Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

acksplode posted:

He's an opportunist with no ideological commitment

Yes but enough about Newsom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
Never gonna stop laughing that Newsom's ex-wife is Don Jr's current girlfriend.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Navin Gewsom

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

BeAuMaN posted:

Honestly I don't remember what the Democratic party did in 2003; did they just dump Davis to the curb?
They pinned their hopes on Plz Don't Vote for Recall and hedged with Lt. Gov Cruz Bustamante as the reasonable alternative who was already pre-positioned to take the reins from a clown car sideshow political process.

Bustamante, famously, mispronounced "Negro" during a stump speech and :fork:

He never really had a chance because Vote For My Boss. BUT if Not Vote For Me is a hard sell.

mitztronic posted:

I would rather have a republican than Newsom. I’m totally fine if that’s what happens, including dragging California through the mud.
How loving stupid do you have to be to see the complete idiocy from GOP run states for the last year and think "yep, wants me some of that because :ghost: neolibs :ghost:

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

We need the shane company guy to run for governor

NOW..YOU HAVE A FRIEND IN THE DIAMOND BUSINESS

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Honestly I think a recall would come down to The Rock vs Elon Musk.

Whichever one makes a faux 80s commercial with "LIFE IS GOOD>.... BUT IT COULD BE BETTER" cinches it.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
What could the rock do as governor with a Democrat controlled legislature?

To warrant this kind of post

FilthyImp posted:

How loving stupid do you have to be to see the complete idiocy from GOP run states for the last year and think "yep, wants me some of that because :ghost: neolibs :ghost:

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

FilthyImp posted:

Honestly I think a recall would come down to The Rock vs Elon Musk.

Whichever one makes a faux 80s commercial with "LIFE IS GOOD>.... BUT IT COULD BE BETTER" cinches it.

Musk moved his legal residence to Texas.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

fermun posted:

Musk moved his legal residence to Texas.

This means he may be legally hunted for sport, but only with a bow.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

mitztronic posted:

I would rather have a republican than Newsom. I’m totally fine if that’s what happens, including dragging California through the mud. I’ve never been happy with him on any level. Never wanted him in office or his ilk. I’m sick of neolibs, and this one in particular just emanates slime.

$0.02, feel free to poo poo on my opinion

Your opinion is poo poo. Nothing wrong with dumping on neolibs but preferring Republicans to them is just brainworms. Republicans won't even pretend to care as they shovel your corpses into the incinerator. Gavbot is slimy but ultimately just doing what his public opinion modeling machine learning algorithms (and big money leash-holders) tell him to do

If you'd rather live in Florida than California, be my guest. But like... move there, don't try to bring it here

Cup Runneth Over fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Jan 28, 2021

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

well, we could use the rain, but we won't need the humidity or the politicians or the trump or the trump cultists

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

droll posted:

What could the rock do as governor with a Democrat controlled legislature?

To warrant this kind of post

that poster didn't bring up the rock, i did

but the answer to your question is "even less than Gavin" because electing a republican out of frustration is probably not a great idea

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
I was using the rock as a reference, but I'm asking the other person who was using Republican legislature controlled states as to why a californian republican governor would be devastating. In California the legislature would not suddenly swing to being GOP controlled in both the assembly and senate just because the rock got meme'd into the governorship. What would [meme republican governor] really be able to gently caress up with only the executive that made OP compare to republican states. And do not take this post to be me saying "it's not bad, they couldn't do anything" I'm genuinely curious what the worst thing the meme governor would do if democrats have super majorities.

droll fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jan 28, 2021

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Consider that utter capitulation in the name of bipartisanship the the most cherished Democratic political ideal.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Republicans won't even pretend to care as they shovel your corpses into the incinerator

This implies both parties are ultimately doing the same thing, which doesn't seem like a very compelling argument for vote scolding to me!

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

lol https://twitter.com/AGeminiStallion/status/1354851806048751619

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I don't understand how anyone can look at Biden's executive orders from these first ten days and think, "Hmm, yes, this is just like what Republicans do".

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

droll posted:

I was using the rock as a reference, but I'm asking the other person who was using Republican legislature controlled states as to why a californian republican governor would be devastating. In California the legislature would not suddenly swing to being GOP controlled in both the assembly and senate just because the rock got meme'd into the governorship. What would [meme republican governor] really be able to gently caress up with only the executive that made OP compare to republican states. And do not take this post to be me saying "it's not bad, they couldn't do anything" I'm genuinely curious what the worst thing the meme governor would do if democrats have super majorities.

not entirely sure what the exec powers of a governor are, though i'm guessing not quite as strong as POTUS they are still there.

so I don't have a clear answer but best guess is "legislatively, even less than Gavin" and "executively, possibly worse things that gavin" which is why I'd rather a leftist Dem than a careerist mainstream money Dem like him.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Ok, let's see what Governor Schwarzenegger did when he moved in after Davis.

Remember his most famous policy plank was a repeal of the Car Registration increase (that eventually was undone because OOPS recession):

* In the first year of his first term as governor, Schwarzenegger proposed deep cuts in the state budget and was met with opposition in the California State Legislature. 

These cuts, btw, would have gone a great way towards destroying public schools but that's no biggie right? I'm sure Sec. Of Education Dick Reardon, who has a stake in Green Dot Charter schools, would keep things fair.

