Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Thanks to twisto for recommending I sign up as an NHS responder. I've just got home from delivering some oximeters to people on behalf of the local hospice. Didn't expect to get a job to do so quickly Tbh!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

As part of the new EU regulation on export controls for vaccines the EU has invoked Article 16 of the NI protocol to treat all vaccine shipments from the EU to NI as third country exports.

Didn't take long for someone to trigger that

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

kustomkarkommando posted:

As part of the new EU regulation on export controls for vaccines the EU has invoked Article 16 of the NI protocol to treat all vaccine shipments from the EU to NI as third country exports.

Didn't take long for someone to trigger that

Arlene won't like that

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Ive been dealing with the fallout of Northern ireland all loving week and its just given me a loving headache.

Contracts that were won years ago to supply a companies sites all over the UK and now they are refusing to pay any duties for goods delivered to N Ireland. 'The contract says no delivery charges' which yeah, it does. So if you class import duties as delivery charges we are indeed liable for it. If you don't, then the customer is liable.

All week with this poo poo.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

The Perfect Element posted:

Thanks to twisto for recommending I sign up as an NHS responder. I've just got home from delivering some oximeters to people on behalf of the local hospice. Didn't expect to get a job to do so quickly Tbh!

I don't think I've ever had to wait more than five minutes for a job and it makes me feel guilty that I can only give an afternoon a week to it (and had to abandon it this week because my trainers are leaking).

Going to see if I can get more time next week just to assuage my guilt over buying replacement trainers of Amazon.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Failed Imagineer posted:

Arlene won't like that

Funny you should say that, she's literally just popped up on Channel 4 news to say the vaccine "was designed to save lives in the UK," which is quite the claim

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Niric posted:

Funny you should say that, she's literally just popped up on Channel 4 news to say the vaccine "was designed to save lives in the UK," which is quite the claim

She probably meant that the other way around, she's a good egg who deserves the benefit of the doubt.

🌝

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I don't think I've ever had to wait more than five minutes for a job and it makes me feel guilty that I can only give an afternoon a week to it (and had to abandon it this week because my trainers are leaking).

Going to see if I can get more time next week just to assuage my guilt over buying replacement trainers of Amazon.

It's certainly not as busy as that round here, but I do live in a suburban village.

I assuage my amazon guilt by semi regularly donating to the 'Make Amazon Pay' campaign. Mainly laziness, but also because a personal boycott would achieve precisely gently caress all.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Can honestly say I did not expect the EU to be the one that hosed up the Brexit agreement.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
big orleen gonna knock ur melt in m8 :manning:

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Niric posted:

*designed to save protestant lives in the UK.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

sinky posted:

*designed to save protestant lives in the UK.

Arlene possibly believes all heathens to be the undead

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Re engineering the puckle gun to shoot vaccines at protestants and bullets at turks.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Just watched The Big Short again.
Great film.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Haha I'm watching that right now

It took ten minutes to download, there's a lot of seeders. This is like Contagion when the pandemic stated

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Just watched The Big Short again.
Great film.

Hah! I rewatched it last night, probably for similar reasons

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Has anything come from that Government minister who was on GMB this morning. I only caught it briefly (i think she was the prisons minister or something), but she was getting the usual grilling until she mentioned she knew what everyone was feeling because her dad died recently and then then GMB did like a 180 and were all sympathetic to her and stuff.

However.

When they asked if he died of covid, she kinda laughed a bit nervously and didn't answer the question right away and during all of the commotion of GMB trying desperately to not come across as monsters, i caught her then correct them briefly that he died with covid not of it before promptly moving on for a few minutes before the interview ended.

I couldn't quite tell if GMB missed it or if they actually did catch it and layed the sympathy on extra thick in an attempt to catch her out at a later date.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Kin posted:

Has anything come from that Government minister who was on GMB this morning. I only caught it briefly (i think she was the prisons minister or something), but she was getting the usual grilling until she mentioned she knew what everyone was feeling because her dad died recently and then then GMB did like a 180 and were all sympathetic to her and stuff.

However.

When they asked if he died of covid, she kinda laughed a bit nervously and didn't answer the question right away and during all of the commotion of GMB trying desperately to not come across as monsters, i caught her then correct them briefly that he died with covid not of it before promptly moving on for a few minutes before the interview ended.

I couldn't quite tell if GMB missed it or if they actually did catch it and layed the sympathy on extra thick in an attempt to catch her out at a later date.

