Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
I have a question.

Why is there so much 'consultation'? Everyone keeps contracting out rather than using their own staff. And bunging huge amounts of money. It's not even always the 'mates'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Bloodly posted:

I have a question.

Why is there so much 'consultation'? Everyone keeps contracting out rather than using their own staff. And bunging huge amounts of money. It's not even always the 'mates'.

Because saying 'privatisation' is impolite?

E.U. sure buggered things up by slinging Article 16 around with undue care.... politicians gonna politician. :chaostrump:

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Bloodly posted:

I have a question.

While consulting isn't perfect, with technical consultants (as opposed to the business ones who are often just cover for the management) they tend to be at least somewhat competent. Whereas it's not easy trying to build a competent technical team, especially without prior institutional knowledge or management experience with the sort of work.

fe: ^^^ I've been talking about the private sector, but yes that's another angle

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I wonder if there's ever a misunderstanding where a consultant gets hired as a bung but they show up having actually done the work and giving real advice.

Presumably they get fobbed off with the same lines as real input that doesn't align with existing policies, but it's funny to think of Lord Caractacus E. Gomire-Merangue's second son getting a bollocking because he wasn't supposed to actually show up with a folder full of passable research and recommendations.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
An old company I worked at paid McKinsey a million quid to do a report that got put in a drawer because the CEO didn’t like what it said but McKinsey insisted it was right and wouldn’t change it.

A lot of the drive behind using consultants/contractors in government is avoiding pensions. It doesn’t matter how eye-watering their day rate looks, it’s still a fraction of the cost of the pension liabilities for permanent staff in government.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

peanut- posted:

An old company I worked at paid McKinsey a million quid to do a report that got put in a drawer because the CEO didn’t like what it said but McKinsey insisted it was right and wouldn’t change it.

I've got a friend who does high level consultation work, and he says that this happens depressingly often. He writes reports to impprove (genuinly improve, not a euphmism for cut staff) things at companies and government places and they get sent away with a pat on the head and the report gets shoved into a drawer. This might be because when the reports do recommend cutting staff, they're recommending cutting the 'wrong' staff.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Kin posted:

So she was trying to simultaneity gain sympathy for her dad dying from covid and downplay the covid deaths by saying it wasn't because of covid?

I find someone potentially manipulating the death of a close family member for political gain pretty gross. I guess we just have different standards for what's acceptable.

I completely agree. Using the death of her father to gain sympathy is gross. That doesn’t need defending. It is worth exploring whether he died as a result of Covid or not, as it massively affects our judgment of her statements.

From searching it seems that he died of Covid, but it’s not clear. She was careful to make the distinction between dying with and dying of. That strikes me as odd. Even if he died of and not with (from some other cause) she is using his death to characterise Covid deaths in a certain way that is political.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Can I take a moment to talk about some really dumb local politics?

Bournemouth Christchurch and Poole managed to vote out the Tories from its council for the first time in, I dunno like 20 years (BCP Has only existed for a few but before that all 3 individual councils were tory as gently caress) and managed to install a 'Unity alliance' that was headed by the Lib dems in 2019. They had a slim majority over the tories as a whole of roughly 2, depending on which way various independents went.

Now last year during lockdown 2 members of the Council died who both supported the Lib dems leaving the majority gone. The Lib dems were still in charge of the council but they could do literally nothing of note, including organising new elections to replace said dead Councillors. Every attempt was blocked by the Tories under safety grounds because of Coronavirus. In June they tried a vote of no confidence which resulted in a tie and the Lib Dems survived by the Chairmans casting vote.

So why does this get really dumb? Well a plant pot brought the council down. As everywhere else in the UK, the government gave the council money and told them to do active travel schemes, which of course pissed off motorists and got a bunch of complaints in the paper. In the background you have the chaos of Bournemouth beach which we all saw on the news etc rumbling on too, but its the active travel schemes that brought them down. And one in particular.

This is the Whitecliff road entrance to Poole Park. Its important in that one side of the bridge belongs to a Parkstone councilors Ward, and the other belongs to a Poole councilors ward. You can see how narrow this bridge is and for years its been used as a rat run to avoid 2 busy junctions and the main road into Poole. Hellishly dangerous going through that as anything other than a car and there's accidents there constantly. It was blocked off and people who lived in the park and used said park for park like things loved it. There's a tiny diversion of about 300m to get around it by car, but crucially it takes you up to said busy junction and thus saves no real time. People in Parkstone annoyed, people in Poole happy, you see where this is going?

