Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
My local upscale bakery will give anyone walking in, who brings their own container, as much sourdough as they want, at no charge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos
Buy an unpasteurized sour beer. It sounds like you are a UK goon, so there are some options from Belgium. Jolly Pumpkin beers work great though if you can get them from the US. Make a starter as normal, goose it with the lees from the beer. If it is bubbling, make bread with it the next day. It will need a long rest. Reserve a portion of the dough and feed it back into a starter. Over time your native yeast and bacteria will take over.

If you are pressed for time, go to your local indonesian market and buy peuyeum starter. They have similar products in any hot jungle-y part of Asia, just figure out what it is in the language of your local store. Just crush one of those into your flour and you are good to go. There are a lot of different molds in peuyeum so the first loaf will taste different. Consider tropical flavors -- I used to use some coconut milk and dried pineapples. After the first loaf those extra esters die down a lot and you can treat it as a normal sourdough.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Got started on a "middle class" brioche this morning. Never made anything this rich!

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Boris Galerkin posted:

I made my own following King Arthur’s instructions. Take 1 part flour and mix it with 1 part water (same mass for both). Cover it loosely and let it sit. Every day dump out half of it and mix in 1:1 more flour and water. EZPZ

Wait, this is for real?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Keetron posted:

Wait, this is for real?

sourdough is just a mix of water and flour that also has some yeast from your air eating and farting all up in there

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Keetron posted:

Wait, this is for real?

Yeah

https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/blog/2012/04/05/creating-your-own-sourdough-starter-the-path-to-great-bread

Except I used 50g of white whole wheat flour cause using the amount they said seemed like a waste.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

My go-to for kickstarting a starter is to throw a handful of raisins in there and then pick them out once it starts getting yeasty.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I've got a quick sourdough question before I attempt it for the first time: The king arthur recipe says: "Make sure the container is large enough to hold your starter as it grows; we recommend at least 1-quart capacity."

I've been going through glasses and all that kind of thing that we own. We don't have anything that has one quart capacity unless I use a flowerpot (bad shape for decanting and everything) or a plastic tupperware food container. Anyone got advice about using a tupperware food box i.e. is it ok? There's "a smaller starter" recipe on king arthur's site but it's like 'lol start with a starter that you already made' so it's not for making one from scratch.

edit:

Boris Galerkin posted:

Yeah

https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/blog/2012/04/05/creating-your-own-sourdough-starter-the-path-to-great-bread

Except I used 50g of white whole wheat flour cause using the amount they said seemed like a waste.

if I use a lot less then I can just use the kind of container I would have normally, like a glass or something!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

redreader posted:

I've got a quick sourdough question before I attempt it for the first time: The king arthur recipe says: "Make sure the container is large enough to hold your starter as it grows; we recommend at least 1-quart capacity."

I've been going through glasses and all that kind of thing that we own. We don't have anything that has one quart capacity unless I use a flowerpot (bad shape for decanting and everything) or a plastic tupperware food container. Anyone got advice about using a tupperware food box i.e. is it ok? There's "a smaller starter" recipe on king arthur's site but it's like 'lol start with a starter that you already made' so it's not for making one from scratch.

edit:

if I use a lot less then I can just use the kind of container I would have normally, like a glass or something!

When I’ve made starters I’ve gone with much smaller quantities.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

i followed the KA recipe to catch my starter originally, but these days i keep total mass of the starter under 100g (and in the fridge, so infrequent feedings). when i plan to bake i goose it up a day or three beforehand

eta: it lives in a plastic tupper-near container, i don't think i ever kept it in glass

Chard fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jan 31, 2021

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

redreader posted:

edit:

I keep mine in a plastic thing that used to hold couscous.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Mine is in a mason jar in the fridge. This week I’m going to split some off and do daily feeds on the countertop to see if I can get more of an oven spring.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Thanks everyone. So I made it in a mason glass, loosely covered the top with foil and I'm surprised at how stiff it is. All of the pictures show a doughy liquidy mass resting on the bottom of whatever container it's in, but I've got some really stiff dough in the shape it was in when I pulled the spoon out, stuck to the side of the glass and not all resting in the bottom. 50g water and 50g wheat flour.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
I use the little plastic take out tubs you get from Chinese/Thai takeout restaurants. Smaller ones for storing 2-3 oz of starter in fridge and the larger ones for making ~8oz of biga/poolish/levain/preferment. They can expand a bit and the plastic top will vent slightly and slowly come off instead of exploding (unless you way overload it).

