Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
okay well that looks like an orange wearing underpants, for one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
The soundtrack for the end of the ride is just the Bladerunner end credits music.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
https://blogmickey.com/2021/01/three-caballeros-animatronics-completely-removed-from-gran-fiesta-tour-replaced-by-character-cut-outs/

violence it is then

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
this is it they’ve gone too far

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
L o l disney magic

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
It sounds like they're fixing it? But that could be bullshit. Is the front half of the pavilion still all Coco'd up? I've had people tell me they should just turn the ride into something Coco themed. I disagree. Donald Fuckin Duck needs a ride at Disney.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Jose Oquendo posted:

It sounds like they're fixing it? But that could be bullshit. Is the front half of the pavilion still all Coco'd up? I've had people tell me they should just turn the ride into something Coco themed. I disagree. Donald Fuckin Duck needs a ride at Disney.

He does, but it should be a really cool ride. And while I like Gran Fiesta Tour, he could get something even cooler.

The cut-outs don't bother me so long as they're temporary while they fix the base. Everybody kept falling over.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Stuff needs to be repaired, they don't have spares. I don't understand why people are up in arms.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Jose Oquendo posted:

Philharmagic :colbert:

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

couldcareless posted:

Stuff needs to be repaired, they don't have spares. I don't understand why people are up in arms.

i don’t think anyone said it’s just down for repairs

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

how would i even breathe on the moon?

Dren posted:

i don’t think anyone said it’s just down for repairs

I don’t think anyone said it’s not. They don’t tend to make official statements on the status of small AAs in modestly-popular dark rides.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
It's Disney, they never throw anything away. (Unless it's SpectroMagic, in which case it's destroyed with malice.)

Very likely the repairs budget has been shredded to continue funding the work that's continuing to go on despite no relief in sight for tourism/travel industries. The shop likely put these together as "better than shutting it down entirely."

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Those AAs are 50 years old. They break more often and need more attention than more modern ones.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Add Donald to Spaceship Earth.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

couldcareless posted:

Have they been replaced for repairs like this before?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Fame Douglas posted:

Have they been replaced for repairs like this before?

I can't think of a time they've ever been repaired other than quick-fixes to keep them from falling on their cute little faces. One would assume either they did cut-outs or they just let the stage stand empty for a bit.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Make a Ducktales ride you cowards

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Pththya-lyi posted:

Make a Ducktales ride you cowards

:hmmyes:

Ducktales was/is gonna be the thing replacing Agent P's around World Showcase, but just build me a goddamn ride

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I want a cardboard cutout yeti

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Pththya-lyi posted:

Make an Emperor’s New Groove ride you cowards

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

couldcareless posted:

I get it, but I’m sure there’s an amusing story about where the projector that used to be there went.

Like, is it propping up another animatronic somewhere? I thought they learned their lesson on reasonably pleasant B modes after the yeti (at least, they did for RotR and Navi river journey)

Bottom Liner posted:

I want a cardboard cutout yeti

:hmmyes:

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Pththya-lyi posted:

Make a Goofy Movie ride you cowards

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Best chance of this was splash mountain redo being you riding on the top of the car.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
It's most likely a case of "they're going into the shop for a quick overhaul, they'll be back in a week or two you nerds"

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Coasterphreak posted:

It's most likely a case of "they're going into the shop for a quick overhaul, they'll be back in a week or two you nerds"

i'm holding you personally responsible if this is a lie

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

I'm now wondering if the animatronics were even updated parts at all when they grabbed them from storage from Mickey Mouse Revue.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Quixotic1 posted:

I'm now wondering if the animatronics were even updated parts at all when they grabbed them from storage from Mickey Mouse Revue.

Even if they were, think about how long ago that was.

couldcareless posted:

Best chance of this was splash mountain redo being you riding on the top of the car.

yeah but imagine hanging out near splash mountain and hearing YAHAHAHAHOUEEEE 300 times an hour.

mission space should be wall-e themed. you're going to the axiom, fuckers.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

https://twitter.com/expthemepark/status/1355504100377550850?s=21

Oh my god this concept would be amazing. This would be Universals Rise but lol Universal.

https://twitter.com/jennyenicholson/status/1355521091280674817?s=21

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

yeah but imagine hanging out near splash mountain and hearing YAHAHAHAHOUEEEE 300 times an hour.

