Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I'm just glad that the ramifications are actually being talked about, given how broadly they were glossed over in the films.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
I like that when Jimmy introduced himself to Monica, he flipped his card using the close-up magic techniques he was trying to learn in Ant-Man and the Wasp. I'm glad they gave him something else to do in the MCU.

The opening covering the return of the people who were "blipped" is something I've pondered since Endgame came back. Like, that is some potentially scary poo poo, and the show didn't shy away from it

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Alright didn't expect a straight modern day episode quite yet. I didn't mind the Monica backstory though. She doesn't have any powers yet though so I feel like either returning from The Blip or Wanda's illusion being made from big bang energy will contribute to that.

Who's the person in witness protection? Maybe Ralph?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

massive spider posted:

The way they were watching the broadcast seemed really unrealistic (I'm talking about character decisions before someone points out that yes, the whole thing is unrealistic), this is their only viewpoint into whats happening in the town, if they can pull every genius they can onto it you'd think there would be like, 100 CRT TVs stacked up and every hand in the room watching the show details obsessively. Especially when they try to interfere with the broadcast. And snarky expert lady is really bad at spotting the obvious read that Wanda looks visibly disturbed by intrusions and that is relevant and potentially dangerous

It'd be even more unrealistic if they could find 100 CRT TVs.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

massive spider posted:

And snarky expert lady is really bad at spotting the obvious read that Wanda looks visibly disturbed by intrusions and that is relevant and potentially dangerous

Well, yes and no, the episodes SWORD were viewing were edited for content. They were specifically unable to see some things around intrusions. From one scene where someone was watching the Westview show, it also looked like a scene in the episode we *didn’t* see. I think Wanda was outside talking to someone on the street? Someone may need to verify. Which means the SWORD agents were seeing a weird long form live stream of a 50s episode, then the 60s, etc...While we got a further edited down sitcom length version along with stuff the agents specifically didn’t see.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

tsob posted:

I very much doubt that the show is finished with the sitcom format at this point anyway. They've only done the 50's, 60's and 70's so far and we know there's at least some 90's and 00's homages to things like Full House to go. It's more likely the next 4 episodes will each homage another decade with a superficial sitcom format but with some more oddity occuring, similar to the way episode 3 played out rather than being dedicated entirely to the sitcom aspect like episodes 1 and 2 and that only the final episode will have no sitcom element.

Yeah, but the sitcom bits are interesting primarily because of how much they limit our perspective. Once we've seen behind the curtain, putting it back again seems a bit futile.

Hopefully I'm wrong.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
The first act was what I've wanted since the first act of Endgame, and got a mention of in Far From Home. A good glimpse of how terrifying not only the Snap but the Unsnappening were for normal people, even clued-into-space-nonsense people like Monica.

Trying to organize my thinking here, there are four levels of reality in Westview, right?
Sitcom-as-broadcast: This is what SWORD gets, with intrusions fully edited out.
Sitcom-as-we-see-it: This is what we saw in previous weeks, including intrusion hiccups, but not Wanda's visible real powers
Events-as-they-occur: What we first saw this week, with Wanda actually physically manipulating the world and Vizombie (the Vizombie reveal was when I said "oh, things are MUCH worse than we thought they were.")
Actual Westview: bent, folded, spindled and mutilated by Wanda. Not available to take your call at this moment.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

sethsez posted:

Yeah, but the sitcom bits are interesting primarily because of how much they limit our perspective. Once we've seen behind the curtain, putting it back again seems a bit futile.

Hopefully I'm wrong.

My guess is that the further sitcom episodes will either be interspersed with Outside stuff, or the sitcom episodes will be more heavily intruded on--everything is still in sitcom world, but with way more weird radio voices and crashed helicopter drones

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
Super interested to hear Monica's account of her time in Westview. I enjoyed this episode a lot, it's cool to have the expanded perspective of what they see outside versus what happens inside, and the extended conversation with Monica about Ultron. and good lord, that Vision visage :stonk:

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

BlackIronHeart posted:

The Blip is loving terrifying. What happens if I was on the subway when I got Snapped? Do I reform in the same seat on the same train (unoccupied or not) or do I reform in the same physical space in the subway tunnel, train or no? gently caress.

