Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

docbeard posted:

I would unironically read a series featuring Marx and Engels solving Capitalism Crimes.

(Honestly that's not that far off what Stephen Brust and Emma Bull's Freedom and Necessity is, I guess.)

christie made the right move making one story take place on a train

i'm glad someone mentioned brust and bull, i stumbled onto them when i was 19 and it's still some of the more tolerable fantasy out there. his detective novels are fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Joementum posted:

I want more movies with Daniel Craig doing a bad regional accent for no reason.

check out the superior (politically and cinematically) Logan Lucky, a v fun soderbergh redux of ocean’s 11 set in west virginia

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/isaiah_bb/status/1355179491706892295?s=19

Eustace
Feb 26, 2009
why does she get banned so much?

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth
im not an expert on dumb australians that aren't also hot actors, but going from those screens probably from posting ableist pepes at the slightest provocation

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Protagorean posted:

im not an expert on dumb australians that aren't also hot actors, but going from those screens probably from posting ableist pepes at the slightest provocation

source your quotes

aimee's an overeducated idiot who doesn't see the irony in complaining about other overeducated leftists

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

i say swears online posted:

christie made the right move making one story take place on a train

i'm glad someone mentioned brust and bull, i stumbled onto them when i was 19 and it's still some of the more tolerable fantasy out there. his detective novels are fun

there's a bunch of 60's crime novels where a rabbi figures out murders in a rabbinical way

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friday_the_Rabbi_Slept_Late it starts here, I remember it because my great-grandmother bequeathed a shitload of hardback Reader's Digest to me on her death and this was one of the series included

Victory Position has issued a correction as of 23:30 on Jan 29, 2021

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Eustace posted:

why does she get banned so much?

ban evasion?

Protagorean posted:

pepes aren't a ban worthy thing anywhere

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

idk who aimee terese is but i have to hear about her every single time i open twitter

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Chapo's continued hatred of The Shape of Water confuses the hell out of me lol, what on earth do they see in it that I don't? It's a fun movie.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Knives Out was the best movie Rian Johnson made since Brick but that's not saying much.

It is not better than The Brothers Bloom.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

sleeptalker posted:

Knives Out was a fun murder mystery and its portrayal of white supremacy perpetuating itself even among the "woke" was pretty good (it even basically posits that it happens by virtue of material relations!), but ultimately its social viewpoint falls short of suggesting anything but meritocratic reform.

Who gives a poo poo. It's a fun throwback murder mystery, who cares if it supports your politics? It's a loving murder mystery, the genre invented by bored rich British incest people.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Protagorean posted:

posting ableist pepes at the slightest provocation

new thread title

corn haver
Mar 28, 2020

Victory Position posted:

there's a bunch of 60's crime novels where a rabbi figures out murders in a rabbinical way

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friday_the_Rabbi_Slept_Late it starts here, I remember it because my great-grandfather bequeathed a shitload of hardback Reader's Digest to me on her death and this was one of the series included
this sounds way better than anglican or catholic clergy solving mysteries

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth

Shipon posted:

source your quotes

aimee's an overeducated idiot who doesn't see the irony in complaining about other overeducated leftists

i don't think overeducation is her problem but i find it interesting you do

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Maya Fey posted:

its just a fun murder mystery movie with the same mild social satire you find in the average agatha christie novel

Knives Out was fine. My main complaint is that, even as part of a genre known for convoluted murder plots, it had a ridiculous scheme at its center.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

mila kunis posted:

i forgot i was the op of this thread. gimme recommendations to update the OP with

General Intellect Unit - The podcast of the Cybernetic Marxists. Examining the intersection of Technology, (Left) Politics and Philosophy. http://generalintellectunit.net/

They read a lot of texts by Stafford Beer and go through how applying cybernetics can shape the world towards the fully automated luxury space communism we all dream about. Recently they have had interviews with people who have set up co-ops or have had a successful unionization effort, and talk through democratizing the workplace.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Protagorean posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0JFE0viIQQ

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

i think of demons posted:

this sounds way better than anglican or catholic clergy solving mysteries

Hey In the Name of the Rose is a great book, movies pretty good too

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

mila kunis posted:

i forgot i was the op of this thread. gimme recommendations to update the OP with

beep beep lettuce https://m.soundcloud.com/beepbeepleaf

Populon
Mar 1, 2008

What's the matter,scared?

