Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I've always said that a great anthology series would be a different episode each week with regular people dealing with the fallout of the blip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Jagermonster posted:

Yeah they clearly and specifically identified most of the people in the town except Agnes. So Wanda may be creating the reality but still lots of room for mystery as to whether she's being manipulated/nudged/influenced for whatever reason. Man seeing dead Vision was a punch in the gut.
Also glaringly noticable by her absence on the big board: Dottie. It's a pretty clear signal to keep our eyes on those two in particular, and honestly I'm surprised nobody on-screen called it out as a mystery when they were doing that bit. Presumably they don't have everyone in town ID'd yet, and when the name gets down to two they can't find a real world analogue for, they'll notice. Or maybe they'll notice when there's only those two left, and then they find the ID for one of them.

I really, really like the way they did this. Positing it as an in-universe sitcom was a neat trick to get some audience surrogates on the screen -- I alluded to it already, but the Big Board of Theories where the characters are asking themselves all the same questions the audience has been asking, right down to "what's with the hexagon motif" was great -- and it also answers a lot of background stuff and gives an avenue to feed further plot revelations to us. The characters and us are here, so now the characters can move forward and take us along organically. That's nicely done.

I continue to hope that Wanda isn't the bad guy and that they're not setting her up for the villain of Spider-Man 3 and Dr. Strange 2, but my hopes are dwindling. I can no longer hope she's not the one doing this -- she clearly is -- I can only hope that she's either being manipulated or her powers are completely out of control and she's not aware of what she's doing (which got a brief nod in its direction when Wanda seemed to blank out and then return to her sitcom persona after ejecting Monica). As others have said, "woman can't handle her emotions and goes evil and so goddamn crazy" is a completely overdone story in the comics, was never a good look, and would be an even worse look here.

And yes, Jimmy Woo taking some of his five years to learn close-up magic was just :discourse:.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

CapnAndy posted:

As others have said, "woman can't handle her emotions and goes evil and so goddamn crazy" is a completely overdone story in the comics, was never a good look, and would be an even worse look here.

Yeah, I'd hate if every future appearance of her in a movie (and/or reference to her) to have some character quip about "Oh Wanda's the one who went nuts, right?"

Also I guess his voice is distinctive but I found it weird that everyone was able to immediately identify Vision in his human disguise.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Wandavision cold open was fantastic and really should have not gone into the bombastic Marvel logo. Rest of the episode was good but felt like it just confirmed some of the most plausible theories

Yeah. Honestly with the show doing different riffs on sitcoms, I kind of wish they'd do different stylized Marvel logos at the start for each era... which I guess would make the bombastic one appropriate for this episode but whatever, it did kill the vibe.

edit:

Apparently Darcy's seeing the ads like we are, so why has no one noticed the HYDRA ones? You'd think that'd be a big red flag for them.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jan 30, 2021

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

TwoPair posted:

edit:

Apparently Darcy's seeing the ads like we are, so why has no one noticed the HYDRA ones? You'd think that'd be a big red flag for them.
I’d imagine they have noticed and have the same extremely probable theory that we do. “The ads are referencing formative events in Wanda’s life” is pretty obvious, and a line like “hydra soak? Wanda was given her powers by HYDRA!” would kinda just make whoever said it sound dumb, wouldn’t it?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

CapnAndy posted:

And yes, Jimmy Woo taking some of his five years to learn close-up magic was just :discourse:.

Oh my GOD I didn't even realize what this was calling back to until just now.

Jimmy Woo please use this show as an opportunity to take over the position of Sorcerer Supreme

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Argue posted:

Oh my GOD I didn't even realize what this was calling back to until just now.

Jimmy Woo please use this show as an opportunity to take over the position of Sorcerer Supreme

I don't remember the close up magic part of Antman and the Wasp

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Sgt. Politeness posted:

I don't remember the close up magic part of Antman and the Wasp

It was one of the things Scott learned to keep Cassie entertained while he was under house arrest. Later in the film, an agent walks in on Woo looking up classes on-line.

At one point Scott uses misdirection to escape from Ghost, which he says he learned at "Close-Up Magic Online University"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Notably, unlike a lot of cases of close-up magic in movies, Paul Rudd really did the one or two tricks in the movie. (Pretty basic sleight of hand stuff, much like the card bit in last night's WandaVision, so I hope Randall Park really did it, but the long shot suggests not)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

In the beginning when Scott's foot accidentally goes outside the perimeter, Woo and other agents show up. Scott tells him one of the things he's been doing to fill the time was learn close-up magic and shows him the card trick.

Jimmy is really interested in how to do it and has that follow-up scene.

Someone made a video with all 3 clips of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrWTlIfh5uA

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

In the beginning when Scott's foot accidentally goes outside the perimeter, Woo and other agents show up. Scott tells him one of the things he's been doing to fill the time was learn close-up magic and shows him the card trick.

Jimmy is really interested in how to do it and has that follow-up scene.

Someone made a video with all 3 clips of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrWTlIfh5uA

I love that this 40 seconds does so much to tell us what type of person Jimmy Woo is.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
He's a youth pastor.

Also, I think it blows that Rambeau, Woo, Darcy, Vision an Wanda's performers, as well as most of the supporting characters are clearly going all out trying to sell this, because honestly, I think the first four episodes of WandaVision so far kind of suck.

They're just so meandering and heavy-handed and the bright spots where the cast get to shine through are so few and far between.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I am going to be very upset if Vision doesn't survive the series.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Rhyno posted:

I am going to be very upset if Vision doesn't survive the series.

