Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
?
This poll is closed.
Yes 62 44.93%
No 76 55.07%
Total: 138 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Internet Wizard posted:

You left out the ((())) around hedge fund, is the problem here. Because that's how a significant portion of the community driving this is framing it internally.

what the gently caress are you on about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
The last time I sat my rear end in a theater was when Jurassic Park rereleased in 3D around a decade ago.

I'm not going back into a theater.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

MA-Horus posted:

well you see our province is run by a complete and utter moron who has been doing nothing but babbling mealy-mouthed platitudes while our privately owned long term care homes have turned into a charnel house of death.

once all the olds and ltc workers get vaccinated our death rate will plummet but The Coward Douglas Ford is a loving criminal and deserves to be mussolini'd over this poo poo.

for example the ltc homes were so bad in the first wave that we had to send in the caf (who actually did a heroic loving job, couldn't be prouder of them) and they wrote a report where it was very clear that massive amount of elder abuse was happening in the homes. in the 2nd wave it's so much worse, but The Coward Douglas Ford refuses to send the army back in because he doesn't want another report. a former conservative premier of ontario is a board member for one of the worst offending ltc companies.

You need to have "The Assassination of the Coward Douglas Ford by Jesse James" happen

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

PookBear posted:

what the gently caress are you on about.

A vocal fraction of people who are bandwagoning the market fuckery are doing it because of anti-semitic conspiracies about Wall Street. They don't care about damaging capitalism, they care about hurting Jews.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Kazinsal posted:

A vocal fraction of people who are bandwagoning the market fuckery are doing it because of anti-semitic conspiracies about Wall Street. They don't care about damaging capitalism, they care about hurting Jews.

Cool.

Lmao antisemitism gives the 💎 🧤 emoji constellation a different meaning

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Wait- no, I saw Goonies at a drive in.

There was a theater not far that was renting out for private showings, but we could never get out schedules sorted enough to getting working, and I think they are all closed in my area.

I'd love to rent out a theater to watch Starship Troopers, since I never gor to see it in the theaters.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

bulletsponge13 posted:

Wait- no, I saw Goonies at a drive in.

There was a theater not far that was renting out for private showings, but we could never get out schedules sorted enough to getting working, and I think they are all closed in my area.

I'd love to rent out a theater to watch Starship Troopers, since I never gor to see it in the theaters.

A bunch near me are doing the rental thing but they want like $300 for anything worth watching, all the $100 stuff is trash.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mustang posted:

I just invest my money in an index fund and call it a day, trying to get anything else out of the stock market is a fools errand. Something like 1% of investors can beat the stock market. That's a whole lot of effort when you could just mindlessly auto invest your money into an index fund and make more money in the long haul.

(incoming post from someone who knows just enough to get by and not enough to be dangerous)
A little more effort can net you a little better long term return. Instead of an index fund, diversify into several plus bonds. I've got funds tracking several large cap (S&P 500, NASDAQ, FTSE), small and mid cap, and a grab bag of bond funds which don't do terribly well most days but usually smooth out the bumps during downturns.. What this means is that during weeks like this one with huge plunges in major indices, I still lost but not as much as if I had pegged to just one. It's less about "beating the market" than smoothing out volatility.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

What the gently caress is a 4D theater?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjm_zmBoxjw

This?

Has special seatz that blow hot air on you for explosions, mists you for rain, rumblers in the seat, stuff like that

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I thought that was still kinda a disney theme ride thing.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

For the most yeah but i think it was only in limited theaters. Kevin smith would give away 4d tickets from his live podcast thing before covid. They went for something stupid like 50 a piece

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
way down in the hole

https://twitter.com/ZoeTillman/status/1355307004953243651

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/tomgara/status/1355167185895874560?s=20

If you're a long-time Thomas Friedman watcher, you really need to listen to his loving analogy because it is crazy

The next 6 months will be crucial

I've actually read an entire Friedman book and this was spectacular.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Stultus Maximus posted:

American populism has always been no more than a half step away from white nationalism.

its practically a cornerstone of the republic.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I've met Tom Friedman. I've met five year olds.

Absolutely nothing Tom Friedman is qualified to explain will be news to a five year old.

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jan 30, 2021

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

shame on an IGA posted:

Meanwhile, in some genuine next-level stupidity that no one could have anticipated because holy poo poo why would anyone ever do that, WSBers are bypassing the buy limitation by buying in the money february call options and exercising them

Options are not intuitive to me. Why is this dumb? Or is it just the fact that other options are being used to (try to?) gently caress over shorts?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Lake of Methane posted:

Options are not intuitive to me. Why is this dumb? Or is it just the fact that other options are being used to (try to?) gently caress over shorts?
My understanding is that an option is you paying a fee to reserve the right to buy Stonk X at Price Y in the future, even if Stonk X is presently worth 2Y.

At best, they are cheating the hypothetical future owner out of some of the profits of their sales, but are also paying a fee to do so. Another outcome is that they do not exercise this option because the Gamestop stock is like 42.069 (nice) at that time, and buying a $42 stock for $350 or whatever is pretty stupid.

