Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Personally I think more content is always better, even if it's a bit imbalanced. I like Sukiract's wonders (mt Fuji, Grand Canyon and so on) + the Steel & Thunder and Steel & Thunder Unique Units mods.

I don't worry about rebalancing mods too much, and many of them are too fiddly/make me relearn the game due to a modder's weird notions on what is imbalanced or overpowered.

Also the bridge district mod so you can bridge 1 tile straits (really useful in my most recent map because it'll allow me to cross a 1 tile strait between my empire without needing to go the long way around or have everybody embark) + it looks neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

mandatory lesbian posted:

I basically can only do domination on 4 player maps because any larger and i just get bored halfway through when youve conquered like 2 civs and your empire is too big to fail and do a science victory instead

This is why I wish the game rewarded tall playing a little better. I’m the same way. Dominate a neighbor in early to mid game and then I barely have to try because my culture or science output will another whoever’s left.

Just setting up for an invasion is tedious in the end game. Move all my units to the border of this Civ? They’ll be in place in ten turns. Ten turns takes loving forever.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Goa Tse-tung posted:

...why? 6 is neither a competitive game nor an online service game

*monkey's paw expires after 60 turns*

Most of their civ balance passes are about reworking weaker/boring civs than anything else, so it's basically adding new content for most players that wouldn't have bothered with those civs otherwise.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Internet Explorer posted:

I think, for me, the best part of the game is the storytelling in the beginning of the game. I think that's why I've liked the expansions. I'm not normally one to care about storytelling, but I guess it's more unwrapping the potential of the game. Once I hit mid game, I kinda know how it's going to go and it's just a matter of slogging through it. I feel the same way with games like Total War Warhammer.

The last game I was victorious I decided to actually use the timeline feature the devs added in Rise and Fall and it was surprisingly interesting. There was a fun amount of satisfaction scrolling through the historic moments and being like "oh hey I remember that" and "wow did I really get to Industrial Age this quickly" and such. I kinda wish they would've expanded on it a bit more, perhaps provide snapshots of the relevant cities/units/etc. at the time of the moment so you have a more visual progression to look back on.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

How's the industry update? Is it fun? Does it bring new life to the game?

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Goa Tse-tung posted:

fwiw the update breaks the UI mods that handle trading, otherwise everything still works for me

Yeah "make this deal more equitable" now seems to always result in "I'm not willing to trade that," but then if you manually change the amount you're offering/asking, they will usually wind up agreeing. So now instead of asking for 10 GPT, clicking "make more equitable," and getting a counteroffer of 4 GPT, you have to keep changing the amount by hand and checking again and again until they agree. It's annoying.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Finished my first game with the Corporation Mode on along with Secret Socs because I like it, and as Kublai Khan China. Won one of the easiest Diplowins ever by just being isolated on an island chain and gradually built an anti-Rome/Rome2/Macedon alliance and swimming in gold through trade. His ability encourages very much already optimal builds like taking advantage of Wisselbank and gunning for Democracy, which I technically finished the Statue of Liberty before I even got to. the amount of economic slots you can have with Kublai and Owls of Minerva is ridiculous.

I think the corps mode is interesting and adds a neat layer, but I did not have much incentive to take much advantage of multiple industries as I had a plethora of Mercury and the science modifier helped me keep up in tech, so I'll have to try playing again to get a better feel. So far it reminds me I just want real production chain type stuff in added; abolishing the distinction between lux/bonus/and strategics as harvested on the map separately and add more stuff that lets you convert them into different resources like getting amenities from turning rice into sake or choosing between converting oil into plastics and vinyl records for cultural wins or using it to fuel your navy.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Anyone else's GPU usage go way up with this patch?

Preserves seem kinda neat if a little situational, but it also helps make Earth Goddess more of an attractive pantheon I think

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jan 29, 2021

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
Vietnam is supposed to be able to plant woods after getting Medieval Fairs, but in my game it doesn't seem to work. Anybody else notice this? (Edit: never mind, it just doesn't work on volcanic soil or plains. Has to be grassland I guess.)

Stefan Prodan posted:

Preserves seem kinda neat if a little situational, but it also helps make Earth Goddess more of an attractive pantheon I think

It's a good match for Vietnam, because she's heavily incentivized to not chop features, so it's harder to make enough farms to sustain a large population. It makes sense to me that they released them at the same time.

showbiz_liz fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jan 29, 2021

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Preserves also seem like a good early-game way to pay attention to Appeal. I kinda like them.

