Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/ASonNamedBort/status/1355333880807620609?s=19

I was genuinely shocked at how efficient the vaccine centre I went to was. It feels weird to say but we're doing... Well ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

OwlFancier posted:

I am glad I haven't ever had any male friends tbh, it sounds crap.

I killed all mine.
To show dominance.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Jokes on you all, I never had any friends.

A load of kids in school pretended to be my friend for a bit to string me along for laughs then turned on me savagely all at once at the end of school, did a load of nasty poo poo and then ghosted me.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

OwlFancier posted:

I am glad I haven't ever had any male friends tbh, it sounds crap.

The manifestation changes, the base behavior doesn't.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Teenage girls are just as capable as teenage boys of doing bizarrely cruel things for no reason.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Teenage girls are just as capable as teenage boys of doing bizarrely cruel things for no reason.

worse, the prevailing thing in high school was always if 2 boys fought thered be a couple of punches and then some grappling and it'd be over, whenver 2 girls fought it was eye-gouging, hair pulling, knees to the face bloodsport

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Gonzo McFee posted:

I was genuinely shocked at how efficient the vaccine centre I went to was. It feels weird to say but we're doing... Well ?

Arguably efficiency of vaccine centres has nothing to do with the vaccine shortage in the EU, I'm sure they're perfectly capable of jabbing people too if they had anything to jab them with.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Gonzo McFee posted:

Between the rapid vaccine rollout and the venture capitalist project manager actually doing a really good job securing priority access to mutliple successful vaccines the government genuinely seem to have done a good job in this one respect. Right now you could even call the UK's vaccine programme 'world beating'

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Right, but that wasn't really a thing in On The Buses (I'm sure, given it was a 70s sitcom, there might have been a "look at the poofs" episode). Like I say, the only real similarity is that they're both very much lowbrow. If you wanted a modern equivalent to On The Buses it's that loving terrible Lucas/Walliams airline thing, except they did it with utter contempt for the characters, and if you wanted a 70s equivalent of Mrs Browns Boys there's any amount of "big family of idiots with one "sensible" parent" shows you could go for.

Come to think of it, a *lot* of comedy of the last two decades has already aged *worse* than those kind of broad 70s sitcoms - obviously poo poo like Love Thy Neighbour is irredeemable, but On The Buses looks pretty good compared to League of Gentlemen or Little Britain.

i didn't really mean that precise thing i meant they're both sitcoms centred around wacky family antics with bawdy jokes and a hateful streak in how certain characters are caricatured

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Gonzo McFee posted:

Actually putting a needle in an arm is by far the simplest bit. Getting the vaccines and the people to the same place at the same time is the tricky bit, and we're very much on easy mode at the minute. The people getting jabs are in groups that are in regular touch with the NHS and are very motivated to turn up, and doing the second jabs on a "eh, whenever" schedule makes all of the logistics a lot easier. We *should* be well into giving second jabs, which is a harder task logistically and organisationally (you don't just lob whatever vaccines come off the lorry out to the centres, you actually have to properly schedule them and make sure the same jabs go in the same arms).

Once we start doing the second jabs in earnest, and once we start getting into the under-65 and non-vulnerable populations all of that will go straight out the window because between no-shows, ensuring the people who do turn up get the same jab, and the inevitable supply crunch as other nations ramp up their efforts, then we can say we're doing well if we can keep up the same pace.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Also as per the A-Z comments to Bloomberg they're explicitly prioritising UK orders based on HM government wishes:

AZ CEO posted:

The EU says it has invested hundreds of millions of euros in helping the drugmaker boost its production capacity. Soriot said that the U.K. has done the same for manufacturing in Britain, so the EU will have to wait its turn.

“The U.K. government said the vaccines coming out of the U.K. supply chain would go to the U.K. first,” he said. “This vaccine was developed with the U.K. government, Oxford and with us as well. As soon as we can, we’ll help the EU.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I'd say considerably more so.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

The Inbetweeners had a lot of really good stuff that deconstructs well and holds up.

Like how Jay is this horribly vulgar kids who says the worst stuff and you feel is a borderline sex criminal in waiting.
Then the more you learn about how awful his home life is, you find out he is really just a victim of toxic masculinity and is capable of being a good person who just wants to be loved.

Or how Will is assumed to be smarter than the others and in the end they realize he is not smart, just sounds posh so that's why they differ to him.

