Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
once you get more ranged firepower fire veil stops being a problem and instead becomes lovely bonus grenades that stun crowds of enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Ray is a complete monster, she is wiping out entire maps alone at this point.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I've never been a fan of Ray and I'm not quite sure what I'm doing wrong with her because everyone else seems to find her busted. Her base accuracy, damage and crit have always been pretty pants in my experience. I've needed Direct Hit and Trance to make her competitive with the other characters and its not consistent and certainly doesn't clear maps.

Should I just be YOLO'ing her into groups alone and rely on Reckless Charge to take a ton of turns or something?

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Jan 30, 2021

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
She does a lot of damage and can't be blocked, so she can clear a lot of stuff out before things get too beefy to die in one hit. She also has access to the "One shot one kill" mastery that lets her take multiple actions.

She's basically a crowd clearer. She's not that good against bosses, but for those you can just use her for buffing/debuffing.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I mean, you can put One Shot One Kill on anyone.

I think a problem with Ray is that her starting masteries are rubbish in a way no other character's is, so she does require a complete re-do of her sets to really shine. Also, Alchemist is a much better advanced class than Grenadier, or at least much easier to make good builds with. She attacks, but she's not as strong as Heixing or Sion, she has support actions but the starting one requires adjacency and has limited uses which makes her less convenient than Anne and yet

She has access to Scholar masteries which are honestly very powerful (because of them she's easily the best character to lead efforts to power level beasts and drones), she is also one of the best for farming as her basic attacks are all AoE (and the Passion for Gold Alchemist set helps there). She also has very good range, only surpassed by the Sniper character, ignores line of sight and mostly ignores enemy cover (with a class mastery), which gives her a lot of flexibiltiy on how to fight. With four bond slots (and her range) she's a fantastic center piece for supporting fire shenanigans.

With Early Bird + Catharsis her cooldowns reset very fast, which lets you be in an almost permanent Trance and to drop her Ultimate to outright delete most enemies at your convenience. She has several class masteries that improve AT, which leaves her on the fast side of the party.

In a similarly optimized party, Heixing and Giselle will be dealing more damage than Ray, but she's in no way weak and has a lot of flexibility. If the main concern is her low damage output, try picking up Muscle Training and stuff, also her weapon drops are relatively rare, so she might be weak because she's in need of an upgrade, don't be afraid to craft her stuff. She should never be without the "Shake It! Shake It!" (Make Alchemical Compound + Throwing Fast + Quick Reaction + Shaking) set, IMNHO, as both it and its components masteries are very powerful.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Ray is a speedy aoe spammer that's also your emergency healer. Her debuffs help a lot more than you think, and cheats geometry in a way that guns can't.

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

I use grenadier all the time but her damage is alright I guess. I mainly just use her to run support for whichever team I have her with atm. If I do something stupid with another team somewhere else in the map she'll be there in like 2 turns at most to bail them out. Being able to attack from way behind cover is super nice too. You can clear out a bunch of scrubs with her easily but if there's anything that has actual defense then I prefer other characters for that

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

lil baby anime posted:

I use grenadier all the time but her damage is alright I guess.

Gonna echo ZearothK and say that Alchemist is just better than grenadier, Ray was pretty meh for awhile when I first started but she can get super ridiculous. Also Ideally she is just under permanent trance, every kill she gets extends its duration and trance gives a nice buff beyond overcharge.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Clarste posted:

Fire Veil seems positively quaint at this point, to be honest.

:kiddo:

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

once you get more ranged firepower fire veil stops being a problem and instead becomes lovely bonus grenades that stun crowds of enemies.

:hmmyes:

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Also you have access to Veteran or Massiveness on your frontliners later on. I did literally forget Fire Veil was a thing until the thread reminded me of it, but it was a strong source of caution for a very long time.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it mostly sucks when you rely heavily on albus early game, so you often have no choice but to ram him into exploding cutlery enthusiasts.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Out of curiosity does the Frostcon still do all its bullshit if you shut it down or do you just have to basically keep on attacking it and pray that it will actually take damage this time?

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Hunt11 posted:

Out of curiosity does the Frostcon still do all its bullshit if you shut it down or do you just have to basically keep on attacking it and pray that it will actually take damage this time?

