Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
So I made way too much grenadine today. Besides zombies and hurricanes (which is why I made it), what are some other fantastic cocktails to help me use up all this red stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Mr. Wiggles posted:

So I made way too much grenadine today. Besides zombies and hurricanes (which is why I made it), what are some other fantastic cocktails to help me use up all this red stuff?

A Monkey Gland is really great with real grenadine (and fresh orange juice). Of course, as with almost everything worth drinking, it doesn't use much of it!

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I love a good Clover Club, but it also doesn't use much.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
The Jack Rose cocktail is tasty and uses 3/4oz of grenadine

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

These are perfect, thanks! My lemon tree is also overloaded so it looks like things are aligning.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Professor Wayne posted:

I love a good Clover Club, but it also doesn't use much.

0 grenadine, to be specific.

Seconding a Jack Rose. A good option for a split base too, with bourbon or cognac, or I bet gin would be tasty too.

It would probably sub in nicely for the syrup in any citrus-y cocktail, like a Marg or a Collins or Fizz. Depending on how sweet you made it, it might not be a 1:1 substitution

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Apparently the clover club is also traditional with grenadine too! Thanks to this thread I also made grenadine so was looking up what to make it and found out it didn't just require raspberry syrup.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Other than making grenadine, or making a ramos fizz, anyone got uses for orange flower water and/or rosewater?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Anonymous Robot posted:

Other than making grenadine, or making a ramos fizz, anyone got uses for orange flower water and/or rosewater?

Make brioche bread

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Anonymous Robot posted:

Some recipes for orgeat use orange flower water

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Anonymous Robot posted:

both are common flavorings for persian, middle eastern, and indian desserts -- you can def find a million sweet recipes that use orange or rosewater for pastries/puddings/cakes/etc

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
They make for a pleasant aftershave.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I know you're a man who appreciates Tiki, so I highly recommend

Hell in the Pacific

3/4 oz. lime
1/2 oz .maraschino
1/4 oz. grenadine
1 1/2 oz. 151 Demerara rum (Lemon Hart or whatever)

Shake with lots of crushed ice and pour unstrained into a a pilsner glass.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
The combination sounds odd at first but the most popular n-a soda at my last place besides the strawberry lemonade was pomegranate-cucumber-mint. Muddle a bit of fresh cucumber, toss in some mint, about 1.5oz grenadine, 1oz lemon juice, 10oz soda or so, it’s really delicious

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Kenning posted:

I know you're a man who appreciates Tiki, so I highly recommend

Hell in the Pacific

3/4 oz. lime
1/2 oz .maraschino
1/4 oz. grenadine
1 1/2 oz. 151 Demerara rum (Lemon Hart or whatever)

Shake with lots of crushed ice and pour unstrained into a a pilsner glass.

Aw yeah gonna tiki this up. I need something a little lighter after all that calvados this afternoon.

Edit: oh yeah this is fantabulous.

Mr. Wiggles fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jan 25, 2021

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Glad you liked it! I haven't had a Tiki phase in a while since my heartburn got worse, but that was one of my go-to recipes when I was deep in the cups.

I forgot to post about it when I made it, but a couple weeks ago I made a new punch from Wondrich. This is one of those recipes with a sort of sketchy formula, where Wondrich makes recommendations for possible modifications. Specifically, he suggests you might up the lemon from a paltry 1.5 oz to more like 6 oz. I tried it as written and it was certainly sweet and mild. I took the lemon up to 5 oz as I tasted it. Mine was made with a mix of High West rye with a splash of Old Potrero for that extra rangy spice. The water was "3-6 cups", which is quite the range. I went with around 4.

American Whiskey Punch

8 oz. white sugar
5 oz. lemon juice
18 oz. rye whiskey
4 cups water

Oleo-saccharum with the lemons and sugar, otherwise use the peel-and-squeeze method. Melt the sugar with the juice and water etc. etc. add spirits etc. The recipe didn't call for nutmeg, but I added some anyway per serving. Again, this was bottled and shared with friends outdoors in the presence of a propane heater.

If I'm honest, this punch was just fine. I've never had great success with American whiskey in punches. It ends up just tasting like a watery whiskey sour, and something about the woody bite of American whiskey just doesn't seem to like to play nice with the lemons and the water. I suspect there's a good American whiskey punch out there, probably one that mixes it with cognac or Jamaican rum or something, maybe with other adulterating ingredients. When it comes to something very primordial like this though I would always just choose Glasgow Punch or Hollands Punch over American Whiskey Punch. That said, it definitely did the job and joviality progressed in an acceptable fashion over the course of the evening.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Tiki is mother's milk and I will always tiki.

For an american whiskey punch, I feel like there should always be nutmeg and maybe clove involved.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

I’ll frequently make a pitcher of Blood of Kapu Tiki for when people are arriving. Just swizzle everything with crushed ice in a pitcher till it frosts over, looks really appealing and people can pour into small glasses themselves.

3 oz fresh lime juice
3 oz grapefruit juice
3 oz orange juice
3 oz grenadine
3 oz sugar syrup
10 oz amber rum
½ tsp Pernod
3 dashes Angostura

For non-tiki applications, I also like a Ward 8.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
How are egg white substitutes? I want to try chickpea water next time I need an egg white because I feel bad throwing away the yolks and there's nothing I can really do with them.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

A God drat Ghost posted:

How are egg white substitutes? I want to try chickpea water next time I need an egg white because I feel bad throwing away the yolks and there's nothing I can really do with them.

