Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Necrothatcher posted:

I'm not sure if this is a little thing in a game but it cracked me up

Picturing the interpreter desperately signing YOU IDIOT THEY'RE ON TO YOU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Zoig posted:

This think looks like a cross between a pump action shotgun and a shoggoth, and you reload it by feeding it small fish.

Opposing Force did it first. :colbert:

(Including the idle animation. Who's a good alien fish monster? You are!)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I bet that choice in AC:Odyssey to let the plague family on Kephallonia live or not went over a little differently in 2018 than it does now.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Vandar posted:

:yeah:

Kassandra has become one of my all time favorite game protagonists ever. Everything about her is just...incredible and amazing and awesome. :swoon:

Even though it's the Bronze Age, Kassandra is here to make sure there's plenty of guns.

Though she doesn't quite surpass Alkibeades as the biggest womanizer in the Aegean.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Phy posted:

I bet that choice in AC:Odyssey to let the plague family on Kephallonia live or not went over a little differently in 2018 than it does now.

lol from the YOSGames thread

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I finished AssCreed Origins and picked up Odyssey cheap, one of the first 'quests' I found was a burned out village with a dodgy-looking priest and a couple thug henchmen holding a man + wife + 2 kids ready to put them to the sword: Ah we had to burn the whole village to contain the plague, these people were trying to escape

prisoners: *cough* We are hardly sick and will leave if you let us

Yeah I'm sure when the game came out in 2018 a majority of players put the priest and his lackeys to death and freed the family, but here in Covidworld? sorry folks, not my problem

/walks away to stabbing sounds :o:

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Sally posted:

link me! i like proggy basslines in video games

https://supergiantgames.bandcamp.com/track/rage-of-the-myrmidons

e: oh wait that's not the one but it's still rad, and i think someone linked the right one already anyway

quote:

Korb described the genre of the Hades soundtrack as "Mediterranean Prog-Rock Halloween"

biosterous has a new favorite as of 03:57 on Jan 30, 2021

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Phy posted:

I really dislike that there's no follow-up to that quest that has you looking for a cure or something.

Cythereal posted:

Even though it's the Bronze Age, Kassandra is here to make sure there's plenty of guns.

Though she doesn't quite surpass Alkibeades as the biggest womanizer in the Aegean.

He's not a womanizer. He's an everythingizer. :colbert:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Vandar posted:

I really dislike that there's no follow-up to that quest that has you looking for a cure or something.

There is a followup, kinda! If you kill the priest, and come back to Kephallonia at a later time, the whole island has caught plague and a lot of people have died.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Just like real life

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I love this game's english translation and unironically hope they don't change any part of it

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
Playing through Muramasa: The Demon Blade, I love the food cooking and eating animations, it looks so tasty.

https://youtu.be/Rk9ZWZhiqVE

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

bony tony posted:

There is a followup, kinda! If you kill the priest, and come back to Kephallonia at a later time, the whole island has caught plague and a lot of people have died.

Let me rephrase: I wish there was a followup to THAT part. It's kind of terrible that you end up leaving the island just ravaged by plague and half it's people dead.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
kassandra can do a lot of things but i think punch a disease into submission isn't one of them

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

flatluigi posted:

kassandra can do a lot of things but i think punch a disease into submission isn't one of them

Pretty lame for a god killer (Right? You kill gods by the end of that one right and not Origins?)

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I never played the DLC, and judging by the scorn I probably never will.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

flatluigi posted:

She can't, but she meets and befriends literally the doctor of doctors during her travels. :colbert:

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I never played the DLC, and judging by the scorn I probably never will.

The first DLC (Legacy of the First Blade) would otherwise be okay if nothing special but the bad plot stuff that everyone hates really drags it down, the second DLC (The Fate of Atlantis) is very good

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

flatluigi posted:

I dunno, if you kill everyone on the island, then the disease can't spread.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

I love this game's english translation and unironically hope they don't change any part of it

Whats nice is that it seems like extra care is taken for any gameplay related text so that its still clear while any other text is that level of perfect awkward, and so far every time i misunderstood the text it was actually better for me than i would have expected, like the new char getting free snipers from minibosses, not just bosses, or the altfire magdump on the venom pistol working with infinite ammo no problem.

The game does a much better job than borderlands making every weapon feel unique simply due to the variety of mods they can have that honestly borderlands could takes advice from them.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Zoig posted:

or the altfire magdump on the venom pistol working with infinite ammo no problem.

I wish I had thought of this because I had the bottomless magazine scroll and then found that weapon

Instead I used the double barrel shotgun, which technically shoots as fast as you can click but is balanced by having an extremely long reload after just 2 shots, except this scroll makes ammo drain from your reserve and not the magazine, so it instantly turns the double barrel into a terrifying shotmachinegun that I used to erase the new boss when it made the mistake of landing next to me

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I love Fenyx Rising's take on the glide mechanic, something I've felt should be in pretty much every open-world game since BotW. I think it even improves on that, giving you a double-jump and much better maneuverability, not to mention looking completely awesome. Also it's way more entertaining in how your character reacts when you run low on stamina, panickedly flailing around as they fall hundreds of feet while you play chicken with your last gasp of stamina vs the ground.

Robert J. Omb
Dec 1, 2005
The 'J' stands for 'AAARRGH!'
Finally got around to Resident Evil 7 and I like the way the VHS works.

It makes what could have been a simple cut scene interactive and organic as well as providing a naturalistic way to show you secrets or where to go next.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Something along these likes in Hades:

"Zagreas went out into the chill and started to get a cold and there is no cure for that"

So dark. But not wrong.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Fartington Butts posted:

Something along these likes in Hades:

"Zagreas went out into the chill and started to get a cold and there is no cure for that"

So dark. But not wrong.

