Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

juggalo baby coffin posted:

the fans are always talking about all of CIG's Proprietary Tech & Engine Upgrades, but what exactly are they? so far everything seems to be either some weird proprietary software they slotted in (speedtree level stuff) or some type of nightmarish kludge ("we increased the map size cryengine supports by just making the players really, really small")

The Trello board knock off
A water melon that breaks the engine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
christ this reminds me of when the single loving idiot failson at EA was like "hey hey I played this game, uh, this game like, on AOL? or prodigy or something called gemstone 3~ (they have THREE loving VERSIONS OF IT and and a thing called DRAGONREALMS it must be so good) and they are making this NEW and GREAT and AMAZING engine, its called HERO the loving HERO ENGINE and its gonna be the biggest loving thing in games, in MMOs ever and we need it, lemme cut you a check for like $15m right now and some other undisclosed amount 2 weeks later and then even some more later on because its loving AMAZING GUYS because I saw a loving 10 minute demo of some video and I was like WOOOOAAAAAAHHHHH and obviously I know a lot because I am a tech guru and its 2006 and boy oh boy WE CAN'T loving LOSE WITH THIS poo poo, ITS GONNA BE STAR WARS AND HEROES AND ENGINES AND YES gently caress YES"

boy that didn't loving work out, did it you fuckin dumbo

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I can't wait until Star Citizen has cost more than the space program and meanwhile the Mormons are halfway to Tau Ceti for half the cost.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/TmmzETB.mp4

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

TheAgent posted:

christ this reminds me of when the single loving idiot failson at EA was like "hey hey I played this game, uh, this game like, on AOL? or prodigy or something called gemstone 3~ (they have THREE loving VERSIONS OF IT and and a thing called DRAGONREALMS it must be so good) and they are making this NEW and GREAT and AMAZING engine, its called HERO the loving HERO ENGINE and its gonna be the biggest loving thing in games, in MMOs ever and we need it, lemme cut you a check for like $15m right now and some other undisclosed amount 2 weeks later and then even some more later on because its loving AMAZING GUYS because I saw a loving 10 minute demo of some video and I was like WOOOOAAAAAAHHHHH and obviously I know a lot because I am a tech guru and its 2006 and boy oh boy WE CAN'T loving LOSE WITH THIS poo poo, ITS GONNA BE STAR WARS AND HEROES AND ENGINES AND YES gently caress YES"

boy that didn't loving work out, did it you fuckin dumbo

:stare:

I might need a little more of that unpacked.

tacit
Aug 1, 2002

From a comment on another forum

quote:

I have kind of a unique view of Amazon Game Studios: I have good friends (former coworkers) who were working on Crucible for years, and I personally was involved with Intensity and another project (Sculpin) as an art outsource contracting manager (I ran the art team tasks day-to-day and was the US point of contact for the Amazon team). We all lived the stupidity that was Lumberyard, in various ways.

. . .

If you're going to fork an engine, fork a good one. Don't fork the one that was good a few times for a while, years back, and then went bankrupt because it was a pain in the rear end to use. Especially don't fork it and then burn all your dev budget and schedule bolting stuff to it that is actually meant to sell your parent corps' cloud services, instead of making a game.

Lumberyard is junk. It's an old Cryengine build that's missing basic features, like artists assembling materials without breaking open HLSL, but hey - it can live stream on Twitch, and scale microtransactions, and pipe your studio gobs of data about your players with everything down to their shoe size! None of it actually helps a team make a better game; lots of it actually gets in the way. It's literally a Steve Buscemi "how do you do fellow game developers" meme in the form of a CryEngine fork. The sample content is embarassingly bad, the documentation is terrible, the tools are broken, and when we HAD to finally raise some of those issues to Amazon - and we used other engines that work that start with "U" in comparison - they actually cut us off mid sentence and said "we're not allowed to mention those at all here. We can't even reference them internally or install them to compare stuff. The lawyers get involved." It was almost Kafka-esque.

I had to do a double take that it wasn't a CIG employee for a second, but it seems the awfulness of CryEngine has claimed even more victims . . .

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Dwesa posted:

:lol:
There was always a 10 year launch plan. Oceania had always been at war with Eastasia.

Unearth the Chris quote about the whole thing being stale if it takes more than three years.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Torquemada posted:

Unearth the Chris quote about the whole thing being stale if it takes more than three years.

source

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Jan 30, 2021

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
For all this time and work and money...

Star Citizen sure is a tiny game.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Sarsapariller posted:

They'll make it a dedicated second seat that doesn't do anything, and slap a TBD on it

A second, seat isn't that a sore point after the missing seat?