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Here's my starter, should I add some water? looks really dry.
https://i.imgur.com/sVcA2EM.mp4

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

redreader posted:

Yeah

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Just add some water. Don't over think it. The key is that you need some flour, some water, and eventually some yeast. You don't want it to be runny like pancake batter, but frankly your yeast will happily eat and fart in everything from that to gently caress near cookie dough consistency.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

redreader posted:

Are you maybe doing it 1:1 by mass? It should be 1:1 by weight.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

redreader posted:

That’s way too dry. The pictures on the King Arthur website look a bit more wet compared to mine but it should be similar to peanut butter in consistency (but a bit thinner/more spreadable) if you use a 1:1 ratio. If you don’t have a scale I really think you should get one.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Are you maybe doing it 1:1 by mass? It should be 1:1 by weight.

?

Mass is correct. Did you mean to say (don’t do it by) volume?

E: I just fed mine and it looks like this:

If I tilt the glass it starts to move over to the side very slowly. There’s a lot more than the amount I mentioned earlier cause I’m trying to grow it so that I can dry and mail some of it.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jan 31, 2021

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Thanks everyone. I used my kitchen scale and added 50g of water and 50g of flour and thought it was too dry so made the gif. Idk what happened. I added more water now and it seems more normal but now it's more like 50g flour and 60-65g water.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Sometimes I gotta add like 10g extra water at feeding, sometimes the flour is just that dry.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Yeah the strict ratio really doesn't matter. If it's too thick, add some more water. Too thin add some flour. I don't even really measure when I do feedings anymore.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

add water and stir it with your washed human fingers

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

When I made my (rye) starter I also had to use 60g water on 50g flour. It depends a lot on the flour used, some can bind more water, some less.
Now my starter is way more wet though and I can feed it with 50/50.

I tried a new recipe this weekend. 50% rye, 50% wheat and a bit of malt added for taste and color. I love it, it's really dark and has an awesome tingle on the tongue. Very crispy, too.
The recipe called for double backing (letting it cool down a few hours and then backing it once more) but I decided not to do that as it was very dark already.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

VinylonUnderground posted:

Buy an unpasteurized sour beer...

A handful of dried fruit like sultanas, or prunes can accomplish the same start. Fresh pineapple skin is also rich in yeast

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

All this reading and talking about starters helps me realize where I went wrong in the past, which was: following the instructions to the letter or not at all because you hosed it up somewhere and then panic.
I can do way better with: "Discard half of the starter, add one part starter, one part water, one part flour for a feeding, consistency like runny peanut butter is aimed for. Use the discard as desired. Feed close to daily outside the fridge, close to weekly in the fridge. Enjoy all your doughy foods."
So this is what I will be trying this week.

Things I will be doing a lot with the discard: heat olive oil in skillet, dump discard in, sprinkle Fleur de Sel on top, flip once dry, on low heat until done. Yum.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

The only reason you discard anything is so you don’t end up with a metric fuckton of starter right? Or is there some other reason?

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Keetron posted:

All this reading and talking about starters helps me realize where I went wrong in the past, which was: following the instructions to the letter or not at all because you hosed it up somewhere and then panic.
I can do way better with: "Discard half of the starter, add one part starter, one part water, one part flour for a feeding, consistency like runny peanut butter is aimed for. Use the discard as desired. Feed close to daily outside the fridge, close to weekly in the fridge. Enjoy all your doughy foods."
So this is what I will be trying this week.

Things I will be doing a lot with the discard: heat olive oil in skillet, dump discard in, sprinkle Fleur de Sel on top, flip once dry, on low heat until done. Yum.
Yeah, that's about right. In my experience with it so far it's relatively forgiving, but it can take a while to really get going. My starter didn't start rising until day, like, 10 or 11. So some patience can be required.

Boris Galerkin posted:

The only reason you discard anything is so you don’t end up with a metric fuckton of starter right? Or is there some other reason?
Yeah it's this. Your starter basically grows exponentially if you don't discard.

fourwood fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jan 31, 2021

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

Correct. If you don’t discard after a feeding with 100g flour/water, you’ll need to add more flour and water for the next feed to support the bigger starter. And so on and so forth until you’re doing feeds in a 20 gallon bucket like a bakery.

Alternatively, you feed starter to build discard for the King Arthur sourdough pancakes or rosemary crackers.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Democratic Pirate posted:

Alternatively, you feed starter to build discard for the King Arthur sourdough pancakes or rosemary crackers.

Saving up my discard this week for a nice big batch of rosemary crackers! I'll make some hummus to go with it. I don't watch the super bowl, but I do snack on that Sunday in recognition of the holiday.

