Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Main DPS doesn't even need to be 80/80 even 70/80 is fine until you have too many exp books to know what to do with imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Kild posted:

Main DPS doesn't even need to be 80/80 even 70/80 is fine until you have too many exp books to know what to do with imo.

Fair point, though at WL7 you start running into things high enough level to incur damage penalties for level difference. If you put the minimum effort into most events you'll wind up with a good amount of xp books though. Certainly don't spend them willy-nilly but investment into your primary damage dealer is seldom a bad investment.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

Ytlaya posted:

That seems like one of the better weapons to refine, since it decreases the cool-down for it activating.

It's not a bad weapon per se, but I run Klee and Ning as catalyst users and already have Lost Prayer and Solar Pearl, both of which are better choices. I need to run the numbers on Solar Pearl R1 VS Eye of Perception R5 for Ning carry, if that doesn't work out it'll get shelved.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Saxophone posted:

damage penalties for level difference

Is there any documentation for this anywhere? Sometimes I see people with strange stopping points on their levels like 78 and 82 and I figured there was some kinda mob level thing.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the wiki does have a page with damage formulas that includes the level-based stuff, someone feel free to correct if it's wrong though

https://genshin-impact.fandom.com/wiki/Damage

honestly higher odd levels like 78 i usually assume are from just hitting a stopping point of "oh i ran out of books" while something like 82 would be from uncapping that character and then using them so much they gain levels from kills. though aside from damage there are reasons to level characters like Venti/Jean since the suction on their abilities decreases as the level gap between them and an enemy widens (i assume Sucrose is the same). dunno what others have level-based effects like that.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

dogsicle posted:

there are reasons to level characters like Venti/Jean since the suction on their abilities decreases as the level gap between them and an enemy widens

This is really good to know, I've got Sucrose at 70 at WL7 and I guess Jean is going up from 60 to 70 as well. Gotta have that succ

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
The only real argument for holding WL is to stay at 6 until you can instantly jump to 8.

Even then it's a bit shaky, but workable - at WL6 if you stay capped at AR50 you can access all the domains and uncap your characters and weapons to 90 immediately, before having to upgrade the world level. Meanwhile, WL7 doesn't really make drop rates any better; boss domains aren't affected at all, and your regular 40-resin bosses still won't be guaranteed to drop five-star artifacts - that takes WL8. I think the five-star rate goes from ~30% to ~60% in WL7.

So you effectively make things a tiny bit harder and take a tiny bit longer but don't actually get that much in exchange - the real big benefits like uncaps are already acquired. So if you were on a low-interest phase of Genshin where you just wanted to do resin activities as fast as possible and log out, or explore something brand new like Dragonspine (or Chasm in presumably 1.4) on release with less powerful enemies, then that might be a reasonable argument. Another would be to hold off until your dps carry is at least uncapped to 90, collecting any needed materials while it's still a bit faster. This is also a bit reliant on what you have - someone with a built up Diluc or Ganyu or good carry in general may not notice any real change between WL6 and higher, but someone who doesn't have a top-tier carry (or doesn't have a full artifact set) might find it more time-consuming to do things.

If you do hold off you just keep earning rank exp and when you hit I think 150,000 total you go do the unlock quest and you'll jump from AR50 directly to 55, skipping WL7 entirely.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

Is there presently a need besides Abyss to ascend past 80? I'm at WL7 and Oceanid is probably the only world boss that would give me trouble, mostly because my electro subs are still at 60. Klee gets reliably two-shot by some world bosses and nuked by Childe, but she wasn't all that sturdy at WL5. My damage dealing with a mix of 4* and 5* +16 artifacts doesn't seem like it's lagging behind. The only carries I have with poor numbers are ones I haven't gotten artifacts up to speed on.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
You can beat all current world content at like level 60, the game is 80% gear check and 20% characters as long as you have the right element.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

yeah you don't need to fully ascend anyone, even for Abyss full clears. without 1.3's gem conversion i feel it's unlikely you even have the materials on hand unless you're incredibly lucky and spend more time than you need to farming bosses.

