Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Vince MechMahon posted:

My guess is this movie will not be in continuity with the other stuff.

It absolutely will be, all Ultraman content is in continuity with all other Ultraman content because they each take place in their own universe in the larger Ultraman multiverse, through which many Ultramans can travel freely.

Although I doubt Ultraman Z will pop in to help Shin Ultraman defeat a monster. But he could!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
When I heard Shin Ultraman I imagined a grotesque organic looking Ultraman fighting super gory Kaiju fights with oil spewing robots.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Arcsquad12 posted:

When I heard Shin Ultraman I imagined a grotesque organic looking Ultraman fighting super gory Kaiju fights with oil spewing robots.

:same:

I was expecting body horror to be a big factor in the transformation, given how Shin G evolved and grew.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Arcsquad12 posted:

Big Mean Jerk posted:

:same:

I was expecting body horror to be a big factor in the transformation, given how Shin G evolved and grew.

I dunno, maybe its just because I'm so used to TV Ultraman, but I do see a slightly eerie biological nature to Shin Ultraman. It's the same design(minus the Color Timer), but TV Ultraman is clearly a guy in a suit. While Shin Ultraman definitely is not. It's not as obvious when you see it in just that short clip at the end, but this is weird. This is a weird alien

And if it's loyal to the show, don't worry, there will be gore. Ultraman has no problem with defeating monsters by cutting their arms and head off

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/JamesUrbaniak/status/1354945943691431936?s=20

thatfuturekid
Jan 5, 2014
Super stoked on Shin Ultraman. My introduction to the Ultra universe was when I randomly rented Ultraseven from my library a few years back. That poo poo got me hooked right away.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The original three shows are really, really good if you want to take a look at them.

Ultra Q is twilight zone but with kaiju plots, the original Ultraman is just super imaginative and every episode is a kaiju movie, and UltraSeven ditches kaiju, since it's a different show, and goes hard on the sci-fi. If you like TOS Star Trek or old school Who, Seven is great.

After that things take...not a stumble, but a slide. Return of Ultraman starts out really, really strong, with the early episodes directed by Ishiro Honda in fact. It loses steam though and by the end its kind of ropey. It also never reaches the highs of Ultraman or Seven and is a little too long.

Ace is when the budget drops out and they try to make things more kid show-y. Its still got some dark episodes and written to a more adult eye, but the ratings were fading. So for Taro, they both tried to return to the classic kaiju formula and also tried to make it MORE kid focus, which drove off adult viewers hurting the ratings even more.

As a fun fact, UltraSeven was actually written as an adult sci-fi series. That was the primary target. Ultraman was a family show, UltraSeven aimed for adults with kids as a secondary focus. This is why you got more war crimes and less sad skeletons.

Leo came after Taro and tried to be more adult and was...not successful. Leo is great, great ride, but it's a mess. By this point the oil crisis is in full swing so Ultraman gets retired. 80 was a blip that was good, but not stellar, and is decently remembered. Also, most of these are now streaming in various places if you live in the US!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Also if you want a short list of episodes a small indie up and comer by the name of Anno made some suggestions

https://twitter.com/Petsuchan/status/1354890581441392646

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Gripweed posted:

I dunno, maybe its just because I'm so used to TV Ultraman, but I do see a slightly eerie biological nature to Shin Ultraman. It's the same design(minus the Color Timer), but TV Ultraman is clearly a guy in a suit. While Shin Ultraman definitely is not. It's not as obvious when you see it in just that short clip at the end, but this is weird. This is a weird alien

And if it's loyal to the show, don't worry, there will be gore. Ultraman has no problem with defeating monsters by cutting their arms and head off

At the reveal of Shin Ultraman at the December 2019 Tsuburaya Con it was noted that the model of him was created by doing a 3D digital scan of original suit actor Bin Furuya. He's just a lanky dude.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Gripweed posted:

It absolutely will be, all Ultraman content is in continuity with all other Ultraman content because they each take place in their own universe in the larger Ultraman multiverse, through which many Ultramans can travel freely.

Although I doubt Ultraman Z will pop in to help Shin Ultraman defeat a monster. But he could!

Shin Ultraman will probably in no way whatsoever make any mention of any of the bigger Ultra universe outside of the Showa era I'm sure. MAYBE we will get a Zoffy appearance since the poster has a line that was said by him in the final episode of the original series.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Shin Ultraman will probably in no way whatsoever make any mention of any of the bigger Ultra universe outside of the Showa era I'm sure. MAYBE we will get a Zoffy appearance since the poster has a line that was said by him in the final episode of the original series.

Yeah it's extremely unlikely that Ultraman Zero will appear in the Shin Ultraman movie. But it seems almost guaranteed that Shin Ultraman will at some point fight alongside Ultraman Zero.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Aside from pirating how do you actually watch any of those?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Vintersorg posted:

Aside from pirating how do you actually watch any of those?

