks

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Jan 29, 2021

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Relentless posted:

Since it is a loan you also have to pay interest on it too. Also there are more short stocks of Gamestop then there are total stocks. Short sellers really hosed over themselves.

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

think of it like the "Who's Who" of genitals

Ambitious Spider posted:

edit bad snipe. so... uh here's an old penny arcade that's mildly relevant

Funny, I bought games used that had come out in same week, I guess some people play then through and sell them.
Haven't bought any used game for awhile, cause it feels that used game prices jumped for some reason, now I just wait for some discount in Xbox Store/Steam etc. :shrug:

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Republicans posted:

Big Biz still in pretty good shape even after all these years.

Well sheeeeiiiiit, is THAT the secret origin of Crying Lady Liberty?

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Rall: The Border is Open Again!

Ted Rall posted:

Comprehensive immigration reform is here. Construction on the wall, to the extent that it ever happened, is ending. Joe Biden wants you to know that you can come to America anytime you want. But why would you want to?

First Dog on the Moon: Ooh! Albo has made a slew of Australia-saving appointments!

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Twelve by Pies posted:

Because it's chuds doing this GameStop thing and he likes chuds, so he's willing to say they've been unfairly treated by the US because of the Democrats and liberals.

This is the first I've heard of the Gamestop thing being a chud-based movement. I mean it's Reddit so there is certainly chuds amongst them, but from what I've heard it's just a whole lot of spite against Wall Street.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
They're retail investors, so they're not exactly communist activists

Except the ones that are communist activists

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

SirSamVimes posted:

This is the first I've heard of the Gamestop thing being a chud-based movement. I mean it's Reddit so there is certainly chuds amongst them, but from what I've heard it's just a whole lot of spite against Wall Street.

It's pretty clearly a desperate, incoherent smear since trying to paint them as antifa won't go over well.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Trapezium Dave posted:

Rall: The Border is Open Again!

I was going to ask if Ted Rall knew how bad some of the people living in other countries have it that they want to move to the US, but I realized the answer is obviously not because that doesn't affect Ted Rall.

SirSamVimes posted:

Yeah it's unfair for me to generalize like that, my bad. At the very least Garrison himself thinks it's a chud based movement, or that there's enough chuds involved that he assumes they're the majority. If he thought this was a liberal/leftist thing, he'd probably make a cartoon showing them as idiots for throwing money at Wall Street.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Relentless posted:

It's basically financial chicken to see who blinks first. Except the hedge funds have due dates and redditors are trolls.
As a know-nothing I am scared that this increasing share price could lead to someone spending their whole life savings for nothing. So I guess my fear is misplaced? The participants are hedge funds, of whom I have no sympathy for, and redditors, who can just bail out anytime they like?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Trapezium Dave posted:

First Dog on the Moon: Ooh! Albo has made a slew of Australia-saving appointments!

This guy really needs to get a blog

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

toanoradian posted:

As a know-nothing I am scared that this increasing share price could lead to someone spending their whole life savings for nothing. So I guess my fear is misplaced? The participants are hedge funds, of whom I have no sympathy for, and redditors, who can just bail out anytime they like?

Except they're working together to cut the legs out from under the retail crowd. So the chance to lose everything is real

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The stock market is meant to be a playground for rich kids but all the poor kids have piled in and keep pushing the merry go round faster and faster while the rich kids are crying for them to stop and someone breaks a tooth (actually happened to me as a kid)

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Melvin Capital, the central shorter here, is basically crashing and burning. Naked shorts like this have literally no ceiling, because it's nothing like a normal stock buy/sell trade. So a stock could go to a million a share, and they'd have to buy it at that price. So with Gamestop at nearly 100x its original price, they're paying out literally billions of dollars. And it's likely with how successful Melvin is that there's a bunch of other firms that were doing the same. Hell, several banks backing these firms are probably going to be hit hard, because they're so exposed.
Worth mentioning that other shorts are going to be hit by this too, so they might be doing even worse real soon.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Gee, it sounds like the problem is that hedge funds are allowed to short more stocks than are actually available, and not that people are allowed to buy stocks. I wonder what the SEC is going to crack down on once they look into it (its the people just buying the stocks, not the people shorting them).

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

toanoradian posted:

Oh no, there will be a lot of bag holders once it crashes and burns. And it will crash and burn at some point, though very likely after the large shorters have been taken to the cleaners. At some point people will start to cash out and cause a massive collapse.

Gamestop, the company, is still garbage with no future.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I just wish they had decided to back up a less blatantly evil company.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I've actually learned quite a bit about the stock market in the past few days, and what I've learned is that it's a lot more bullshit than I realised.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

RoboRodent posted:

I've actually learned quite a bit about the stock market in the past few days, and what I've learned is that it's a lot more bullshit than I realised.

:same:

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Alhazred posted:

I just wish they had decided to back up a less blatantly evil company.

I don't think it does anything to benefit the company itself? Gamestop is still a failing company with no future. I think part of the point is demonstrating that the numbers are meaningless. Gamestop isn't magically better or more relevent or more solvent just because Number Go Up.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

RoboRodent posted:

Turns out it's all made up!
When I was a kid I wondered what actually controlled the numbers. Everyone seemed a slave to them. Where did they come from? What gave those numbers meaning? What rules do they follow? What benefit do they bring to our lives? I figured it would make sense when I grew up, but all that happened is the pretense fell off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

If anyone is still having trouble understanding the Gaemstop stock market thing please read this:

The stock market is a scam.