Im not 100% sure what specially you are referring to but if any of the boss bicrons are shutdown before they take lethal damage they dont trigger overload

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

SpRahl posted:

Im not 100% sure what specially you are referring to but if any of the boss bicrons are shutdown before they take lethal damage they dont trigger overload

The ice bicron boss with special and heavy armor abilities.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
IIRC it's not random at all whether it takes damage, you just have to use big enough hits.

I don't think those abilities turn off when it's shutdown, but I can't say for sure.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Special Armor is annoying on enemies, but once you can put it on your own bots oh boy. I have a flamer bot that lives forever, confuses enemies when it crits and gives out helpful napalm shakes every time someone attacks me or I attack them. And every time it moves it automatically goes into overwatch.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Clarste posted:

IIRC it's not random at all whether it takes damage, you just have to use big enough hits.

I don't think those abilities turn off when it's shutdown, but I can't say for sure.

Special armor def does not turn off if its shutdown, the only thing that does is its immunity to death for 3 rounds if that hasnt activated before the shutdown and its ability to block which helps meet the min threshold for damage.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Man, next update is going to increase level cap to 52, there goes half my weekend re-doing character builds.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

ZearothK posted:

Man, next update is going to increase level cap to 52, there goes half my weekend re-doing character builds.

That's crazy, is that allowed?

Kata-Haro
Oct 21, 2010

New Violent mission as well. [Vestiges of War] does sound ominously Bicron related though.

Also,

Added the Steam Achievements.
-Bloody Red Destroyer
-Pure White Destroyer
-Deep Black Destroyer

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

Looks like we'll also be able to make all the cops leave the mission at once now instead one at a time.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Update is live. Based on the achivements looks like we've got a new enemy type on our hands.

Going to have my rear end kicked by robots later today.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I despise the extra hard warehouse mission. The outside is just fine but inside it feels like there are way too many robots and it is all too easy to stumble across multiple boss versions and get to deal with all their bullshit at the same time.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

I feels a bit awkward asking this when everyone's talking about really advanced stuff, but I'm stuck on mission 13 (A Night With a Full Moon). It seems like every computer terminal is guarded by about a half-dozen guys, and as soon as I start combat, every enemy on the map gets alerted and rushes me. What the gently caress am I supposed to be doing here?

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

5-Headed Snake God posted:

I feels a bit awkward asking this when everyone's talking about really advanced stuff, but I'm stuck on mission 13 (A Night With a Full Moon). It seems like every computer terminal is guarded by about a half-dozen guys, and as soon as I start combat, every enemy on the map gets alerted and rushes me. What the gently caress am I supposed to be doing here?

There's no real way that I could tell to avoid being spotted. Have to kill them faster than they can kill you and hit the terminals quickly. You may need to rethink your builds or play one of the non-story missions to get some levels and addtional masteries or something if you're really struggling.

Also, note that Kylie is a wrecking ball. Attack Protocol will pretty much demolish anyone you point it at.

Edit: The entire map shouldn't go alert from the get-go though, it should take a bit before that happens. Are you sweeping around from the north? I'd advise that, it's what I did. The one patrolling dude near the start might alert a lot more of the map. I avoided the patroller and headed north when I did it.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Stealth is not really an option other than maybe ganking the first few groups near the entrance. I think the first time I did it I did the terminals near the southwest then went clockwise from nine o'clock? (it has been over an year, sorry) Kylie is indeed super powerful and don't be afraid to use all her drone juice or to send the rest of the party to clear one of the other terminals while she finishes up one of the open terminals. Remember you don't need to hack all of them.

I am really enjoying V50. New enemies are super nasty, but beatable. I am honestly amazed how Dandylion manages to make stages that are legit challenging for post-game builds. My only 100% clear on Cruel/Challenge ended up with only Sion and Giselle left standing, but I also made a bunch of mistakes (mostly involving letting my tanks within range of the snipers, who really don't care much for block or dodge. There was also a nasty incident where I summoned one of my backup drones and then the new Sniper boss promptly killed it, making a full quarter of my party confused at a very bad time).