He would have to be alive in the first place to survive it. What we're seeing is a figment at best and Wanda literally puppeteering his "corpse" at worst.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Vince MechMahon posted:

He would have to be alive in the first place to survive it. What we're seeing is a figment at best and Wanda literally puppeteering his "corpse" at worst.

I don't think so.

We already know Wanda is going to be in Doctor Strange 2 which is all about the multiverse. It's very possible that she ripped open reality and pulled Vision into our world.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

My money is on Wanda's fantasy getting more realistic and better fleshed out until the barrier between the fantasy and reality drops and by that point Vision and their kids are basically real.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

We've already seen that the jump rope and Monica's "Geraldine" outfit can exist outside the Westview bubble. It isn't too much of a stretch to think that other things that were created inside will still be able to exist outside as well....including Billy and Tommy.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

jng2058 posted:

We've already seen that the jump rope and Monica's "Geraldine" outfit can exist outside the Westview bubble. It isn't too much of a stretch to think that other things that were created inside will still be able to exist outside as well....including Billy and Tommy.

Especially since we know the Hawkeye show is going to replace Jeremy Renner with lady Hawkeye. Her plus Billy and Tommy and we got a Young Avengers show and/or movie going

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Gripweed posted:

Especially since we know the Hawkeye show is going to replace Jeremy Renner with lady Hawkeye. Her plus Billy and Tommy and we got a Young Avengers show and/or movie going

They've recast Cassie with an older actress for Ant-Man 3 and I think America Chavez is in Dr Strange? Oh, and there are rumours about some of the Bradley family being in Fal/WS

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Feb 1, 2021

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Three episodes: here are some impressively accurate pastiches of a specific genre of entertainment that's existed for a human lifetime as it would have appeared during each decade, and we've also intriguingly blended them with mysterious hints at another layer of events as well as our own unprecedented work of fiction

One episode: here is the background of every mysterious moment so far uneventfully laid bare and here is also your favourite stock character, the Sassy Young Scientist Lady who is a Quicker Thinker Than All The Military Men and doesn't mind letting them know! but she also Gets Emotional Watching TV. ARE YOU IDENTIFYING YET

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I agree, those first 3 were boring.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gripweed posted:

Especially since we know the Hawkeye show is going to replace Jeremy Renner with lady Hawkeye.

Do we actually know that?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Rhyno posted:

Do we actually know that?

We know it's gonna have Kate Beaton and Jeremy Renner is old and expensive and problematic and his Hawkeye hasn't exactly been the most marketable character in the MCU, so I'm not sure why they'd keep him around as Hawkeye when they have new Hawkeye

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Kate beaton??

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gripweed posted:

We know it's gonna have Kate Beaton and Jeremy Renner is old and expensive and problematic and his Hawkeye hasn't exactly been the most marketable character in the MCU, so I'm not sure why they'd keep him around as Hawkeye when they have new Hawkeye

I mean he can't be that expensive at this point. I'd be shocked if he's done away with in the first season. I'm also surprised that there's been zero news about his lovely behavior

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Gripweed posted:

We know it's gonna have Kate Beaton
I'm loving the notion of Kate Beaton running around an MCU story drawing sketches of everything.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Her takes on comics were always A grade, I'm down for it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I bet Holland Spidey would be a fan of her stuff

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Rhyno posted:

I mean he can't be that expensive at this point. I'd be shocked if he's done away with in the first season. I'm also surprised that there's been zero news about his lovely behavior

They might keep him around as a supporting character, but he's not going to be prime Hawkeye. Lady Hawkeye is gonna be the Hawkeye going forward

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gripweed posted:

They might keep him around as a supporting character, but he's not going to be prime Hawkeye. Lady Hawkeye is gonna be the Hawkeye going forward

I don't doubt this. But if they do another Avengers flick he will certainly be a part of it in some capacity.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Did the jump rope show up because of the SWORD guy's "transformation" after passing through the barrier in the sewer? His hazmat turned into a bee keeper's outfit for ... reasons and the monitor cable or whatever turned into the jump rope?

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Black Panther spinoff series is coming to Disney+ as part of Ryan Coogler's newly announced overall deal with Disney

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1356332139986345984

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Maybe Shuri will have a very special episode where she learns about vaccinations

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

site posted:

Maybe Shuri will have a very special episode where she learns about vaccinations

and how they're a psy op by HYDRA to track everybody

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Just get Winston Duke on board.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

SlimGoodbody posted:

and how they're a psy op by HYDRA to track everybody

So that's how Zola's algorithm worked :tinfoil:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I'll say it again. I would watch hours of M'Baku chilling out in the mountains eating delicious vegetarian food.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

She's not Lady Hawkeye, she's Hawkeye. Or the better Hawkeye.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Codependent Poster posted:

I know pizza dog is in if, but will pizza dogs best friend be in it?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Not to be confused with Hawkguy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

bobkatt013 posted:

I know pizza dog is in if, but will pizza dogs best friend be in it?

I don't think there's enough time to explain Jonathan's backstory in that show.

One thing I hope the show will pick up, is the fact that she just goes by Hawkeye, since she's just incredibly bad at coming up with names.

Just try to pronounce that, let alone shout it across a room, to call someone.

Honestly, aside from Jenifer Walter's legal adventures, that is probably the MCU show I'm looking forward too the most. Ms Marvel and What if will probably be cool too. Don't really care for Loki, or Bucky.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Feb 2, 2021