Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

D-Pad posted:

Got some new ones

Penguin press '45. Some dime store WW2 psychology:

This is a 2nd ed of this particular princeton press printing from '45:

First ed signed, been looking for this for a while:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

D-Pad posted:

Got some new ones

Rad!

I read all of Neal Stephenson's books from The Big U up through Cryptonomicon 12 or 13 years ago. I liked them, but they just kept getting longer and my time kept getting stretched too thin, so I haven't kept up with his stuff.

The other books are great as well. Nice score(s)!

How's Psychology for the Fighting Man? I want to read that.

Gutter Phoenix fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Nov 21, 2020

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Yeah Cryptonomicon is one of my favorites of his. I haven't really liked anything he put out after Anathem, which I also have signed copy of.

Haven't read psych of the fighting man yet but I am looking forward to it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

D-Pad posted:

Got some new ones

Neal Stephenson's signature looks like Armas Paskiainen:

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

The terrible secret of space... :stonk: the Mods, they knew!

D-Pad posted:

Yeah Cryptonomicon is one of my favorites of his. I haven't really liked anything he put out after Anathem, which I also have signed copy of.

Haven't read psych of the fighting man yet but I am looking forward to it.

Picked up a signed copy of The Big U a while ago.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).
My wife just told me that Penguin/Random House bought Simon & Schuster. These corporate mega-mergers stifle weirdness and variety, so that's a bummer.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/25/books/simon-schuster-penguin-random-house.html

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

The collection grows.

1974 reprinting of Symzonia, considered the first true science fiction book in the US. Published in 1820 about a journey to the center of the earth, 50 years before Jules Verne. This was the first reprinting since the original issue. There is one true first edition on AbeBooks for $12k so this is as close as I can get.

Signed limited edition:

A random old paperback I found that I haven't read yet. I've said my whole life I would be a space janitor if it meant I could go live in space so a book about one is perfect for me:

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

D-Pad posted:

A random old paperback I found that I haven't read yet. I've said my whole life I would be a space janitor if it meant I could go live in space so a book about one is perfect for me:

This is based on an old Infocom text adventure game from the 80s of the same name. They came out with a half dozen or so different computer-game-to-book titles, including their most famous game, Zork.

I actually read this a few years ago and it was...not good. It's a bit of a shame because the game it's based on was (and is) pretty well-regarded. There's also a sequel book (and computer game) called Stationfall.

Hilariously, this book and Stationfall were part of a planned trilogy, and the second one advertises the final book in the series...but by then it was the late 80s, text games were on the way out, and Infocom was losing money hand over fist, so it just never got written, meaning the second book ends on a cliffhanger that never gets resolved.

As I recall there's some pretty uncomfortably :yikes: stuff about the protagonist and an underage character that would definitely not fly in 2020, but I don't remember if it's in this book or Stationfall.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I think I read the Zork tie-in book when I was a teenager. If it's the one I remember, the twist of the book was that the real protagonist wasn't the adventurer, it was the minor deity who was guiding/guarding them? Not really a mind-blowing concept, but as a kid I thought it was neat, and I think it's a moderately clever way of working with the player/character divide in text adventures.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

D-Pad posted:

I'm sure I got Planetfall (the game) for free on gog.com but now I can't even find it on the site. It's still in my GOG library though :shrug:

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Today is my birthday and I made a big score at the local used book store:

This is a (signed!) 2nd printing of the first paperback edition released in the UK. No idea how it ended up in a used book store in Texas.

And this giant coffee table book. It was sealed when I got it but gently caress that this is something to be enjoyed:

D-Pad fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Dec 11, 2020

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Happy Birthday!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Gutter Phoenix posted:

Happy Birthday!

Now THAT’S a coffee table book I would be proud to display at home.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

D-Pad posted:

Today is my birthday and I made a big score at the local used book store:

This is a (signed!) 2nd printing of the first paperback edition released in the UK. No idea how it ended up in a used book store in Texas.

Strong nostalgia energy seeing that photo.
I had that edition I'm pretty sure from library discards.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Got another beauty in today. This thing is gigantic and weighs 16lbs. It goes well with the giant hip hop book I posted a few posts upthread. Taschen still has copies of this in stock and I HIGHLY recommend it for anybody who likes this kind of art. It's a beautiful book, and each of the artist title pages have a print that comes off the page if you want so you can frame it or whatever.