This is the story of how a planter brought down a council, and how its going to happen again.

4 months of constant news releases about how awful these are, councillors werent informed all that poo poo and we get to the 2nd vote of no confidence. Repeated attempts for local elections has been shut down so it rests on a knife edge and is expected to be a draw again. However all the Parkstone councilors vote aye this time, and the council is brought down and the Tories are installed back in. Again no elections, they've just summarily stolen control of a council they lost by refusing to let new elections take place. They have no majority and as such had to bargain choice council briefs with said lunatic local independents to support them and have to get rid of all these active travel schemes to keep said support.

So this all circles back to this lone planter at Poole Park. The removal has to follow a process of consultation and then a decision is made. After a 3 day period of the consultation which wasn't advertised anywhere as far as I can see outside of a single line on the councils website the consultation was widely in favour of removing it. Given that it was most likely only broadcast to friends of the council and notable Facebook groups its to be expected. Eventually it gets noticed by the local paper and a lot more people respond and the results are heavily in favour of keeping it in place. Massively in favour, nearly 70%.

Well the Transport Councillor just arbitrarily decides to ignore any response received after the paper published it for very flimsy reasons. Saying that the papers information was incorrect and as such people responded without knowing the full information and he pushes ahead with the removal which causes justifiable outrage and as of yesterday has ended up with the decision facing the scrutiny board where it will almost certainly get chucked out.

Without the removal of this planter the independent councilors won't vote with the Tories and it will bring down their coalition.

And thats the story of how a single plant pot brought down a council, and is in the process of doing it again. Local politics is really loving dumb.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
A Good Post, but this line:

serious gaylord posted:

This is the story of how a planter brought down a council, and how its going to happen again.

really needs a Nine Inch Nails track playing behind it.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Ms Adequate posted:

I wonder if there's ever a misunderstanding where a consultant gets hired as a bung but they show up having actually done the work and giving real advice.

It's not in real IRL but there is a very good episode of Better Call Saul that basically does that.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Guavanaut posted:

Don't forget that they released the documentation with the only interesting bits redacted.

Supposedly you can read the redacted bits due to the speed they put put a censored version.

https://twitter.com/spignal/status/1355164002138152961?s=19

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Either that or the arrested development theme tune. Great post.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

kustomkarkommando posted:

Seems like the invoking of Article 16 was a whoopsie by whoever drafted the regulation on export controls apparently not fully checking on the full political ramifications and some hasty phone calls from Ireland has resulted in a reverse course on extending the restrictions to include NI

https://twitter.com/ShonaMurray_/status/1355265895078227974

https://twitter.com/MichealMartinTD/status/1355288869726515200

they've really shown their collective arse imo. A lot of people in NI are familiar with the consequences of that - you can't just go emperor palpatine with Article 16 the first time you don't get what you want

It really does show up how hosed of a situation it is for a country to have basically conceded part of its territory to a foreign entity though :laugh:

poo poo's completely untenable

crispix fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Jan 30, 2021

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
god do i love local politics :allears:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
i'm with the planter

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Why do the baddies want the planter removed in the first place

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Interesting / depressing how the Guardian is covering the Game stop Reddit story exclusively with opinion pieces condemning the reddit investors and supporting the hedge funds. I wonder if this is to avoid 'undermining and the financial integrity of the UK'.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

The Question IRL posted:

Supposedly you can read the redacted bits due to the speed they put put a censored version.

https://twitter.com/spignal/status/1355164002138152961?s=19

no wonder the russian military have switched back to old fashion typewriters

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Also how does the planter relate to the bridge?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

The Perfect Element posted:

Interesting / depressing how the Guardian is covering the Game stop Reddit story exclusively with opinion pieces condemning the reddit investors and supporting the hedge funds. I wonder if this is to avoid 'undermining and the financial integrity of the UK'.
Guardian fully cemented as more reactionary than the FT.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
cousin of mine in 1995 drove a van for a company here called mawhinney's that sold sausages and it had a big fibreglass sausage on the roof and he tore it clean off going through a bridge like that. said he forgot he was in the van

he's been on the buses about 10 years now and one day he drove the thing up a tiny back street because he forgot he was at work. had to reverse it back a long way

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Maugrim posted:

It's a bloody war on motorists innit? I might get inconvenienced by a few minutes just to make the local environment more engaging and safe and nicer to use. It's an outrage :argh:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Maugrim posted:

I read in a textbook that plants have sex nowadays. Is that the kind of thing we want on our historic byways? Next thing you know people'll be ramming big fibreglass sausages down sidestreets and all sorts. It's disgusting.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

This is the story of how a group of people tried to make the world a better place with a planter. They thought that the planter would unite everyone against those who had held power for decades.

