Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
If the desire to boot Lewis from Mayor is thinking he is a poo poo mayor who doesn't deserve it, that is actually to kind to him because it frees him from the self inflicted hell of having to collect your goods for shipping every day.

"Watch out for the rusty cowboy spurs mixed in with the mayonnaise and the aged wines"
"Why didn't you put this in a museum!"
"Already did, and also turned one into a cowboy poncho." (man, I should get around to that)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

RCarr posted:

The amount of times Il'e accidentally gifted something to someone is becoming overwhelming

Keep your sword in slot 1 and have it selected at all times. That way you can't accidentally give someone an expensive gift that they hate, and you won't waste precious energy using the axe/pick/can/hoe.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

webmeister posted:

Keep your sword in slot 1 and have it selected at all times. That way you can't accidentally give someone an expensive gift that they hate, and you won't waste precious energy using the axe/pick/can/hoe.

This works but I usually use the scythe as I keep on putting my guard up instead of doing whatever I wanted to do.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Fair enough! I rarely get the scythe out of my toolchest unless I need it specifically for hay/weeds/harvesting.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

What's the best way to get a dried starfish? I need one for my octopus fish pond. I've spent the last 4 game days fishing in the ocean with a treasure hunter lure and no luck yet.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

WarpedNaba posted:

I'm still trying to get a Prismatic shared on Autumn year 2 - got the goddamn volcano freebie first.

You can buy omni geodes for 300g from Krobus on Tuesday’s. If you’re on mobile you can leave the shop and talk to him again to he restocks. I zoned out and bought 250 and got my first prismatic within 90.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

LLSix posted:

What's the best way to get a dried starfish? I need one for my octopus fish pond. I've spent the last 4 game days fishing in the ocean with a treasure hunter lure and no luck yet.

I get a bunch from digging up spots on the beach.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Finally got my first Prismatic Shard in winter year 2. Trying to figure the best option for it:
- a) Galaxy Sword (I haven't gone beyond level 1 of the Skull Caverns yet)
- b) Abandoned JojaMart bundle (it's the last thing I need)
- c) Donate it to the museum (I've still got about 15 artifacts to go, and a handful of minerals)

I'm nearly maxed out with everyone so I don't need to gift it, and my pale ale brewery + ancient fruit greenhouse nets me about 75k per day (currently sitting on about 1.1m gold and likely about to reinvest that into buying materials for jars and kegs).

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

webmeister posted:

Finally got my first Prismatic Shard in winter year 2. Trying to figure the best option for it:
- c) Donate it to the museum (I've still got about 15 artifacts to go, and a handful of minerals)

I'm nearly maxed out with everyone so I don't need to gift it, and my pale ale brewery + ancient fruit greenhouse nets me about 75k per day (currently sitting on about 1.1m gold and likely about to reinvest that into buying materials for jars and kegs).

Galaxy sword b/c it will be useful far longer than the movie theater and the museum

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Sword is the optimal play, it'll let you get deeper into the caverns which'll help you get another shard. My heart says missing bundle though. Combat sucks in this game and the movie theater is fun.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Yeah, Galaxy Sword is gonna be a huge step up in power compared to whatever weapon you're currently using. The Theater is cute and all, but not particularly practical or useful, and completing the Museum is even less so.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Plus, you can skip on one of the things for the theatre bundle. Unless you're on, like, Spring and didn't have any Sturgeon handy you should be fine.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Gaius Marius posted:

Sword is the optimal play, it'll let you get deeper into the caverns which'll help you get another shard. My heart says missing bundle though. Combat sucks in this game and the movie theater is fun.

I always feel so sad for the poor Junimo who got left behind. Poor little guy.

it's me, I'm the sap

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

webmeister posted:

Jojamart only needs 5 out of 6 so it can't be the last thing you need for it?

Galaxy Sword helps you skull cave which helps to get another is my read.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Arrgytehpirate posted:

You can buy omni geodes for 300g from Krobus on Tuesday’s. If you’re on mobile you can leave the shop and talk to him again to he restocks. I zoned out and bought 250 and got my first prismatic within 90.

The geode results are deterministic. Once I learned that it felt dumb to try to "roll" on omnis and I feel compelled to check the predictor now.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
I just roll whatever until I get about 2/3rd of the museum done. After that predictor all the way. Screw crushing countless geodes and miss out because you did the wrong type at the wrong step.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

The best part of the galaxy sword is that once you unlock it you can buy a galaxy hammer.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

WarpedNaba posted:

Plus, you can skip on one of the things for the theatre bundle. Unless you're on, like, Spring and didn't have any Sturgeon handy you should be fine.