Here is an example of one of the removable prints I mentioned. There is one for each of the major artists featured:

Edit:

Forgot this came in since my last post:

10th Anniversary Limited Edition of Way of Kings

D-Pad fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jan 5, 2021

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I'm the nude person being tongue-lassoed by an Aliexpress decanter.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

If you told me this book was a put-on by Richard Ayoade and Matthew Holness, I'd believe it.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I would like to know more about the Terrible Sand Pit Tragedy

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Heath posted:

It wasn't nice.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

How can this book have been written in 1994 while also telling the story of the Something Awful Forums, “Alarming Gas Explosion”? Can this man tell the future?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Heath posted:

i went to the beach after planning for months and got sand in my pits and it hurt, so my day was ruined

a loving tragedy

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Blue Moonlight posted:

How can this book have been written in 1994 while also telling the story of the Something Awful Forums, “Alarming Gas Explosion”? Can this man tell the future?

Are there even non-alarming gas explosions?

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

Blue Moonlight posted:

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Are there even non-alarming gas explosions?

According to James Joyce, yes.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Someone found a J'ai Lu cover weirder than the one from The Hobbit I posted some time ago.

https://twitter.com/SFRuminations/status/1355708781095759875

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

More!

This next one I was on the fence about until I saw the sticker inside:

My artist edition of Fahrenheit 451 from Suntup came in. As usual it is absolutely gorgeous. Can't recommend Suntup enough if you like fine press limited editions:

After the book it has a whole other section:

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

Ornamented Death posted:

Someone found a J'ai Lu cover weirder than the one from The Hobbit I posted some time ago.

https://twitter.com/SFRuminations/status/1355708781095759875

From further down that thread:

https://twitter.com/SFRuminations/status/1355710482154459146

From memory, the naked catgirl with the prehensile tail is a major character.

E: Spoilered for kitty titties.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Another great find. First edition of a 70s diet book by none other than Dr. Death himself. This was self published by him so not a lot of copies out there.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
That’s a really clever cover design.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

That's awesome! I've never seen that.

I just looked for other books by him and saw this:

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I now desperately want to read A Pictorial History of Philosophy by Dagobert D. Runes

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Not hugely weird , but an odd read

The sequel to 2001 a space Odyssey

2010 the Odyssey continues

It's an odd one, that has the impression of watching a B-movie where the screenwriter was obsessed with explaining himself to the detriment of the story, buuut the cinematographer was really talented

Like it has beautiful descriptions of passing by planets and appreciating the scale of them and the science feels like science rather than magic

But drat you can tell the page adhere he gave up and went to the pub

•might wanna take a second pass at this one Arthur

•"the scene is like...uhhh...hmmm...uhhh, read lord of the rings? Like that"

It's enjoyable in the way that something is so bad it's good

Jestery fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Feb 11, 2021

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Jestery posted:

Not hugely weird , but an odd read

The sequel to 2001 a space Odyssey

2010 the Odyssey continues

There are two more books in that series. 2061 and 3001.

im saint germain
Jan 30, 2021

i've come from the future to tell you all we have to stop party rock before it returns
these are pretty interesting

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Ornamented Death posted:

There are two more books in that series. 2061 and 3001.
I'm normally an audiobook kinda guy and part of the reason I'm reading it is because the 2010 audiobook is only available in German , but the other two sequels are in English

I'm excited to see the pulpyness of the two others aswell

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Jestery posted:

But drat you can tell the page adhere he gave up and went to the pub

•might wanna take a second pass at this one Arthur

•"the scene is like...uhhh...hmmm...uhhh, read lord of the rings? Like that"

These examples both seem fine to me? What's wrong with the phrase "he was really very good"?

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Tiggum posted:

These examples both seem fine to me? What's wrong with the phrase "he was really very good"?

Its the explicitness of them that kinda gets me

Like "he was really very good" just makes me want to get out the read pen, circle it and write "try explaining how he is good, show don't tell"

The author has so deftly described stuff prior in the book that hitting "he was really very good" just feels wholey out of place.

And the Lord of the rings one, again is just explicitly giving reference rather than working it in

It's not a character saying something like

"Reminds me of something out of the depths of a tolkien book" "da comrade, Mordor" it's going point blank to the camera "hi there reader, it's like that other epic book series , you know lord of the rings? Yeah that one"

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I'm willing to give a pass to someone describing a player's musical skill in a written format by just straight up saying he's good at it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Fair cop, it just something that jumped out at me