And why yes, I have adjusted how much starter I keep on hand so that my discard amount every week is just right for a few of those sourdough pancakes...

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

I made the crackers last week but subbed in Everything Bagel seasoning instead of rosemary and they were great

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Can I get some input please? IDK what I did wrong but I suspect "I didn't let it proof long enough before putting it in the oven". I made this recipe: https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/no-knead-crusty-white-bread-recipe, and it rose great last night in the 2 hours it was in my cold oven with the light on. I had a thermometer in there and it was like, 75 degrees in the oven. The rest of the house is about 70. I used a kitchenaid 6 quart stand mixer to mix it for about 60 seconds and just left it in the bowl in the oven for two hours afterwards, it rose to about 4-5 quarts, within about an inch or inch and a half of the plastic cling wrap I covered it with. Then I put it in the fridge at 12:30am, and took out 16.5 oz (about a third) of the mixture this morning just before 12pm.

I put it on a baking tray covered in greased parchment paper, and put a piece of parchment paper on top of the bread (should I have used cling wrap instead and got a more airtight seal?). I waited for 1H20, after making sure the thermostat was set to 70 in the house, and turned on the oven to 350 about 20 minutes in, which warmed up the kitchen a bit, not a lot. At about the one hour mark I hadn't noticed much rise. the recipe says it spreads more than rises, and I should have taken a photo of it right after I took it out, but didn't think to do that. The recipe says 60 minutes to 2 hours to rise enough before baking. About 60 minutes in I took the parchment paper off and sprinkled some flour on, which I had forgotten to do earlier, then put the paper back on. At that point I also turned the oven up to 450.

Anyway after 1H20 I took the parchment paper off the top, forgot to score it, and put it in the oven then put hot water into the cast iron pan that had been in the oven while it was pre-heating. It didn't grow much, and seems pretty heavy for how big it is. I'm sure it'll be edible but I still have 2/3rds of that dough in my fridge since the recipe gives you enough dough to use over a week, and I don't want to gently caress it up again!

All I can think of is "I didn't score it" and "Maybe it needed to proof longer". Also I used 'all purpose' rather than 'king arthur all purpose'. If anyone is interested I'll post the inside once I cut into it. This was for eating with soup so I'm sure it'll work for that anyway. I was thinking of sandwiches too but they'll be a bit sad with this bread. How can I do it better for the next 2 loaves of this, or should I just use the rest of the dough all together? I normally use 3.5 cups in the bread machine for one loaf, and this was 7.5 cups for '3 to 4 loaves', so they were going to be smaller loaves anyway. The site has lots of comments with people using it all at once for one loaf, I might just use it all together for the next loaf.

redreader fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jan 31, 2021

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Keetron posted:

. . . . huh

I'm going to have to try this.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

redreader posted:

Can I get some input please? IDK what I did wrong but I suspect "I didn't let it proof long enough before putting it in the oven". I made this recipe: https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/no-knead-crusty-white-bread-recipe, and it rose great last night in the 2 hours it was in my cold oven with the light on. I had a thermometer in there and it was like, 75 degrees in the oven. The rest of the house is about 70. I used a kitchenaid 6 quart stand mixer to mix it for about 60 seconds and just left it in the bowl in the oven for two hours afterwards, it rose to about 4-5 quarts, within about an inch or inch and a half of the plastic cling wrap I covered it with. Then I put it in the fridge at 12:30am, and took out 16.5 oz (about a third) of the mixture this morning just before 12pm.

I put it on a baking tray covered in greased parchment paper, and put a piece of parchment paper on top of the bread (should I have used cling wrap instead and got a more airtight seal?). I waited for 1H20, after making sure the thermostat was set to 70 in the house, and turned on the oven to 350 about 20 minutes in, which warmed up the kitchen a bit, not a lot. At about the one hour mark I hadn't noticed much rise. the recipe says it spreads more than rises, and I should have taken a photo of it right after I took it out, but didn't think to do that. The recipe says 60 minutes to 2 hours to rise enough before baking. About 60 minutes in I took the parchment paper off and sprinkled some flour on, which I had forgotten to do earlier, then put the paper back on. At that point I also turned the oven up to 450.

Anyway after 1H20 I took the parchment paper off the top, forgot to score it, and put it in the oven then put hot water into the cast iron pan that had been in the oven while it was pre-heating. It didn't grow much, and seems pretty heavy for how big it is. I'm sure it'll be edible but I still have 2/3rds of that dough in my fridge since the recipe gives you enough dough to use over a week, and I don't want to gently caress it up again!