Weird post.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
So what's the actual deal with this Article 16 thing then? Is it as nakedly stupid as it appears (that the EU think that people are going to be smuggling vaccines across the border) or is it some wider political point/punishment they're trying to give out?

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I think EU governments are getting in a bit of a flap about the slow pace of their vaccine rollouts and worrying about who'll get the blame for that (them) and they're doing things that aren't necessarily sensible so that they're seen to be doing something.

It's almost... British.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
From the sounds of it the Commission did it without asking the Irish government, who flipped their lid and it's about to be walked back.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
In fact, here's a new FT article that talks about what's going on in Europe right now:

https://www.ft.com/content/fe851440-abcb-43e0-a7c9-a86a05d275db

The Financial Times posted:

Shortage of coronavirus shots heaps pressure on European leaders

Edleff Joachim should have been among the first to receive a jab when Germany launched its mass Covid-19 vaccination programme on December 27. A month on, the 84-year-old is still waiting.

“It’s just chaos,” said Mr Joachim, who lives in the town of Görlitz on the Polish border. “No one seems to know what's going on.”

His frustration bears testament to a German vaccination drive in disarray — a mess now replicated across much of the EU due to a shortage of doses. Over-80s were supposed to be inoculated first, along with care home residents, but tens of thousands of eligible Germans have yet to get the shot.

Residents of Görlitz were told a few weeks ago that they could book a slot for a vaccination online or by phone. However, when he called the telephone hotline, Mr Joachim was told no appointments were being given because there was simply not enough vaccine available.

Europe’s supply problems began to bite in earnest this week, heaping pressure on political leaders and EU officials who oversaw procurement. The shortages have fuelled an extraordinary row between the European Commission and AstraZeneca, with Brussels accusing the pharmaceuticals group of reneging on a deal to provide 100m doses of a vaccine developed with Oxford university.

Health authorities in several countries cancelled appointments, delayed first jabs or scaled back plans to ramp up vaccination rates as the UK was able to do after the first few weeks of its inoculation programme.

“The lack of available vaccines is the number one political issue in Europe at the moment,” said Guntram Wolff, director of the Bruegel think-tank in Brussels. “It affects every family. People wonder why the vaccines are not coming. The pressure is enormous.”

After being criticised for a sluggish start to their vaccination drives, health authorities across the EU quickly ramped up their capacity to administer jabs — only to run into a shortage of doses.

For example, the region of Baden-Württemberg in south-west Germany has set up 10 huge vaccination centres and 49 smaller ones, together able to inoculate 54,200 people a day. But due to the lack of vaccine, the state can offer just 585 appointments a week — a figure that includes jabs given by mobile teams to residents of local care homes. Baden-Württemberg’s ministry of social affairs said the state got 42 per cent less vaccine this week than planned and will receive 15 per cent less next week.

Three French regions covering a third of the national population ordered hospitals to delay new first-dose injections by two to four weeks in order to guarantee supply of doses for the second booster jabs.

Madrid’s regional government has also stopped almost all new first injections to prioritise second doses amid uncertainty about deliveries. A regional health official described how a consignment of the BioNTech/Pfizer vaccine to the Spanish capital 10 days ago had been half what it had been expected — 25 trays instead of 50, each containing 975 doses.

“As soon as we became aware of the EU-level agreements to buy vaccines, we were worried about their complexity, given that some of the production facilities were outside the EU and the enormous international competition for the vaccines,” she said.

Denmark, one of the best performers in the EU, will administer fewer doses of vaccine in the first half of February than it has in the second half of January. It has stopped giving first doses to healthcare workers and cannot expand its programme to new categories.

“There’s quite a lot of frustration because the logistics side [of the vaccine rollout] has been working quite well,” said Camilla Noelle Rathcke, head of the Danish Medical Association. “But that’s the way it is. Nobody can do anything about it right now.”

Jens Spahn, German health minister, said it would be “at least another 10 tough weeks” before vaccine shortages ease.

Europe’s vaccination campaign has faltered against a backdrop of growing frustration — and, in The Netherlands, several nights of rioting and street violence — over prolonged lockdown measures. It has undermined the credibility of the commission, which took on the task of procuring vaccines for the whole bloc but was slower than the UK or US to sign contracts and to approve vaccines for use.

German politicians, and parts of the German media, have been particularly unforgiving.

