Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Payndz posted:

Yeah, I think the Viper transformed into something that wasn't a Viper to do any cool stuff, so great work on your message there guys. (The Knight Rider reboot made the same mistake, turning Mustang KITT into a hideous custom hot rod to go fast. Maybe Ford wouldn't allow the Mustang to be seen breaking the speed limit.)

It transformed from a red convertable to a silver hardtop with a different grill and rear window. Later they got a new car that transformed from a blue hardtop into a silver hardtop with a different grill and rear window. Also, I just found out Chrysler designed the :siren:Defender Mode:siren: themselves.

Really they just wanted an excuse to show off their sweet sweet 90s CGI:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWbP7RJGZss

I remember watching all 4 seasons, even though I thought they only had 2. On the other hand I thought Invisible Man ran for like 5 seasons but it only ran for 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

LongDarkNight posted:

M.A.N.T.I.S.

Oh hey show that had a black genius paraplegic as the main character. And it's equally awesome cousin Super Force.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

V-Men posted:

Oh hey show that had a black genius paraplegic
Must have been A Thing around that time, as the War of the Worlds series did as well. It also had a Native American character played by a Hispanic actor. Sounds familiar.

Oh hey, they both got killed off at the start of the second season to be replaced by a white guy!

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Anyone remember Legend starring MacGyver and Q? No... Well they should reboot that instead of Firefly.

There was also a thing I remember seeing once about a future city and also cavemen so I looked it up and... it's a lot more yikes from the wiki description than I remember.

"Citizens of the city wear a colored crystal on their sternum based on the individual's genetic makeup, and can mate only with other citizens of the same color. Progeny resulting from people of two different colors would have the genetic mutation that, when combined with the "fountain of youth" drug, created the race of proto-humanoids."

It also had Kevin Conroy in live action, so there's that.

8one6 fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jan 29, 2021

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

8one6 posted:

Anyone remember Legend starring Jack O'Neill and Q? No... Well they should reboot that instead of Firefly.

Fixed this for you.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Hey I just heard about this 60s show called Star Trek. Maybe they should reboot that.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

HD DAD posted:

Hey I just heard about this 60s show called Star Trek. Maybe they should reboot that.

I dunno, it sounds pretty lame compared to M.A.N.T.I.S.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

HD DAD posted:

Maybe they should reboot that.

no please don't

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Payndz posted:

Must have been A Thing around that time, as the War of the Worlds series did as well.

I wonder if it was just the diversity double-whammy that made so many shows of the era do that exact thing?

Now that I'm thinking of it, even TNG had a black character with a (different) disability.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Watching TNG S6E25, "Timescape," right now.

Picard is discussing his attendance at a physiognomy lecture.

Hmmm.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Insanite posted:

Hmmm.

It's writers trying to be cleverer than they are. Like at the end of Darmok, when Picard is reading the Homeric Hymns (in the original, of course). It sounds cool but they're really just busted-rear end anonymous doggerel compared to Homer himself.

e: I've been waiting decades to say that and it feels so good

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

It could also be that what propels humanity into a post-scarcity utopia is the embrace of Victorian-era scientific racism.

I mean, that, or everyone involved checked out as soon as they saw "phys-somethingorother."

Kind of want to do a rewatch with errors like that in mind.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Insanite posted:

It could also be that what propels humanity into a post-scarcity utopia is the embrace of Victorian-era scientific racism.

I mean, that, or everyone involved checked out as soon as they saw "phys-somethingorother."

Don't be ridiculous. Federation-timeframe phrenology not only is completely free of race bias but is the most efficient and effective method of determining what color of Starfleet tunic you wear.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Insanite posted:

Hmmm.

It could have just been a historian or classics lecturer discussing it as a historical phenomenon. We know that there's basically no Earth history or culture to study post-20th century in Star Trek because nobody ever mentions it, so they probably take what they can get.

