Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Im playing the medium and congrats on making a game that has uglier pre-rendered cutscenes than in game. This plays like a game that should have been a Silent Hill title but instead is a clunky point and click adventure.

Game is getting binned because it has a slow crawl through a narrow space. Not acceptable.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Jan 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Barudak posted:

Im playing the medium and congrats on making a game that has uglier pre-rendered cutscenes than in game. This plays like a game that should have been a Silent Hill title but instead is a clunky point and click adventure.

Game is getting binned because it has a slow crawl through a narrow space. Not acceptable.

clunky point and click adventure is a genre a lot of people like, so nothing bad for that. better for them.

for me, I just don't find anything interesting in the game.

I am looking forward for The Returnal, where we can shot the ghost instead of patting them in the back

Nuts and Gum posted:

should I get the new switch MH game? I've been mostly pc/vr lately and going back to like 720p is just jarring and unpleasant. But MH:W was pretty god damned charming and I played it on xb1 a lot. :shrug:

the graphics look amazing ... for a switch.
seems based on the MHW template (I think they resuse the code and animations)

you are very lost if you are asking this on the xbox thread

Some people report the fps tanking in some areas, and thats a indication the artist made highpoly models and that area have too many of these models. Is not a AAA release, so probably did not had the times and resources to have people walking around the map finding these places and optimizing these places.

If the FPS tank, is because is not a polished AAA release, and not because the screen is divided, something that can double the work on CPU things, but is not rendering more pixels, is rendering exactly the same numbers of pixels, so should not double the work needed by the GPU by too much.

Tei fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Jan 29, 2021

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

SUNKOS posted:

If the Windows 10 store is so horrific why don't you just install the game on Xbox?

The Medium requires a Series console, and can't install or run on an Xbox One or Xbox One X. It is currently the only game on Xbox where this is the case (literally every other title has a proper Xbox One version, and we don't even know what the next Series-only game will be).

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

The Grey posted:

Every time I try to read the PlayStation threads it's just pages of people talking about souls games.

I appreciate the discussion here much more.

Huh usually it's just pages of ppl talking about yakuza games

Wheeee posted:

They don't talk enough about Bugsnax, which is genuinely a better written and more emotionally powerful experience than any of those Spiderman or Uncharted trash games.

Luckily for Xboners with a PC Bugsnax is also on PC and Tim Sweeney already bought you a copy so you can happily download it free without worrying about the poor little devs

I agree!! There should be more talkin bout bugsnax

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

univbee posted:

It is currently the only game on Xbox where this is the case (literally every other title has a proper Xbox One version, and we don't even know what the next Series-only game will be).

Bright Memory is also Series X|S exclusive.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
"clunky point and click game" reminds me of playing Myst 3: Exile on my PS2 because I bought it for PC and it would crash after the splash screen for no reason on my shitass HP Pavilion. good times. maybe I should give The Medium a go

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

barnold posted:

"clunky point and click game" reminds me of playing Myst 3: Exile on my PS2 because I bought it for PC and it would crash after the splash screen for no reason on my shitass HP Pavilion. good times. maybe I should give The Medium a go

The Medium will probably also crash after the splash screen for no reason on your shitass HP Pavilion.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Zerot posted:

After buying Bright Memory the day the Series X launched I can understand why people forget about Bright Memory.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

univbee posted:

The Medium requires a Series console, and can't install or run on an Xbox One or Xbox One X. It is currently the only game on Xbox where this is the case (literally every other title has a proper Xbox One version, and we don't even know what the next Series-only game will be).

I had completely forgotten this was a next-gen (current-gen sorry) exclusive until today. I guess the next one is going to be either Grotesque Peniswall Simulator or Bright Memory Infinite.

Barudak posted:

Why does this need pre-rendered cutscenes, period? Or hidden load time sequences?

DirtyCheeseburgers
Apr 15, 2003

College Slice

SUNKOS posted:

I really miss the custom soundtracks feature a lot. It was really underrated being able to put your music on the console and have it replace in-game music and I wish that hadn't gone away.

I think this still exists in some form - on my One X at least, I have been using the Spotify app while playing Skyrim.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

DirtyCheeseburgers posted:

I think this still exists in some form - on my One X at least, I have been using the Spotify app while playing Skyrim.

yeah, both consoles from PS4/Xbone on have had that kind of Spotify integration, but that's only useful if you want/have a Spotify account and they have the music you want to listen to.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
I noticed that none of the older Forzas are available for purchase digitally besides Motorsport 7 and Horizon 4. What’s the deal with that, trying to consolidate the playerbase or something? Meanwhile EA has like five Maddens up for free on Play/GP.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Rocket league finally got it's claws into me, which is ironic considering I owned it on three platforms before it went free to play. Is there a goon discord, actually never mind I'm trash, I'll ask again this time next year.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Kevyn posted:

I noticed that none of the older Forzas are available for purchase digitally besides Motorsport 7 and Horizon 4. What’s the deal with that, trying to consolidate the playerbase or something? Meanwhile EA has like five Maddens up for free on Play/GP.

