Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

HopperUK posted:

I know it doesn't really matter and it's the future and countries are whatever but Minsk is in Belarus.

Soviet Union, which we know is still a thing in the future (from TNG, ironically, not even TOS)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

Point is Worf lived in Eastern Europe or Asia for like at least a few years and is all “oh well I guess I will take care of your ‘Animal’” as he grabs spot like he hasn’t had fifteen cats jumping on him for most of his adult life. YouTube doesn’t lie to me, I assume that happened all the time there.

Mom all going on about how kid Worf used to only eat Blood Pie and then on Enterprise he’s eating turkey and poo poo with nary a grimace. I feel for the guy in that he’s had a tough life but man, he didn’t deal with it well. And then he goes and joins the Klingons and they hate him too.

Worf had a tough break what with the dad murder, but then he ended up in a loving family that allowed him to explore his own heritage, with the best job and educational opportunities, and a crew that puts up with his poo poo and acts respectfully as hell toward him even though he’s completely erratic. But he basically doesn’t want to fit in. A total opposite of Data, who started with nothing and is actually alien and constantly does his best to belong to and appreciate the society he lives in. Worf is just the most miserable character, also he’s a bad father. I love it.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Worf sucks and it owns.
O'Brien gets hosed and it owns.

Anyway Nog is a top tier ST character.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Insanite posted:

Whoa, I will not accept this libelous talk about Ensign Ro. Easily the coolest ex-Federation officer in TNG. Wish Forbes hadn’t turned down DS9.
But then we wouldn't have had Kira, so as tough a choice as it is... nah.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I've been watching more Voyager Season 2 episodes, and I had completely forgotten how many episodes just take place on the ship. There are also a lot of easily forgettable ones.

Elogium- Basically the 'Kes becomes fertile before she is supposed to because some interstellar creatures are nearby'. There is a portion of the episode where she has a dilemma that she may not be able to get pregnant again, but they figure out that because this is artificial that does not mean she only gets the one chance. A mostly uninteresting episode. I'm not even going to get into the whole concept of Kes, a regular humanoid, growing some kind of weird sac on her back that has something to do with her pregnancy.

Non Sequitur- We actually get to see some of 24th century San Francisco here which is nice (when it isn't VFX shots completely ripped wholesale from several of the TOS films). My main issue with this episode is that things are actually fine for Harry in this alternate timeline, but he still wants to go back to Voyager in the DQ with no guarantee that he will make it back to Earth. I never really bought his reasoning, because at this point he had only been gone for like 6-8 months. He is actually going somewhere in Starfleet and he is engaged to his girlfriend. The only consequences of him not being on Voyager is that Paris gets sent back to prison because he fights Quark or something, and Harry's friend who we have never seen is the one who ends up on the ship and not him. If they had made it a scenario where things went bad for Harry because he didn't get posted on Voyager, I would understand, but it's the exact opposite.

Twisted- Just a wet fart of an episode. The ship is being slowly consumed by some kind of spacial wave that is distorting things, and all of the crew's attempts to stop the wave fail. In the end the solution is that they just have to let it happen, which felt like a copout to me. The end of the episode indicates that the wave was some kind of alien communications device. In a lot of ways it is a worse version of the TNG episode 'The Nth Degree', where those aliens made Barclay incredibly smart so he could take the Enterprise to the region of space where they lived because that is how they explored the galaxy.

Parturition- One of the worst series-running things so far on this rewatch is how much of a jealous bastard Neelix is all the time. This finally comes to a head in this episode, where he and Paris get stuck on a mission together after they fight in the mess hall because Neelix is insistent that Paris is trying to steal Kes from him. They then spend most of the episode on a barely habitable planet taking care of an alien hatchling of an unnamed species. This is at least actually an episode where characters leave the ship, but the whole Neelix/Paris fighting is just annoying.