when you're actually considering pulling the trigger, just doing whoever you use most is probably fine but you can make some considerations. like 5* characters gain more of their ascension stat at final ascension than 4*, and both cost the same amount of mats. characters having different ascension stats means they vary wildly from stuff that is nice to get outside of artifacts (crit%, cdmg, ER%, EM, ele%) to bland (atk%) or even useless (healing%). and if you hold off doing any of this until AR55 you're also getting guaranteed 5*s in Glad and Wanderer, which is a nice side benefit.

e: apparently i can't count and the 4* vs 5* ascension stat differences are negligible. like 1-2% so not even equivalent to a substat roll.

dogsicle fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jan 30, 2021

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Framboise posted:

Yeah. I let myself get psyched out about the AR50 spike and there's... not really one.

The biggest difficulty imo is a lot of the domains at AR45 are quite a bit tougher, but if you know what you're doing they're not that bad.

You can also just choose to do lower-level domains; the WL increase only matters for stuff like ascension material bosses (and I guess Andrius?).

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Your decision to flip or not flip world level should be based entirely on your Oceanid performance.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

Mailer posted:

Your decision to flip or not flip world level should be based entirely on your Oceanid performance.

I have Childe at 80 and XQ at 60/70 and Mona is just gonna have to sit in Oceanid Jail because I'll be damned if I'm running that boss again without being under duress

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Mailer posted:

:hmmyes:

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
As someone who was previously concerned about increasing WL, the increase in difficulty is so insignificant that I don't see any reason to hold back. Just upgrade your weapon level and you would not be able to tell the difference.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I just hit 50 and I want to get a couple guys to 80/90, and I see I need like 50 purple scrolls. LOL it’s mage genocide time again!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I took the big D to 90 and I have no regrets on that since I use him like 95% of the time for poo poo.

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

Mailer posted:

This is it. It took me way longer than it should have to get Xingqiu to 60/70 because there was a long period where I 100% couldn't complete it if any eagles showed up (and I wasn't about to waste my food on restarting over and over to get a run where they didn't show).

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
gosh I am dying to know what the next starglitter toons are. I wanna know if I should buy Xiangling or wait!

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Hey remember when people were convinced chests respawned? That was good fun.

Mang Tomas
Jan 9, 2007

kater posted:

Hey remember when people were convinced chests respawned? That was good fun.

If you believe it, it will come true.

(Give us a reason to romp around Teyvat Mihoyo)

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Mailer posted:

I'll keep saying this every time: F2P Knights of Favonius. When you see a water orb headed for a corner square, crash the backline and hold Lisa's E while they spawn in. It'll wipe like 75% of their health out and you can zap tap the rest. Bunny buys you some time, Kaeya's got a quickfire freeze, and if you pop his and Noelle's ults together you can unleash shatter carnage and refill everybody's health.

If you're starting out, at least get your freebos to 60. They're competent fighters and everybody's guaranteed to have them, so all content needs to be beatable with them.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
Fischl does well against every spawn from Oceanid where she can both drop Oz and plink at the flying birds. I would think Fischl + Barbara for healing and topping off between waves + any two non water guys would have you covered pretty well.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jan 30, 2021

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
4 pages of this...

I'm really glad for Claim All, but can we get a Mark All as Read button too?

Or like, just make the event cash reward increments 5k instead of 500.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Pain of Mind posted:

Fischl does well against every spawn from Oceanid where she can both drop Oz and plink at the flying birds.

That's what I currently do. If you've got the room to run, and other spawns permitting, you can shoot from just outside their dive range and move when they do. The key component to that, of course, being other spawns permitting. If you get a poo poo combo it's easier to reset than bother trying to kite a menagerie across the area while hoping the autotarget doesn't pick the wrong one.

