Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

"Would I! Would I!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Das Boo posted:

Some Enchanted Evening gave us this clip and it's so smooth and well-timed that I forgive whatever else is in that episode.

Wow, I forgot about that. It's like they spent half their budget and time on that one animation.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

They made the best of their budget situation certainly; I remember thinking the deliberately lovely animation of the Happy Little Elves was one of the funniest things ever

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Happy Little Elves iirc was something they phased out since the audience didn't get the joke it was supposed to be bad on purpose.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Happy Little Elves iirc was something they phased out since the audience didn't get the joke it was supposed to be bad on purpose.

how did people just not understand that children like lovely tv?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Iron Crowned posted:

how did people just not understand that children like lovely tv?

Have you ever met a boomer

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Have you ever met a boomer

Yeah, they do like lovely TV too

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

DizzyBum posted:

Wow, I forgot about that. It's like they spent half their budget and time on that one animation.

That episode is kind of infamous in that it was the original first episode of the series but what they got back from the overseas animators was so off from what they wanted they had to almost completely reanimate it. So any quirks like that are because the episode was Frankensteined together out of different versions.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Iron Crowned posted:

Yeah, they do like lovely TV too

Yes, but they believe it's genius and are literally incapable of understanding anyone else having tastes that aren't theirs.

Hell, even ones who used to play video games themselves eventually become unable to process them, and think millennials are literally staring at empty static on their phones despite watching hard right propaganda on theirs all day.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Hell, even ones who used to play video games themselves eventually become unable to process them

my father claims that he gave up video games after Joust. more than one button is too many. he's also going to buy Red Dead Redemption once he gets a machine that can handle it.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Empty Sandwich posted:

my father claims that he gave up video games after Joust. more than one button is too many. he's also going to buy Red Dead Redemption once he gets a machine that can handle it.

I got my dad RDR2 for his birthday 3 years ago and he will not stop playing it. Last I heard, Arthur is sitting on 70 grand.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I sometimes just google random late episodes just to see where they go.

Homer becomes addicted to a reality TV show called Storage Battles and decides to participate in a storage unit auction as a result. He wins the storage unit with $1000, outbidding several townspeople and elephant Stampy. The family goes through its contents to find it is full of women's clothes and muscleman magazines belonging to Grampa Simpson. Marge comes to the conclusion that Grampa is a closeted homosexual who was forced to be heterosexual through most of his life. Homer and Marge set Grampa up with Waylon Smithers, but the plan fails when Mr. Burns arrives and scares Smithers off. Marge then admits to Grampa that she thought he was homosexual, to which Grampa becomes enraged and Mr. Burns reveals that Grampa actually used to be an old-time Gorgeous George-type wrestler called "Glamorous Godfrey", whose radical fighting style was heavily despised by the wrestling fan community, forcing him to retire. Burns reveals himself to be Godfrey's biggest fan (and only living one); he then persuades Grampa to return to the wrestling scene, which Grampa does. Though he is again met with loathing, Grampa continues the act under Burns's manipulation.

Bart soon becomes fascinated with Grampa and starts mimicking the mannerisms Grampa uses in the ring. However, he also attracts hatred and it worries Homer and Marge, but pleases Grampa and Burns. Under Burns's supervision, Grampa and Bart partner up in a tag team wrestling match. Marge tries to appeal to Grampa, but he turns her efforts down. However, he changes his mind when he observes Bart harassing the audience and takes on another wrestling identity that he calls "Honest Abe" in order to convince Bart to stop his ways. When Burns protests against this, Grampa and Bart defeat him in the ring. Afterwards, the two retire from wrestling.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
well

I like the part where Stampy is bidding

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
There's like five stories in there. I almost believe they are being created by Simpson-Bot 5000. It reads like an AI script after it's watched 30 hours of ads or something.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
what a bunch of clowns

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

bobjr posted:

I sometimes just google random late episodes just to see where they go.

Homer becomes addicted to a reality TV show called Storage Battles and decides to participate in a storage unit auction as a result. He wins the storage unit with $1000, outbidding several townspeople and elephant Stampy. The family goes through its contents to find it is full of women's clothes and muscleman magazines belonging to Grampa Simpson. Marge comes to the conclusion that Grampa is a closeted homosexual who was forced to be heterosexual through most of his life. Homer and Marge set Grampa up with Waylon Smithers, but the plan fails when Mr. Burns arrives and scares Smithers off. Marge then admits to Grampa that she thought he was homosexual, to which Grampa becomes enraged and Mr. Burns reveals that Grampa actually used to be an old-time Gorgeous George-type wrestler called "Glamorous Godfrey", whose radical fighting style was heavily despised by the wrestling fan community, forcing him to retire. Burns reveals himself to be Godfrey's biggest fan (and only living one); he then persuades Grampa to return to the wrestling scene, which Grampa does. Though he is again met with loathing, Grampa continues the act under Burns's manipulation.