Persistence of Vision- Janeway starts having hallucinations that the characters from her holodeck program are following her around the ship. The crew gets attacked by some kind of alien that is making people get trapped in hallucinations of various things in their minds. Kes and the Doctor end up being the only ones not completely affected by this creature. The ending is also kind of a wet fart, in that the alien was never there to begin with and his ship was also not there either, and none of this is followed up on.

When I look at the upcoming episodes there are at least more interesting episodes coming, but it just seems like there is a long period where the running plotlines of the show are just not mentioned.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

TBF in Non Sequitir, wouldn't that alternate timeline have been one in which the Kazon got the Caretaker and killed the Ocampa or something? That would have been a good reason to go back. I haven't seen it in a while but am sure that was never mentioned in the episode though.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Rob Rockley posted:

Mom all going on about how kid Worf used to only eat Blood Pie and then on Enterprise he’s eating turkey and poo poo with nary a grimace. I feel for the guy in that he’s had a tough life but man, he didn’t deal with it well. And then he goes and joins the Klingons and they hate him too.

I was watching the first K'Ehleyr episode again recently and it just struck me that Worf is like some kind of hyper-Klingon golem or something. He gets laid once and wants to bond for life? Does that ritual even exist in contemporary Klingon society? When Riker was on the Pagh those Klingon ladies probably weren't looking for husbands when they were eyeing him, and somehow I doubt their greater society operates on the strictest ultraconservative save-yourself-for-marriage values either.

That said, calling him a Klingaboo is pretty gross because, you know, he's actually a member of the race-slash-species he's cargo culting, which just makes it all the sadder. Someone could've asked the Klingon Empire for a cultural exchange visit at some point.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Drink-Mix Man posted:

TBF in Non Sequitir, wouldn't that alternate timeline have been one in which the Kazon got the Caretaker and killed the Ocampa or something? That would have been a good reason to go back. I haven't seen it in a while but am sure that was never mentioned in the episode though.
That’s never brought up

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

McSpanky posted:

I was watching the first K'Ehleyr episode again recently and it just struck me that Worf is like some kind of hyper-Klingon golem or something. He gets laid once and wants to bond for life? Does that ritual even exist in contemporary Klingon society? When Riker was on the Pagh those Klingon ladies probably weren't looking for husbands when they were eyeing him, and somehow I doubt their greater society operates on the strictest ultraconservative save-yourself-for-marriage values either.

That said, calling him a Klingaboo is pretty gross because, you know, he's actually a member of the race-slash-species he's cargo culting, which just makes it all the sadder. Someone could've asked the Klingon Empire for a cultural exchange visit at some point.

When that happened I wondered aloud if that was the first time he’d ever gotten laid or what.

And the thing is, he did go visit the relatives on Q’ono’s’ or whatever Klingon Homeworld, they mention that a couple times!

Worf is hosed up, yall. He’s so hosed up. That’s all I’m here to talk about now.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

So, I'm nearly done with my TNG rewatch. Is there a good curated list of the good/interestingly bad episodes of Voyager I could use that for, because there is no way in hell I'm going to do a full replay of that show

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

multijoe posted:

So, I'm nearly done with my TNG rewatch. Is there a good curated list of the good/interestingly bad episodes of Voyager I could use that for, because there is no way in hell I'm going to do a full replay of that show

Just watch DS9 again.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

McSpanky posted:

Worf is like some kind of hyper-Klingon golem

I can't read Klingonese too well, but that could be "LIFE" scratched into his forehead.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Insanite posted:

Watching TNG S6E25, "Timescape," right now.

Picard is discussing his attendance at a physiognomy lecture.

Hmmm.