It's been basically handwaved away as "Banner/Hulk is smart and they calculated for all of it when they had the gauntlet, which gave them infinite power" and everyone got back safe

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by
If we just go by what's in the show rather than the comics, there's a very real possibility that Wanda has stolen someone's babies.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

jivjov posted:

My guess is that the further sitcom episodes will either be interspersed with Outside stuff, or the sitcom episodes will be more heavily intruded on--everything is still in sitcom world, but with way more weird radio voices and crashed helicopter drones

My guess is that openly admitting that Wanda is the villain of this piece now just acts to confirm that someone is trying to influence or manipulate her for their own ends honestly. Which, at least on paper sounds less interesting, but could still be fun depending on how they handle it. So the remaining episodes will probably build up more the mystery around who or what else is at play in Westview, rather than just around what's happening with Wanda. Or it could be that it'll concentrate more on Vision's experience trying to piece together what's going on, whether he's real or not etc. This episode pulled back a curtain, but there could still be more curtains to pull basically.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
I loving cackled when Agent Woo busted out his practical magic. I'll admit, he and Dr Lewis have an amusing chemistry

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

tsob posted:

My guess is that openly admitting that Wanda is the villain of this piece now just acts to confirm that someone is trying to influence or manipulate her for their own ends honestly. Which, at least on paper sounds less interesting, but could still be fun depending on how they handle it. So the remaining episodes will probably build up more the mystery around who or what else is at play in Westview, rather than just around what's happening with Wanda. Or it could be that it'll concentrate more on Vision's experience trying to piece together what's going on, whether he's real or not etc. This episode pulled back a curtain, but there could still be more curtains to pull basically.

I think I would hate it a lot if the tension in the show relied entirely on SWORD not knowing (most of) what we know

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Codependent Poster posted:

It's been basically handwaved away as "Banner/Hulk is smart and they calculated for all of it when they had the gauntlet, which gave them infinite power" and everyone got back safe

Yeah, the idea is that he wished for people to be back safely. Like if you were in a plane when you bliped, you're probably gonna reappear in the ground around the zone where the plane was passing by , or appear in the same plane you were on, no matter where it's flying at the moment, and just stuff like that.

Haven't watched this episode, so avoiding all your spoilers hahahha

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I kind of understand the criticism that the show should have stuck with the sitcom stuff, but the third episode didn't do nearly enough to progress the mystery to justify them continuing to do that, and giving us an idea of "reality" was necessary or it was all going to feel really untethered eventually. Plus there's no way they're just done with the sitcom stuff, and this will allow them to do more interesting things like crosscutting between the two environments and having them affect each other.

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

tsob posted:

I completely disagree. They haven't done anything to indicate that someone else is in control of the situation, and I think its just Wanda and her grief driving the whole thing. The zombie vision shot seems to imply that vision is, in fact, still dead, so it seems probable that she's doing some sort of Weekend at Bernie's shenanigans. The implication at the end of the episode that they can not actually go anywhere else seems to suggest that it is the proximity to vision's body that is making it all possible, so if there is a "big bad" that has yet to be revealed, it could be someone that is trying to use Vision to reverse engineer a new Ultron (hence the references), but I'm pretty sure the whole point of this series is to make it absolutely clear just how powerful Wanda is, which to me means that she is not being manipulated by anyone.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

BrianWilly posted:

Kinda weird for Jimmy to be calling her Wanda like they're besties or something. But I guess that's Jimmy for you.

What else would he call her? Especially when he's trying to get a reaction/response? Hello? Ms. Maximoff? Former Avenger? Red-haired Sokovian person?

I like that Jimmy and Darcy come off as smart, highly competent people and not wacky comic relief.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

feel like that whiteboard "Why a hexagon?" is pretty significant still. clearly Swarm was a fakeout but there's something weird going on

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

:stare: holyshit Did Wanda stole Vision's empty carcass? Or is the theory that there was a backup save of his personality thanks to Shuri might be true? (One that doesn't have registered Wanda and Thanos killing him) He seems to be a bit too independent to be Wanda's full puppet. Gonna guess they were truly trying to bring Vision back but Wanda for whatever reasons took away his body before it was reconstructed. That would be really messed up. Anyways, that was a shocking reveal. Holy poo poo.

There's another new Wandavision spot with NOW lots of more spoilers. Seriously, don't watch it if you wanna be surprised for the next episodes: Seems Vision is gonna cross over the barrier and in to the real world. HOLY gently caress.

Edit, dumb fan theory: So if this Vision is a construct created by Wanda, and considering what we saw with the not-a-bee keeper rope, and with Monica's 70's clothes, then things created in TV world can exist in the real world. That means that this fake Vision might have a chance to exist in our world, and so Wanda's twins.

Desperado Bones fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jan 29, 2021

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Dubar posted:

I completely disagree. They haven't done anything to indicate that someone else is in control of the situation, and I think its just Wanda and her grief driving the whole thing. The zombie vision shot seems to imply that vision is, in fact, still dead, so it seems probable that she's doing some sort of Weekend at Bernie's shenanigans. The implication at the end of the episode that they can not actually go anywhere else seems to suggest that it is the proximity to vision's body that is making it all possible, so if there is a "big bad" that has yet to be revealed, it could be someone that is trying to use Vision to reverse engineer a new Ultron (hence the references), but I'm pretty sure the whole point of this series is to make it absolutely clear just how powerful Wanda is, which to me means that she is not being manipulated by anyone.