To be fair, I'm sure Ben is currently looking into it.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

TheAgent posted:

just a reminder that tony "dagod" z hasn't released a loving game since 1995

like some other games, crusader got known for some cool graphics and interesting FMV but absolutely garbage gameplay (although I guess it was kinda ok for teenage me not knowing anything better because I was loving absolutely stupid)

man it brings back memories. its my bday weekend extraveganza so I may have been drinking but Crusader was like "HOLY poo poo this is awesome WE ARE ON MARS wow this is A REAL PERSON TALKING TO ME IN A GAME" and then you get to the 3rd person isometric gameplay that somehow was worse than any other game I've played and it was still cool because you were like a red dude in some cool armor and you shot poo poo everywhere

the guy in charge of a MMO that is supposed to contain 1,000s of players in a SINGLE loving INSTANCE barely was able to release a 3rd person isometric action game with some lovely FMV sequences 25 years ago and holy poo poo I just realized it was running off the same engine loving FALLOUT USED HOLY gently caress

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUnvNTvHMnQ

I actually thought this couldn't possibly be true. But yes, he doesn't have a single credit since 1996 on the Crusader sequel. Since then all he did was help Chris fail at Digital Anvil and then transition to legal and financial software.
Definitely the kind of guy that should be at the top of the company.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
hey not related to aynthing that was posted recently.

just want to wish colonelwest good luck with the upcoming youtube thing.
i think you are all very entertaining assholes, so what could possibly go wrong?

will be watching from deh europe

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
I still can't believe it's 2021

https://v.redd.it/epl8yhln5de61/DASH_480.mp4

Henry Scorpio
Mar 20, 2006

Maybe it just collapsed on its own?

TheAgent posted:

like some other games, crusader got known for some cool graphics and interesting FMV but absolutely garbage gameplay (although I guess it was kinda ok for teenage me not knowing anything better because I was loving absolutely stupid)

man it brings back memories. its my bday weekend extraveganza so I may have been drinking but Crusader was like "HOLY poo poo this is awesome WE ARE ON MARS wow this is A REAL PERSON TALKING TO ME IN A GAME" and then you get to the 3rd person isometric gameplay that somehow was worse than any other game I've played and it was still cool because you were like a red dude in some cool armor and you shot poo poo everywhere

the guy in charge of a MMO that is supposed to contain 1,000s of players in a SINGLE loving INSTANCE barely was able to release a 3rd person isometric action game with some lovely FMV sequences 25 years ago and holy poo poo I just realized it was running off the same engine loving FALLOUT USED HOLY gently caress

I have really fond memories of this game, but I think it was because my parents had forbidden me from playing it and it was one of the first SVGA games I played. And the fact that weapon misses affected the environment was pretty novel at the time. Hilarious that this guy put his name on the game like he’s Sid Meier.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Bootcha posted:

:stare:

I might need a little more of that unpacked.
Simutronics, makers of Gemstone 3 and DragonRealms (two very popular MUDs on AOL and Prodigy) made a 3d engine that was going to revolutionize MMO games. The head of tech at EA watched a preview video at E3 and was hooked, and within a week shoved $15 million at Simutronics to license their Hero Engine for their upcoming Star Wars MMO, The Old Republic.

The engine wasn't even near ready for release, though. Developers had to create dozens of workarounds, code new lighting, texture and physics into the engine; among a million other things. It was a notoriously dumb move that cost EA tens of millions of dollars and several years of dev time.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT
Chris Roberts is going to blame Amazon when this whole thing goes tits up.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Henry Scorpio posted:

I have really fond memories of this game, but I think it was because my parents had forbidden me from playing it and it was one of the first SVGA games I played. And the fact that weapon misses affected the environment was pretty novel at the time. Hilarious that this guy put his name on the game like he’s Sid Meier.

I remember actually liking it as well. Mostly for the gruesome ways you could kill people.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

TheAgent posted:

This was something of the heyday of Origin it felt where they started to shine bright while simultaneously starting to decline for some reason, before that big push into 3D with their common IPs which ultimately totally did them in it seemed.

Not sure if this used the Fallout engine, I think those were different things. But this did share a couple of Crusader games and Ultima 8, which was panned as being the worst Ultima ever until 9 came out in 3D.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/1355249030369058816
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/1355302023109992450
https://twitter.com/NemesisYor/status/1355250438531018752
https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/1355414353051332609

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

tacit posted:

I had to do a double take that it wasn't a CIG employee for a second, but it seems the awfulness of CryEngine has claimed even more victims . . .

As far as engines go, if you're not going to roll your own for your project, you may as well license Unreal. It's super easy to work with, super powerful, has great support, enough tutorials that you can make a game with it just form YouTube alone, and so long as you know something about programming you can actually make it fairly performant. It's very friendly in the tools of offers to help you make it that way also, even doing a lot of it for you if you just know where to press some button.

Runner up would be Unity I think, but that's open to opinion there.

Something like CryEngine is just gone, and if you chose it you're going to be blown away. The longer you take with it the faster you're going to be lapped even by Unity features and looks.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

TheAgent posted:

I loved the Crusader games, but enjoyed them because of the game and nothing to do with who made it

I don't really understand why people latch onto the developer of a game and create this holy religion around them

The closest I could come is the aforementioned Sid Meier, who made so many of the games I loved in my childhood.... Civ, Colonization, Pirates!, pretty much everything Microprose put out was a hit for me, Gunship, F19 Stealth...