It's actually a lecture about how to overcome prejudices when dealing with aliens who look goofy as hell.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Epicurius posted:

Soviet Union, which we know is still a thing in the future (from TNG, ironically, not even TOS)

Besides referring to St. Petersburg as "Leningrad", what other reference to the Soviet Union still being around in the 23rd/24th centuries is there?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Pretty much this https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/SS_Tsiolkovsky_dedication_plaque

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Basically.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Rob Rockley posted:

Yeah lol I rewatched a couple S1 and S2 episodes a bit ago (don’t skip episodes unless you are gonna die in like two weeks and TNG is on your bucket list for some reason),

The less I have to endure Tasha Yar and Pulaski, the better my life becomes.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

McSpanky posted:

i got the impression that they almost got married once before and they walked away from it and Worf wants to pick up right where they left off and K'Ehleyr is all, "what dude no".

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Yeah, Worf doesn’t want to get married just because they hooked up again. He wants to get married because he never got over her after their last relationship.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The first time he hooks up with Jadzia he says something to her about they have to get married now

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I just watched the episode recently, and I got the impression that they were slightly dating in the server of dinner and a movie, and Worf came on way too strong, and she just called it off before it got serious. I believe Worf was a virgin prior to that episode, and just has a weird interpretation of klingon traditions.

Also, clearly Russia uses WWIII as an excuse to annex Belarus, placing Minsk in Russia, which then proceeds to change it's name back to USSR.

The interesting bit is that Worf should be a native Russian and/or Belarusian speaker.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I know Disco kinda did it already with the UT going haywire, but I would have loved an outright failure of it and everyone is speaking their native languages. Picard is speaking French, Worf Russian, Crusher some crazy moon colony dialect, Barclay talks like a cowboy for some inexplicable reason

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
https://mobile.twitter.com/davidclarke76/status/1218420791651393536

Hypothesis: they both bought the same shirt from Garak while they were visiting DS9.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

LongDarkNight posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/davidclarke76/status/1218420791651393536

Hypothesis: they both bought the same shirt from Garak while they were visiting DS9.

He said each piece was one of a kind! WHAT WON'T HE LIE ABOUT

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

But doctor, this IS one of a kind of shirts I manufacture!

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

FlamingLiberal posted:

I've been watching more Voyager Season 2 episodes, and I had completely forgotten how many episodes just take place on the ship. There are also a lot of easily forgettable ones.

[Dull episodes snipped]

When I look at the upcoming episodes there are at least more interesting episodes coming, but it just seems like there is a long period where the running plotlines of the show are just not mentioned.
There are basic dramatic writing questions like "which characters are in conflict?" and "who has to make a difficult decision?" that were apparently never asked in the creation process of way too many Voyager episodes. (It's true of all Trek shows to varying degrees, but Voyager was especially bad about it, particularly in the early seasons.) Too many stories were just "things happen, get worse, then the crew do [TECH] and escape".

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

That one where Voyager is duplicated and they send duplicate Harry Kim and a baby over to the other one is so underdeveloped. It’s like they figured a weird premise and the idea of Janeway arguing with herself was good enough. There’s no real human conflict and no good reason for the other ship to blow up or for Kim and the baby to survive other than that’s one way to resolve the conflict. Having Janeway order the ship to explode and tell Kim to go to the other ship because they need one just makes her seem like a psychopath.

Surely there could be a more natural way to blow up the other ship and get those two characters onto the other one first?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Payndz posted:

There are basic dramatic writing questions like "which characters are in conflict?" and "who has to make a difficult decision?" that were apparently never asked in the creation process of way too many Voyager episodes. (It's true of all Trek shows to varying degrees, but Voyager was especially bad about it, particularly in the early seasons.) Too many stories were just "things happen, get worse, then the crew do [TECH] and escape".
Yes that is a good number of episodes

It’s really just amazing to compare like early DS9 with early Voyager

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

McSpanky posted:

Well, the alternative would be equating him with the Klingon fundamentalist terrorists who were the first non-Worf Klingons in TNG. I guess most of fundamentalism is basically the equivalent of being a weeb for a culture you're already part of, constantly harkening back to a halcyon age you've vaguely heard about but have no real experience with and trying to undo all the recent changes.