Tylana posted:

Jojamart only needs 5 out of 6 so it can't be the last thing you need for it?

Galaxy Sword helps you skull cave which helps to get another is my read.

I don't have any dinosaurs either, so no dino mayo. It's that or a prismatic shard, since I've already put in 5x gold Ancient Fruit, 1x silver wine, caviar and a void salmon.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
So I feel like I'm spinning my wheels a bit, but I know there's lots more stuff to do.

Where things stand as I near the end of summer, year 2:
-deluxe barn and coop both filled with every animal type Marnie sells. Autograbber in the barn. Full silo.
-greenhouse is finished. I'm slowly filling it with ancient fruit plants (planning to put the first several fruits through any seed maker). Also planted one of each fruit tree along the back wall.
-most of my field is covered by irridium and quality sprinklers. I'm buying an irridium sprinkler from Krobus every Friday and buying irridium bars as they appear at the cart merchant.
-got to floor 120 of the mine. Been going back occasionally for gold ore, rocks, and coal.
-visited the desert once. Skull cave seems pretty rough.

Lately I've been upgrading to a big shed and rearranging my kegs, jars, and egg/mayo machines. I think now that the big shed is done I should add more kegs (I have 8 now). I have 18 jars and a few mayo/egg machines, just enough to use my daily milk and eggs.

I'm just waiting for fall to roll around to finish the community center with a few fall-only things.

So.... is there something big I should be working toward or should I continue focusing on making my farm more efficient? It feels like things really slowed down after I got to floor 120. That was my big project I was whittling away at.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Honey can make mad money. Especially considering how little effort it takes. 26k once a week from one tiny little part of my farm.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Wildtortilla posted:

So.... is there something big I should be working toward or should I continue focusing on making my farm more efficient? It feels like things really slowed down after I got to floor 120. That was my big project I was whittling away at.

You have your evaluation coming up, so work on getting mad money, upgrading your house to at least nursery level, and maximizing your relationship with everyone prior to that happening so you can get your free daily iridium and also unlock your additional expensive shops.

Then you can work towards community upgrade projects with Robin, repairing the boat so you can visit the new map, or picking up monthly/weekly tasks off the community board. Although that all requires finishing the community center first I think.

Getting a horse and a coffee system going so you can speed around everywhere might be a good short term goal while you wait for the fall stuff

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jan 30, 2021

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Cool. I'll work on handing out gifts (daily irridium!?) and start house upgrade 2 now.

I have a coffee system set up! I have about 1300 coffee beans piled up in my shed. I'm balancing making coffee with making beer.

I'm pretty consistently pulling in 20k/day between jars and dairy products. Honey days are nice when they happen too.

What's the best coal source? That seems to be a limiting factor in much of what I want to do. I have two furnaces that I try to utilize as much as possible. It's not very fast though. It seems like those coal critters in the mine are the best option for coal?

Edit: oh God the next house upgrade is 150 hardwood. This is going to take awhile to gather that amount.

Wildtortilla fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jan 30, 2021

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Yep. Just hop the elevator between floors 45->55->65->0->repeat. There's also a super awesome reward for killing 500 dust sprites that makes the coal pile up even faster.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
How is your mahogany forest going? But yeah its ten hardwood a day from the ancient woods so at least 15 days to get enough if you visit daily. And you will need a lot more than that for stuff that comes up later so definitely start a mahogany forest when you can, especially for the community board jobs that require you to gather a ton of hardwood in a short amount of time

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I don't have a mahogany forest. This is a new thing to me. I'll have to figure out how to get one growing.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

webmeister posted:

I don't have any dinosaurs either, so no dino mayo. It's that or a prismatic shard, since I've already put in 5x gold Ancient Fruit, 1x silver wine, caviar and a void salmon.

Get the galaxy sword to help with the skull mine then, there are enemies in there that can drop dino eggs to make the mayonnaise with.

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

Wildtortilla posted:

I don't have a mahogany forest. This is a new thing to me. I'll have to figure out how to get one growing.

That's a 1.5 thing. They're forgetting you're playing the switch version that doesn't have that yet.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Wildtortilla posted:

Cool. I'll work on handing out gifts (daily iridium!?) and start house upgrade 2 now.

I have a coffee system set up! I have about 1300 coffee beans piled up in my shed. I'm balancing making coffee with making beer.
Just brew as much as you can every 2 hours and you'll be done with your entire stock in a day.

Wildtortilla posted:

If you cut down stumps from the secret woods you'll eventually get a mahogany seed that you can plant on the farm and start growing hard wood trees.

