Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
I see jank as a positive in small doses. Like with a low budget but well made b-movie, such as Evil Dead 2. Adds to the charm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Where did they even find a Pascal development environment that can target modern computers? And why would you inflict that on yourself when nothing about that is going to come through in the final product?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

haveblue posted:

Where did they even find a Pascal development environment that can target modern computers? And why would you inflict that on yourself when nothing about that is going to come through in the final product?

HROT

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Too brown.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

haveblue posted:

Czechoslovakia

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

verbal enema posted:

Czechoslovakia

American spotted

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

FreePascal seems to be trundling away still, and has SDL bindings. Dunno if that's what the used though.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

haveblue posted:

Of all the things to borrow from Chasm: The Rift, that's gotta be the weirdest. I guess they could have used GNU Pascal... or Delphi...
edit: Or yes, FreePascal.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/JSJisDuke/status/1355035242281664515?s=20

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

hell yeah

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Pascal?!

Was FORTRAN a little too retro for them?

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Who wants to write a retro FPS in Malebolge?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Please try the FPS I wrote in Erlang, system requirements are 50 cell tower management nodes and a GTX 1060

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I'd say someone should try making an FPS in Pie in the Sky engine but that already happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPEY1cFNZJs&t=4s

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Angry_Ed posted:

I'd say someone should try making an FPS in Pie in the Sky engine but that already happened.

what the gently caress

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

He liked my "Always bet on Duke" reply. Hail to the king.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
the mst3k movie came out in 1996 what

the loving

gently caress

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

verbal enema posted:

the mst3k movie came out in 1996 what

the loving

gently caress

That entire film is burned into my neurons.

"Put the men's room in the tower WHAT WAS I THINKING??"

Anyway Eric Andre but Deus Ex: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOz8i5nngcE

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
HROT is pretty interesting, I was expecting Russian quake but its more like Russian half-life (with some quake). Idk about this engine they're using but it runs well and definitely looks the part.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Not really related question at all - but are any of the bajillion Portal/Portal 2 fan made sequels good? Some look amazing but I'm worried about the difficulty being stratospheric (always an issue with fan content).

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Angry_Ed posted:

Did later versions of the Pie in the Sky engine get better or did this person somehow manage to do that themselves? Because that looks and runs way better than every other Pie in the Sky game I've seen. I dig the aesthetic too. The paper enemies toppling over when they die looks really good.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

catlord posted:

Did later versions of the Pie in the Sky engine get better or did this person somehow manage to do that themselves? Because that looks and runs way better than every other Pie in the Sky game I've seen. I dig the aesthetic too. The paper enemies toppling over when they die looks really good.

It was apparently a later version of the engine but I don't know much else other than that.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Angry_Ed posted:

Wow they actually didn't use the default HUD

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0GinqO4lhU

Someone is streaming the entire canceled XBLA remaster of Goldeneye and it looks glorious. It’s a near final build that has all the levels and multiplayer.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jan 29, 2021

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Someone leak that already, hot drat

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Taintrunner posted:

Someone leak that already, hot drat

The guy playing this on this channel hints it may leak soon.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Why was it cancelled? Rights issues?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

anatomi posted:

Why was it cancelled? Rights issues?

Yep. It was very nearly done and Nintendo backed out

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

haveblue posted:

Yep. It was very nearly done and Nintendo backed out

This streamer straight up said it wasn't Nintendo but "the right holders," whoever else that's supposed to be.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

treat posted:

This streamer straight up said it wasn't Nintendo but "the right holders," whoever else that's supposed to be.

MGM? The game is a mess when it comes to IP.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

SeANMcBAY posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0GinqO4lhU

Someone is streaming the entire canceled XBLA remaster of Goldeneye and it looks glorious. It’s a near final build that has all the levels and multiplayer.

That reminds me, I never played the spinoff where you play as the villain and the remake with Daniel Craig. Are those worth checking out?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Castor Poe posted:

That reminds me, I never played the spinoff where you play as the villain and the remake with Daniel Craig. Are those worth checking out?

No and no.

If you want more Goldeneye then play Perfect Dark and the Timesplitters games.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

SeANMcBAY posted:

No and no.

To expand on this, the spin off is 0nly worth it on the Nintendo DS, where it manages to be the first fps on the system since the Metroid demo. Still not a good game, though.

Timesplitters and Perfect Dark are literal sequels that, while having different stories, are made by the same team and expand on gameplay ideas.

Now, if you want a Bond game that has been totally forgotten but tried to be a sequel to Goldeneye in every meaningful way, you're in luck. Check out The World Is Not Enough for N64 and PSX. It has been completely forgotten, probably because it really didn't reach the heights of Goldeneye and was released during the same time as when Rare presented Perfect Dark as the REAL sequel. Still a fun curio, though.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
the Craig Goldeneye was fine enough as "CoD but trying a little to incorporate a bit of the multiple objectives thing"

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

That build has a message to MGM/EON in the credits asking to bring back Goldeneye so I’m putting the blame on them for it not being released.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Homora Gaykemi posted:

the Craig Goldeneye was fine enough as "CoD but trying a little to incorporate a bit of the multiple objectives thing"

It does take the piss when you're still at the Dam after like 90 minutes though!

Also I really hope that Goldeneye remake build leaks soon.

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011

SeANMcBAY posted:

No and no.

This is the best possible answer. Can't speak for the Goldeneye remake, but Rogue Agent is a pretty bad shooter in general, with the overall weapon feel being surprisingly terrible. Shotgun feels pretty awful in particular, the only thing of note is that there's a railgun that is fairly solid.

On a related note, I think that the best overall Bond shooter of that era is probably Nightfire, or at least the console version of Nightfire. Agent Under Fire is good too, but I think it's largely inferior outside of its implementation of grapple hooks. I spent a huge amount of time with Nightfire multiplayer growing up.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Wamdoodle posted:

Wow they actually didn't use the default HUD

The one chance to have an actual paper doll damage thing in that engine and they blew it.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Craig Goldeneye was fine. They actually put some effort into it with modifying the story to fit the Craig era; the worst part is excising Boris entirely. The way to play it is to crank the difficulty up which gives you the max amount of objectives in each mission and disables health regen. It's a bit simplistic in gameplay presumably because it was originally a Wii game. Bodies disappear instantly and stealth is largely "figure out the order in which to headshot each guard with your silenced pistol so they don't see each other before their corpses fade away".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

UnknownMercenary posted:

Craig Goldeneye was fine. They actually put some effort into it with modifying the story to fit the Craig era; the worst part is excising Boris entirely.

Was Alan Cumming really not available/too expensive? :P