Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
it’s a miracle my now 4 old hasn’t said a bad word she just gets mad at me and says I hope I make bad choices

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
we are definitely not careful around our kids but they've intuitively picked up not to say the bad words on their own

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

U-DO Burger posted:

in conclusion, baby sleep schedules are a land of contrasts

Yeah totally. My first slept through the night after the first week, my second didn't sleep through the night for the first three and a half years. It sucked. Every baby is different I guess.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
tom nook: looks like the cherry-like fruits on our island look like cherries and taste like cherries. in fact, I'm 100% sure they're cherries!

9-year-old: yeah no poo poo sherlock

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

i have never been happier to find out that there is a 24/7 streaming channel for MST3k and I can access it within seconds from my live tv option on my roku

i have also never heard an infant shriek like this lmao

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

I don’t know if it’s much help but we bought a light that removes blue light so in the middle of the night when we had to feed the baby it didn’t disorient us

Nite-Nite Light Bulb. Natural Baby Sleep Aid. Promotes Healthy Sleeping Habits for Baby and Mother | Certified by The National Parenting Center. (e26 (Standard)) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016K0W90C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_xFSdGb1WRNMY5?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

only if I had Pluto TVs mst3k channel when ours was a baby! I ended up watching Kung fu and Miami vice reruns on El Rey.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

A Switch + games that can be played in short chunks was a godsend during the first few months for me. I did so much grinding on Hyrule Warriors.

Also dunno what books you read, but pretty much all the ones I looked at varied from "only use a pacifier in absolute emergencies" to "never use a pacifier just deal with it," both claiming that giving an infant a pacifier will lead to them still needing one even when they start attending preschool. At least for us this was bullshit, we gave her a pacifier whenever she was otherwise inconsolable for the first few months and were able to wean her off relatively painlessly when she was a bit older; now at six months she only wants it when she's being put down for a nap.

e: All this is to say, do whatever you need to do to find reprieve from your screaming child. It's better for them and helps you be a better, calmer parent.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Big Mad Drongo posted:

A Switch + games that can be played in short chunks was a godsend during the first few months for me. I did so much grinding on Hyrule Warriors.

Also dunno what books you read, but pretty much all the ones I looked at varied from "only use a pacifier in absolute emergencies" to "never use a pacifier just deal with it," both claiming that giving an infant a pacifier will lead to them still needing one even when they start attending preschool. At least for us this was bullshit, we gave her a pacifier whenever she was otherwise inconsolable for the first few months and were able to wean her off relatively painlessly when she was a bit older; now at six months she only wants it when she's being put down for a nap.

I used the jolly pop ones and yeah I think at about 4-6 months ours just weaned off it.

what I’m having to deal with now was when my kids infant daycare teacher ,who she was attached to ,changed her schedule quite a bit and her coping mechanism was thumb sucking and now at 4 yr I can’t seem to break. thankfully due to covid precautions she washes her hands a lot but I’m trying to break that habit .

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
My three year old spent yesterday randomly crying. When asked she kept saying she was upset at the sun (in the morning it was too bright then it was going away later).

Parenting is so much fun

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Big Mad Drongo posted:

e: All this is to say, do whatever you need to do to find reprieve from your screaming child. It's better for them and helps you be a better, calmer parent.

bottles and pacifiers are both bad for kids and lead to massive trauamtic issues down the line.

i claim this, not because i believe it to be true, but because all three of my kids completely refused bottles and pacifiers despite months of effort and i am incredibly jealous of parents whose kids actually took them

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
when my kids were babies, the WiiU was A Thing so when my youngest was born (2014), she'd sleep on me during the night and I'd get to get some console gaming in without waking her. also thank god for the 3DS.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Louisgod posted:

when my kids were babies, the WiiU was A Thing so when my youngest was born (2014), she'd sleep on me during the night and I'd get to get some console gaming in without waking her. also thank god for the 3DS.

