Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Pretty excited for the Sandman announcement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Jagermonster posted:

Yeah they clearly and specifically identified most of the people in the town except Agnes. So Wanda may be creating the reality but still lots of room for mystery as to whether she's being manipulated/nudged/influenced for whatever reason. Man seeing dead Vision was a punch in the gut.

Interesting thing to look back on, but in the first episode, Agnes mentions that she was out of town when Wanda and Vision showed up. That could be part of her "script," but it might be something of note down the line.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
That was a really cool episode. Liked how they played up the ominous, horror feeling in that final scene

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Kat loving Dennings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Lots of good jimmy woo this ep too

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

site posted:

Lots of good jimmy woo this ep too

Made an incredibly embarrassing noise when he introduced himself to Monica with close-up magic

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Arist posted:

Made an incredibly embarrassing noise when he introduced himself to Monica with close-up magic

That was so awesome.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Arist posted:

That was just the best callback

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/OfficialKat/status/1355208617910128643?s=20

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Well, poo poo, the emoji didn't actually show up there

Only registered members can see post attachments!

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Anyone zoomed in on that cop's badge yet to see if he's Ralph?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
It may be rote at this point, but it's just wonderful that this is a TV series about two Avengers that also features side characters from Thor, Ant-Man, and Captain Marvel. I love spending time in what actually feels like the Marvel Universe.

SonicRulez fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jan 29, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Davros1 posted:

Well, poo poo, the emoji didn't actually show up there

Yeah, emojis don't always work in embedding.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

SonicRulez posted:

It may be wrote at this point, but it's just wonderful that this is a TV series about two Avengers that also features side characters from Thor, Ant-Man, and Captain Marvel. I love spending time in what actually feels like the Marvel Universe.

yeah this feels much more connected than even a majority of the films

at the risk of being flogged by the thread, i will say i wasn't overly impressed by this episode though. a bit too early to pull back the curtain and start explaining some minor details thoroughly. i liked the opening scene though, that was cool

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

yeah this feels much more connected than even a majority of the films

at the risk of being flogged by the thread, i will say i wasn't overly impressed by this episode though. a bit too early to pull back the curtain and start explaining some minor details thoroughly. i liked the opening scene though, that was cool

Yeah, the entire episode was just explaining backstory from previous episodes.

Still though Kat Dennings!!!!!!!!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, the entire episode was just explaining backstory from previous episodes.

Still though Kat Dennings!!!!!!!!

I will admit to smiling when she showed up

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

I will admit to smiling when she showed up

There's two types of people.

People who think Kat Dennings is the best part of the first two Thor films

and people who are wrong.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Skwirl posted:

There's two types of people.

People who think Kat Dennings is the best part of the first two Thor films

and people who are wrong.

:hmmyes:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
One thing that isn't really a plot hole, but just probably a 'they didn't really bother checking' thing, Darcy wasn't actually a physics major in the Thor films she appears in. The joke was she was in political science and just interned with Jane because it was paid and no-one else applied. Now obviously about a decade has passed in-universe and assuming she wasn't dusted, she could have completed her degree, done another post-grad and PhD, or just switched majors, but I assume the writers just forgot and assumed she was in the same field as Jane and Selvig.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Doesn't really seem that big of a stretch to assume that she just went in a different direction after multiple encounters with aliens

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Also we don't have a real name for Dottie either, i don't think, and someone pointed out that with the platinum hair and the way they're styling her, Emma Caulfield-Ford wouldn't be a bad shout for Clea from Dr Strange.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Pretty sure if I met Thor I'd start caring a lot more about astrophysics.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Gaz-L posted:

One thing that isn't really a plot hole, but just probably a 'they didn't really bother checking' thing, Darcy wasn't actually a physics major in the Thor films she appears in. The joke was she was in political science and just interned with Jane because it was paid and no-one else applied. Now obviously about a decade has passed in-universe and assuming she wasn't dusted, she could have completed her degree, done another post-grad and PhD, or just switched majors, but I assume the writers just forgot and assumed she was in the same field as Jane and Selvig.
She has a theoretical degree in Astrophysics

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Skwirl posted:

Pretty sure if I met Thor I'd start caring a lot more about astrophysics.

