Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

the whole thread: yeah skip the co-op bosses they're hard and the rewards suck. here's how to avoid them, here's specifically the bonfire names so you'll know when you reach them
officeparty: gently caress lads gank squad's kicking my rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Only cowards skip Blue Smelter, Alonne, Gank Squad :colbert:

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

i notice you put two old iron king bosses on that list and left out lud&zallen

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

never skip the beautiful content of this game.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Djeser posted:

i notice you put two old iron king bosses on that list and left out lud&zallen

I'm willing to concede that some people may not be able to reach them. It took me a few nights with a friend to get us both there alive, and at that point the boss fight was very easy and pretty fun. I will not say that about the horses :vee:

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
I kinda like the Frozen Outskirts because I feel like Dark Souls might get a kick out of more open and less tunnel-y areas

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

I thought the individual elements of the frozen outskirts (horses, wide open area, periodic impaired visibility) were all good on their own, but they were implemented really badly for a number of reasons. It’s a shame, because with more time put into it, frozen outskirts could have been really fun.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
So I'm just hopping into DS2. I beat DeS, DS1, and Bloodborne.
I can totally back up the sentiment that the timing just feels different, slow in a different way than DS1 or DeS. I like the different sort of melancholy and ancient fallen kingdom being explored vibe, but man it just feels like you're so hobbled even at level 30 if you wanna be a big dude in beefy armor, whether 2 handing or trying for a shield. Usually by this point as a knight I'd be able to do both of those and cast some miracles.
Also is it far more confusing to figure out where you should be/go than thenother games? Or is that just me having played the other games to death?

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
ds2 is the only game in the series where you can get really stuck by simply not exhausting an npc's dialogue and it's loving stupid

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

There's a deadzone "fix" mod that might enable a better control feel for some people. I used it on my last two plays of the game and found controlling my character did improve a bit, especially when using big strength weapons.

https://www.nexusmods.com/darksouls2/mods/786

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Speaking of dead ends, if you go straight from the pursuer boss fight in the giant's graveyard to lost bastille, you need to use a homeward bone or suicide right?
The path from the bonfire the bird drops you off at seems like a 1 way, and the other gates/paths all require opening from the other side, a fragrant branch, or potentially the fire dude I came up behind to have exploded something with his rolling barrel, which didn't happen.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

You can just teleport from bonfire to bonfire, this isn't DS1 which locked off fast travel for the first half of the game.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

NGDBSS posted:

You can just teleport from bonfire to bonfire, this isn't DS1 which locked off fast travel for the first half of the game.

No I'm talking about if you left that bonfire, there's a 1 way path, which so far the devs are way too fond of imo.
It turns out the chest the pursuer ambush is guarding has a fragrant branch. So you can actually progress a bit further, but I'm taking a break, so I'll report back if that's a full path into the level, or just a way to something else I shouldn't fight yet. In which case I think I'll skip 2 and go straight to 3.
I just see no reason why that bonfire is one way, or the link between that giants and bastille exists, and of course that ambush, other than the b team devs leaning hard into :darksouls: without understanding what made the first work.

Coolness Averted fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Jan 24, 2021

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

There are one-way paths in all the Souls games except DS1, and only because technically you can climb out of the Great Hollow or exit the painting after an hour or two of bird ladies and pike-wielding slimes. As for the barrel if it didn't explode you can push it into position manually and use a firebomb. (If it did then yeah use a homeward bone, the game throws resources at you like crazy.)

Two things very important to know are that -shields are not the same stupid amazing bullshit they were in DS1 (hi Greatshield of Artorias!) but inversely dodging is really useful once your Agility doesn't suck (breakpoints to care about are 92/96/99/105) and that -DS2 has a flatter leveling curve so you'll be somewhere between 150 and 200 by the time you finish all the content. Level 30 for you right now is like level 15-20 in the other games.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Coolness Averted posted:

No I'm talking about if you left that bonfire, there's a 1 way path, which so far the devs are way too fond of imo.
It turns out the chest the pursuer ambush is guarding has a fragrant branch. So you can actually progress a bit further, but I'm taking a break, so I'll report back if that's a full path into the level, or just a way to something else I shouldn't fight yet. In which case I think I'll skip 2 and go straight to 3.
I just see no reason why that bonfire is one way, or the link between that giants and bastille exists, and of course that ambush, other than the b team devs leaning hard into :darksouls: without understanding what made the first work.

There are two ways into the bastille from two different areas. There's also a bonfire accessible without using the fragrant branch, but you might need to check out messages near that door at the bottom of the hill.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Am I forgetting something fundamental about the layout of the Bastille or is there a weird Scholar change I'm not familiar with? Regardless of which way you come in, you can always hit up the bonfire in the hallway full of prison cells, can't you?

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

You're probably forgetting something. I believe you're talking about the Exile Holding Cells bonfire, which is accessible right after finishing No Man's Wharf and taking the ride over from there. You can eventually reach it from the other side (ie starting from The Tower Apart), but that requires you to go through the boss fight in the middle.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I think what I'm forgetting is that the gate by McDuff only has a switch to open it from the Wharf side, otherwise you need to loop around and do a bunch of stuff, including opening the Antiquated Key door. That sound right?