there's a picture of me holding our first baby with a baby carrier while i played dark souls back in 2011

couldn't do that for the following kids because playing M rated games in front of toddlers seemed like a Bad Idea, so instead i was introduced to the hellish world of mobile gacha games

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

haha that reminds me, i said before that my first child barely slept. this was true of car rides too. we would drive from seattle to portland to visit family (~3-5 hr trip, depending on traffic), and my daughter would cry for so much of the trip. and if we were ever lucky enough for her to fall asleep, slowing down for traffic at tacoma, olympia, etc. would wake her right up.

it was maddening, until we discovered that if we played a certain song at almost full blast, she would stop crying, calm down, and fall asleep after about 10-15 minutes of listening.

this is that song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epFrre9ujRM

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

U-DO Burger posted:

there's a picture of me holding our first baby with a baby carrier while i played dark souls back in 2011

couldn't do that for the following kids because playing M rated games in front of toddlers seemed like a Bad Idea, so instead i was introduced to the hellish world of mobile gacha games

works out for me, I prefer Nintendo games so as my girls got older we were able to play all those games together.. they loved Chibi-Robo on the 3DS when it came out, enjoyed watching the "dinosaurs" in Xenoblade X, Mario Kart, etc. the Switch is mandatory for parents, especially with the pandemic, it owns

U-DO Burger posted:

haha that reminds me, i said before that my first child barely slept. this was true of car rides too. we would drive from seattle to portland to visit family (~3-5 hr trip, depending on traffic), and my daughter would cry for so much of the trip. and if we were ever lucky enough for her to fall asleep, slowing down for traffic at tacoma, olympia, etc. would wake her right up.

it was maddening, until we discovered that if we played a certain song at almost full blast, she would stop crying, calm down, and fall asleep after about 10-15 minutes of listening.

this is that song:

your daughter is going to have spectacular taste in music, all the XB1 and 2 have amazing soundtracks. I'd put on the soundtrack of the first and dance with my girls to get them to begin liking it

Louisgod has issued a correction as of 17:58 on Jan 25, 2021

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

oxsnard posted:

we are definitely not careful around our kids but they've intuitively picked up not to say the bad words on their own

those are Daddy Words

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
re: bad words, it owns living in a country where the language we speak at home (English) is different than the language they speak at my daughters kindergarten. we don't know how to swear in the native language, and if my daughter drops a 'gently caress' or a 'poo poo' at school i'm not going to hear about it from her teachers because they could care less. but she seems to have a pretty good handle on the purpose of swear words and who should use them and when, so honestly we probably wouldn't have a problem even if we were at home. we've just never made it a taboo.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

U-DO Burger posted:

this is that song:

The entire soundtrack is so fuckin good

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

If you use a pacifier, I highly recommend this kind. Not only is it cute as hell but it's hard to lose, it balances on the baby's belly so if they spit it out it doesn't fall, and it's a soft, comforting weight for them.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

Harton posted:

Something super off putting about him. Like he ain’t got no kids why is he at the park?

I chuckled a little when I would watch Blippie with one of my gits and there'd always be a dad in the background like, "wtf??"

I think he's harmless– just a dude who did some super embarrassing stuff early on

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

Flavius Aetass posted:

If you use a pacifier, I highly recommend this kind. Not only is it cute as hell but it's hard to lose, it balances on the baby's belly so if they spit it out it doesn't fall, and it's a soft, comforting weight for them.

This is truth. My kids loved them. Buy an extra one so if you leave it at daycare you don't need to frantically drive there five minutes before they close.

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

for those with children in girl scouts cookie season is upon us

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

An Apple A Gay posted:

yeah I already told my kids' troop I'm not doing poo poo this year, both because I no longer work local and can sell to my co-workers, and because gently caress doing this during a pandemic. I'm cutting our troop a $50 check ($25 from each kid) instead so they can put it toward future stuff. their troop gets like what, $1 a box in profit to put toward trips and whatnot anyway right?