There's an astronomy person on youtube who complained that there's an episode where someone said they were going to a lecture on metaphysics, because metaphysics is a branch of philosophy and has nothing to do with physics the scientific discipline, but I'd say that if you regularly run into omnipotent energy blobs and go back in time and poo poo, a good grounding in metaphysics seems like it would be pretty handy. We know they need a firm command of formal logic in order to defeat malicious computers.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Insanite posted:

Hmmm.

he's a big fan of 21st century korean cinema

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

It could have just been a historian or classics lecturer discussing it as a historical phenomenon. We know that there's basically no Earth history or culture to study post-20th century in Star Trek because nobody ever mentions it, so they probably take what they can get.

There's an astronomy person on youtube who complained that there's an episode where someone said they were going to a lecture on metaphysics, because metaphysics is a branch of philosophy and has nothing to do with physics the scientific discipline, but I'd say that if you regularly run into omnipotent energy blobs and go back in time and poo poo, a good grounding in metaphysics seems like it would be pretty handy. We know they need a firm command of formal logic in order to defeat malicious computers.

Nah, it’s pretty clearly a writing error: https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Physiognomy

Unless racism is the best way to staff deep space assignments.

Then again, we rarely see deeply integrated starships. :(

Insanite fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jan 29, 2021

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Metaphysics makes more sense than quantum physics for Picard.

Also he's way too into Shakespeare, especially for someone who's supposed to be raised by a rural conservative Frenchman.

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

It’s really weird how much they avoid taking about what life is like in the Federation and on Earth in TNG. All I heard sounds like it’s great but there’s not much to go on.

A side effect of this makes Worf even more of an rear end in a top hat. The guy was adopted at like age 6 by Russian nationals, lived on a federation colony for a few years (as far as I could tell) and then apparently spent his teen years and early adulthood in Russia and San Francisco. Sees Spot and pretends like he doesn’t know what a cat is. It’s like the writers kept forgetting he was adopted and lived for years on Earth, or, my preferred explanation, Worf is just a huge rear end in a top hat with an inferiority complex.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
These are the same writers who said Data was around humans for like 20+ years whereas in Encounter at Farpoint it seems like he's fresh off the boat of being like... turned on.

Isn't he like already a loving Lieutenant as well by that episode?

Edit - by the next episode he is loving a lieutenant AMIRITE?????

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

BonHair posted:

Metaphysics makes more sense than quantum physics for Picard.

Also he's way too into Shakespeare, especially for someone who's supposed to be raised by a rural conservative Frenchman.

England : Picard :: Klingon Empire : Worf

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

jeeves posted:

These are the same writers who said Data was around humans for like 20+ years whereas in Encounter at Farpoint it seems like he's fresh off the boat of being like... turned on.

Isn't he like already a loving Lieutenant as well by that episode?

Edit - by the next episode he is loving a lieutenant AMIRITE?????

Yeah lol I rewatched a couple S1 and S2 episodes a bit ago (don’t skip episodes unless you are gonna die in like two weeks and TNG is on your bucket list for some reason), and Data is all “ah yes, [concept], now I will talk like a thesaurus for a minute.” He stops doing that in S3, and Worf goes from unhinged rage monster to slightly more complex dude who just has regular mental issues. First couple seasons are still overall good but the characterization for those two totally changes for the better.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Maybe Worf's Russian parents just like... left him in a cage?

They're foster parents and all.

PS: my entire experience of foster parents comes from Terminator 2.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Worf is just a (funny) Dick, He is still being an Klingonaboo rear end in a top hat even in DS9.

DS9 is also very good so far for clowning on O'Brien.

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

Also one of my favorite character changes, the episode where Deanna Troi is in charge of the bridge during an accident and saves the enterprise by doing... nothing! She doesn’t know how to do anything! This turns out to be correct. (e: because “Ensign Ro” is short for “Ensign Wrong, always)

Then next season there’s a whole bit where she gets to do the training and exams to be a qualified bridge officer, which was :3: and felt like closing up a pretty big weakness for the character. Came WAY too late if you ask me but it was neat.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Rob Rockley posted:

Also one of my favorite character changes, the episode where Deanna Troi is in charge of the bridge during an accident and saves the enterprise by doing... nothing! She doesn’t know how to do anything! This turns out to be correct.

