Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

bawfuls posted:

Are the Cubs deep enough now to platoon him properly or will they just run him out there every day?

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
oh gently caress I bet Willson and Champ met at a former all-star game too!! Holy poo poo I'm so excited

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Poque posted:

YES I LOVE JOC

Hope he's not shell-shocked from the Game 6 firework!

Joc/Happ/Heyward and basically nobody else

I can't come up with a name of another (primary position) outfielder on the team.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Well I’m glad Joc went to the Cubs and not the Giants as was rumored recently

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

bawfuls posted:

Are the Cubs deep enough these days to platoon him properly or will they just run him out there every day?

Adam Duvall would be a great platoon with him, low key was hoping the Braves would go that route.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Phillies picked up Matt Moore for 1 yr /3 mil

Does he have anything left in the tank?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

it sure doesn't look like it

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

tadashi posted:

I can't come up with a name of another (primary position) outfielder on the team.

I guess Bryant if they play Bote at third occasionally. But Joc should still get 130+ games

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

ScottyJSno posted:

Tanaka back to Japan.

https://twitter.com/Rakuten__Eagles/status/1354708572576370691?s=19

I saw him pitch in Sendai in 2010. The only NPB game I ever went to. My wife threw my Rakuten hat away when we moved to America. :argh:

Edit:
Lol 2 years $8.6M per year. MLB financial are a joke. The dude is 32. Is the Kluber deal really better than that? IMO no.

Sure, he is better than Kluber. He was almost assuredly offered contracts from MLB teams that were way higher than 8.6 mil. He probably wanted to go home.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Julio Cruz posted:

it sure doesn't look like it

Those are the stats of a guy who batters can see and hammer

I guess they say "square up" now

euphronius fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jan 29, 2021

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Dang the Cubs actually made a cool move, this is blowing my mind.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

bawfuls posted:

Are the Cubs deep enough these days to platoon him properly or will they just run him out there every day?

Passan says one of the reasons joc chose the cubs is they said they'd give him a chance every day, so I guess we'll see if he hs figured out how to hit lefties at the age of 29.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

R.D. Mangles posted:

Oh no i like this move.

How dare you. Don't you know what thread this is?

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

bawfuls posted:

Well I’m glad Joc went to the Cubs and not the Giants as was rumored recently

The Giants have like 5 outfielders they want to play in 2021. The only way they sign an OF now is on a multi-year deal, to be here when the window opens in 2022 (hopefully). Although I wouldn't have minded signing Joc for like 3 years. He mashes. Kinda surprised he didn't get a longer deal tbh.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Popete posted:

Dang the Cubs actually made a cool move, this is blowing my mind.

Yeah but it makes me retroactively not understand what they were doing before. If they’re not just trying to save money, what are they trying to accomplish here?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

cebrail posted:

Yeah but it makes me retroactively not understand what they were doing before. If they’re not just trying to save money, what are they trying to accomplish here?

They're still overall dumping a lot of salary. I guess they figured they had to sign someone to play outfield since they figured Toms original idea to just stick a scarecrow in left field might piss off fans a bit too much.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

R.D. Mangles posted:

Passan says one of the reasons joc chose the cubs is they said they'd give him a chance every day, so I guess we'll see if he hs figured out how to hit lefties at the age of 29.
He’s had a total of 385 PA vs LHP in the majors his whole career, and 172 over the past 4 seasons. Good for him getting a chance, but lol this is a very Ricketts move

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/thekapman/status/1355182248425893892

Don't worry everybody Tom got in on some of this sweet Gamestop and AMC money so he can finally throw Hoyer some crumbs.

Also god help me I actually like the Joc move. Doesn't really help the "can't hit lefties" problem but he does strike out way less than Kyle and can actually competently field a corner OF position.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Phillies picked up Matt Moore for 1 yr /3 mil

Does he have anything left in the tank?

The Phillies just want a starter who has a pulse. They're really not very good at rescuing guys.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Moore pitched well in Japan in a small sample, and also apparently made some tweaks to his delivery that has him back to sitting 95, so who knows he could turn out to be a huge bargain.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Joc is great fun to cheer for and he will mash majestic taters vs right handed pitching. His defense isn’t what it was when he was younger but he’s still a plus defender in a corner.