Worf was constantly judging Klingons who were raised by Klingons as being somehow lesser than their heritage should make them, and he said a lot of things about how the empire isn't like it used to be and has grown weak from recent developments, but I don't think he ever put two and two together on how the halcyon days of the empire were full of more brutality and conquest. Maybe TOS Klingons back before they really developed the whole warrior-race concept and were more of a USSR stand-in were less arbitrarily violent?

I'm not sure Worf ever really clarified what the Federation and being part of Starfleet meant to him personally beyond just those being the people who were his family that he grew up with. He left Starfleet a few times to deal with Klingon business, and he could've easily positioned himself as a Klingon aristocrat, but he slinked back every time.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

SlothfulCobra posted:

I'm not sure Worf ever really clarified what the Federation and being part of Starfleet meant to him personally beyond just those being the people who were his family that he grew up with. He left Starfleet a few times to deal with Klingon business, and he could've easily positioned himself as a Klingon aristocrat, but he slinked back every time.

Part of that was that his family was disgraced and had lost any official rights and status that they had (because he agreed to a coverup because the truth of what had happened at Khitomer would have been politically disruptive). So he couldn't really go back, or if he did, he couldn't have gone back with any status.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Epicurius posted:

Part of that was that his family was disgraced and had lost any official rights and status that they had (because he agreed to a coverup because the truth of what had happened at Khitomer would have been politically disruptive). So he couldn't really go back, or if he did, he couldn't have gone back with any status.

Eventually the Klingon Civil War (which he had accepted dishonor to try to avoid) resulted in him regaining his honor and status.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

HD DAD posted:

I know Disco kinda did it already with the UT going haywire, but I would have loved an outright failure of it and everyone is speaking their native languages. Picard is speaking French, Worf Russian, Crusher some crazy moon colony dialect, Barclay talks like a cowboy for some inexplicable reason

That would be amazing, especially since presumably no one would have learned to speak any foreign language because why would you?

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BonHair posted:

That would be amazing, especially since presumably no one would have learned to speak any foreign language because why would you?

Which still raises questions as to how the UT lets foreign languages slip through for things like expletives, random greetings, etc. I forget if Picard ever did it in the show but the novels loved to have him say "merde" now and again.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Angry_Ed posted:

Which still raises questions as to how the UT lets foreign languages slip through for things like expletives, random greetings, etc. I forget if Picard ever did it in the show but the novels loved to have him say "merde" now and again.

The only time I can remember it was an early episode where he's in his ready room or something. I'm pretty sure it was one of the early ones because I remember it having dramatic lighting, and not the brightly lit blandness of the later seasons.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Angry_Ed posted:

If I had to guess it detects the context of language changes. If you're having a conversation while cooking it knows you didn't want to say "ranch eggs" and lets huevos rancheros through untranslated.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

8one6 posted:

If I had to guess it detects the context of language changes. If you're having a conversation while cooking it knows you didn't want to say "ranch eggs" and lets huevos rancheros through untranslated.

The Universal Translator being the final form of Talk to Transformer might explain some things.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

The only time I can remember it was an early episode where he's in his ready room or something. I'm pretty sure it was one of the early ones because I remember it having dramatic lighting, and not the brightly lit blandness of the later seasons.

The amount of klingon being spoken is essentially the same. Best example is the romulan defector calling Worf a petaQ, because that clearly says that he's gone to great lengths understanding Klingons and still considers them inferior. But all the other examples of Worf being a klingaboo count as well.

Also with I would have loved the occasional Russian expletive, or even less likely, O'Brien resorting to Gaelic Irish. Actually, that's my headcannon now: O'Brien is a monolingual Irish speaker.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
O'Brien does get bollocks in a few times.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
The Universal Translator is magic just as much as the automatic doors. Don't overthink it.

In the meantime Chakotay had 2 spies on his team and didn't even know. What a dipshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The universal translator translates every language into Esperanto, which is taught to all children in the Federation. Vulcans also speak Interlingua. English is extinct and all ethnic Anglos are actually speaking Spanish whenever we see them alone.