Comedy wise the best bit is shouting "Bus Wankers" at people as you drive past them. Though I often change it to "Bike Wankers" and direct it to Bike Wankers.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

JollyBoyJohn posted:

worse, the prevailing thing in high school was always if 2 boys fought thered be a couple of punches and then some grappling and it'd be over, whenver 2 girls fought it was eye-gouging, hair pulling, knees to the face bloodsport

Also psychological warfare on a scale the CIA would be horrified by.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
inbetweeners just screams of being one those shows the creators will relaunch as a trainspotting 2 style "where they are now" when they are all 40 and skint

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

i suppose that too

I think the worst male fight in my family was a brief fisticuff between cousins at a wedding when everyone was piss drunk, the worst female one was a month long period of abusive online stalking and death threats under a fake facebook account culminating in a car being covered in eggs and flour

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Private Speech posted:

Also as per the A-Z comments to Bloomberg they're explicitly prioritising UK orders based on HM government wishes:

I posted it in the 'rona thread, but:

quote:

13.1 AstraZeneca represents, warrants and covenants to the Commission and the Participating Member States that:
[...]
(e) it is not under any obligation, contractual or otherwise, to any Person or third party in respect of the Initial Europe Doses or that conflicts with or is inconsistent in any material respect with the terms of this Agreement or that would impede the complete fulfillment of its obligations under this Agreement

They got over 200 million € to produce doses while the vaccine was still in testing.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

JollyBoyJohn posted:

culminating in a car being covered in eggs and flour
Sounds like a battery problem.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Guavanaut posted:

i just want to say this joke works on like 3 levels and made me laugh out loud

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I bloody wouldn't.

Still traumatized by what boys at my primary school did to my friend :argh:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

The Question IRL posted:

Comedy wise the best bit is shouting "Bus Wankers" at people as you drive past them. Though I often change it to "Bike Wankers" and direct it to Bike Wankers.

:thermidor:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I feel like even this common belief is wrapped up in a bunch of patriarchal bullshit, even though on aggregate its probably true. Easier to say that teenagers on the whole are amoral hormonal sociopaths and need to be isolated or sent down the mines

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Oh dear me posted:

I bloody wouldn't.

Still traumatized by what boys at my primary school did to my friend :argh:

I mean if there were teenage boys at your primary school that's a whole other set of problems.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

happyhippy posted:

It's pack nature in essence.
You will never get rid of the built in necessity of the human mentality of pack ordering and such.
There will always being internal posturing to be alpha or whatever, here in the form of putting each other down with joke insults or such.

I will get rid of it. Everyone will live in total isolation with only the AI based on monitoring and providing for them as any form of contact with anything else.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Schools closing down has resulted in fewer suicides among youth.

Given what I went through as someone visibly disabled, I can't say I'm surprised.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

I feel like even this common belief is wrapped up in a bunch of patriarchal bullshit, even though on aggregate its probably true.
The cool* thing about early adulthood development is it can be** both. Teenagers are ridiculously informed in their development by social norms, both through acceptance and attempted navigation/rejection, that patterns of behaviour can be both grotesque stereotypes and 100% real issues.

*poo poo
**definitely is

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

endlessmonotony posted:

Given what I went through as someone visibly disabled, I can't say I'm surprised.

I am entirely unsurprised.

Let's not let that get in the way of sending them back though.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

endlessmonotony posted:

Do you have a good citation for that?

I don't disbelieve you, I just want something to fire back at the "all 110k excess deaths are suicides because our piss-weak lockdown is so brutal and also people missing appointments they never did before and a spate of pianos falling on people 27 days after their Covid tests" dickheads.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I mean if there were teenage boys at your primary school that's a whole other set of problems.

I went to a girls' senior school (a not unrelated fact), but I know from third parties those boys carried on for a while.

I am not going to draw conclusions about a whole gender from my personal experience. I am just sceptical of other claims, without evidence.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Guavanaut posted:

Do you have a good citation for that?

I don't disbelieve you, I just want something to fire back at the "all 110k excess deaths are suicides because our piss-weak lockdown is so brutal and also people missing appointments they never did before and a spate of pianos falling on people 27 days after their Covid tests" dickheads.

COVID thread in C-SPAM had statistics, but I don't know the source.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Replies to this have at least some data:

https://twitter.com/tylerblack32/status/1352761144113471488

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Looks like there's no obvious change either way for England & Wales other than the increases due to changed standards of evidence and continuing trends from austerity continuing to be just complete awful poo poo.