Vietnam rocks. Yes they're hard to invade but that doesn't stop you from going on the offense either. I blew the poo poo out of Ambiorix and he was begging for mercy by the end.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I won a Vietnam game last night. I got lucky with relics and heros to get insane early culture and tourism output. kristina declared a surprise war on me in the renaissance when I was pulling ahead. I was unprepared but between the special encampments, the extra movement and combat strength in jungle, and the special elephant crossbows I absolutely crushed the invasion with minimal effort.

Next game in Xanadu a stately pleasure-dome I shall decree.

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.
Bull Moose Teddy is really solid with the new district. Getting the +2 faith from high appeal tiles pantheon really makes for great way to get a ton of parks going. I was top 3 for science for a long time in a culture game on deity. Its nice not having my units be super far behind and really satisfying seeing these yields

Grundma fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jan 29, 2021

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Grundma posted:

Bull Moose Teddy is really solid with the new district. Getting the +2 faith from high appeal tiles pantheon really makes for great way to get a ton of parks going. I was top 3 for science for a long time in a culture game on deity. Its nice not having my units be super far behind and really satisfying seeing these yields

Maybe I'm an idiot when it comes to Bull Moose Teddy, but I keep rolling a bunch of rainforest and floodplains so there's not many places to stick NPs. I haven't got up to Conservation yet, though, so perhaps it'll look better once I start popping down a few parks.

Also, can preserves be included as part of a national park or do they have to be outside the boundaries? 'cause it looks like they could only improve 2/4 NP tiles if outside.

E: also I don't comment on it enough but this is a very pretty game.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

So the NFP is on sale for $29.99 at the moment. Is it worth picking up if I am only really interested in the new Civs and base game additions?

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Meridian posted:

So the NFP is on sale for $29.99 at the moment. Is it worth picking up if I am only really interested in the new Civs and base game additions?

If you have G&S, yes, it’s worth it. It adds a ton.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
lol brand new snow city with one hercules charge (or could be Renya buy)

preeetty strong

(earth goddess and eiffel tower too though)

edit: holy poo poo you can double up on preserve bonuses if you get two preserves touching the same tiles

Okay, won that game super hard, verdict is corporations are kinda interesting, I don't think they change a whole lot about how you play the game though so I actually think the preserve is a much more interesting addition, which opens up a lot more avenues of city planning and I'd have to think about it but might make Reyna more valuable as an early pick? Or at least viable, in order to get her to help boost poo poo to breathtaking and also get the gold bonus from all those forest tiles you don't improve. I guess it only works in her city though which kinda sucks.

But yeah the eiffel tower/preserve combo is insanely strong, having earth goddess was a bonus but I would have been fine without the extra faith.

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jan 30, 2021

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.

Albino Squirrel posted:

Maybe I'm an idiot when it comes to Bull Moose Teddy, but I keep rolling a bunch of rainforest and floodplains so there's not many places to stick NPs. I haven't got up to Conservation yet, though, so perhaps it'll look better once I start popping down a few parks.

Also, can preserves be included as part of a national park or do they have to be outside the boundaries? 'cause it looks like they could only improve 2/4 NP tiles if outside.

The preserve itself can't be in the park but the enhanced tiles can be.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Bob A Feet posted:

If you have G&S, yes, it’s worth it. It adds a ton.

Managed to snag it for twenty. Looking forward to getting back into the game.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Man Bull Moose Teddy with both his bonuses firing off well with the new district and lucky resource monopolies in the new game mode makes a culture win almost cartoonishly easy. Modern age victory without even really focusing too much on it beyond a little spell where I hard rushed a couple great merchants to start a company or two. Hell I didn't even use my preserves super well and still wound up with insane yields. Like, not even really a criticism because it's like saying 'lol domination wins with Bolivar are so easy', no poo poo that's what he's built for, but I wasn't expecting to be actually caught off guard by a win.

I was setting up to finally start a war with Sweden, too :smith:

But yea, this pack rules, I think Corporations, Heroes, and Secret Societies are gonna be my default always on modes, they just add so much fun poo poo to play with.