They only license the cars for limited time periods. They aren't allowed the continue selling the games after those run out.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Kevyn posted:

No, the music & car licenses expired. Forza Horizon 1 and 2 were given away for free before they expired, Forza Horizon 3 fell out of the store without such a fanfare.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

ErrEff posted:

Why does this need pre-rendered cutscenes, period? Or hidden load time sequences?
Using the fancy pants ultra fast loading stuff of the new consoles requires learning and implementing new things, new paradigms - if your existing engine can be updated to work on the new consoles with just a new renderer and some basic API swapping, and the SSD makes it load faster without any extra work... Then getting that instant load to work to stop needing hidden loads is a cost that you have to weigh up, it doesn't come for free.

It's UE4 but I've only made current gen games in Unity and bespoke engines so far so I can't say for sure what the state of the engine is...

Twerk from Home posted:

No, the music & car licenses expired. Forza Horizon 1 and 2 were given away for free before they expired, Forza Horizon 3 fell out of the store without such a fanfare.
It wasn't given away for free but they made it exceptionally cheap before it was pulled.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
No Man's Sky runs like rear end on XSX. The pop-in is unbelievable and sometimes textures don't load when they're directly in my face. I just had this 100% crash I wasted 15 minutes getting around (froze every time I tried to land anywhere near a mission objective). Then, it would always crash on load a 2nd time after I killed the game lol. I had to blast off to a different system and come back. I think the game couldn't handle loading in all the buildings/plants/minerals + the weather system hitting it at the time.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Kevyn posted:

Clutching my copy of Forza Motorsport 4 to my chest

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

bushisms.txt posted:

Rocket league finally got it's claws into me, which is ironic considering I owned it on three platforms before it went free to play. Is there a goon discord, actually never mind I'm trash, I'll ask again this time next year.

you might want to go check the Rocket League thread. there's probably one posted there if it exists

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

bushisms.txt posted:

It's like rain, on your wedding day.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
The Medium thoughts: If you've been itching for something that (for better or for worse) captures the feel of late 90s/early 00s horror games, this seems like it's your jam. If you told me this was a Silent Hill sequel they completed in 2002 only to shelve it, bring it back in 2020, spruce up the graphics a bit and throw in some ray tracing, I'd believe it. I'm enjoying it, but if that particular sort of thing—warts and all—isn't your bag, you're gonna bounce off of it.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Toaster Beef posted:

The Medium thoughts: If you've been itching for something that (for better or for worse) captures the feel of late 90s/early 00s horror games, this seems like it's your jam. If you told me this was a Silent Hill sequel they completed in 2002 only to shelve it, bring it back in 2020, spruce up the graphics a bit and throw in some ray tracing, I'd believe it. I'm enjoying it.
Well this is the endorsement I needed

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

ultrachrist posted:

No Man's Sky runs like rear end on XSX. The pop-in is unbelievable and sometimes textures don't load when they're directly in my face. I just had this 100% crash I wasted 15 minutes getting around (froze every time I tried to land anywhere near a mission objective). Then, it would always crash on load a 2nd time after I killed the game lol. I had to blast off to a different system and come back. I think the game couldn't handle loading in all the buildings/plants/minerals + the weather system hitting it at the time.

That’s awful to hear, I was really hoping the new machines would be what that game needed to run well. It was soooo bad on PS4 Pro. The low FPS and FOV were genuinely nauseating.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Akuma posted:

Well this is the endorsement I needed

Same. Now if the god drat consoles were in stock.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

ErrEff posted:

I had completely forgotten this was a next-gen (current-gen sorry) exclusive until today. I guess the next one is going to be either Grotesque Peniswall Simulator or Bright Memory Infinite.

Can’t wait until Scorn comes out so I can make an Av from one of its assets, and nobody will be able to object or call it obscene because it came from an Xbox game

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Twerk from Home posted:

I'll never understand why they haven't ever taken stuff from old Horizon games to use in the Motorsport franchise. FM has had some great fictional tracks over the years and that opening race along the coast in Forza Horizon 2 would have been an awesome track addition to the FM series. They had some great point-to-point courses in the 360 games and it wouldn't be out of place at all. Would be a nice way to keep something and introduce it into the main series to add more variety from the increasing percentage of real-world tracks. Having Italy/Australia/Scotland tracks from the Horizon series in Motorsport would be really welcomed, I think. The coastal drive from H2, the jungle race from H3, maybe an Autumn countryside course from H4 or perhaps go for a city track from Edinburgh? Seems weird they haven't done it.