But it was a fantasy.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Maugrim posted:

It's Lib Dems Vs Tories, both sides are the baddies.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Suddenly both sides wanted atrocity, but one wanted it with plants.

Oh dear.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

crispix posted:

he's been on the buses about 10 years now and one day he drove the thing up a tiny back street because he forgot he was at work. had to reverse it back a long way

Where did he think he was driving to?

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

This is the story of how a group of people tried to make the world a better place with a planter. They thought that the planter would unite everyone against those who had held power for decades.

But it was a fantasy.

Adam Curtitchmarsh

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

serious gaylord posted:

Can I take a moment to talk about some really dumb local politics?

Bournemouth Christchurch and Poole managed to vote out the Tories from its council for the first time in, I dunno like 20 years (BCP Has only existed for a few but before that all 3 individual councils were tory as gently caress) and managed to install a 'Unity alliance' that was headed by the Lib dems in 2019. They had a slim majority over the tories as a whole of roughly 2, depending on which way various independents went.

Now last year during lockdown 2 members of the Council died who both supported the Lib dems leaving the majority gone. The Lib dems were still in charge of the council but they could do literally nothing of note, including organising new elections to replace said dead Councillors. Every attempt was blocked by the Tories under safety grounds because of Coronavirus. In June they tried a vote of no confidence which resulted in a tie and the Lib Dems survived by the Chairmans casting vote.

So why does this get really dumb? Well a plant pot brought the council down. As everywhere else in the UK, the government gave the council money and told them to do active travel schemes, which of course pissed off motorists and got a bunch of complaints in the paper. In the background you have the chaos of Bournemouth beach which we all saw on the news etc rumbling on too, but its the active travel schemes that brought them down. And one in particular.

This is the Whitecliff road entrance to Poole Park. Its important in that one side of the bridge belongs to a Parkstone councilors Ward, and the other belongs to a Poole councilors ward. You can see how narrow this bridge is and for years its been used as a rat run to avoid 2 busy junctions and the main road into Poole. Hellishly dangerous going through that as anything other than a car and there's accidents there constantly. It was blocked off and people who lived in the park and used said park for park like things loved it. There's a tiny diversion of about 300m to get around it by car, but crucially it takes you up to said busy junction and thus saves no real time. People in Parkstone annoyed, people in Poole happy, you see where this is going?

4 months of constant news releases about how awful these are, councillors werent informed all that poo poo and we get to the 2nd vote of no confidence. Repeated attempts for local elections has been shut down so it rests on a knife edge and is expected to be a draw again. However all the Parkstone councilors vote aye this time, and the council is brought down and the Tories are installed back in. Again no elections, they've just summarily stolen control of a council they lost by refusing to let new elections take place. They have no majority and as such had to bargain choice council briefs with said lunatic local independents to support them and have to get rid of all these active travel schemes to keep said support.

So this all circles back to this lone planter at Poole Park. The removal has to follow a process of consultation and then a decision is made. After a 3 day period of the consultation which wasn't advertised anywhere as far as I can see outside of a single line on the councils website the consultation was widely in favour of removing it. Given that it was most likely only broadcast to friends of the council and notable Facebook groups its to be expected. Eventually it gets noticed by the local paper and a lot more people respond and the results are heavily in favour of keeping it in place. Massively in favour, nearly 70%.

Well the Transport Councillor just arbitrarily decides to ignore any response received after the paper published it for very flimsy reasons. Saying that the papers information was incorrect and as such people responded without knowing the full information and he pushes ahead with the removal which causes justifiable outrage and as of yesterday has ended up with the decision facing the scrutiny board where it will almost certainly get chucked out.

Without the removal of this planter the independent councilors won't vote with the Tories and it will bring down their coalition.

And thats the story of how a single plant pot brought down a council, and is in the process of doing it again. Local politics is really loving dumb.