“It's my impression that they [the commission] ordered too late, and only bet on a few companies, they agreed on a price in a typically bureaucratic EU procedure and completely underestimated the fundamental importance of the situation,” Markus Söder, the Bavarian premier and possible future chancellor, told ZDF television on Friday.

“We have a situation . . . where grandchildren in Israel are already vaccinated but the grandparents here are still waiting. That’s just completely wrong.”

Emmanuel Macron, French president, defended the EU’s vaccination strategy, saying it made sense to ensure the whole continent was protected together because of the connections between countries.

“Assume that France, Italy and Germany have a very ambitious and rapid vaccination plan — it would be doomed to failure if their neighbours did not have the same policy, because our economies are integrated,” he said.

The same applied to the UK, which is vaccinating its population much more rapidly than the EU. “What are they going to do, stop European lorries coming in? . . . There’s a total dependence on the continent. And equally, we need the British to succeed because we’re connected and we need to make progress on matters such as defence and immigration.”

Mr Wolff at the Bruegel think-tank said that while Brussels had serious questions to answer, member states also shared responsibility as they were involved in decision-making at many levels.

“Every country wants the vaccine and no country is more fit than others to receive it,” said Dr Rathcke of the Danish Medical Association. “The blame game can go on, but it can’t bring solutions.”

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

goddamnedtwisto posted:

So what's the actual deal with this Article 16 thing then? Is it as nakedly stupid as it appears (that the EU think that people are going to be smuggling vaccines across the border) or is it some wider political point/punishment they're trying to give out?

The EU suspects that pharma companies will, in their eternal quest for money, renege on their contracts with the EU (but pocket the money they got) and export to other countries where they can sell it for higher profit. That is the suspicion with Astra Zeneca, which has already broken a number of terms in the contract.

The EU doesn't suspect private persons are going to smuggle vaccine over the border, it suspects that pharma companies will. Again, Astra Zeneca has already demonstrated they are shady as hell, so there is no trust whatsoever.

AZ also went on to publicly lie about the terms of the contract, so…yeah, no trust.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

quote:

What are they going to do, stop European lorries coming in?

It's not like there isn't precedent when Britain couldn't get its poo poo together a month ago.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

So what you're saying is I should plant turnips now because its all we're going to have to eat after we're forced to lock all the borders during lockdown 9 Christmas 2021 to avoid the European turbocorona virus because we got Chris Grayling to try to save the hedgehogs and he fed them all our supply of vacceine that we outbid the EU for.

Mesopotamia
Apr 12, 2010
Can only speak from Dutch POV, but what's happening is the result of three things:

1) EU genuinely feels it has been screwed over by AZ with this shortfall thing (and to be fair to them, the contract publishing and "oh we will now deliver more than 31 million" all of a sudden shenanigans suggests they had a point here). They're feeling burned and can see issues on the horizon, which is getting them heat from nation states.
2) Many nation states' rollouts have been far worse than UK. Like, credit is due to a certain extent that the UK has handled the vaccine side of things if not "well", much better than most other nations. Citizens are blaming all levels of government.
3) EU was responsible for procurement and was trying to ensure smaller nations got a fair share. Positive view is out of fairness, cynical view is out of political benefit this delivers (though I lean to the former because I don't think the EU cares about selling itself to smaller countries who love it anyway). This actually hasn't had a huge impact in the end (actions last year with signing contract had more influence), but it is being blamed.
4) The procurement thing just adds a huge scale thing that can't be avoided. UK is 60 mill people from a factory. EU is 450 mill and trying to cover everyone.

As a result the commission is panicking about a growing massive wave of discontentment directed their way. Cue dumb moves like this Ireland one that noone asked for.

Edit: Also, final bit of colour, the Article 16 is barely making a ripple over here. Make of that what you will (EU is doing an inside job on all the papers, UK is focusing on big bad EU)

Mesopotamia fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jan 30, 2021

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Mebh posted:

So what you're saying is I should plant turnips now because its all we're going to have to eat after we're forced to lock all the borders during lockdown 9 Christmas 2021 to avoid the European turbocorona
I'd plant peas late Feb to fix nitrogen, harvest them June/July, then potatoes along with them in May, and neeps after the July pea harvest.