At least I feel no one in my current party is falling behind, Heixing seems low because most of his damage against human enemies came from Poison and Bleed, which doesn't enter the math. Leton in particular got a super unlucky sniper shot early on, so it is a poor sample size of his competence, though I've built him mostly as a freeze-tank rather than damage source.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

ZearothK posted:

I am really enjoying V50. New enemies are super nasty, but beatable. I am honestly amazed how Dandylion manages to make stages that are legit challenging for post-game builds. My only 100% clear on Cruel/Challenge ended up with only Sion and Giselle left standing, but I also made a bunch of mistakes (mostly involving letting my tanks within range of the snipers, who really don't care much for block or dodge. There was also a nasty incident where I summoned one of my backup drones and then the new Sniper boss promptly killed it, making a full quarter of my party confused at a very bad time).

At least I feel no one in my current party is falling behind, Heixing seems low because most of his damage against human enemies came from Poison and Bleed, which doesn't enter the math. Leton in particular got a super unlucky sniper shot early on, so it is a poor sample size of his competence, though I've built him mostly as a freeze-tank rather than damage source.

I just tried out the mission a few times and wow, those new Destron enemies are hard as gently caress. I guess it makes sense given how crazy it's possible to make your drone but god drat were those things infuriating to try and fight. Even Sion was plinking away at them. I still don't really know how I managed to take out the black one. I didn't clear it yet, but I agree its a good feeling that even with a mega optimized party I can go into a new mission and get rocked like that.

I also finally got to try out Alchemist Ray and yeah it's pretty good. I think I need to work on my build because she still didn't wow me but I can see why people rate it higher than Grenadier.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Nephthys posted:

I just tried out the mission a few times and wow, those new Destron enemies are hard as gently caress. I guess it makes sense given how crazy it's possible to make your drone but god drat were those things infuriating to try and fight. Even Sion was plinking away at them. I still don't really know how I managed to take out the black one. I didn't clear it yet, but I agree its a good feeling that even with a mega optimized party I can go into a new mission and get rocked like that.

I also finally got to try out Alchemist Ray and yeah it's pretty good. I think I need to work on my build because she still didn't wow me but I can see why people rate it higher than Grenadier.

Funnily enough, Grenadier is very very good for the new mission since she can bring in a lot of grenades to completely neuter the bots.

The only way I've managed to beat the black robot without shutting it down was by getting it to run out of fuel (it uses some for each responsive attack). I think it might be possible to take it down normally with a combination of Machine Hunter Heixing and a mix of Alisa, Bianca, Giselle and Sion wailing at it without any responsive fire builds involved.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

I'm just playing through this myself. My strat was to ball up the entire gang and sprint counter clockwise, with no one but the engineer lady stopping. Everyone else murders and moves onto the next terminal.

Also... I'm hitting level 23 ish and fighting the white tigers. When does the plot start? My lovable idiots mostly just respectfully flirt. Its pretty obvious that Albus' parents were troubleshooters. Other than that, I'm like loving twenty hours in and it definitely doesn't feel like this story is going anywhere? Am I good to just skip cutscenes and get back to the XCOM?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I mean, you're at the plot. The plot is the Spoonists and the White Tigers and the Alley gang. Albus may be the main character, but the story isn't really about him at all.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

The gangs story kinda wraps up but there is a lot of other plots that never resolve in season 1

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I have to agree with the sentiment that the plot is kind of there for a long time in a somewhat world-building way until it gets an actual arc later.

I have to say I am intensely curious over the latest violent case having 12 slots when we only have 11 characters in the company.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008
Im of the opinion the story of this game is great if a bit rocky at the start, especially with it constantly making you feel bad about the people/things you are beating up.

Kata-Haro
Oct 21, 2010

The game is also kinda bad about having plot beats happen in Violent missions sometimes. So if you're only plowing through the story missions, you'll wonder why we've moved onto another criminal organization when the last one you were fighting kinda just disappear for a while.

The biggest example is probably the Spoons who just vanish for a good portion of the mid-game. It just turns out in one of the early Violents that there was this whole bust operation that put their leadership away, including Sharky. There's also Starlight Junction Violent which is supposed to be this big showdown with the White Tigers which breaks the power of the gang and puts them in the lovely situation they're in during the last few chapters.

