Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
They might be assuming he's a government minister?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Pistol_Pete posted:

They might be assuming he's a government minister?

It's depressing how genuinely plausible this is.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Alpha psychology in wolves is essentially a form of mental illness that only develops in captivity. In the wild any male that attempts to disrupt the balance of the pack is driven out.

Something to consider.

To be honest "I have more antibodies than you" sounds more Omegaverse alpha than wolf alpha.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Reveilled posted:

Omegaverse alpha

I hate that I know what that refers to.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Boris Johnson has at least 100,000 antibodies on his hands, which cancels out if you think about it.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Guavanaut posted:

Boris Johnson has at least 100,000 antibodies on his hands, which cancels out if you think about it.

I was going to make this joke ffs

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

That's a bit unfair, about half of them are unclebodies

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
For the joke to work you have to assume Boris thinks those bodies matter

SA_Avenger
Oct 22, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

It already affects the young, they can contract and spread it, it just doesn't kill them. I don't think viruses specifically select for lethality unless it somehow increases communicability.

less lethal but more contagious viruses are the "worst" from what I read. Because they have more opportunity to mutate and then get deadlier. A very deadly virus has less oppportunity to infect a big amount of people.
The fact that the new strains mostly comes from places with a high resistance to the normal strain (around 70% in Brazil if I remember correctly) shows how effective the virus is at mutating and spreading again. So the more we let it loose the more dangerous it becomes. Shows how much the whole strategy in the west (Save the economy) has been a failure. While a full lock down in january/february last year would probably have saved us a lot of hassle.
My uneducated guess is that vaccine or not (because it'll already take years for everyone to get one and by that time the virus would have mutated), expect several years of this with lock downs falling down here and there.

edit: in the meanwhile wear masks (not single layer), keep your distances and wash your hands (and hope school stay closed as much as possible or that government get to their senses and introduce an hard lock down until there is 0 cases)

SA_Avenger fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jan 29, 2021

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
One of the longest running internet arguments of the past year appears to have now come to a close, and I'm glad that the majority have agreed that Harry Potter was written by the Wachowski sisters.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
So I complained a couple days ago about a place not getting back to me saying I would eat my words if they had a fair reason. Turns out one of them was ill and also my emails were getting filtered so fair enough. Had the second interview just now, turned out it wasn't even a technical one, more a "hey, get to know a couple of the other members of the team, make sure we'd actually like to work with you" kind of interview. Seemed to go alright and they seem like a pretty decent company to work for (if slightly disorganised but that is the most forgivable thing to me) so hopefully I will be gainfully employed soon.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

thebardyspoon posted:

So I complained a couple days ago about a place not getting back to me saying I would eat my words if they had a fair reason. Turns out one of them was ill and also my emails were getting filtered so fair enough. Had the second interview just now, turned out it wasn't even a technical one, more a "hey, get to know a couple of the other members of the team, make sure we'd actually like to work with you" kind of interview. Seemed to go alright and they seem like a pretty decent company to work for (if slightly disorganised but that is the most forgivable thing to me) so hopefully I will be gainfully employed soon.

Congrats!

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

thebardyspoon posted:

Awesome news, well done!

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Gratz bardyspoon! I cannot imagine how anxiety inducing job searching and so on is in a covid ravaged world

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
I got my callup for the vaccine today, so I finally bothered to google links between immunosuppressants and covid and it turns out there's apparently no signal in the global dataset to indicate anything from azathioprine to TNF inhibitors correlate to infection vulnerability or outcome.

I'm not going to stamp my feet and demand to remain a possible vector, especially as my partner is being constantly pinged with self-isolations through work. It would be nice if, since the government can change the guidance for each of the ~60 times they were horny or hungry or needed eyetests, they could check the data on vulnerable groups once per year or so. They have enough loving cases to go on.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
Same, got my text to book through today. I'm in group 4 (clinically vulnerable), if anyone wants to guage the progress. No idea what flavour of jab it is.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Given the dubious efficacy of the single vaccine approach it's hard to see how people in vulnerable categories will really benefit personally until the mass vaccination starts to drive the infectiousness down.

