Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

Indiana_Krom posted:

A little late, but seriously gently caress that guy. Assuming everyone did what he is suggesting, how many millions of people would die? Like "Congratulations, you killed 0.3% of the population, cementing your position as the biggest mass murderer in history!".

I think someone said it in this thread previously, but if someone told you that there's a 99.7 % chance you would survive your airplane flight, you would go "gently caress no I ain't getting on that plane".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I was about to contest that, but then I remembered I was on a plane that got struck by lightning once. I had it explained to me that yeah, that's just a thing that happens about once a year, or on approximately 0.3% of flights.

gently caress no I ain't getting on that plane.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

I'm too lazy to scrounge up old toons for 1:1 comparisons, and the worst of the wingnut cartoonists do a pretty good job of memory-holing their poo poo, but just remember all those cartoons about ebola in '14 compared to the "it's just the sniffles, dumb libs" ones from last year.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

D.N. Nation posted:

I'm too lazy to scrounge up old toons for 1:1 comparisons, and the worst of the wingnut cartoonists do a pretty good job of memory-holing their poo poo, but just remember all those cartoons about ebola in '14 compared to the "it's just the sniffles, dumb libs" ones from last year.
And they all abruptly stopped after the midterms. It was so transparent.

Trump himself thought Obama should resign after like four deaths in US.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
Garrison has been really boring since his cult leader went down.
Like I expected him to make nothing but "TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP STOLEN STOLEN STOLEN" for at least a couple months.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

I wonder how much the fash have secretly soured on Trump when his coup attempt failed and he didn't show up in a generalissimo uniform and personally behead Pence for treason on 1/6

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Lodin posted:

If we take free speech seriously

Then we also have to let those who we fear to be heard.
(That's ABB, the guy who blew a bomb and shot a bunch of kids.)

The gently caress? What is this even trying to say?

Free speech doesn't mean "You are allowed to murder people".

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Captain Kosmos posted:

Someone had been dropping Covid-19 propaganda leaflets in mailboxes at Turku. That's what the cartoon is probably referring to.

https://yle.fi/uutiset/osasto/news/turku_residents_seeing_covid_conspiracy_pamphlets/11760409

Strange, the coloring and layout let this thing look like some old journals I've seen from the 70s

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

IKEA shelves are really loving sturdy though? Also, nothing interesting has happened the last month according to Fishman.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Lodin posted:

what a boring weirdo

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

What mob, Stantis? Who is chasing off the poor, reasonable Republican?

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

the_steve posted:

What mob, Stantis? Who is chasing off the poor, reasonable Republican?

Who's to say? I think both sides are equally at fault.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

https://twitter.com/thenib/status/1355236017242968066?s=21

This one got a laugh out of me, so maybe it’s the wrong thread.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

D.N. Nation posted:

Who's to say? I think both sides are equally at fault.

You know if the Democrats hadn't pushed the GOP the way they did, then they wouldn't have had to turn to Trump. So, if you think about, this really is entirely the Democrats fault.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

"I disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. Specifically, other people's deaths."

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on the woes of Boris Johnson – With support for Scottish independence rising, a furore from the fishing industry over the Brexit deal and the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, the prime minister has rather a lot on his plate"

Telegraph:

Hong Kong: China will no longer recognise British national overseas citizens

Matt:

EU to publish revised rules after Covid vaccine border fiasco

Independent:

After Henry Le Jeune.

Times:

Mail:

'Ignore them - they're probably here to steal our vaccines'

Stephen Collins:

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

I’m still a mite confused, these aren’t expats right? They’re people who are native to the colonized island and applied to be British citizens as well?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Cloud Potato posted:

:britain:

Mail:

'Ignore them - they're probably here to steal our vaccines'

Modern Britain has become so parochial in outlook that even the arrival of extraterrestrials, the most momentous event in human history, and surely the most tremendous honor for the people chosen for first contact, would be met by this island with suspicion and hostility. AGC.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Vib Rib posted:

Over 430,000 dead from Trump's handling of the pandemic but let's all fret about couple thousand oil pipeline workers!

Especially when those jobs were only temporary anyway. Like yeah it kind of sucks in a sense that they got cut loose earlier than expected but they knew they weren't going to retire doing it.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

DalaranJ posted:

I’m still a mite confused, these aren’t expats right? They’re people who are native to the colonized island and applied to be British citizens as well?

I don't think application was necessary; as far as I know anyone who was a citizen of Hong Kong when the handover took place automatically became a "British National Overseas" unless they deliberately renounced it. That status entitles them to a UK passport and consular support but not much else.

What has changed this month is that the UK has opened up a relatively straightforward path to citizenship for those people and their families, essentially saying that something like 75% of Hong Kong's population can move to the UK if they want to. China doesn't like this and has responded by saying it will no longer recognise those BNO passports, but on its own that's mostly a symbolic move because almost all of those people have Hong Kong passports as well.

NRVNQSR fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jan 30, 2021

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013

Grape posted:

Garrison has been really boring since his cult leader went down.
Like I expected him to make nothing but "TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP STOLEN STOLEN STOLEN" for at least a couple months.

No time for that, gotta talk about :stonks: !