The best strategy is just having Ganyu, but breaking pity on a character to trivialize a boss so that I can go up a difficulty level for virtually no benefit is a little silly. :v:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

zgrowler2 posted:

It's not a bad weapon per se, but I run Klee and Ning as catalyst users and already have Lost Prayer and Solar Pearl, both of which are better choices. I need to run the numbers on Solar Pearl R1 VS Eye of Perception R5 for Ning carry, if that doesn't work out it'll get shelved.

Oh yeah, that changes things substantially. Since I don't have a 5* catalyst my main DPS catalysts are Solar Pearl (R3) and Eye of Perception.

In general "what weapons do you already have" is a major factor when recommend what people focus on.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

This is my motley crew. AR38, so not quite at artifact farming level yet. I've just gotten Ganyu up to a reasonable level and I'm trying to figure out how best to use her. I have a Prototype Crescent (lv70), Stringless (lv20), and some random garbage bows. Other notable weapons are Skyward Pride x2, Lion's Roar x2, Black Sword, and Widsith x3.

The teams I'm considering are Diluc/??/Ganyu/Xingqiu or Keqing/??/Ganyu/Xingqiu with Ganyu as a support, or Ganyu/Xiangling/??/Xingqiu with Ganyu as carry. What would be good picks to fill in the ??s, and would Bennett be a better healer than Xingqiu for any/all of them?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Should my two main dps be lvl 80 if I’m at AR45?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Boris Galerkin posted:

Only if you're doing abyss, and specifically floors after 8 that aren't stone-walled by ice.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Boris Galerkin posted:

I would say once your talents are limited by weekly boss drops, once your two main dps have their preferred artifact set at at least level 16, and once their weapons are at least 80 ,then working them to the last ascension makes some sense if only to help break up the monotony.

edit: I got my main to 80 as soon as I could, but that might not have been optimal.

Tsyni fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jan 31, 2021

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Get great to perfect artifact sets tends to be a vague number-crunching exercise, while just ascending a character is fairly straight forward, so I can see the appeal.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Thoom posted:

This is my motley crew. AR38, so not quite at artifact farming level yet. I've just gotten Ganyu up to a reasonable level and I'm trying to figure out how best to use her. I have a Prototype Crescent (lv70), Stringless (lv20), and some random garbage bows. Other notable weapons are Skyward Pride x2, Lion's Roar x2, Black Sword, and Widsith x3.

The teams I'm considering are Diluc/??/Ganyu/Xingqiu or Keqing/??/Ganyu/Xingqiu with Ganyu as a support, or Ganyu/Xiangling/??/Xingqiu with Ganyu as carry. What would be good picks to fill in the ??s, and would Bennett be a better healer than Xingqiu for any/all of them?

First off 2 Skyward Pride :argh:

Okay with C4 XQ and a 5* weapon Diluc running them together is a given. I can't imagine I'd refine a skyward pride but that is an option if you want to feel like a big whale.

Ganyu works really well with that due to freeze and melt I got her with like +4 artifacts and she still just ends stuff if you can get it wet. The control is really nice too and you don't pay for it in DPS.

I would go with Bennet for the end of that, fire synergy, he's an outstanding healer, lately I have been outfitting him with 4x noblesse instead of maiden's and it cuts his heals from like 7000 to 4000 either way it's plenty, Diluc helps keep his energy loaded. Unless you think you can get his C1 he might not be the absolute best long term.

You would really benefit from Noelle's C6 and really XQ's and Xiangling's constellations as well, and they are all outstanding additions to your team for variety or to fill out abyss teams. Noelle at C6 and Skyward Pride would be an absolute monster. I'm trying to build one now. So don't refine it and put one on her, you lucky bastard you. It also might be worth it to dolphin a bit or blow any primo's you are banking since all your constellations from everyone on the banner are huge value adds.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

does this game have dressup or nah

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

black.lion posted:

Not yet

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

black.lion posted:

Yes it has like 40 outfits you can dress up your sets of artifacts with.

