Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Walrusmaster posted:

Wow, that looks spot on. Thanks!

Nuthatch wasn't a bad guess. They are a similar size and silhouette.

The colors are the biggest and easiest way to distinguish the two. Nuthatches in your area will only be reddish/brownish on the breast (if at all), but black, gray, and white everywhere else. Also, wrens have a more curved beak compared to nuthatches.

Nuthatches also do this cool/goofy thing where they scale tree trunks vertically and sometimes upside down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

that eyebrow game :swoon:

Walrusmaster
Sep 21, 2009

my cat is norris posted:

Nuthatch wasn't a bad guess. They are a similar size and silhouette.

The colors are the biggest and easiest way to distinguish the two. Nuthatches in your area will only be reddish/brownish on the breast (if at all), but black, gray, and white everywhere else. Also, wrens have a more curved beak compared to nuthatches.

Nuthatches also do this cool/goofy thing where they scale tree trunks vertically and sometimes upside down.

I appreciate the info. I grew up in the northeast, so I'm pretty bad at CA bird ID.

As a thank you, have a rainy bunny:

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

just vibin

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Yooooo I love his scaly self!

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Bewick's Wrens are awesome. At my last place they would hop through the laurel hedge snagging bugs, and when I looked them to identify them I found out they eat crane flies, so they instantly rose even higher up in my bird rankings. I loathe crane flies, and anything reducing their numbers in the world is a good thing.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

El Burbo posted:

just vibin

Super jealous. We just moved to NC and there are alligator warning signs all over the place, but not a single drat alligator to be found.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Slugworth posted:

Super jealous. We just moved to NC and there are alligator warning signs all over the place, but not a single drat alligator to be found.

Golf courses. If you’re near the NC/SC line down by myrtle beach PM me and I’ll tell you a good spot

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Orchard orbweaver hanging out

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
That's a beautiful shot.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
California Newt
Wildcat Cal Newt no logo-0218 on Flickr

California Slender Salamander
Wildcat Slender Salamander no logo-1698 on Flickr

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Can someone identify these little bastards here for me? They're currently all over my bedroom and I have no idea what they are or where they're coming from. The squares are standard squared writing paper.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

You got carpet beetles.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Ah, drat, I was afraid of that. Well, on the plus side, I don't have any carpets, so they'll probably go away again soon enough.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Cardiovorax posted:

Ah, drat, I was afraid of that. Well, on the plus side, I don't have any carpets, so they'll probably go away again soon enough.
neither do I, doesn't stop carpet beetles. they'll eat all sorts of poo poo. work on purging the bastards asap

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
Carpet beetles eat pretty much any protein. They like pet hair, pet food, leather, etc. The larvae are little hairy tan grub dudes.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Boric acid maybe? I know lots of people use that for roaches & ants

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
or diatomaceous earth. the safe kind, not the silicosis kind, though.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

Yeah, there's a special kind of spray for that, I already bought some. Thanks for the recommendations.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

I tried using diatomaceous earth to deal with fleas at my last place. Years afterward I was still vacuuming that poo poo up. The stuff is like the finest volcanic ash and gets everywhere, dries everything out to the point your eyeballs hurt, and never goes away.

Based on my personal experience I would not recommend using it indoors.

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

Is anyone here able to identify these (and yes, I understand that fungi are a fairly liberal interpretation of "critter)? We have a potted plant that has suddenly sprung forth with several groups of these:

Location is Wollongong, NSW. These ones were about 50mm tall, if that helps!

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I found some pretty cool moths. Like 6 of em all on the same tree.

And a green tree frog

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Dia de Pikachutos posted:

Is anyone here able to identify these (and yes, I understand that fungi are a fairly liberal interpretation of "critter)? We have a potted plant that has suddenly sprung forth with several groups of these:

Probably this guy or a relative https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leucocoprinus_birnbaumii

I'm no mushroom expert but I had these show up in a potted plant once too and that's supposed to be a not uncommon experience worldwide.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Dia de Pikachutos posted:

We have a mushroom thread! But also Regy is probably right, there are a couple of species that just really fuckin like potted plants

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

I've got a snake plant that periodically explodes with those mushrooms

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

quote:

In 1839 Czech mycologist August Corda described the same species from Prague where it was found growing in a greenhouse by a garden inspector named Birnbaum, hence the epithet birnbaumii.
Funnily enough, I would've accepted "they look like pears" as a reason, because my first reaction was "that's a weird-looking fruit."

Yes, I know they are fruit bodies. You know what I mean.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

I have also seen yellow shrooms similar to that in a potted plant.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
Heard someone cheeping up a storm so I turned on my feeder camera, and this little guy is just sitting there chirping his head off. Any idea why he's so worked up? It's in the 20's out here and he's usually super shy, never staying in one spot, and always seeming spooked by other birds around. The feeders WERE free of other birds when he was being noisy, though.

Carolina wren, as far as I know. (Central Kentucky)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

The Red Queen posted:

Heard someone cheeping up a storm so I turned on my feeder camera, and this little guy is just sitting there chirping his head off. Any idea why he's so worked up? It's in the 20's out here and he's usually super shy, never staying in one spot, and always seeming spooked by other birds around. The feeders WERE free of other birds when he was being noisy, though.

Carolina wren, as far as I know. (Central Kentucky)

Wrens being wrens. Maybe spring hormones are starting to kick in or maybe it thought it saw something like a cat or something that you didn’t see.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

Horniness makes sense, for a while there it was eat a sunflower seed, scream, repeat ad nauseam. Had no idea how LOUD they are.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The Red Queen posted:

Horniness makes sense, for a while there it was eat a sunflower seed, scream, repeat ad nauseam. Had no idea how LOUD they are.

That's my experience of Eurasian wrens: loud and constant screaming.

The loudest sound in the tiniest package.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Those little guys are noisy as hell, yeah. They're notorious for it - they can reach volumes of 90 decibels, which is about as loud as a lawnmower, if Google is to be believed. Mating period is usually around the end of April, but maybe this little guy was feeling the itch early.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

wrens are drama queens

i had a raven at the birdfeeder this past week. so that was cool

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

They don't call them "fence kings" or "winter kings" in Europe for nothing. Wrens are incredibly self-important little birds.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Every bird guide, paper and online, has in their section on the Carolina wren included a note to the effect of "A bird this tiny should not be capable of being this loud."

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

Another feeder bird - what kind of finch, do you think? Purple or House? I'm leaning toward purple (I live in central KY) because house finches don't seem to be as vibrant or have as much coverage of the red as this one.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

The Red Queen posted:

Another feeder bird - what kind of finch, do you think? Purple or House? I'm leaning toward purple (I live in central KY) because house finches don't seem to be as vibrant or have as much coverage of the red as this one.

The heavy streaking on the flanks make it House. They can be really variable in color and brightness.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

Found a tiny egg on my mint and I'm having no luck identifying it. I thought it might be red spider mite but it's not the right color, they are more red orange and not yellow with orange streaks.

Any ideas? Inaturalist wasn't much help.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Location?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Doot ID please (Virginia)