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

An Apple A Gay posted:

gonna blow $4000 to order 800 boxes ourselves for that sweet, sweet nintendo switch

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

lmao I'm so loving tired

Yet so loving happy

But also so loving tired

We got a good rhythm down of handing this kid off to each other and taking breaks and sleeping whenever possible and it has already been an adventure just shy of one week in

I'm crazy about this tiny rear end human

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

suddenly remembering how i managed to give up caffeine for 4 years and then that crashed the instant i became a dad

happy for you, new dad :unsmith:

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

U-DO Burger posted:

suddenly remembering how i managed to give up caffeine for 4 years and then that crashed the instant i became a dad

happy for you, new dad :unsmith:

lol yeah I switched from tea to coffee and now I’m back to tea after all of that was done

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Good soup! posted:

i have never been happier to find out that there is a 24/7 streaming channel for MST3k and I can access it within seconds from my live tv option on my roku

i have also never heard an infant shriek like this lmao

do you have one of those babies that cries like a normal baby but then after about 5 seconds turns it up to 11 and the wallpaper starts to curl

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

sonatinas posted:

lol yeah I switched from tea to coffee and now I’m back to tea after all of that was done

I mean, that way you can keep up with caffeine all day without going overboard.

Just gotta watch out for kidney stones. :keke:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Filthy Hans posted:

do you have one of those babies that cries like a normal baby but then after about 5 seconds turns it up to 11 and the wallpaper starts to curl

She reaches Pterodactyl levels the moment we go to change her diaper hahaha it's insane

She has been sleeping better and better and our pediatrician has been giving her a clean bill of health so all is well, just normal baby stuff, but we will have to keep an eye on her being tongue tied

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Good soup! posted:

She reaches Pterodactyl levels the moment we go to change her diaper hahaha it's insane

She has been sleeping better and better and our pediatrician has been giving her a clean bill of health so all is well, just normal baby stuff, but we will have to keep an eye on her being tongue tied

man, the tongue tie thing was such a dumb emotional journey for us. kid couldn’t feed without doing serious nipple damage. we had lactation consultants insisting that our son was horribly tongue tied, and that without surgery he’d be screwed. pediatrician and ENT totally disagreed.

we ended up taking a wait and see approach, as we didn’t want to subject our little baby to surgery, and the aftercare seemed like too much to do on top of normal fussy infant stuff, anyway.

never did release the tie. he’s fine now, and was breastfeeding like a champ after a while, anyway. /shrug

Insanite has issued a correction as of 22:49 on Jan 30, 2021

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

hello i have a 9 mo daughter and shes walking with a rolling walker thing as of yesterday

Its pretty drat amazing

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

shyduck posted:

hello i have a 9 mo daughter and shes walking with a rolling walker thing as of yesterday

Its pretty drat amazing

time to install the gates!

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

shyduck posted:

Its pretty drat amazing

:3:

always new frontiers of what to baby-proof

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
our two month old loves getting her diaper changed. She'll be uncontrollably crying but then you put her down on the changing pad and suddenly she's zen as hell

babies are weird

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
weird how not having poo poo in my pants makes me happier

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Flavius Aetass posted:

weird how not having poo poo in my pants makes me happier

it doesn't seem to matter how dirty her diaper is though lol

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

well my kid is a doomer now, she asked us this morning is the earth a body and people are the infections. I guess it’s time to get her an account at age 4.

we just told her that we can be like good bacteria.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

sonatinas posted:

well my kid is a doomer now, she asked us this morning is the earth a body and people are the infections. I guess it’s time to get her an account at age 4.

she's a four year old, don't confuse her just say "yes"

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

sonatinas posted:

My three year old is super creepy right now, she has been laying down with our one cat and quietly talking about how he has a skeleton inside of him and she wants to see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

B-Rock452 posted:

My three year old is super creepy right now, she has been laying down with our one cat and quietly talking about how he has a skeleton inside of him and she wants to see it.

My girls did this when they were younger too (4, 5ish), had a raccoon attack a few years back on our chickens and we had to bury one, and my oldest wanted to come back a month later to dig it up to get its skeleton. kids are cool.