He’s also obsessed with sneakers, at least half his Instagram content is opening new sneaker boxes

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Cackling at the posssibility of the shark coming back as the Harbinger of lovely Cubs Teams.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
They're also considering bringing back Jake because apparently "hey remember this guy?" moves are the new market inefficiency.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Sydin posted:

Don't worry everybody Tom got in on some of this sweet Gamestop and AMC money so he can finally throw Hoyer some crumbs.

Also god help me I actually like the Joc move. Doesn't really help the "can't hit lefties" problem but he does strike out way less than Kyle and can actually competently field a corner OF position.

*views division as winnable"

*Gets rid of 80% of 2020 starting rotation*

wE cAn wIn tHe dIvIsIoN

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The only part of that rotation that matters is losing Darvish, which absolutely loving blows and makes us way worse. Otherwise though Lester was cooked, Chatwood sucked, and Quintana sucked. While it does kinda blow Lester won't retire a Cub, I'm not crying any tears over losing performances from those guys.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Lester was an amazing Cub, but if he is going to sentimentally retire somewhere it should be Boston.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Interesting article about a 1996 attempt to develop essentially "MLB Jam" for arcades; in addition to problems with the durability of the Golden Tee-style trackballs it would have used, the fatal flaw was that the developers hadn't figured out a good way to keep players steadily pumping quarters into the machine since innings could go on indefinitely.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Sydin posted:

lmao at upping the payroll after the dogshit moves they made.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I work with a few of the old Midway guys who built the electronics for those arcade cabinets. I never knew about a MLB Jam, I'll have to ask them about it next time I'm in the office which may not be for awhile yet.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Watch out MLB, Pirates about to start making moves

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1355199533291073542

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Tanner Roark is available baby

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

lmao at upping the payroll after the dogshit moves they made.
Look they don't have to fund any Trump Super PACs this year so they happened to find the change in their couches!

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

tadashi posted:

Phillip Ervin was a waiver claim a few months back, at the time there was talk he could spell Schwarber against tough lefties if the Cubs were bringing him back, but they traded his 7 million for Joc to play the role of beefy lad.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

https://twitter.com/mlbtraderumors/status/1355225904063143940?s=21

He put on a loving clinic during that 2015 run and was solid on the Nats. Did he ever recant his stance on gay marriage or is he still a bigot?

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Popete posted:

I work with a few of the old Midway guys who built the electronics for those arcade cabinets. I never knew about a MLB Jam, I'll have to ask them about it next time I'm in the office which may not be for awhile yet.

I worked at Midway, but I didn't start until 2006, well after the arcade era. There was MLB Slugfest, which was the (console) spiritual MLB version of NBA Jam.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Dinosaurs! posted:

https://twitter.com/mlbtraderumors/status/1355225904063143940?s=21

He put on a loving clinic during that 2015 run and was solid on the Nats. Did he ever recant his stance on gay marriage or is he still a bigot?

It came up during his brief stint with the Cubs and he gave what amounted to an "I'm sorry if you were offended."

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
He sucks forever

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Poque posted:

He sucks forever

I wish anyone else had said "Do you go to Fangraphs at all?" because I would absolutely buy that t-shirt

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Before signing Pederson, MLB.com had Ian Happ as the starter in center and left for the Cubs lol.
This is a team who set a record for most starters in the ASG just a few seasons ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Poque posted:

Lester was an amazing Cub, but if he is going to sentimentally retire somewhere it should be Boston.
I dunno, he was on the ‘07 and ‘13 Sox teams but not the ‘04 one that really has historical significance. Meanwhile as a Cub he was absolutely key to their 2016 run. Not only putting up 5.6 bWAR in the regular season (3rd best of his career) but he had an excellent October, winning NLCS MVP, posting a 2.02 ERA across 5 starts, and racking up 19.3% cWPA.

He was also very good in both 2007 and 2013 for Boston but he didn’t win a series MVP and those championships certainly don’t mean as much to Boston as 2004.