Ed: Oh. Well now you know where you can find them.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I picked the forest farm so thankfully I’ve never had a problem with hardwood since you can get 16 per day, just on the farm.

I guess you could always switch professions to get the hardwood faster. Never tried the logging ones, but the first gives you 25% extra wood and the last one gives every tree a chance for hardwood.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I think I am going to make more use of switching professions on my next run. In late-game it's not cost-prohibitive at all, so I might as well start with things that help out early game (more wood, hardwood from trees, easier crab pots) but lose viability later on.

I wonder if new content makes Desperado more useful - by the time I had it before, a crit would pretty much kill stuff anyway, so it was better to just deal more damage on every strike.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Once you get the hardwood for your house don't stop collecting it. You still need a bunch for the stable and once 1.5 comes out on switch your gonna need a ton of it for stuff related to that.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

The problem with desperado is that it's not a flat increase to the crit chance, it's a percentage increase to the preexisting percentage increase, so it feels pretty weak comparatively imo

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

ILL Machina posted:

The problem with desperado is that it's not a flat increase to the crit chance, it's a percentage increase to the preexisting percentage increase, so it feels pretty weak comparatively imo

You're thinking of Scout. Desperado increases your crit damage by multiplying the formula by 2x.

Crit chance is a very lackluster stat unless you go all in. You can reach 25%+ with the volcano forge and aquamarine rings.

It's really a question of steady damage vs. the chance at burst.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Oh, so I was.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Np, but I think with the 1.5 changes it might be worth it. I will give it a shot once it comes out on console.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

So I've got to the point in my game where I've unlocked the Skull Cavern what's the best way to get deeper into it I find I rarely get more than about 10 levels deep normally?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Ferrosol posted:

So I've got to the point in my game where I've unlocked the Skull Cavern what's the best way to get deeper into it I find I rarely get more than about 10 levels deep normally?

From a couple pages ago...

Eric the Mauve posted:

For the skull cavern you need:

* A max luck day (this is not optional)
* Lots and lots of (preferably mega) bombs (like 50 minimum)
* A LOT of sashimi (like at least 30 but preferably 50)
* A big stack of crafted stairs (again, at least ~20 but 30 or 40 is better, which means 2000-4000 stone to craft them)
* A Warm Totem:Farm to quickly get home at 1:30 AM

You also really should have the Galaxy Sword, fighting off the hordes of serpents/bats is pretty painful with just the obsidian edge.

You should almost never be using your pickaxe. When you arrive on a floor, quickly determine the best place to drop a bomb to break the most rocks, drop it. If it reveals a ladder, take it immediately (what you REALLY want as much as possible is holes, but make sure your health is good and high before using them). If it doesn't, drop stairs immediately, unless there is another great spot for a bomb right nearby.

If you quickly get swarmed by monsters, drop stairs and skedaddle immediately.

If you hit an infested floor, drop stairs and skedaddle immediately. (Possible exception for a dino floor, your first time on one you might want to quickly kill one or two dinos to get their artifacts.)

Never pause to mine anything unless it's iridium and it's very near to hand.

Iridium begins to plentifully appear below about L60. So you need to get down there with still ~3-4 hours left in the day to actually mine it (again, with bombs; the pickaxe is way too slow).

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I never edited it after the discussion but you should definitely scarf some luck-boosting food just before going in, too (Lucky Lunch is best, Spicy Eel is acceptable).

Also that you should get a Warp Totem: Desert from the desert trader in advance, and be prepared to use it to warp to the desert as soon as you confirm on the TV that it's a max luck day.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Lots of bombs, good daily luck, food buffs (notably speed,luck,defense). A powerful weapon (if you don't have Galaxy Sword, check the adventurer's guild for like, the Lava Katana maybe?). Jump down holes if you see them. Have a bunch of non-buff healing too. Cannot express how important it is to be clearing big areas with bombs instead of pickaxing. Explosive shot on a slingshot can help finish off mummies if you like.

You can also craft stairs, or trade Jade for them with the desert trader on... a day of the week I forget.

Empty all your non-skull cave related gear so you spend less time messing with your inventory. Keep crafting more bombs as you go (you can also just buy an insane stock from the dwarf).
Warp toteming in helps a bunch but if you are only getting down to like 10 maybe not. Also just run out the clock. Oh no you lost a few thousand G and need to eat to get full stamina, who cares.

And/or mod in the Skull Cave Elevator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Also if you have a Crystalarium, you can duplicate Jade at a rate about 1 a day, and then trade them with the Desert Trader on Sundays for staircases.