All I can think of is "I didn't score it" and "Maybe it needed to proof longer". Also I used 'all purpose' rather than 'king arthur all purpose'. If anyone is interested I'll post the inside once I cut into it. This was for eating with soup so I'm sure it'll work for that anyway. I was thinking of sandwiches too but they'll be a bit sad with this bread. How can I do it better for the next 2 loaves of this, or should I just use the rest of the dough all together? I normally use 3.5 cups in the bread machine for one loaf, and this was 7.5 cups for '3 to 4 loaves', so they were going to be smaller loaves anyway. The site has lots of comments with people using it all at once for one loaf, I might just use it all together for the next loaf.
I've made this recipe quite a few times, and the most trouble I had when getting started was with shaping the loaf. This kinda looks like it might be similar, so one thought is trying to get more surface tension on the loaf before it goes into the oven, shaping it into a tighter ball. What did you do for this step: "7. Plop the sticky dough onto a floured work surface, and round it into a ball, or a longer log. Don't fuss around trying to make it perfect; just do the best you can."?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

fourwood posted:

I've made this recipe quite a few times, and the most trouble I had when getting started was with shaping the loaf. This kinda looks like it might be similar, so one thought is trying to get more surface tension on the loaf before it goes into the oven, shaping it into a tighter ball. What did you do for this step: "7. Plop the sticky dough onto a floured work surface, and round it into a ball, or a longer log. Don't fuss around trying to make it perfect; just do the best you can."?

Thanks for replying. I grabbed the dough, put it on some parchment paper on a scale to weigh it to make sure I had the right amount, then plopped it on the greased parchment paper on the baking tray. I didn't do anything on a floured surface, since the recipe was like 'don't bother too much' I didn't bother at all. I put it onto the parchment paper and like, shaped it into a ball by just sort of cupping it together and pushing it together a little bit for about 5 seconds to make it circular (I suppose that is different to an actual ball, hm!). I didn't try to get any tension or twist it or anything! the recipe didn't mention that, but maybe by 'shape' they meant something different to what I had in my head.

edit: as I wrote that in reply to you I thought, 'hmm clearly I hosed it up!'

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

redreader posted:

Thanks for replying. I grabbed the dough, put it on some parchment paper on a scale to weigh it to make sure I had the right amount, then plopped it on the greased parchment paper on the baking tray. I didn't do anything on a floured surface, since the recipe was like 'don't bother too much' I didn't bother at all. I put it onto the parchment paper and like, shaped it into a ball by just sort of cupping it together and pushing it together a little bit for about 5 seconds to make it circular (I suppose that is different to an actual ball, hm!). I didn't try to get any tension or twist it or anything! the recipe didn't mention that, but maybe by 'shape' they meant something different to what I had in my head.

edit: as I wrote that in reply to you I thought, 'hmm clearly I hosed it up!'
This is about what I was expecting. :) And what I've done many times. It turns out "shaping" your loaf is actually this whole specific technical thing! That a lot of recipes don't explain to you. So it's not your fault.

Here's a 30 second video that shows an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWA0RAAsBHg

Searching around for shaping boules will probably show countless others with varying techniques. It's taken me quite a bit of practice to get decent at it with a wet dough, but it'll probably help get a lot more rise in the oven. Some wet or floured hands are your friend, and working relatively quickly.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Woah, thanks! Watching that right now.

Also, holy poo poo this tastes good. How does this taste SO MUCH BETTER than bread machine bread? It doesn't seem at all like there was any mistake when you actually eat it, it just looks sad. The texture is crunchy and chewy and the taste is FANTASTIC. I'm glad I tried some because I was thinking of just making a second loaf.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

redreader posted:

Also, holy poo poo this tastes good. How does this taste SO MUCH BETTER than bread machine bread? It doesn't seem at all like there was any mistake when you actually eat it, it just looks sad. The texture is crunchy and chewy and the taste is FANTASTIC. I'm glad I tried some because I was thinking of just making a second loaf.
:toot:

e: now that I think about it, definitely leave one of your dough chunks in the fridge for another couple days to watch how the flavor evolves

fourwood fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Feb 1, 2021

effika
Jun 19, 2005

redreader posted:

Welcome to the joys of extended rise/resting times! The extra time lets the dough develop all the little tasty chemicals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Shaping makes a big difference in terms of oven spring. You're not going to get a ton with a no-knead recipe even in the best-case scenario, but think of it like sealing a little balloon for the yeast to inflate. You're trying to use folds and/or the surface tension of the dough being pushed around your counter to create a taut, even seal over the top. Scoring then helps you kind of decide the direction and nature of its expansion.

And yeah, even if you gently caress up, it's going to taste good.