Gripweed posted:

new thread title

Hell, new forum title

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

Gripweed posted:

Who gives a poo poo. It's a fun throwback murder mystery, who cares if it supports your politics? It's a loving murder mystery, the genre invented by bored rich British incest people.

They cared enough to make it the subtext of the movie. The fact that it's enjoyable makes it more worth thinking about.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Deified Data posted:

Chapo's continued hatred of The Shape of Water confuses the hell out of me lol, what on earth do they see in it that I don't? It's a fun movie.

chapo film takes are their like one embarrassingly wide blind spot and their hate of shape of water is probably driven mostly by contrarianism than critique

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Deified Data posted:

its actually fun? never saw because it seemed to be the combo of the worst of slow quiet scifi and the worst of slow tortured romance combined.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I Before E posted:

It is not better than The Brothers Bloom.

fair play i actually never saw that one

The Shape Of Water is decidedly b-tier Del Toro, like even Crimson Peak was better so it does feel a little off that Shape of Water got tons of oscars

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
The Shape of Water is Del Toro by numbers, it’s a fine movie but I can get someone not being into it. It was certainly better than Pacific Rim.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Pirate Jet posted:

The Shape of Water is Del Toro by numbers, it’s a fine movie but I can get someone not being into it. It was certainly better than Pacific Rim.

It's 100% this - if you're a fan of GDT or just like good popcorn flicks it's great, but I remember their first big discussion on it years ago and they all seemed to think it was filled with intentional oscar bait? I never got that vibe. If you liked Hellboy you'll like this.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

wait the Shape of Water has action scenes in it like Hellboy or Pacific Rim?

wow the trailer did not do it justice.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i like Michael Stuhlbarg but his subplot in Shape of Water was really lame. the Michael Shannon stuff was pretty lame too and I love him. movies have too many subplots these days.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I enjoyed his gross rotting hand

Trabisnikof posted:

wait the Shape of Water has action scenes in it like Hellboy or Pacific Rim?

wow the trailer did not do it justice.

eh I'd say it's more along the line of Pan's Labyrinth in tone, which is my favorite movie personally so I'm definitely biased

Deified Data has issued a correction as of 23:18 on Jan 29, 2021

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
shape of water and knives out were both really bad. instead y'all should listen to brian and felix's talk about shock jocks

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Deified Data posted:

Hating anything Del Toro is disappointing.

papa horny michael posted:

shape of water and knives out were both really bad. instead y'all should listen to brian and felix's talk about shock jocks
You 100% should buy all the shocktobers.

Populon
Mar 1, 2008

What's the matter,scared?

mcmagic posted:

You 100% should buy all the shocktobers.

I want to listen but I must remain steadfast in my practice of never ever under any circumstances spending money on podcasts

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Hating anything Del Toro is disappointing.

He's had some English language stinkers, and while I wouldn't say Shape Of Water is as bad as Pacific Rim or Blade 2, when Matt described Shape Of Water as all sentiment, I completely understood why he hated it even though I loved it, because I'm a huge sap and the sentiment worked for me.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
del toro made one good movie. pacific rim is legitimately an embarrassment.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

The_Rob posted:

del toro made one good movie. pacific rim is legitimately an embarrassment.

Pac Rim 2 was an embarrassment. For what it was, 1 was fine.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

papa horny michael posted:

there is no discussion on this subject that can be called complete without any sort of discussion on Steve Dahl

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

pacific rim sucks poo poo, thankfully for GdT it's impossible to tell he was directing just by watching it

THS
Sep 15, 2017

pacific rim 1 was del toro’s only good film

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

I Before E posted:

He's had some English language stinkers, and while I wouldn't say Shape Of Water is as bad as Pacific Rim or Blade 2, when Matt described Shape Of Water as all sentiment, I completely understood why he hated it even though I loved it, because I'm a huge sap and the sentiment worked for me.

Wait what the gently caress?? Blade 2 owns you maniac