Or grow weed er'ry day.

bustin keaton posted:

1) EU genuinely feels it has been screwed over by AZ with this shortfall thing (and to be fair to them, the contract publishing and "oh we will now deliver more than 31 million" all of a sudden shenanigans suggests they had a point here). They're feeling burned and can see issues on the horizon, which is getting them heat from nation states.
Don't forget that they released the documentation with the only interesting bits redacted.

bustin keaton posted:

UK is 60 mill people from a factory.
This is a popular conspiracy theory, but unfounded. Most people just come out the normal way. Don't ask where Michael Gove came from, we don't know.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

This is a popular conspiracy theory, but unfounded. Most people just come out the normal way. Don't ask where Michael Gove came from, we don't know.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
is that one of those pictures they put on cigrit packs these days?

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Wankers?

(I was gonna timestamp it but the whole thing's too drat good, go on, watch it, all 5 minutes)

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Not so weird. Just trying to find out if her dad did die of covid or if she tried to imply it was covid related to avoid scrutiny.

Lying about a dead dad to get out of trouble at work is a pretty low loving thing to do.

Edit: here's a link to it

https://metro.co.uk/video/minister-close-tears-gmb-revealing-father-died-week-covid-2343872/

There's other versions out there that crop it before she corrected the presenters, but it just seemed like an odd distinction to try and make clear.

Like what's the difference between dying of covid vs dying with covid?

Kin fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jan 30, 2021

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Borrovan posted:

Wankers?

(I was gonna timestamp it but the whole thing's too drat good, go on, watch it, all 5 minutes)

That was.... bizarre...

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Seems like the invoking of Article 16 was a whoopsie by whoever drafted the regulation on export controls apparently not fully checking on the full political ramifications and some hasty phone calls from Ireland has resulted in a reverse course on extending the restrictions to include NI

https://twitter.com/ShonaMurray_/status/1355265895078227974

https://twitter.com/MichealMartinTD/status/1355288869726515200

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Kin posted:

"died with covid" is the kind of thing the virus sceptics say, because if you claim that covid is just one of many contributing factors in deaths rather than the actual cause you can pretend that the "real" death toll is much lower than those media sheeple keep telling everyone

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

^^^ No. Died with covid is what the actual statistics around covid deaths that we quote in these threads say.

Kin posted:

Not so weird. Just trying to find out if her dad did die of covid or if she tried to imply it was covid related to avoid scrutiny.

Lying about a dead dad to get out of trouble at work is a pretty low loving thing to do.

Edit: here's a link to it

https://metro.co.uk/video/minister-close-tears-gmb-revealing-father-died-week-covid-2343872/

There's other versions out there that crop it before she corrected the presenters, but it just seemed like an odd distinction to try and make clear.

Like statistically, according to the numbers we're looking at noone has died of covid. They've all died within a certain number of days of a positive covid test, so with covid.

But I don't even really care about that, you're "just trying to find out if her dad did die of covid or if she tried to imply it was covid related to avoid scrutiny." And I find that gross. Find something else if you must. Her dad died. With Covid.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Julio Cruz posted:

"died with covid" is the kind of thing the virus sceptics say, because if you claim that covid is just one of many contributing factors in deaths rather than the actual cause you can pretend that the "real" death toll is much lower than those media sheeple keep telling everyone

So she was trying to simultaneously gain sympathy for her dad dying from covid and downplay the covid deaths by saying it wasn't because of covid?

NotJustANumber99 posted:

^^^ No. Died with covid is what the actual statistics around covid deaths that we quote in these threads say.

Like statistically, according to the numbers we're looking at noone has died of covid. They've all died within a certain number of days of a positive covid test, so with covid.

But I don't even really care about that, you're "just trying to find out if her dad did die of covid or if she tried to imply it was covid related to avoid scrutiny." And I find that gross. Find something else if you must. Her dad died. With Covid.

I find someone potentially manipulating the death of a close family member for political gain pretty gross. I guess we just have different standards for what's acceptable.

Kin fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Jan 30, 2021

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Kin posted:

I find someone potentially manipulating the death of a close family member for political gain pretty gross. I guess we just have different standards for what's acceptable.

Kin posted:

potentially manipulating

Its her dad. Have a word with yourself.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

NotJustANumber99 posted:

It's a Tory, have a word with your if you're not assuming the worst about them.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

NotJustANumber99 posted:

David Cameron kept bringing up his dead disabled son every time someone brought up NHS cuts or cuts to disability services.

They don't give a gently caress. Although in this case I'd say its a kneejerk reaction by the tory remembering they weren't supposed to say people died of Covid, just with Covid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
All this just reminded me of the time Theresa May Was so scared of debating Corbyn that she sent Amber Rudd to the election debate in her place just after Rudd's father had died.