Another outcome is that Gamestop stock is at $30 at that point, but they exercise the option and buy it for $350 for the memes and to send a message.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Lake of Methane posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I strapped myself in for the ride so I've been following r/WSB and if there's some antisemitic movement being harnessed to propel this then it's not from there. Great advice on how to lose lots of money very fast though.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Eej posted:

I strapped myself in for the ride so I've been following r/WSB and if there's some antisemitic movement being harnessed to propel this then it's not from there. Great advice on how to lose lots of money very fast though.

poo poo is a firehose. Do not enter without a stablizing bump of coke.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Lake of Methane posted:

They're buying in the money call options for $320 (GME closed at $325 today) closing next Friday which comes with a $125 premium. So if they buy the option and exercise it immediately they convert the option into shares for $320 + $125. Everyone holding on for a short squeeze expects the stock price to shoot $1000+ so if you're hoping to see that happen you're still making money.

The only catch is you gotta be really sure of that bet because options only come in sets of 100 so that's still $125,000 in premium and that's before you pay up for the $320,000 in shares.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Eej posted:

The only catch is you gotta be really sure of that bet because options only come in sets of 100 so that's still $125,000 in premium and that's before you pay up for the $320,000 in shares.

So what you're saying is sell my house, max out my credit cards, and call my local loan shark right away??

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Congrats McNally!

The Capitol Attack, Impeachment and GameStop Make it Clear: 2021 Is Shaping Up to Be the YEAR OF THE MODERATOR

https://time.com/5934433/gamestop-capitol-attack-impeachment/

I tried to read this article, but my eyes kept glazing over.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

It even works if things go nuclear, as you need a nuclear moderator to start the reaction!

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Brute Squad posted:

Congrats McNally!

Thank you for your service McNally.

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

Eej posted:

They're buying in the money call options for $320 (GME closed at $325 today) closing next Friday which comes with a $125 premium. So if they buy the option and exercise it immediately they convert the option into shares for $320 + $125. Everyone holding on for a short squeeze expects the stock price to shoot $1000+ so if you're hoping to see that happen you're still making money.

Thank you for helping me appreciate the idiotic parts.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

They are trying to engage with people and radicalize them. If you know that, you can tell people and warn them about Nazis trying to enter their spaces, and prevent people from having their feelings preyed upon by Nazis.
QFT.

The fash is unfortunately good at identifying when folks are in a vulnerable position and planting the seeds of hate. It's not immediately intuitive or even comprehensible for most of us looking wryly on from afar, but some of the folks participating in this genuinely believe that they're in the trenches and taking a noble stand against goliath. They disparage the doubters and the tourists and leave themselves uniquely susceptible to a nudge from anyone they view as an ally in their current struggle. And, unfortunately, the fash puts in active efforts to bring them into the fold, no matter how little, instead of rejecting all who don't already buy in.

So, yeah, at the same time as we cheer for the hedge funds getting a kick in the pants, just stay vigilant for the sketchy characters working the crowd.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Eej posted:

This post is almost entirely wrong. They’re buying deeper ITM options that cost much less premium (BEYOND THE PRICE-STRIKE) not ATM options, and 325x100 = 32,500 not 325,000

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

So what's this, Time Man of the Year #3 for you?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

shame on an IGA posted:

:mcnally:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

pmchem posted:

This post is almost entirely wrong. They’re buying deeper ITM options that cost much less premium (BEYOND THE PRICE-STRIKE) not ATM options, and 325x100 = 32,500 not 325,000

Woops, brain tired math bad.

Ok I looked at the post and that's even more hilarious

E: ahaha okay yeah, you pay for 100 shares at 295.55 of a stock at 295.27 and by the time you finish reading this sentence it's already at $298

Eej fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jan 30, 2021

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
I hate it when I fall ill after consuming a substance acquired outside of authorized food supply distribution channels.

https://twitter.com/LethalityJane/status/1355363775021412353

https://taskandpurpose.com/news/fort-bliss-injured-antifreeze-training/

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

shame on an IGA posted:

Second, I wasn't in for 2003 when they named the American soldier the Person of the Year.

Unless, of course, it's retroactive upon joining. In which case this'll be #4 since the American Fighting Man was Man of the Year in 1950.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I always thought of warrants as some kind of super enlisted, where they dream up new and dangerous ways to do things as part of their day job, but know all the shortcuts to fixing anything in their specialty.

I don't know what to think of flight warrants, super enlisted with a definitive death wish?

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

facialimpediment posted:

I hate it when I fall ill after consuming a substance acquired outside of authorized food supply distribution channels.

https://twitter.com/LethalityJane/status/1355363775021412353

https://taskandpurpose.com/news/fort-bliss-injured-antifreeze-training/

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

The neoliberal Bush policies of medicare for all and a wealth tax? She was the most progressive candidate this cycle other than Sanders.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5Nq3RG8b84

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I always thought of warrants as some kind of super enlisted, where they dream up new and dangerous ways to do things as part of their day job, but know all the shortcuts to fixing anything in their specialty.

I don't know what to think of flight warrants, super enlisted with a definitive death wish?

My OIC for a couple years was a CWO4 that would occasionally grab all of the intel collections enablers and have us practice throwing knives at a cubicle wall panel in the office for an afternoon

So yes, big enlisted energy

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
I figured they were just fatter, older enlisted when I saw our RSM get pissed and whip his dick out at everyone at our Annual Corp night, and get sent home by the CO.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Oh ye of little Faith...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
https://twitter.com/RawStory/status/1354233510320611335?s=20