Chickpea water (called aquafaba) works, but is salty and will affect the drink.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Just buy no-sodum added chickpeas.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Take the opportunity to try some new uses for egg yolks! It's one of the best ingredients ever. There are lots of actual recipes (ice cream, lemon curd, blender hollandaise, preserved egg yolk), but if you only have one egg yolk you can just add it to pasta sauce or salad dressing. I often just save it for the next time I make eggs and add it to my scramblin' bowl, usually within a few days.

I've done aquafaba and yeah it's definitely distracting, and gently caress buying low sodium.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Just fry the egg yolk on low heat until it's cooked through, then give them to your parrots and/or chickens for protein supplementation. If you don't have parrots or livestock, put them in your pizza dough. If you don't make your own pizza, I cannot help you, your name is not written in the Book of Life.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

BrianBoitano posted:

and gently caress buying low sodium.

Ok but...why?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Fart Car '97 posted:

Ok but...why?

Salt enhances other flavors, so all else equal, low sodium = low flavor. Some brands can get away with less due to high-quality beans, but if you have two cans of the same brand, and you have no medical condition, get the full sodium one.

You can sometimes add the salt back when making your dish, but if the chickpeas/beans/whatever are staying whole you'll never season the inside.

I'm mostly just whining because we had to buy some low sodium stuff for the infant and I accidentally used one in a salad and got sad.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

BrianBoitano posted:

Salt enhances other flavors, so all else equal, low sodium = low flavor. Some brands can get away with less due to high-quality beans, but if you have two cans of the same brand, and you have no medical condition, get the full sodium one.

You can sometimes add the salt back when making your dish, but if the chickpeas/beans/whatever are staying whole you'll never season the inside.

I'm mostly just whining because we had to buy some low sodium stuff for the infant and I accidentally used one in a salad and got sad.

Ok but we're talking about cocktails, and the worry was certain cans of chickpeas having too much salt.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

I bought low sodium foods and now I'm stuck in a world without sodium. There's no fix for this and it's bullshit....!

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Fart Car '97 posted:

Ok but we're talking about cocktails, and the worry was certain cans of chickpeas having too much salt.

I believe the real concern was food waste, so you either have leftover egg yolk or you have leftover bland chickpeas :shrug:

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
I feel like I can use extra chickpeas a lot easier than I can use a single egg yolk because I like them and it's zero effort to just eat them in a salad or dump them into some rice. I don't make my own ice cream or lemon curd or any of those other things. I think my best bet if I'm gonna use egg whites is to dump the yolk in a pot of ramen or the next time I make eggs.

I had not thought about the salt level though, so that's a great tip, I'll have to look out for unsalted chickpeas to avoid making nasty briny drinks.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Rotten Cookies posted:

I bought low sodium foods and now I'm stuck in a world without sodium. There's no fix for this and it's bullshit....!

:same:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r38ZpdaAX8c

Essentially a Sazerac with genever and Orinoco bitters.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Just start making your own hummus. If you already have a food processor, you basically just have to buy some tahini and garlic and you're set. (If you're posting in this thread you surely also have access to lemon juice.) Just add a little more salt than recommended and it should come out the same.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

It's a silly conversation anyways. We used normal aquafaba in many drinks at one of the bars I worked at. We had it on hand at all time for Vegan guests. I can't think of a single time the salt in in it was perceptible or an issue. You don't need more than ¾ oz and there's barely more salt in that much aquafaba than you'd have in a weak saline solution.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Just add salt to your egg whites too

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

I finally made the jungle bird and it was very good thanks y'all

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

It is a Great Cocktail.

My friend who lives near an excellent grocery just bought me 5 lb of Seville oranges. I may be able to get more in the near future, but I definitely need to prioritize making punches that call for sour oranges while the season is on. My other friend's birthday is this weekend, and we're planning on another outdoor hangout, so I'll need to decide if I'll go classic (K&A Orange Punch) pr elegant (Boston Club or Regent's Punch). I don't think this is a weekend for popping off with an entirely novel punch, but I'm not sure. I will certainly report back.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
I'm making a syrup from makrut lime peals. Trying to decide if I want to juice them and use that to dissolve the last bit of sugar or just water. Already added some everclear. I think if I use the lime juice it will be a lot more perishable, right? I want it last a long time. Also it would change the taste a lot, the juice is intense.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

If you want it to be shelf stable for more than a few days don't use the juice.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Made a few of these negroni variants lately and have been really happy with them.

1.25 reposado mezcal (Ilegal)
1.25 Amaro Montenegro
1.25 sweet vermouth (Carpano)

Stirred, big rock, flamed orange peel if you feel like it.

I just finished my Antica and opened a Cocchi, and I think that would be even better in this drink, but of course I'm now all out of Montenegro. If someone tries that, let me know if the vermouth swap is better or worse.

Also, was gifted a bottle of Haus bitter clove aperitif recently and struggled to figure out what to do with it for a while, but turns out if you swap it in for the sherry in a Bamboo, the result is really good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I just bought a manzanilla sherry for the first time in a while and find myself a bit out of fun ideas other than a bamboo or cobbler. Anyone have any fun things to their it in?

Scythe posted:

Also, was gifted a bottle of Haus bitter clove aperitif recently and struggled to figure out what to do with it for a while, but turns out if you swap it in for the sherry in a Bamboo, the result is really good!

We bought a bottle of the yuzu/ginger and really didn't like it very much. How is it straight? Your idea of subbing it in as cocktail component I definitely didn't think of.