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Mostly. You technically don't need the Antiquated Key to get over there because you can drop down from the higher floors to that same area by the Wharf-side switch. It's the same path that allows you to grab the Golden Wing Shield (and find the Pursuer).

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I had all 4 knights, and 2 npc summons (one of which I thought was another player until I looked it up just now) and it still took me two tries and stuffing my face with every random healing thing I had while I played olympic loving gymnastics with this antarctica level boss. Why is the cold zone boss a fire knight anyway.

And the it just kind of...ends. Am i building toward something else or do I just finish the DLC and go huh that was neat

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Burnt Ivory King is an amazing chaotic mess. :kimchi: And the cold zone's above the fire knight specifically to seal away all the fire below (the Old Chaos).

Do you have all the crowns? Try visiting Vendrick.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

drunken officeparty posted:

I had all 4 knights, and 2 npc summons (one of which I thought was another player until I looked it up just now) and it still took me two tries and stuffing my face with every random healing thing I had while I played olympic loving gymnastics with this antarctica level boss. Why is the cold zone boss a fire knight anyway.

because you put cold on top of fire to keep the fire in :rolleye:

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

tweet my meat posted:

I'm probably the only person who loves frozen outskirts.

The coffin toboggan was always a nice touch.

edit: You can craft the Fume Sword from the Fume Knight's soul as well. It's the longest straight sword in the game and scales fantastically with DEX. A very good weapon all around.

Victory Position fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jan 25, 2021

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Fume Sword is fantastic for a caster. Reqs are a bit high but it takes infusions really well

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

imo the frigid outskirts coffin should also have swapped your characters gender each time

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Victory Position posted:

edit: You can craft the Fume Sword from the Fume Knight's soul as well. It's the longest straight sword in the game and scales fantastically with DEX. A very good weapon all around.

There are so many cool dex and quality weapons in DS2. It's also funny that when starting out even a ton of weapons that looked good for a strength build still required a heavier dex investment just because of two handing. So realistically that polearm or bastard sword would require 10 str but 12 or 14 dex.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

John Murdoch posted:

I think what I'm forgetting is that the gate by McDuff only has a switch to open it from the Wharf side, otherwise you need to loop around and do a bunch of stuff, including opening the Antiquated Key door. That sound right?

Yup all without access to a bonfire, and realistically 2-4 estus (if you went straight through giants, without exploring other zones) and the game drops the boss you just defeated in a much smaller arena with no ballistae to cheese him with. Though it despawned for me once I ran back to try and lure the pursuer into the explosion room.
Like DS1 the game gives you a ton of homeward bones at least. DS2's soul memory and respawn system has me paranoid about wasting potential levels on consumables or trying to farm for any drops though.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Victory Position posted:

The drawback of the fume sword is really high stamina consumption for a straight sword, but it’s totally worth it for the style alone. Sleek, functional-looking weapons with subtle fantasy touches are the highest form of Dark Souls fashion and the fume sword is one of the best examples.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
The drawback of the Fume Sword is that it's not the FUGS.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
That’s a pretty big drawback to be honest.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
That's what DS3 is for.

e- And the whole reason the Eleum Loyce is frozen is it's a result of the influence Alsanna is exerting while keeping the Old Chaos at bay. Like it was probably a normal winter-y place before but things got extra fucky because of her.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jan 27, 2021

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Everything is Gwyn's loving fault.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Charles Bukowski posted:

Everything is Gwyn's loving fault.

The demons are the witch of izalith's loving fault :colbert:

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
The Demon's did nothing wrong. Everything in all 3 games is because Gwyn didn't want to get old and forgotten. Welcome to everyone that ever existed pal! Now let me parry you to death.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Charles Bukowski posted:

The Demon's did nothing wrong. Everything in all 3 games is because Gwyn didn't want to get old and forgotten. Welcome to everyone that ever existed pal! Now let me parry you to death.

Nah, it's true, the Witch of Izalith attempted to recreate the first flame first, before Gwyn linked the fire. She made a relatively small "fear the dark" fuckup before Gwyn made the big one

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

feelix posted:

Nah, it's true, the Witch of Izalith attempted to recreate the first flame first, before Gwyn linked the fire. She made a relatively small "fear the dark" fuckup before Gwyn made the big one

The demons are only bad guys because Gwyn looked at them and decided they had to go though. Just because they were the result of a gross miscalculation on the Witch's part doesn't make them evil.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

while demons are sentient and capable of society and civilization, it is very likely they have to parasitize other living things like humans tho, making them naturally predatory

they're abominations, but like, self-aware, kinda-sad-about-it abominations that sometimes just embrace the darkness

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

drunken officeparty posted:

And the it just kind of...ends. Am i building toward something else or do I just finish the DLC and go huh that was neat

New Game plus is actually like a functional hard mode in DS2. A ton of new enemy layouts, some significant changes to items and item drops as well as new rewards, and some bosses become quite a bit scarier. So you do have something to play around with after getting all those crazy toys from the dlc

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

I'm not just a member... I'm the president

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I'm not just a member... I'm the president

Are you the Emerald Herald?