Mill Creek has been putting a bunch of the classic and modern series out on bluray. 20-25 bucks per season.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Also if you're in the US

https://tubitv.com/search/Ultra

https://tubitv.com/search/Ultraman

OR

https://www.shoutfactorytv.com/tv/sci-fi

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/yoncrowstack/status/1354885902611271684?s=20

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/artb0i/status/1354815576774852610

Violator
May 15, 2003

Maxwell Lord posted:

The footage they use is from War of the Gargantuas which you absolutely should see, it's on HBOMax and Criterion Channel. The monsters aren't Bigfoots, but spawn of a giant Frankenstein monster (from Frankenstein Conquers the World which isn't on streaming sadly.)

I was pretty impressed by War of the Gargantuas. I don't know if it's because the monsters are more human-like, but there were quite a few parts of the movie that were legitimately creepy. And several shots, like the first attached one where a man in a boat is looking down in the water and sees the monster for the first time, that were terrific in motion. Imagine looking down and seeing something standing there looking at you! A lot of good wide angles, too.

The climatic battle at the end between the monsters was interesting. It looked and felt like a lovers quarrel. They would argue, grab each other, hug, push one another, scream at each other. Push each around. When they got violent, it felt like some sort of gently caress fighting to determine who was supreme.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Tekne posted:

The warbats are some f'd up lookin mofos.

Venomancer from hit game/toxic waste site Dota 2? what are you doing here

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Andrew Wyeth's Gaira's World (c. 1966)

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I don't have this streaming service but I do have Youtube, which has the first several Ultra series in their entirety.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Violator posted:

I was pretty impressed by War of the Gargantuas. I don't know if it's because the monsters are more human-like, but there were quite a few parts of the movie that were legitimately creepy. And several shots, like the first attached one where a man in a boat is looking down in the water and sees the monster for the first time, that were terrific in motion. Imagine looking down and seeing something standing there looking at you! A lot of good wide angles, too.

The climatic battle at the end between the monsters was interesting. It looked and felt like a lovers quarrel. They would argue, grab each other, hug, push one another, scream at each other. Push each around. When they got violent, it felt like some sort of gently caress fighting to determine who was supreme.

Yeah, the film stands out from Toho's other fare in a lot of ways. The monsters are closer to human size than most of their kaiju, which lets them build bigger miniatures, and the semi-human faces are also pretty eerie (especially using the actors' eyes.) Plus Gaira actually eating people gives it a more horrific feel, and there are plenty of atmospheric touches. It's a cool little variation on the kaiju formula.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

My wife has been going through the DKC series starting at 2 then 3 now 1 and this couldn't be any more appropriate.

https://twitter.com/TomoTomohiro1/status/1355287151290757120

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/KaijuNewsOutlet/status/1355620887924531212?s=20

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

King Kong has already won.....

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Not surprising; also the guy behind it being revealed to the general public to being a huge chud was also part of the downfall.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Mam, watching the Arrow Heisei discs, the city models in Gamera make the similar-era Godzilla ones look kind of crummy

A Dapper Walrus
Dec 28, 2011

RichterIX posted:

Mam, watching the Arrow Heisei discs, the city models in Gamera make the similar-era Godzilla ones look kind of crummy

Yeah, I gotta agree - Gamera: Legion especially has been looking awesome. Really enjoying the Arrow releases.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

RichterIX posted:

I just finished watching Iris last night. Yeah these movies have always been pinnacles of Heisei kaiju movies, and as someone who watched them when they were first released they were BIG NEWS for kaiju fans back then. Guardian of The Universe was loving MIND BLOWING at how good it was. It really put the Godzilla movies of the time to shame in a sense. Shinji Higuchi's work is top notch.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/KaijuNewsOutlet/status/1355953191037399047?s=20

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Buy it for your partner and suddenly you're on the wrong side of the bed because they want the godzilla side of the blanket

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Vinylshadow posted:

Buy it for your partner and suddenly you're on the wrong side of the bed because they want the godzilla side of the blanket

Let them gently caress. </serizawa>

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://twitter.com/nxonnetflix/status/1356286196427710471?s=21

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I guess they didn't spring for the Portal lady for the computer voice this time.

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

"Reports are confirmed to be breaches from known hellscape Cleveland Ohio"

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Little about that really screamed Pacific Rim to me.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

They brought the cool stompy cockpits from the first Pacific Rim. I wonder if they'll have an explanation for that or just act like the lame cockpits from Uprising never happened.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Gripweed posted:

They brought the cool stompy cockpits from the first Pacific Rim. I wonder if they'll have an explanation for that or just act like the lame cockpits from Uprising never happened.

Acting like Uprising never happened is a good start.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
They should have knocked over the Unicorn statude.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

The kaiju invaded Australia so they’d have a bunch of nice flat cheap deserts to fight in instead of having to animate expensive waves and water effects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The art style reminds me of Planet of the Monsters and that is not a good thing.