Bart soon becomes fascinated with Grampa and starts mimicking the mannerisms Grampa uses in the ring. However, he also attracts hatred and it worries Homer and Marge, but pleases Grampa and Burns. Under Burns's supervision, Grampa and Bart partner up in a tag team wrestling match. Marge tries to appeal to Grampa, but he turns her efforts down. However, he changes his mind when he observes Bart harassing the audience and takes on another wrestling identity that he calls "Honest Abe" in order to convince Bart to stop his ways. When Burns protests against this, Grampa and Bart defeat him in the ring. Afterwards, the two retire from wrestling.

This is offensive in at least 4 different ways.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It doesn't even have the excuse of being old to justify the "women's clothes equals gay" part.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Plus Simpsons has done trans Grampa at least twice before (cabaret Abe seducing Hitler, Abe losing his medicine and transitioning abruptly).

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Also in Simpsons world “gay” = “must get Smithers involved”

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

That episode is kind of infamous in that it was the original first episode of the series but what they got back from the overseas animators was so off from what they wanted they had to almost completely reanimate it. So any quirks like that are because the episode was Frankensteined together out of different versions.

Oh yeah, I remember all of that crazy poo poo. I had the Season 1 DVD boxset and also got to learn about the horrible first treatment of that episode. That episode is just such an anomaly.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Empty Sandwich posted:

well

I like the part where Stampy is bidding

Only redeeming moment

Data Graham posted:

Also in Simpsons world “gay” = “must get Smithers involved”
Sadly so

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

I miss when the joke was "Smithers is so subservient to Burns he might as well be in love with him."

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I miss when the joke was "Smithers is so subservient to Burns he might as well be in love with him."

Was his Malibu Stacey obsession during this time too? Because "creepily overdevoted lackey with creepy-for-his-demographic interests" is also funnier than "gay guy likes girl stuff".

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

There was a time when the gadabout line was "he's not gay, he's Burns-o-sexual"; I forget who put that about, the showrunners or the fans

But then gay magazines and such were like "gently caress that, that's a cop-out, embrace it or don't"

So they embraced it and here we are

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

YeahTubaMike posted:

Was his Malibu Stacey obsession during this time too? Because "creepily overdevoted lackey with creepy-for-his-demographic interests" is also funnier than "gay guy likes girl stuff".

I think that's around the time they started sliding into "gay guy" territory.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
There's a mad lib style episode outline for new Simpsons. You can't convince me there's not.

Homer decides to _____________ (verb), so the family goes to _____________ (place). While there, _____________ (character A) runs into _____________ (side character) and discovers a new interest in _____________(verb). _____________(character A)'s new interest/character trait causes a rift with the family, so they team up with _____________ (celebrity) to restore the natural order of things by _____________(verb). Instead, _____________(character A) doubles down. But when _____________(character A) sees how their new interest/character trait is affecting their loved ones, _____________(character A) decides it's best to drop the interest/character trait.

B Plot: Marge/Lisa (circle one) decide to try _____________(pop culture verb), but it turns out it's more trouble than it's worth.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Season 1 wasn't that great imo

Grumblepuff
Dec 29, 2018

You think you taught me a lesson, babe
Betcha think you "got through to me"
No one gets through here anymore
Right

Das Boo posted:

There's a mad lib style episode outline for new Simpsons. You can't convince me there's not.

Homer decides to _____________ (verb), so the family goes to _____________ (place). While there, _____________ (character A) runs into _____________ (side character) and discovers a new interest in _____________(verb). _____________(character A)'s new interest/character trait causes a rift with the family, so they team up with _____________ (celebrity) to restore the natural order of things by _____________(verb). Instead, _____________(character A) doubles down. But when _____________(character A) sees how their new interest/character trait is affecting their loved ones, _____________(character A) decides it's best to drop the interest/character trait.

B Plot: Marge/Lisa (circle one) decide to try _____________(pop culture verb), but it turns out it's more trouble than it's worth.

Homer decides to emigrate, so the family goes to Elon Musk's walk-in mailbox. While there, Bart runs into Professor Frink and discovers a new interest in spelunking. Bart's new interest causes a rift with the family, so they team up with Sophie B. Hawkins to restore the natural order of things by vomiting. Instead, Bart doubles down. But when Bart sees how their new interest is affecting their loved ones, he decides it's best to drop the interest.

B Plot: Marge decide to try taking TikTok videos of Milhouse playing with dolls, but it turns out it's more trouble than it's worth.

Thank you for doing this, Das Boo. I'll wait patiently for my Simpsons money.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Welcome! The Real or Fake Episode game still makes me sad.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Homer decides to run for sheriff, so the family goes to the Hat Emporium. While there, Marge runs into Ned Flanders and discovers a new interest in Warhammer. Marge's new interest causes a rift with the family, so they team up with Barack Obama to restore the natural order of things by throwing a massive 50s dance competition. Instead, Marge doubles down. But when Marge sees how their new interest/character trait is affecting their loved ones, Marge decides it's best to drop the interest/character trait.