This is a great post. Also I immediately recognised that bridge despite only having driven through that route maybe two or three times :v:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

sebzilla posted:

it cuts through the middle of town and is the quickest route to get onto the main road for Belfast, where he was going. Also my auntie (his mother-in-law) and his mum live further down that street so that may have been a factor

https://goo.gl/maps/yHfGwxqyp4n1G1Z77

he was meant to turn left there but went straight ahead, in a double decker bus

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

The Perfect Element posted:

Yes I read that last night.
Most of the comments under it were good though.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Maugrim posted:

I mean the Tories actually don't. Fundamentally its a good idea and has made Poole park a better, safer place for everyone. But they want control of the council, and the Active travel schemes was a way of inflaming issues and taking advantage of it. You've probably seen this argument used all over the country, 'War on the motorist. Active travel schemes causing traffic chaos' etc. Like the one in Kensington which they tore out on the premise of it causing traffic gridlock, and after its removal journey times increased because people were just parking where the bike lane previously was and narrowing the road.

Its a handy stick to beat against incumbent councillors, same as saying why they're spending money on bike lanes instead of fixing 'x y z' about the town while knowing full well the money came from central government and can only be used on this.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Also how does the planter relate to the bridge?

The bridge crossing is very very dangerous as cars come to it blind. From the direction the rat runners come from they cant see whats in the tunnel before they enter it, usually at 30mph. You can guess the results.

Blocking the bridge tunnel adds a 300m detour to everyones journey which is miniscule vs the potential lives saved. But as I said, prevents it being used as the rat run for half of Parkstone/Sandbanks/Canford Cliffs getting into Poole.

Being serious for a moment, the Unity Alliance council was doomed from the start since it had to get utter loons to agree with other loons throughout the borough. It was just nice to have smashed the Tories faces in somewhere vs what happened everywhere else in 2019.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

sebzilla posted:

Apparently this is A Thing, I forget the actual name of the phenomenon but I remember watching a documentary about it (or rather about the various ways the brain gets confused when doing repetitive tasks - the main thrust was about the use of checklists by pilots to prevent it), and they specifically mentioned the phenomenon of bus drivers starting to drive home or taking a direct route between stops instead of driving the route.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
i've had it myself where i've driven somewhere i go to a lot, and i only really sort of... come back to myself either if something untoward happens in traffic or when i reach the car park or whatever, and have no memory of a big chunk of the journey

by something untoward i mean like... having to slow down or stop for some reason, nothing catastrophic

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

crispix posted:

cousin of mine in 1995 drove a van for a company here called mawhinney's that sold sausages and it had a big fibreglass sausage on the roof and he tore it clean off going through a bridge like that. said he forgot he was in the van

On the Buses - ah takes me back.... the sort of thing that was considered funny when I were a lassie. Mostly very sexist but IIRC there was racism in there too. You know, "harmless fun" racism - "Love thy Neighbour" stuff.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
i 'ate yoooooou buuuuuuuutlaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!!!!!!! :bahgawd:

i think there are still reruns on one of those channels

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

On the Buses - ah takes me back.... the sort of thing that was considered funny when I were a lassie. Mostly very sexist but IIRC there was racism in there too. You know, "harmless fun" racism - "Love thy Neighbour" stuff.

Reg Varney officially opened the first ATM in the world (at the Enfield branch of Barclays), which is one of my favourite ever bits of trivia (along with the fact the ATM worked by dispensing a note if you put in a voucher which you had to buy in the bank, which is sort of missing the point if you ask me).

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
the comedy of mrs brown's boys is actually not much different from that show lol

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

crispix posted:

the comedy of mrs brown's boys is actually not much different from that show lol

In what way? I mean other than "lowest common denominator, hated by critics but loved by a significant proportion of the population"? I've not watched a lot of Mrs Brown's Boys but I'm fairly sure none of the cast goes "Phwoooar" at a female bus conductor, or for that matter anyone in On The Buses had protracted cross-purpose arguments which is about half of the content of an MBB episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

serious gaylord posted:

You've probably seen this argument used all over the country, 'War on the motorist. Active travel schemes causing traffic chaos' etc. Like the one in Kensington which they tore out on the premise of it causing traffic gridlock, and after its removal journey times increased because people were just parking where the bike lane previously was and narrowing the road.

Kensington and Chelsea Council just hates anything and everything that isn't a 4wd vehicle. There are some absolutely lethal junctions, including one right by a bridge over the Thames (battersea Bridge north side iirc) , because they refuse to put in a proper pedestrian crossing so you're left trying to guess which of the lanes of traffic is going to stop and get to the middle of the road before the next lane turns left and runs you over.

They've been doing this poo poo for years.