Speaking of, I really hope we get news of the new Forza Motorsport game soon. They're not calling it 8 in the reveal which is unusual, I hope it doesn't become too serious and all the fun fictional tracks disappear. It took way too long to get Maple Valley last gen.

Ok Comboomer posted:

Can’t wait until Scorn comes out so I can make an Av from one of its assets, and nobody will be able to object or call it obscene because it came from an Xbox game

You might be disappointed, every time they show something new it seems that they've scaled back how weird and gross the game is. It seems like it might be Agony all over again.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

morallyobjected posted:

yeah, both consoles from PS4/Xbone on have had that kind of Spotify integration, but that's only useful if you want/have a Spotify account and they have the music you want to listen to.
plus it feels way different having your music played over the game vs having your music played in the game. getting the groove station to work owned in FH3, you had your tunes blasting through loudspeaker sim in festival sites and part of the whole mix, sidechained by collisions and interrupted by narration. it's not the same just running a player in the background

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Zerot posted:

It's also about an hour long. Do Xbox owners of Bright Memory get Bright Memory Infinite at release, or is that only for PC buyers?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I’m playing this Breakout OG XBOX game from the Games with Gold thing. It’s amazing! It has FPS stuff that I still haven’t seen in games. Really really cool.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

SUNKOS posted:

Speaking of, I really hope we get news of the new Forza Motorsport game soon. They're not calling it 8 in the reveal which is unusual

Forza Motorsport Series XS

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

Quantum of Phallus posted:

That’s awful to hear, I was really hoping the new machines would be what that game needed to run well. It was soooo bad on PS4 Pro. The low FPS and FOV were genuinely nauseating.

The FPS is usually fine (other than the loading screen anyway). It’s the textures and pop in.

I’m actually having fun with it though. Feels like a version of this game made 10 years in the future is gonna own.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

TheScott2K posted:

I do kinda think it's weird that there isn't/wasn't some goofy Office365-gated, OneDrive-dependent version of Office on Xbox, especially considering Microsoft's unshakeable obsession with "the living room PC." The platform supports a keyboard and mouse - that and Edge would make the Series S a decent little $300 client for someone. My understanding is that Office gets to do whatever the gently caress they want so they were probably just like "lol no."

The thing to keep in mind is a living room PC itself is nothing but profit, as MS doesn't make the hardware. As consoles are usually sold at a bit of a loss, you wouldn't make money on people that didn't buy much software from you and could actually lose money.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

pthighs posted:

The thing to keep in mind is a living room PC itself is nothing but profit, as MS doesn't make the hardware. As consoles are usually sold at a bit of a loss, you wouldn't make money on people that didn't buy much software from you and could actually lose money.

At the risk of defending a hypothetical I admit is pretty odd, Microsoft writ large is more interested in selling subscriptions than they are in selling software. Been that way for a while now. MS and Sony also really don't take losses on console hardware at the scale they used to, and those they do tend to be a first-year-only type deal.

TheScott2K fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jan 30, 2021

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

that was true last gen, less true this gen especially for the series x

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Stux posted:

that was true last gen, less true this gen especially for the series x

That's true, they're eating more this time than last. My go-to example is still the total nonsense that was the beginning of the 360/PS3, where Microsoft lost a ton of money twice on every early 360 (selling the console, then replacing/fixing it) and Sony thought shoving a whole-rear end PS2 and every slot on earth onto the motherboard of the PS3 was worth somehow taking a loss on a $600 box.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

my mom only recently retired the fat PS3 I bought for her a million years ago to use as a BluRay and then streaming device, those things owned

gamepass and the better hardware are making waiting for ps5 availability to get a console box harder, especially as i'm beginning to think that actually those handful of exclusive games are appealing to me more because as a PC nerd i haven't had access to them and we all want what we don't have than because they actually look all that great; like god of war totally looks like a wait for steam sale game

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Wheeee posted:

my mom only recently retired the fat PS3 I bought for her a million years ago to use as a BluRay and then streaming device, those things owned

gamepass and the better hardware are making waiting for ps5 availability to get a console box harder, especially as i'm beginning to think that actually those handful of exclusive games are appealing to me more because as a PC nerd i haven't had access to them and we all want what we don't have than because they actually look all that great; like god of war totally looks like a wait for steam sale game

if you're patient enough, any game is a "wait for Steam sale" game. otoh it's cool and fun to play games when they come out and talk to people about them when they're new, God of War is by most people's accounts a very good game

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I’m playing this Breakout OG XBOX game from the Games with Gold thing. It’s amazing! It has FPS stuff that I still haven’t seen in games. Really really cool.

I told you all. Breakdown is insanely good.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

breakdown is the poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Unlike Xbox one games, you keep 360 gwg game even when you don't have gold. I wonder if og xbox is the same.