B Plot: Lisa decide to try reviving old pop songs by shooting fun videos with Maggie, but it turns out it's more trouble than it's worth.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Cemetry Gator posted:

Homer decides to run for sheriff, so the family goes to the Hat Emporium. While there, Marge runs into Ned Flanders and discovers a new interest in Warhammer. Marge's new interest causes a rift with the family, so they team up with Barack Obama to restore the natural order of things by throwing a massive 50s dance competition. Instead, Marge doubles down. But when Marge sees how their new interest/character trait is affecting their loved ones, Marge decides it's best to drop the interest/character trait.

B Plot: Lisa decide to try reviving old pop songs by shooting fun videos with Maggie, but it turns out it's more trouble than it's worth.

I can believe this is a real episode right down to reusing the 50s dance competition episode theme

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Homer decides to become a chicken farmer, so the family goes to North Haverbrook (we see the destroyed monorail just for old times' sake). While there, Bart runs into Sideshow Mel and discovers a new interest in making documentaries for "GetPix". Bart's new interest causes a rift with the family, so they team up with the Tiger King to restore the natural order of things by making him fight tigers on camera. Instead, Bart doubles down. But when Bart sees how their new interest is affecting their loved ones, Bart decides it's best to drop the interest.

B Plot: Lisa decides to try manipulate the stock market with the nerds at school, but it turns out it's more trouble than it's worth.

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Homer decides to become a chicken farmer, so the family goes to North Haverbrook (we see the destroyed monorail just for old times' sake).

I don't get it.
Can we at least have Bitey the Possum come on screen and say "DENTAL PLAN" or something?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Das Boo is a deep cover Simpsons writer mining this thread for future scripts. Look forward to each of these posts to come true.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Actual episode idea: Marge needs a job so Ned hires her at the leftorium, where she learns to hate him and bonds with Homer on a new level.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The Leftorium has been closed for years and Ned is now Bart's teacher.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
It's a flashback episode. Bart is 6.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Here’s the episode plot where that happens.

While the Simpsons are eating pork chops, a solar eclipse occurs. Marge, Maggie, Lisa and Bart go outdoors to watch it, but Homer refuses to leave the dining room. Irritated with Homer for not watching the eclipse, Marge wants him to go on a date night with her the next day. After a romantic evening, Homer and Marge return home and prepare to have sex, but they are interrupted by a visit from Ned Flanders, who asks for advice; he has been forced to close down the Leftorium and is now out of a job. Homer suggests that Ned apply for job at the Nuclear Plant's human resources division, while his sons Rod and Todd stay with the Simpsons. However, Todd begins to irritate Lisa, and Flanders's heavy handed methods at the Plant similarly irritate Homer and the other employees.

That evening, Homer prays for Ned to be fired, which occurs the next day after Flanders suggests that Mr Burns give money to charity. He is soon hired by Springfield Harbor Cruises to be a dance instructor, but his use of the Bible as a guide to dancing leads to him losing this job as well. He is then hired by Rolling Stone Magazine, but is fired again for shaving hair off all members of The Rolling Stones. Afterwards, he attempted to sell bibles with his own Bible stand, but is dwindled by an adjacent Koran stand, leaving him no choice but to become unemployed.

After Marge suggests that he follow in Jesus's footsteps as a teacher, Flanders eventually gets a job at Springfield Elementary as a substitute teacher. Initially, he feels pressured by all of the disobedient students, particularly with Nelson running the entire plan to ruin Flanders' job. He resigns after Bart spits a spitball onto his mustache, after he was peer-pressured by Nelson.

As Bart feels regretful for his actions, he and Homer go to Moe's to discuss Flanders's ruined life. Eventually, Bart comes up with an idea; he and Homer go to Flanders' house to apologize for ruining his chances at teaching and to convince him to give it another chance. Ned is hesitant at first, but Bart encourages him to continue teaching in the memory of his late wife, Edna Krabappel. With the help of a few gadgets, Bart and Ned intimidate the students into behaving by pulling several tricks and disguising them as acts of God. With his confidence restored, Ned thanks Bart for his help

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Homer decides to get into mining Bitcoin, so the family goes to Bronson, Missouri. While there, Maggie runs into Roy and discovers a new interest in stamp collecting. Maggie's new interest causes a rift with the family, so they team up with Kidd Rock to restore the natural order of things by winning an underground shopping cart drag race. Instead, Maggie doubles down. But when Maggie sees how her new interest is affecting her loved ones, Maggie decides it's best to drop the it.

B Plot: Lisa (circle one) decide to try LPing Five Nights at Freddy's on YuToob, but it turns out it's more trouble than it's worth.

So the challenge: have I reconstructed a modern episode with this or not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Hamhammer (by Works Gameshop)