* When San Francisco started granting same-sex marriage licenses at the behest of mayor Gavin Newsom, the governor ordered state attorney general Bill Lockyer to intervene in the matter and vetoed legislation that would have legalized same-sex marriage.

Gay marriage, no way that would get tied up in courts or whatever. Totally good use of state resources to keep the gays out of marriage. (For what it's worth, Arnold did not pursue further appeals when it was clear the tide was turning)

* in 2005, Schwarzenegger proposed a redistricting reform that would have retired judges drawing new districts for the state. 

* The first executions of Schwarzenegger's term occurred in 2005 with Donald Beardslee in January and Stanley Williams in December.

Shortly afterwards, Schwarzenegger pushed for a number of propositions that would have helped him further his agenda wrt budget and spending. They were soundly rebuked by voters. Though he won reelection, he then raced towards the center, as his power play had fizzled and proved there was not a market for Conservative Ideas in the state, focusing on climate goals (the Hydrogen Highway that never made it), and moving against conservatives wrt the border walls, global warming and stem cell research.

Oh but then he pushed a balanced budget act during a recession and tightened the belt.

Arnold's ability to actually stop and say "ok that was a failure" is not really something you'll find in the GOP so yes people advocating for the GOP's turn in the hot seat are loving idiots.

Oh yeah, he ended up Vetoing 35% of the legislation that made it to his desk that second term.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
Can the ca legislature override a veto if they have enough votes?

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

droll posted:

Can the ca legislature override a veto if they have enough votes?

Two-thirds vote for override. They never do it, though.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

THE REVoLUTION shall start in Menlo Park.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

FilthyImp posted:

Oh yeah, he ended up Vetoing 35% of the legislation that made it to his desk that second term.

Let us never forget this gem

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bodhidharma
Jul 2, 2011

"virgin no more! virgin no more!" i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a corn cob

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Two-thirds vote for override. They never do it, though.

Yeah, the last time the legislature overrode a veto occurred during Jerry Brown's first stint as Governor.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
No wonder newsom vetoed ranked choice voting.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Newsom announcing signing of new eviction moratorium, stream is live:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19lLZmJrrvs

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
weird hands

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Tayter Swift posted:

Let us never forget this gem

:vince:

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.
https://www.sacbee.com/news/california/article248775710.html
California would ban bear hunting under new legislation, even as wild population rebounds

I guess this is what San Francisco Democrats like Wiener do instead of working on housing.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Good, don't hunt bears.

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.
Hunting is actually good and there is no real scientific justification for hunting bears. It's dumb. But a good distraction.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

CopperHound posted:

Okay, I looked up the top two primary act. It doesn't apply to governor.

I like that Laryy Flynt was listed as a Publisher.

Choose one voting is awful, this should be a checkbox poll.

Unironically. It's the best voting system. Easy to understand, easy to count, and works with dumb huge lists like this.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

Bizarro Watt posted:

California would ban bear hunting under new legislation, even as wild population rebounds

I guess this is what San Francisco Democrats like Wiener do instead of working on housing.

SB827, SB35, SB50, SB902, SBA-1?

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

jetz0r posted:

Unironically. It's the best voting system. Easy to understand, easy to count, and works with dumb huge lists like this.

goku option or no recall

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

jetz0r posted:

Unironically it's not. Easy to game, easy to tie. There should probably just be a higher threshold of signatures or whatever to make it on the ballot.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Greg12 posted:

SB827, SB35, SB50, SB902, SBA-1?
Probably looking for this session, though the 21-22 session is still young! Looking at bills currently introduced where Wiener is the Primary Author:
There's 13 that he has introduced thus far, and the one relating to housing development would be SB-10. Something about zoning 10 units of residential density per parcel in designated transit-rich jobs-rich or urban infill site areas?

How did I find this? Go to https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/
Click the "Bill Information"
This will bring up Bill Search. Click the "Advanced Search" tab.
Select the Session Years (2021 - 2022) and House (Senate)
Click the "Author" Tab
Click the "Senate Members" Tab
Checkbox "Wiener, Scott D."
Click the "Search" button below.

Sidenote: You can't open results in a new tab. I love the leginfo site for looking up and tracking stuff FOR FREE but they've made some uh... interesting decisions. Though once you click a bill page from the results, you can then click the "Search Results" link up top to take you back to the results. You can also transition between the results in sequential order (as listed in the results) by hitting the bill numbers followed by the arrows up top. If you clicked SB-10, on the top right will be "SB-56 -->", and then so on.

I also want to say that the way Advanced Search is currently setup is a new-ish feature but I may have just mind-blanked on it in previous years. I track a lot of firearm bills (and law, and regulation, and rulemaking activity). Hope that helped someone. If you setup an account you can also track bills, and even add bills to be tracked automatically based off various criteria and keywords.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Bizarro Watt posted:

???

Wiener has probably worked on housing solutions more than anyone? His more ambitious solutions keep getting shut down though, because NIMBYs.

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

Well that's embarrassing. I must've gotten Wiener mixed up with someone else. :thunk:

I maintain the bill is still pointless, however.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Shear Modulus posted:

the centrist and right-wing dems, which gavinbot is one of, are still confident they can piss off the left base of the dem party with no electoral consequence

This is why the DSA is putting together a statewide organization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Bizarro Watt posted:

Bizarro Watt posted:

Well that's embarrassing. I must've gotten Wiener mixed up with someone else. :thunk:

I maintain the bill is still pointless, however.

leave the bears alone u hairless ape freak