Then next season there’s a whole bit where she gets to do the training and exams to be a qualified bridge officer, which was :3: and felt like closing up a pretty big weakness for the character. Came WAY too late if you ask me but it was neat.

I mean she didn't do nothing, she stood her ground (which was doing nothing).
The lesson she had to learn in that second episode felt like a good one for her as well.

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

Zedd posted:

I mean she didn't do nothing, she stood her ground (which was doing nothing).
The lesson she had to learn in that second episode felt like a good one for her as well.

Yeah I realized she was arguing with Ensign Ro, whose job is to always be wrong, even though I otherwise like the character just for being something different. Good judgement, but it was silly she was ostensibly in charge and knew so little.

Starfleet isn’t very good at anything other than Whale Talk and negotiations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Rob Rockley posted:

It’s really weird how much they avoid taking about what life is like in the Federation and on Earth in TNG. All I heard sounds like it’s great but there’s not much to go on.

A side effect of this makes Worf even more of an rear end in a top hat. The guy was adopted at like age 6 by Russian nationals, lived on a federation colony for a few years (as far as I could tell) and then apparently spent his teen years and early adulthood in Russia and San Francisco. Sees Spot and pretends like he doesn’t know what a cat is. It’s like the writers kept forgetting he was adopted and lived for years on Earth, or, my preferred explanation, Worf is just a huge rear end in a top hat with an inferiority complex.
I think after he got adopted, Worf grew up in Minsk.

Given how Alexander seemed to reach a size comparable to a six year old in one or two years, and full physical size in eight or nine, I like to imagine Worf's soccer-related killign accident (I'm not just hallucinating that, am I?) was because he was the size of one Michael Dorn and playing in the seven year old's league. Whoopsie doodle!

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Rob Rockley posted:

Also one of my favorite character changes, the episode where Deanna Troi is in charge of the bridge during an accident and saves the enterprise by doing... nothing! She doesn’t know how to do anything! This turns out to be correct. (e: because “Ensign Ro” is short for “Ensign Wrong, always)

Whoa, I will not accept this libelous talk about Ensign Ro. Easily the coolest ex-Federation officer in TNG. Wish Forbes hadn’t turned down DS9.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

When Q asks Obrien if he was one of the little people in that one DS9, is he being racist and calling him a leprechaun?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Rob Rockley posted:

Yeah I realized she was arguing with Ensign Ro, whose job is to always be wrong, even though I otherwise like the character just for being something different. Good judgement, but it was silly she was ostensibly in charge and knew so little.

Starfleet isn’t very good at anything other than Whale Talk and negotiations.

O'Brien mansplaining to her she was in charge is peak O'Brien.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/TheInsaneRobin/status/1355217573521059843?s=20
This really could have been a bomb-rear end action sequence

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Happy 25 Anniversary to the episode that gave us Paris & Janeway’s french bread babies

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I know it doesn't really matter and it's the future and countries are whatever but Minsk is in Belarus.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Minsk.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Hahaha I'd forgotten all about that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=138gX3wolOo

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
If they did what they did to Paris and Janeway to turn them back to those lizard babies would they have gotten a few human babies?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Cross-Section posted:

https://twitter.com/TheInsaneRobin/status/1355217573521059843?s=20
This really could have been a bomb-rear end action sequence

I really wish they went with the original cut of the ending where Picard tries to save Ru'afo and Ru'afo just gives him the finger, hops inside the injector and rides it into oblivion, rather than having Action Picard basically just murder him.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Insanite posted:

Maybe words just mean different things in the 23rd century. Noon used to be at 3pm.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The blank blue screens really stood out to me when I rewatched Insurrection last year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

HopperUK posted:

I know it doesn't really matter and it's the future and countries are whatever but Minsk is in Belarus.

The USSR still exists in TNG