(That's not specifically adolescent focused though, it's overall.)

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Guavanaut posted:

Looks like there's no obvious change either way for England & Wales other than the increases due to changed standards of evidence and continuing trends from austerity continuing to be just complete awful poo poo.

(That's not specifically adolescent focused though, it's overall.)

This study looking at children comes to the same conclusion* - a small rise that's statistically insignificant.

*Granted it's to July 2020 so only covers the beginning months, but includes the first school closures.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Guavanaut posted:

This is a truly excellent joke.

In other news, looks like prominent leftist youtuber, runner of Philosophy Tube has come out as trans, and is premiering a video about it in like 25 mins on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AITRzvm0Xtg

Likely to be good on trans issues generally.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Failed Imagineer posted:

I feel like even this common belief is wrapped up in a bunch of patriarchal bullshit, even though on aggregate its probably true. Easier to say that teenagers on the whole are amoral hormonal sociopaths and need to be isolated or sent down the mines

Speaking only from my own experience of being a teenager, the fundamental problem is you still have the soul of a toddler but now it's piloting a brain and a body that is almost as strong as an adult, so you still have those white-hot flashes of emotion, good and bad, but now the means to turn them into something really loving dangerous.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

WhatEvil posted:

In other news, looks like prominent leftist youtuber, runner of Philosophy Tube has come out as trans, and is premiering a video about it in like 25 mins on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AITRzvm0Xtg

Likely to be good on trans issues generally.

This is really nice to see. Whenever you have a situation like this they always look so much more happy and comfortable in the "post coming out" video.

Same happened with Jim Sterling, who went public with their NB identity last week and suddenly started smiling the first time in ages. https://youtu.be/ZkAZhm5zdrY

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

blunt posted:

This study looking at children comes to the same conclusion* - a small rise that's statistically insignificant.

*Granted it's to July 2020 so only covers the beginning months, but includes the first school closures.

Yeah, I'm extremely interested in this question for work purposes, and I haven't seen anything at all so far that purports to be conclusive. I'd be very, very wary of anyone throwing around blanket statements like "Schools closing down has resulted in fewer suicides among youth" with zero caveats (especially since suicide rates can vary a lot by country, gender, race etc). It's absolutely not helpful at all - especially when the source is someone on twitter linking to a newspaper article that quotes him - and that false certainty might lead posters reading it to repeat it elsewhere as solid fact.

[EDIT: in case anyone is interested:

BMJ (Nov 2020) Trends in suicide during the covid-19 pandemic
Child Abuse & Neglect (Dec 2020) Do suicide rates in children and adolescents change during school closure in Japan?

UCL publish really interesting weekly-ish reports on the psychological and social impact of the pandemic]

Niric fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jan 30, 2021

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Speaking as a former teenage girl:

Teenage girls are psyops experts. Seriously.
Boys don't really notice as it's a bundle and it's done.
Girls can do that thing to other girls that happens in tribal societies of telling people they're dead, having everyone ignore them, and the people just wander off and die.

There's this look they do. Slightly sideways, slight sneer, scanning your body the whole length, head to toe. Then a kind of disgusted look, turn their head away from you and talk about you as if you aren't there to other - slightly cowed - gang followers of The Most Popular Girl in the Class.

When we had our O-level 'choices' and were compelled to pick a 'craft' option. I chose Technical Drawing. 2 boys chose Cookery. I was the only girl doing TD. The boys didn't care and I was very good at it, 2nd in the class - top of the class was a boy with a draughtsman father. OMG the reaction of the other girls.. horrendous.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jan 30, 2021

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I have compared my experiences of bullying with the wife a few times, and none of the kickings or threats of such compares to the systematic and protracted dehumanisation she underwent at the hands of the girls who targetted her.

And bear in mind, one of the things they leveraged against her was the idea that it was her fault her mum was dying of cancer.

Girls are loving brutal. Worst I ever got was someone casually dropping that I might get stabbed 'at some point this week.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
To this day my first reaction to someone being nice to me is "what's their angle".

The fact that it's still very much a relevant question probably hints at deeper problems with humanity.

Like the fact that adults aren't any better, they just know starting fights will be responded to in kind, and everyone's just way too tired for that poo poo.