Control is a very different thing to manipulation or influence. I definitely agree that Wanda is the one in control, but I do think it's plausible someone else is trying to direct her power in some manner within this reality. Wanda seeing Vision's dead head at the end seems like just that to me...a vision. Of Vision. Not her seeing his actual body as she puppets it around or something. A symbol of her grief, that now that she's been forced to confront reality for a second she's seeing Vision as he would be i.e. dead, not as she wants him to be. I doubt she has his actual body though. Why would she need his body when she can create babies out of thin air? And rewind or rewrite this new reality to her liking. It just seems like a needlessly grim detail that she'd have to puppet around his corpse. Which even if it were true, there'd be no reason she couldn't move his body outside Westview or move them to somewhere else.

The "no, we can't go anywhere else" line to me sounds more like Wanda saying that she's tied herself to Westview, which is presented immediately afterwards as an emotional tie, but could also be a logistical tie and that what she's set up can't be replicated anywhere else for some reason. Which could be that it took a lot of effort on her part, since it can't be easy to make a town essentially disappear like that, rewriting reality on a local level to become a television show as well as make herself selectively forget what's happening; fogging her own mind so she can enjoy the life she wants until it's threatened. Alternately, she could be working with someone else and letting an external force cloud her mind when convenient so she can do something. Or maybe someone else set Westview up for her and that's why they can't leave? A Faustian deal for a happy life. Hell, that could be how to bring Mephisto or a Mephisto style character in to the story and harken back to what the comics apparently did. A devil wanted her to spawn kids, she wanted a happy life with Vision. Hence all the creepy "for the kids" stuff in episode 2.

tsob fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jan 29, 2021

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ywz0neBdJzI

Another teaser went up, looks excellent though I hope they don’t focus too hard on the action. I loved the opening of episode four, and the unraveling mystery, I don’t need an Avengers-style 3rd act.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Firebert posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ywz0neBdJzI

Another teaser went up, looks excellent though I hope they don’t focus too hard on the action. I loved the opening of episode four, and the unraveling mystery, I don’t need an Avengers-style 3rd act.

I mean, that teaser certainly seems to be setting up Vision coming in to conflict with Wanda. What with him questioning what's happening, him trying to leave Westview before collapsing and then a final shot of him and Wanda taking fighting stance as they start to float while facing each other. Which, I can't say as this show is something I expected a lot of action out of it but I can't say the shot of Wanda's profile breaking the electromagnetic barrier as SWORD looks on wondering what's coming through isn't exciting either. Mostly though I'm excited for Vision's quest to become a real boy. Or at least to understand what's going on. Seems like it could be fun, even if it ends with him and Wanda facing off. That said, I do think the fact Wanda says during this "I'm not sure how this all started" does imply there's more than her powers at work. It could just be a symptom of her mind being clouded by sitcom happiness at work again though, as a misdirect.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Ending on Hendrix Voodoo Child, hell yeah.

Really, really hope there isn't a bad guy controlling or influencing Wanda, as it both feels unnecessary and would undermine this rather beautiful setup they have for a grieving lost loved one.

Heck, I hope at this point Vision stays dead at the end of this. A story about moving on that ends with the dead person just being back and everything's cool is pretty unsatisfying.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I think it would be equally valid to have Vision back alive by the end, but the damage to his and Wanda’s relationship being too severe for them to continue as a couple. That’s somehow even more heartbreaking.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Codependent Poster posted:

I kind of like that explanation because it's a good payoff to everyone standing their ground that Thor should absolutely NOT be in charge of wielding the Gauntlet no matter how strong and desperate for redemption/importance he was.

The World Inferno posted:

Really, really hope there isn't a bad guy controlling or influencing Wanda, as it both feels unnecessary and would undermine this rather beautiful setup they have for a grieving lost loved one.

Even in House of M, the big "Wanda controls reality and makes herself happy" storyline, it wasn't ALL her. Pietro came up with the idea and talked her into it. That didn't mean Wanda was guiltless and wasn't being dangerously consumed by her issues.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Teek posted:

Well, yes and no, the episodes SWORD were viewing were edited for content. They were specifically unable to see some things around intrusions. From one scene where someone was watching the Westview show, it also looked like a scene in the episode we *didn’t* see. I think Wanda was outside talking to someone on the street? Someone may need to verify. Which means the SWORD agents were seeing a weird long form live stream of a 50s episode, then the 60s, etc...While we got a further edited down sitcom length version along with stuff the agents specifically didn’t see.