Kata-Haro fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Feb 11, 2021

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

Just now noticing that the new mission had drops that let us finally use sub whatever items on drones. Just gotta kill the black robot a few more times to unlock the last module and then my transporter will break 8k. I'm never gonna stop using engineer on Kylie.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I think I've finally gotten somewhat of a handle on clearing the new map consistently. I read up strats on the steam forums and the robots got a bit more manageable when I shelved my tricked-out boss weapons for some crafted ones built to penetrate Machine enemy armor. Still really tough and annoying though. Alisa was the MVP as ever, she's just so dang tanky and strong.

I also finished up my alchemist build and yeah being able to do so much extra damage consistently is pretty great. I never bothered with White Mage Anne either so I'm going to give that a shot to see if that's another great class I ignored.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

lil baby anime posted:

Just now noticing that the new mission had drops that let us finally use sub whatever items on drones. Just gotta kill the black robot a few more times to unlock the last module and then my transporter will break 8k. I'm never gonna stop using engineer on Kylie.

drat, that's a strong drone. Would you mind sharing its mastery board? I've barely tweaked mine because modules are so awkward to craft, which really puts a stop to experimentation.

Also TIL that you can bypass the defenses of Berserker robots with multi-hit attacks.

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

Nephthys posted:

I think I've finally gotten somewhat of a handle on clearing the new map consistently. I read up strats on the steam forums and the robots got a bit more manageable when I shelved my tricked-out boss weapons for some crafted ones built to penetrate Machine enemy armor. Still really tough and annoying though. Alisa was the MVP as ever, she's just so dang tanky and strong.

I also finished up my alchemist build and yeah being able to do so much extra damage consistently is pretty great. I never bothered with White Mage Anne either so I'm going to give that a shot to see if that's another great class I ignored.

White mage is extremely good at supporting everything around you. You can get some pretty high AT reduction too so she can get her turn back to heal or get another use of the responsive heal. I go to it every now and then when I get pissed off at witch but that's mostly because I can't make witch builds without witch's prank and I keep getting owned by wind chain at the worst possible moments.

ZearothK posted:

drat, that's a strong drone. Would you mind sharing its mastery board? I've barely tweaked mine because modules are so awkward to craft, which really puts a stop to experimentation.

Also TIL that you can bypass the defenses of Berserker robots with multi-hit attacks.

Just regular multi hit moves? Like tornado slash or cross slash? I noticed my berserk drones dying on the turn it triggered every now and then but I think that was usually do to responsive attacks. I added the auto dodge thing to one of them though so now I just need to see if it happens again.

Having to craft every module sucks. Especially when one of the ones that gets used as fodder happened to be one that required a rare drop from one of the bicron bosses or something and you weren't paying attention. I only think that happened to me once but once was enough.

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

Finally got the mastery. Sitting at 8k hp. Had to take off auto restoration but it’s not like I care about clearing debuffs especially since Kylie can make the drone immune to half of them anyway. Also added survival mode so I can steal hp from dead robots. Dunno if that will work on enemy ones but if this drone will be ridiculous if it does.

I also got another module that makes flamethrowers confuse on crit except that module already existed. The new one looks to have an extra condition and doesn’t seem to be a part of any sets. Costs 1 less point but it’s worse in every other way so I don’t see the point in them adding this

bofa salesman fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Feb 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

lil baby anime posted:

White mage is extremely good at supporting everything around you. You can get some pretty high AT reduction too so she can get her turn back to heal or get another use of the responsive heal. I go to it every now and then when I get pissed off at witch but that's mostly because I can't make witch builds without witch's prank and I keep getting owned by wind chain at the worst possible moments.

Yeah I also decided to switch it out after having the worst person possible get put to sleep by witch's prank yet again. I managed to get all the White Mage sets in the build as well as the Sand Castle and White Sandstorm sets, so she's a pretty good support character for sure. Responsive heal is definitely a game changer. Basically zero offense left which I definitely felt.

After playing the new map enough times now I honestly don't have much trouble with the Destrons anymore. The real problem is those bloody rangers. If they manage to ping an ESP character it seriously ruins their day. The silence I can handle but the increased cooldowns on all abilities really gently caress me up.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Feb 14, 2021