Also wings.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

So are we getting info on the next banner's 4*s tomorrow? Last time we got three days notice: banner started on the 12th, announcement was on the 9th.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

i feel like ive received conflicting answers

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

Thoom posted:

Benny is good, level Benny.

To be more specific:
  • Bennett is going to be more useful as a healer in 90% of circumstances, since he heals once per second while Xingqiu can only heal off of 3-4 hits per 15-second period. As a healer, Xingqiu might be more useful against an enemy with an attack that hits 3-4 times in one second, only comes up occasionally, and can't be dodged. You'd have to actually crunch the numbers to find out, though.
  • Xingqiu heals for 6% of his max health when a Rain Sword breaks. When his ult is up, his swords don't break. Whenever you make use of his ult for easy Hydro application, you give up his healing. You do get constant damage reduction instead, but it scales off of Hydro DMG/talent levels, so you'll get that benefit regardless of whether you build Xingqiu for healing or for elemental support.
  • Meanwhile, Bennett can heal and provide an attack boost simultaneously; plus, because his attack boost isn't affected by artifact stats (it scales off his base attack, i.e. only his character level-up stats and the flat attack tied to his weapon), you don't have to choose between building for the attack boost or building for heals. Once you've slapped enough energy regen on him to ensure his ult is ready as soon as its cooldown ends, you can funnel the rest into HP.
  • Like Xingqiu, Bennett heals for ~6% of his max health (per second, while his ult is up)...at talent level 1. Unlike Xingqiu, Bennett's healing gets improved as his talent levels up. At TL6, he heals for 8.4% of his max health, plus another flat 914 HP. That's pretty good, especially considering that...
  • ...Bennett has way more base HP than Xingqiu does. There's a gap of about 1.5 - 2.0K HP between them, depending on the ascension you compare them at. There's only six characters that outclass Bennett in terms of raw health, and five of them are 5* characters.
  • The only downside to Bennett is that there's a solid 3 out of 15 seconds where you get no healing from him (because his ult ends three seconds before his cooldown does).

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Araganzar posted:

First off 2 Skyward Pride :argh:

Okay with C4 XQ and a 5* weapon Diluc running them together is a given. I can't imagine I'd refine a skyward pride but that is an option if you want to feel like a big whale.

Ganyu works really well with that due to freeze and melt I got her with like +4 artifacts and she still just ends stuff if you can get it wet. The control is really nice too and you don't pay for it in DPS.

I would go with Bennet for the end of that, fire synergy, he's an outstanding healer, lately I have been outfitting him with 4x noblesse instead of maiden's and it cuts his heals from like 7000 to 4000 either way it's plenty, Diluc helps keep his energy loaded. Unless you think you can get his C1 he might not be the absolute best long term.

You would really benefit from Noelle's C6 and really XQ's and Xiangling's constellations as well, and they are all outstanding additions to your team for variety or to fill out abyss teams. Noelle at C6 and Skyward Pride would be an absolute monster. I'm trying to build one now. So don't refine it and put one on her, you lucky bastard you. It also might be worth it to dolphin a bit or blow any primo's you are banking since all your constellations from everyone on the banner are huge value adds.

Thanks for the advice! I am planning to put whatever I can into the banner before it goes away, because I like all the 4*s and the off chance of C1 Ganyu seems worth potentially resetting my pity if that happens. I don't really care about the Xiao/Keqing banners so I've got at least a month to resume stockpiling.

I assume I'll stumble into C1 Bennett eventually (from the stardust shop if not sooner), so it sounds like I'm working towards getting Diluc/XQ/Ganyu/Bennett online. If I'm going that direction, is it worth putting time and effort into leveling up Stringless or should I focus on farming decent artifact sets as soon as I hit AR40?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

black.lion posted:

black.lion posted:

i feel like ive received conflicting answers

People in this thread are fairly sure that there will be different costumes to give to characters in game at some point but for now, the only thing you can change are what kind of wings people glide with.

Either extra outfits for people to wear or they'll be totally different characters to roll for.