I think that's a selling point for me.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Obviously it's a blue sky but goddamn that looks fun as hell and wouldn't be the hardest ride in the world to set up and maintain.

Looking at this and having watched Jenny's video on the last D23 the other night, something she pointed out in that vid is rattling around my brain. That many new rides, especially the screen-based ones, are deliberately designed to be rethemed as cheaply and easily as possible when whatever IP the ride is hinged on falls out of style after a half decade or so.

Maybe it's just the post-Rona nihilism creeping in but it feels like we're rarely gonna see less and less bespoke dark rides like that concept, just an endless string of Fast and Furious/Skull Island tram bus rides with older rides getting smashed into that box ala the Cali Jurassic Park ride. Especially with theme parks taking a hit from the pandemic.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
As long as they actually follow through with a fresh re-theme every so often, I'm willing to hold off on judgement. I'm more concerned that they will build something on the cheap "because we cant just update it later" but then never actually update it.

also omg why isnt the Fast and Furious ride just Radiator Springs Racers. Just. Just make THAT ride but with the F&F characters. aaaahhhhh

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

I can imagine Cosmic Rewind being definitely made for this sort of thing. Kinda plain building, probably easy to remake. Compare that to Mission Breakout... they would have to redo the whole building again.

Quick edit: It will be a lot easier for them to keep Mission Breakout around even if GotG falls out of popularity. It's right next to an Avengers Campus. At EPCOT it's near nothing related to it. If something popular comes out that they can easily retheme within ~10 years then, yeah.

Fartington Butts fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jan 31, 2021

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

SteelMentor posted:

Obviously it's a blue sky but goddamn that looks fun as hell and wouldn't be the hardest ride in the world to set up and maintain.

Looking at this and having watched Jenny's video on the last D23 the other night, something she pointed out in that vid is rattling around my brain. That many new rides, especially the screen-based ones, are deliberately designed to be rethemed as cheaply and easily as possible when whatever IP the ride is hinged on falls out of style after a half decade or so.

Maybe it's just the post-Rona nihilism creeping in but it feels like we're rarely gonna see less and less bespoke dark rides like that concept, just an endless string of Fast and Furious/Skull Island tram bus rides with older rides getting smashed into that box ala the Cali Jurassic Park ride. Especially with theme parks taking a hit from the pandemic.

The Simpsons is just BTTF with a new film and a handful of upgrades, Transformers is just a Spiderman clone with robots and 4K projectors.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

The tweet about Universal not making effort is a bit of a hot take with Nintendoland soft opening and the Jurassic Coaster testing.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Jennys a disney fangirl I take anything she says about any other park with a grain of salt

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

BlueBayou posted:

As long as they actually follow through with a fresh re-theme every so often, I'm willing to hold off on judgement. I'm more concerned that they will build something on the cheap "because we cant just update it later" but then never actually update it.

also omg why isnt the Fast and Furious ride just Radiator Springs Racers. Just. Just make THAT ride but with the F&F characters. aaaahhhhh

The franchise has made $5.8B to Harry Potter’s $9.2B and Jurassic Park’s $5B so it should get at least 63% of the attractions HP has. It deserves it’s own island in IoA. Might need to update the name of the “race wars” attraction but there are plenty of insane action sequences in those movies to base rides around.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Empress Brosephine posted:

Jennys a disney fangirl I take anything she says about any other park with a grain of salt

Pot, kettle.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Empress Brosephine posted:

she’s saying imagine if they did harry potter level of effort for anything other than harry potter because that would be cool, what is there to take with a grain of salt

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Dren posted:

she’s saying imagine if they did harry potter level of effort for anything other than harry potter because that would be cool, what is there to take with a grain of salt

salt is delicious. that's all I can figure.

hesitantly will say the nintendoland stuff seems almost there though from the videos/pictures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

salt is delicious. that's all I can figure.

hesitantly will say the nintendoland stuff seems almost there though from the videos/pictures.

I feel like if not for the whole plague year thing then everybody would have been going bonkers over Super Nintendo World. There's a ton of attention to detail there.