We see what they’re seeing in this episode though and I’m talking about just reading her confused facial expression while they’re attempting to interfere and noticing the obviously jarring edit it creates in their POV as significant, rather than going “eeeh it was nothing”. Or reacting appropriately to the obvious menace when Wanda is confronting Monica

massive spider fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jan 29, 2021

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

massive spider posted:

We see what they’re seeing in this episode though and I’m talking about just reading her confused facial expression while they’re attempting to interfere and noticing the obviously jarring edit it creates in their POV as significant, rather than going “eeeh it was nothing”. Or reacting appropriately to the obvious menace when Wanda is confronting Monica

The first time they had no indication it would (or rather was working) it seemed to me that the edit clipped ANY bit of that out.

Wanda's face after blasting Monica out of town was confused, so is that Some Influence? or just her trying to reassert the happy time? Was it the influence being broken because it made he use her powers for something she didn't want to do?

I think they did a good job of ramping up the instability of their bubble across the 3 episodes, excited where episode 5 takes us

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

massive spider posted:

Well, at that point they didn't quite understand what they were seeing in terms of the edit. They saw Wanda looking a bit disturbed, but Wanda was also dealing with Dottie, the Suburb Queen, so being disturbed was reasonable. The cut to the bit about blood and white linen was odd, but it was also presumably something already in the episode. It wasn't until the end of the third episode that Darcy and Woo got that somebody was editing/censoring the TV show..

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Kind of don't like being reminded of the snap and blip business, ever since Endgame and especially Far From Home it bothered me that everyone just skipped five years. loving people will have remarried! The scene was good though, it's good to depict everyone coming back as being traumatic as well. It's just really narratively messy.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
This episode was fantastic. I'm really curious how this show is going to end. Dream Scenario we get a Jackman Wolverine temporarily pulled into the MCU for DS2 hook at the end. It's unlikely to happen but it'd be cool if it did.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

BizarroAzrael posted:

Kind of don't like being reminded of the snap and blip business, ever since Endgame and especially Far From Home it bothered me that everyone just skipped five years. loving people will have remarried! The scene was good though, it's good to depict everyone coming back as being traumatic as well. It's just really narratively messy.

They did touch upon that on Far From Home, With Aunt May talking about how people had moved into her apartment, and Peter's teacher telling him that his wife faked her "blip" to run off with another guy.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

I am bummed that the sitcom aspect fell to the wayside in favor of the usual, bland MCU approach to storytelling but maybe future episodes will go back to comedy-horror.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Have animals/bugs only shown up in Westview around intruders? There was the stork around Monica in the first episode and the bees around the beekeeper/SWORD agent in episode 2. Am I missing any? Are animals/bugs some kind of warning system about outsiders? edit: I guess there is also the Rabbit in the second episode.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

BurritoJustice posted:

The short episodes are starting to get really frustrating. Waiting a week for a 22-27m episode with a sliver of plot development is dragging on

This is what makes it good. The anticipation of seeing an awesome show and then having to look forward to it for another week makes you enjoy it even harder. If you could just binge though them in one sitting it would mean less.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

80s James Hetfield posted:

This is what makes it good. The anticipation of seeing an awesome show and then having to look forward to it for another week makes you enjoy it even harder. If you could just binge though them in one sitting it would mean less.

I'm probably the minority that loses absolute interest in shows that have all the episodes out at once. There's tons of Netflix's shows I haven't finished watching. It took me a year to continue watching Witcher :lol:

I like waiting for something to watch at the end of the week.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Spacebump posted:

Have animals/bugs only shown up in Westview around intruders? There was the stork around Monica in the first episode and the bees around the beekeeper/SWORD agent in episode 2. Am I missing any? Are animals/bugs some kind of warning system about outsiders? edit: I guess there is also the Rabbit in the second episode.

Animals are notoriously difficult to control during a live performance, that's a good metaphor for chaotic/unplanned elements.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

QuoProQuid posted:

I am bummed that the sitcom aspect fell to the wayside in favor of the usual, bland MCU approach to storytelling but maybe future episodes will go back to comedy-horror.

They aren't done with the sitcom elements.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Spacebump posted:

Agnes' rabbit in episode 2! edit:Oops, missed your edit.

Although the theory could still take, depending on if Agnes is a red herring or not. Neither her or Dottie have id's so that might be a clue. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Shneak posted:

Who's the person in witness protection? Maybe Ralph?

I assumed it was Agnes, which imo would square with her being the only person without an ID on the wall (because they already know that's a fake ID) e: or Dotty I guess, didn't catch that she had an ID missing too