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
These tourism numbers PotatoMcWhiskey got seem pretty good for Monopolies:

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I didn't buy the New Frontier pass, I picked up pieces of it on sale. Is there a way to buy Bull Moose Teddy without spending $40 on the whole pass?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Stefan Prodan posted:

Anyone else's GPU usage go way up with this patch?
It's already stupidly high for what it is. They made it even worse?

ccubed posted:

These tourism numbers PotatoMcWhiskey got seem pretty good for Monopolies:

"Tourism from Great Works in Old God Obelisk, +96"
:cthulhu:

How many monopolies did he have by the end? One?

Poil fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Jan 30, 2021

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Hey, Maui can spawn resources that do not exist anywhere in the game map. I possess all the coffee in the world, a single tile's worth. It's not enough to create Starbucks, but it did give me a free achievement and 25 gold per turn.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
That +1,400% surely can't be working as intended?

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Albino Squirrel posted:

You're right, they can only improve 1/2 of a single Natural Parks tiles.....but it can do that to multiple national parks...and the bonuses from preserves stack.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
Finished my first Vietnam game. I like it for giving you a way to maintain competitive culture production in the early game without having to focus on culture-specific buildings. I wound up second in line for a culture victory behind the Ottomans without trying for it at all, then cemented my victory with a late-game military push to take half his cities which were chock-full of wonders.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Preserves aren't a DLC feature? I don't have the Frontier Pass but Preserves show up as buildable.

E: In multiplayer

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jan 30, 2021

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Chamale posted:

I didn't buy the New Frontier pass, I picked up pieces of it on sale. Is there a way to buy Bull Moose Teddy without spending $40 on the whole pass?
Unless they've patched it, apparently you can play with the personas in multiplayer. Set up a game with just yourself and everyone else as AI, play as usual. Might have to be in Hot Seat, I'm not sure.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

John F Bennett posted:

How's the industry update? Is it fun? Does it bring new life to the game?

Well, no one responded so I bought it to see for myself.

I guess it's nice, nothing special though.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
In my current Kublai Khan Mongolia game, I'm making 350+ gold per turn in the medieval era.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

John F Bennett posted:

I responded?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
okay the tourism from industries is gonna need to be nerfed heavily, 1400% is loving insane

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

I know the AI sucks but is the MP stable-ish without regular desyncs? My gamegroup got a Civ itch again we have not scratched in years since our last Civ 4 game. V is just hopeless with the desyncs.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
You get a multiplier also for every civ that doesn't have your luxury at all and potato combined it with anansi deleting everyone else's tea or whatever it was, so you have to have that game mode on and get anansi to do that strategy but yeah it's still very high even if you don't

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Kanfy posted:

Balance is good and cool even in single player games as it's rather lame if for example the cool civ I like to play sucks rear end compared to the others.

i kind of disagree. trying to make all civs equal leads to regression to the mean. if you really get a good chemical release because the game says you are georgia, you can just change the text files for gran colombia or whoever so that it says you are georgia instead. its functionally the same regardless if its civ A vs civ B or georgia vs england.

but beyond that it is much more interesting if not all civs are equal, let me play a "bad civ" against a bunch of "good civs."

In civ5 it wasnt neccessary for venice to be OP and it still would have been an interesting and fun to play civ.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Rimusutera posted:

I responded?

Somehow your response passed me by. But I thank you for your input!

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

i kind of disagree. trying to make all civs equal leads to regression to the mean. if you really get a good chemical release because the game says you are georgia, you can just change the text files for gran colombia or whoever so that it says you are georgia instead. its functionally the same regardless if its civ A vs civ B or georgia vs england.

but beyond that it is much more interesting if not all civs are equal, let me play a "bad civ" against a bunch of "good civs."

In civ5 it wasnt neccessary for venice to be OP and it still would have been an interesting and fun to play civ.

You can balance around making civs more fun and distinct rather than exactly as powerful as each other.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Ratios and Tendency posted:

You can balance around making civs more fun and distinct rather than exactly as powerful as each other.

Agreed. Hence my Venice comment.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Ratios and Tendency posted:

i think this is more important to me then every civ being good. Its kind of sad to me none of the civ 6 civs are as distinct as venice was, imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

John F Bennett posted:

What it does imo is heavily encourage you to build commercial districts, which I usually don't prioritize. But you need the great merchants to make corporations, so I wound up making a bunch of them very early on and then just saved my first few until I got the required tech. By keeping those merchants on reserve I was able to make three corporations in like 700AD.