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

tacit posted:

That sounds very much like something Amazon would do. Interesting, either way

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Yikeseroo.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Bootcha posted:

For all this time and work and money...

Star Citizen sure is a tiny game.

When I played it some time ago, it felt like a walking simulator with some survival mechanics. The space game part felt sort of tacked on like a completely different game to the walking simulator side.

The levels were way too large but what it boiled down to was a few computer screens were interactive and I could talk to a couple of NPCs.

When you shove it in an oven to cook out what you can do, it probably is a pretty small list.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Strangler 42 posted:

Chris Roberts is going to blame Amazon when this whole thing goes tits up.

Not just Amazon, but technology and the internet itself for not being up to his standards for his great vision. :smuggo:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

If you're using any means of communication other than what's included in Star Citizen then that's basically cheating posted:

The reasons why using anything other than using SC communication is cheating is simple to understand. There are many events within the game that would hinder or even prevent communicating with anyone, let alone team mates:

1. If your ships communication gear is damaged.
2. If your spacesuit's communication gear is damaged.
3. If you're injured to the point of being unconscious.
4. If you're dead! Yup - the most obvious reason and No there is no ghostly communication in the game. No mediums!
5. Being in an area that could hinder or even prevent communications ( caves, buildings, electrical storms, etcetera).
6. Or just having cheap gear ( does drake make communication equipment? ). And I'm a drake owner to don't hold making fun of Drake against me :slightly_smiling:face:

Do I expect some to ignore this and use discord, teamspeak, etcetera? Well to some, their concept of winning no matter what will sadly override the intentions of Star Citizen gameplay. This will unfortunately put those of us who'll adhere to using only what SC provides at a disadvantage. I suspect that this will mostly be a problem with the younger players and not the more mature - although I've certainly come across those who. even though they're older. are definitely not mature.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Citizen just can't help being extremely cringey.

Is Tony Z the new Chris Roberts?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

I mean that is a pretty clever last wish — you'd be able to claim cruel and unusual punishment and get a stay of the actual execution, and maybe be let free entirely on humanitarian grounds.

dieselfruit
Feb 21, 2013

colonelwest posted:

:siren:Monthly Star Citizen Themed Goon Live Stream: Update:siren:

Thanks for all of the hilarious naming suggestions, I decided to call it "The Wring Commanders", which came from dieselfruit, to avoid making it too much of a deep cut. But, I'll be using some of the other suggestions for episode titles.

Our first episode will be next Sunday 07 February at 2pm EST. Saturday 06 February at 2pm EST. The first lineup will be Beet Wagon, Bootcha and me.

To start I'll just be streaming to Youtube via this channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjSathRKrZFxNeDZQ0EJxsg/featured

Reminder: you all are welcome as guests in the future, just hit me up on Discord under the same username.

Honoured & blessed to have contributed to this project, and will graciously accept my royalties in the form of fractional shares of an Idris

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

The posters in the back are a nice touch

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

!raffle

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

https://twitter.com/pizad_sura/status/1354830868875862016

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

good catte

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I feel this might be a decently common question, but it wasn't asked in at least the last three pages.

I gave Chris Roberts 35$ in 2012 to produce something like wing commander, it is now 2021 and I basically completely forgot about this game after it started appearing that poo poo was going way off the rails. What currently is the state of this train wreck, and has my money been well spent by him to produce such a thing or is it still pre-alpha stuff?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Defenestrategy posted:

I feel this might be a decently common question, but it wasn't asked in at least the last three pages.

I gave Chris Roberts 35$ in 2012 to produce something like wing commander, it is now 2021 and I basically completely forgot about this game after it started appearing that poo poo was going way off the rails. What currently is the state of this train wreck, and has my money been well spent by him to produce such a thing or is it still pre-alpha stuff?

Elevator panels got their long anticipated update so I'd say your money was well spent

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

What social media button do I push if I have been following this for 8 years and still don't know what Tony Z has actually accomplished in that time?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Defenestrategy posted:

Install it and try it yourself if you are actually curious. You are asking a thread of die hard critics about their opinion of the game so the only answer you'll get back is a page of "it sucks." Unless that is what you want?

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Defenestrategy posted:

it sucks

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Has anyone said Shart Shitizen recently?

Seriously though, how much longer can this thing drag out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Defenestrategy posted:

As much as anything else money has been going to fundraising. It's an endless cycle where they never are satisfied they have enough money, so they concentrate money on fundraising.... necessitating yet more money. So they keep adding (sorta! Lol) new ships to the game to sell while older ships and basic game mechanics languish in obscurity.

The game definitely qualifies as pre alpha given the lack of basic important technology such as server meshing and engine features to support years-old mechanics like the Hull series and docking. About the only signs of light at the end of the tunnel are more realistic recent assessments of how the game will actually need to work like soloing events off into their own servers ala dungeons.

Bear in mind thats just about the MMO. As far as the wing-commander game that was promised lmfao. They just keep lying about it, noone knows what the deal is there.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jan 31, 2021