Yeah that was my thought. "Holy poo poo this stuff is amazing I'm totally changing my major"

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

It seems like SWORD is just SHIELD which is a bit of a bummer

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

omg chael crash posted:

It seems like SWORD is just SHIELD which is a bit of a bummer

It sounds like they're basically what they are in the comics, SHIELD but for Space Stuff, but now picking up some of SHIELD's work because that doesn't exist anymore.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
If my thought dead wife came back as a superpowered hero and I just encountered multiple species of aliens, one of which just attempted to nuke my planet, I'd probably push to create an agency to deal with aliens too

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The one thing that's interesting is Maria died 3 years ago (we're told) but no-one's pushed to make Bland McWhiteguy the permanent director?

Jagermonster
May 7, 2005

Hey - NIZE HAT!
It sounded like it was supposed to be the SWORD of the comics dealing with space stuff but the blip messed everything up so they’re just doing terrestrial stuff?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
The first few minutes of this week's episode is really what I was hoping for in post-Endgame TV shows. Dealing with the post-blip. Much better than Far From Home did.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Gaz-L posted:

The one thing that's interesting is Maria died 3 years ago (we're told) but no-one's pushed to make Bland McWhiteguy the permanent director?

Maybe everyone on the board to make that decision also got snapped

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Medullah posted:

The first few minutes of this week's episode is really what I was hoping for in post-Endgame TV shows. Dealing with the post-blip. Much better than Far From Home did.

What, "suddenly there's too many people on the basketball court" didn't do it for you?

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Gaz-L posted:

It sounds like they're basically what they are in the comics, SHIELD but for Space Stuff, but now picking up some of SHIELD's work because that doesn't exist anymore.

What I mean is, it feels just like SHIELD with a new name instead of what I was hoping SWORD would actually be

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

That kinda sucked. The first three episodes were very naturally and subtly explaining what the situation is, and then they do an episode just to blatantly explain it in case anyone was confused.

I liked Kat Dennings in the Thor movies, but she was a bit terrible here. It's like they made some kind of horrible compromise to make the previous episodes good. They were given a base minimum amount of terrible Joss Whedoney banter that they needed to put in the show, and they kept it out of the sitcom episodes by dumping it all onto Kat Dennings. "We cant have Vision say 'That just happened' in the first episode, it doesn't fit the time period at all! We can take that line out if we balance it by having Kat Dennings be sassy-mean to the chemist in episode four for no reason"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

omg chael crash posted:

What I mean is, it feels just like SHIELD with a new name instead of what I was hoping SWORD would actually be

The whole "let's just remake SHIELD with a new name and not examine any of the underlying problems with the concept that allowed it to be completely infiltrated by literal Nazis in the first place" is very on point for the MCU.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Skwirl posted:

The whole "let's just remake SHIELD with a new name and not examine any of the underlying problems with the concept that allowed it to be completely infiltrated by literal Nazis in the first place" is very on point for the MCU.

Or the real world, for that matter.

Oh, another minor point but I feel very dumb for not noticing that Agnes is most likely her improvising a Westview name much like Monica did, but doing the classic sitcom 'start the first syllable and figure it out' bit. AGatha harkNESS.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Gripweed posted:

That kinda sucked. The first three episodes were very naturally and subtly explaining what the situation is, and then they do an episode just to blatantly explain it in case anyone was confused.

I liked Kat Dennings in the Thor movies, but she was a bit terrible here. It's like they made some kind of horrible compromise to make the previous episodes good. They were given a base minimum amount of terrible Joss Whedoney banter that they needed to put in the show, and they kept it out of the sitcom episodes by dumping it all onto Kat Dennings. "We cant have Vision say 'That just happened' in the first episode, it doesn't fit the time period at all! We can take that line out if we balance it by having Kat Dennings be sassy-mean to the chemist in episode four for no reason"

Agree that Dennings was not great here. I enjoyed this, but I do think that a lot (probably most) of the answers to questions from the first three episodes that we got here could have been integrated into the forward plot progression of subsequent episodes rather than made the focus of a flashback episode. Well, it's Marvel Studios' first foray into episodic television, I guess it's not surprising that they're still figuring out how to structure a story for that medium.

also: not posting them here, but some very spoilery clips and images from what seems to be the sixth episode have leaked, so be warned

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
This was the second foray. Reminder that Falcon/Winter Soldier was supposed to air last July before... well... obviously.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Gaz-L posted:

This was the second foray. Reminder that Falcon/Winter Soldier was supposed to air last July before... well... obviously.

you could argue that, sure, but it's the one that's airing first and the showrunner said last week that some things were reworked and rewritten over the course of the COVID-induced production delay last year, so I would still say it's effectively the first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Skwirl posted:

What, "suddenly there's too many people on the basketball court" didn't do it for you?

To be fair, Spider-Man is a much goofier tone than this.