The narration in Hades is a whole lot of fun, in large part because most of it's just constantly lightly insulting Zagreus. Not enough to actually piss him off, but enough to keep him constantly slightly annoyed.

It's honestly probably a very big part of what makes me like Zagreus. He's a character that if you wrote it wrong would be just an unlikeable little poo poo, in a similar vein to a lot of swing-and-a-miss JRPG protagonists or 'wisecracking coolguy' action protagonists. But I think the very first thing that puts him a step above that is that the narrator--and most of the people you interact with early on--think he's kind of a loser.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 12:29 on Jan 31, 2021

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Assistant Manager Devil posted:

I love Fenyx Rising's take on the glide mechanic, something I've felt should be in pretty much every open-world game since BotW. I think it even improves on that, giving you a double-jump and much better maneuverability, not to mention looking completely awesome. Also it's way more entertaining in how your character reacts when you run low on stamina, panickedly flailing around as they fall hundreds of feet while you play chicken with your last gasp of stamina vs the ground.

If you run out of stamina while gliding, you'll just float harmlessly down to the ground.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Cleretic posted:

The narration in Hades is a whole lot of fun, in large part because most of it's just constantly lightly insulting Zagreus. Not enough to actually piss him off, but enough to keep him constantly slightly annoyed.

It's honestly probably a very big part of what makes me like Zagreus. He's a character that if you wrote it wrong would be just an unlikeable little poo poo, in a similar vein to a lot of swing-and-a-miss JRPG protagonists or 'wisecracking coolguy' action protagonists. But I think the very first thing that puts him a step above that is that the narrator--and most of the people you interact with early on--think he's kind of a loser.

Hes also a genuinely good guy. Just an all around nice boy.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Morpheus posted:

If you run out of stamina while gliding, you'll just float harmlessly down to the ground.

Oh lol, I'm so trained to not let it run out I never quite did that.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Oh lol, I'm so trained to not let it run out I never quite did that.

Yeah it took me a little while to figure out too.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Control: I like the way the Board talks. <It's creepy/alien/foreboding but also amusing/funny/brick at the same time. Ignore this message.>

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
similarly, i dig how Former really struggled to communicate

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's very funny how The Board has to rephrase everything into video game terminology that you dumb millennials will understand.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've started playing Fur Fighters: Viggo's Revenge, a 20-year-old ps2 game that came out before 9/11, and while aspect of the writing and voice acting have aged poorly, the puzzles are quite amusing and often have interesting ways of solving them. Two of them frustrated me, one being getting one of the penguin's babies that I overthought because there was a challenge riding a train and I thought the Penguin had to do that to get to the station - turns out no one actually HAS to ride on top of the train, that's just for a few small collectibles, and there was a back entrance to the station that gave the Penguin easy access.

Also, one of the dog's babies threw me off but that was because I succumbed to the classic "Gamers Never Look Up" syndrome - it's trapped on an iceflow in the city that you can't jump to as the dog (and each person can only collect their own cubs, so the kangaroo can't just hop up and get it for him) - the solution is to look on top of a nearby building, notice a clearly marked water tower, shoot it and the water freezes on the ice flow, closing the extra couple of inches that allow the dog to hop up there.

The museum was a blast because it had some really amusing puzzles and a miniboss. Once I've got the last four babies there (I don't need to revisit the museum because I have the 25 I need to unlock the boss, but I want to find the remaining museum babies) I'll do the boss and see what the next stage/world is.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

exquisite tea posted:

It's very funny how The Board has to rephrase everything into video game terminology that you dumb millennials will understand.

One of my favorite of the Hotline messages is the one where the Board stumbles over this translation and just embarrassingly hangs up like "y'know what we're not communicating effectively here never mind"

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The whole experience is what I imagine it must be like to get drunk dialed by aliens.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Age of Empires 2 DE has a small random chance to change the face of the loading screen guy to a blend of his look from the old Age of Empires 2 cover. It's a little unsettling to suddenly notice it after 5000 loading screens and it's only up for a couple seconds so by the time it sinks it it's already gone

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

The latest Stardew Valley content update has a lot of neat little things. Two of my favorites, with copious spoilers since the update is only out on PC. Both involve post-island content.

The Qi slime enemies in the harder, "challenge" versions of the mine and Skull Cavern have sunglasses and grins that look suitably distorted when viewed from behind (i.e., through the slime's body).

The Dwarvish Sentry enemies in the Volcano Dungeon immediately reminded me of the Dwarf Gadget artifact. Maybe it's just me; I thought it was a neat callback.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

It's fun that Fenyx Rising shares a lot of the voice cast with AC Odyssey, but I got a good laugh when I recognized Kassandra's voice actor as Athena. Like, you know it's a silly universe when Kassandra is the Goddess of Wisdom.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

It's fun that Fenyx Rising shares a lot of the voice cast with AC Odyssey, but I got a good laugh when I recognized Kassandra's voice actor as Athena. Like, you know it's a silly universe when Kassandra is the Goddess of Wisdom.

I was waiting for her to roll her eyes and call someone an rear end in a top hat but it never came :(

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

High WIS, low INT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The Chad Jihad posted:

Age of Empires 2 DE has a small random chance to change the face of the loading screen guy to a blend of his look from the old Age of Empires 2 cover. It's a little unsettling to suddenly notice it after 5000 loading screens and it's only up for a couple seconds so by the time it sinks it it's already gone

I noticed that. Probably a mistake/bug. Creepy.

I wonder are there games where the very UI deliberately gaslights the player? Small changes that amount over time fwith the intent to unsettle the player.