Cos like, you're not gonna personally put yourself at risk because you're now an unknown degree of less likely to catch it are you? You can't take someone who's been stuck at home for a year and say "well you still might catch it and die but you're less likely to than before so feel free to start licking shopping trolleys"

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

thebardyspoon posted:

So I complained a couple days ago about a place not getting back to me saying I would eat my words if they had a fair reason. Turns out one of them was ill and also my emails were getting filtered so fair enough.
Congrats! Every job I've managed to get since leaving uni has been from directly phoning (much as I hate using phones) the contact to find out that HR hadn't passed on my CV / an email had been filtered / someone had forgotten to contact me.

Job searchin peeps, it's always worth phoning back if you don't hear anything for a few days.

Cassiopeia
Feb 17, 2011
So in a situation that could probably only happen to me. I had the second dose of pfizer and had a very severe reaction. I am cev, shielding and also an NHS worker hence getting it slightly earlier than group 4. I ended up with a five day stay in hospital, was extremely poorly I dont have a lot of memory of it. I was ill at home 3 days prior to the ambulance being called.

In the end I have been diagnosed with myopericarditis (an inflammation of heart lining and muscle). I am immunosuppressed and I had spoken in a lot of detail with my consultant prior to getting it who weighed the risks of catching covid were greater. I am sure this is a freak event but the hospital have submitted my case to the yellow card scheme to provide data. So yeah, recovering at home for the foreseeable!

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
That's scary, glad to hear you're okay.

I have two doctor friends who have had both doses of the Pfizer jab and both were quite severely ill for 2-3 days after the second (nowhere near hospitalisation, just bad flu symptoms). It definitely doesn't gently caress around.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I guess that's the idea that it generates an immune response with the second one. I hope you recover as quick as possible and with no lasting harm.

Cassiopeia
Feb 17, 2011
Thanks. Yeah my doctor said although I dont probably feel like it right now, the fact I had such an extreme immune response means it has worked!

I'll be going back for followup scans to make sure theres no lasting damage. My breathing is still not great right now, but am assured it will be an acute illness not long term.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
so I put on Radio 4 in the car at lunch today and got unquestioning QAnon propaganda masquerading as a play :psyduck:

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Julio Cruz posted:

so I put on Radio 4 in the car at lunch today and got unquestioning QAnon propaganda masquerading as a play :psyduck:

They did another adaptation of HP Lovecrsft's "In The Mouth of Madness"?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
admittedly I only heard 2 sections of about 20 seconds each (because gently caress listening to it for any longer) but it was basically word-for-word right off /r/QAnon

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Julio Cruz posted:

The Archers has taken a twist.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
I found what I assume you heard on iPlayer and yeah the description does kind of make it sounds like a fantasy of a Qanon boomer who's children are just going to accept she believes bonkers poo poo now:

Our Truth, Their Lies
Drama

Our Truth Their Lies is a reactive drama about an alarming phenomenon in British society – the growing influence of conspiracy theories such as QAnon. High-profile proponents like David Icke come from a reassuringly loony fringe, but many of those now subscribing to and spreading unproven theories are hitherto rational people from very ordinary backgrounds. There are multiple gateways to QAnon obsession: a belief that 5G played a role in the pandemic, concerns that organised child sex abuse is coordinated by a cabal of global elites, fears that vaccines are a form of insidious government control. A belief in any one of these often exposes social media users to a barrage of unfounded stories about the others.

Our story backtracks through 2020 as it follows Jen’s journey into the darker reaches of the online conspiracy theory universe. We get a portrait of a loving, mostly functional family thrown into crisis as Michael and Louise try to make sense of Jen’s transformation. They reach an uneasy accommodation with Jen, but it is painfully apparent that she has seen the dark heart of the world and it’s her moral duty to spread the word. For her silence is not an option.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

a pipe smoking dog posted:

concerns that organised child sex abuse is coordinated by a cabal of global elites,
I mean...

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

loving lol @ "david icke is mental, unlike me, the rational brain, who only believes in the satanic lizard nonces because it's real"

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Cassiopeia posted:

So in a situation that could probably only happen to me. I had the second dose of pfizer and had a very severe reaction. I am cev, shielding and also an NHS worker hence getting it slightly earlier than group 4. I ended up with a five day stay in hospital, was extremely poorly I dont have a lot of memory of it. I was ill at home 3 days prior to the ambulance being called.

In the end I have been diagnosed with myopericarditis (an inflammation of heart lining and muscle). I am immunosuppressed and I had spoken in a lot of detail with my consultant prior to getting it who weighed the risks of catching covid were greater. I am sure this is a freak event but the hospital have submitted my case to the yellow card scheme to provide data. So yeah, recovering at home for the foreseeable!