Ben posted:

BIG FOOT HEDGE FUNDS GET CAUGHT

The big-footed hedge funds thought it would be easy as usual. They planned to stomp GameStop into the ground. They were so arrogant that they decided to sell short more shares than what existed in the stock’s float. This is known as ‘naked short selling’ and it’s illegal, but the law isn’t enforced. The SEC looks the other way. Wall Street is a big club run by mega-billionaires and they always win.

Not this time. The billionaire shorts stuck their collective foot in a bear trap. It was set for them by an unlikely adversary: The younger generation. It’s a wondrous sight to behold.

The millennials did nothing wrong. They broke no law. They followed the rules. On Reddit they encouraged each other to buy stocks that were getting stepped on by the billionaire hedge funds. They knew if enough people bought a stock such as GameStop, then the hedge funds would get trapped. That’s what has happened and now the billionaires are shrieking in pain. Their media is condemning what they call the ‘unethical’ behavior of the buyers. That’s a howler considering how the billionaire traders routinely conspire to manipulate stocks. Silver was driven down from nearly $50 in 2011 to $13 a couple of years later by JP Morgan traders who colluded and spoofed the futures trading on the COMEX. Silver could have had a run similar to BitCoin but instead the billionaires decided they didn’t want something to compete with their debt dollar. Big banks and hedge funds only suffer a slap on the wrist at best when they break the law.

Now they’re blatantly breaking the law. Robinhood rewrote rules in midstream and actually halted all buying for GameStop to benefit the trapped hedge funds. Then Robinhood felt generous. The next day they allowed buying, but only 1 share per customer per day. Robinhood’s customers could, of course, sell as many shares as they liked. Some traders complained their long positions were liquidated without their consent. Robinhood was revealed to be in the back pocket of the billionaire hedge funds. Everyone should cancel their accounts with Robinhood. They do not promote a free market. Someone at Robinhood needs to go to prison.

The fireworks should continue next week. I expect the corporate media to get even more shrill if the prices continue to rise on those companies targeted by the hedge funds. They’ll probably say the longs are engaging in destructive behavior, while the exact opposite is true. It’s difficult for CNBC to defend shorting because the purpose of the trade is to hurt companies for private gain. The mega rich get mega richer by shorting, which is not defensible. Naked shorting is criminal.

Fictional Gordon Gekko was once asked, “Why did he needed to wreck a company,” and he replied, “Because it’s WRECKABLE, all right?!

It’s easier to quickly destroy for profit than build something over time for that same profit. The hedge funds profit from misery. Now it’s their turn to be miserable. If they are forced to pay up, look for the stock market to crash. Wall Street will have to pop the bubble to cover their shorts. This is what should happen in a free market. It’s a lesson that went unlearned in 2008 when the taxpayers bailed out corrupt Wall Street bankers instead of letting them fail.

Let them all fail now. They’ve put their big foot in it and they should get what they deserve.

—Ben Garrison

It's a shame the bigfoot is being used to represent hedge funds. I like the idea of bigfoot keep-on-truckin' through the forest, fists full of cash, heart full of confidence. :3:

Oh, Ben also stuck this in the text block, just after "a wondrous sight to behold":

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

What a weird meme.
Are you confessing to being a destructively proud person gradually ruining the life of everyone around him?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Raised By Birds posted:

A bad metaphor, terribly executed.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Raised By Birds posted:

It's a shame the bigfoot is being used to represent hedge funds. I like the idea of bigfoot keep-on-truckin' through the forest, fists full of cash, heart full of confidence. :3:

Give a thought for Bigfoot, born with one foot ten times larger than the other. I guess that is where he gets his name

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

lmao at garrison giving the millenials pin trump hair because in his brain that's now synonymous with power and intelligence

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Cowcaster posted:

lmao at garrison giving the millenials pin trump hair because in his brain that's now synonymous with power and intelligence

That's actually the logo for Wallstreetbets, I have no idea if it is actually based off Trump.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

aw

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The younger generation: people ages 30-39.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

CuddleCryptid posted:

Give a thought for Bigfoot, born with one foot ten times larger than the other. I guess that is where he gets his name

Well, yeah. That's why it's "Bigfoot" not "Bigfeet".

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I can't stop looking at Bigfoot's arms.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Ballz posted:

https://twitter.com/thenib/status/1355236017242968066?s=21

This one got a laugh out of me, so maybe it’s the wrong thread.
It makes me curious if the qanon people looked for hidden meaning in YMCA. I mean, other than homosexuality.

Not curious enough to search for it though.

Mistikman
Jan 21, 2001

I was born ready. I'm Ron Fucking Swanson.

RoboRodent posted:

I can't stop looking at Bigfoot's arms.

His left arm is definitely dislocated.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

The younger generation: people ages 30-39.

Millennials are old now.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
I would hazard a guess and say most of the people on the trading desks of hedge funds or even managers actually are Millenials now.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Imagine becoming a political cartoonist when you have ABSOLUTELY zero creativity or writing skills. Just being this banal.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

It's made by a cat lady who's turned 30 and still makes the same comics she did at 15.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Lodin posted:

I gotta say I get a kind if MAD WHITEY vibe from this, because she looks the exact same in every cartoon.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Raised By Birds posted:

Oh, Ben also stuck this in the text block, just after "a wondrous sight to behold":

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

quote:

Silver could have had a run similar to BitCoin but instead the billionaires decided they didn’t want something to compete with their debt dollar.

I love everything about this sentence.