What was the time lapse between your doses.
I'm not scheduled for any vaccinations yet (probably April / May) as even though I'm 60, I'm not a vulnerable. Also as it will be done by local GP it's likely to be the Oxford variety.
However, as many of my neighbours are in their 80s, some with access to transport have been taken to a place about 20 miles away dishing out the Pfizer one. Just wondering if any of them might get quite poorly after their second doses?

Also a friend who had the Pfizer had a bad reaction to the second dose too. But from what she described it sounds like the reaction I had to the flu vaccine which I had for the first time in decades about a month ago - severe chills, shaking, aches, etc.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Checked in on Alex Jones recently as I've ignored his schtick for years. Dunno what he's been huffing, as he's now claiming inter dimensional machine elves are controlling humanity to drink their blood.

A far cry from 9/11 trutherism and NWO madness.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Owen Jones on the other hand, has just launched his youtube interview series as a podcast:

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/the-owen-jones-podcast/id1550331378

First one is Stewart Lee, but he's got the Chomsky, Manning & Varoufakis ones on there as well.

Algol Star
Sep 6, 2010

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I'm not scheduled for any vaccinations yet (probably April / May) as even though I'm 60, I'm not a vulnerable. Also as it will be done by local GP it's likely to be the Oxford variety.
However, as many of my neighbours are in their 80s, some with access to transport have been taken to a place about 20 miles away dishing out the Pfizer one. Just wondering if any of them might get quite poorly after their second doses?

Also a friend who had the Pfizer had a bad reaction to the second dose too. But from what she described it sounds like the reaction I had to the flu vaccine which I had for the first time in decades about a month ago - severe chills, shaking, aches, etc.

Lots of old people have come in to the hospital with some combination of tiredness / vomiting / diarrhoea / fevers after having the vaccine. Of course lots of old people come in with this normally and lots of old people have had the vaccine recently so it's likely not all due to the vaccine. It just seems to generate a strong immune response which can be enough for older people to knock them off their feet a bit. Don't think anyone's been seriously ill just needed a bit of support.

Cassiopeia
Feb 17, 2011

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

It was 24 days between doses. I know a lot more people, with no underlying conditions who have had a harder time with the second dose. Not as extreme as me but like you describe, flu like symptoms for 24-48 hours after onset. Hopefully they should be ok but best to be prepared with supplies, paracetamol, fluids etc in case.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I don't believe everyone at the top is a paedophile, but I believe they know who the pimps are for the people who are and will do nothing to stop it because it's politically inconvenient to do so. I believe that Epstein and Maxwell were well known as pimps and that if you wanted it you could get something a little more hardcore from them. I believe that some of the rich and powerful were into it, some of them tried it the same way you or I would take a line of coke at a party if it was offered and you were already pished and some people were told "Hey, she's eighteen" and then only after was told she was fifteen and we were recording you.

I also do not for a single second think that Epstein was the only pimp in town and that the industry he worked has continued unabated. I reckon it holds a similar spot in the brains of the most powerful people as knowing that bombing countries kills kids.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Cassiopeia posted:

Where you in insane excrutiating pain that made you long for death?

Cassiopeia
Feb 17, 2011

His Divine Shadow posted:

Where you in insane excrutiating pain that made you long for death?

It was insanely painful. No drug touched the pain and they gave me plenty of them. A key feature of it is that it eases on leaning forward so I spent most of the time trying to find a position that was comfortable.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I might not be the biggest fan of Keir Starmer but LMBO at how savage the supposedly "impartial" BBC headline and leading paragraph is:

BBC News - Covid: Sir Keir Starmer's vaccine stance shot by both sides

leading paragraph posted:

This week Sir Keir Starmer answered some of his internal Labour critics by producing what looked suspiciously like a policy - a call to vaccinate teachers at half-term. How was it received and what lessons can the party learn from it?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Private Speech posted:

I might not be the biggest fan of Keir Starmer but LMBO at how savage the supposedly "impartial" BBC headline and leading paragraph is:

BBC News - Covid: Sir Keir Starmer's vaccine stance shot by both sides

It's factually accurate tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Cassiopeia posted:

It was insanely painful. No drug touched the pain and they gave me plenty of them. A key feature of it is that it eases on leaning forward so I spent most of the time trying to find a position that was comfortable.

Yeah sounds familiar. Gah.