Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
https://i.imgur.com/aEnS3Qz.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug

I was just about to post this you gently caress.

EDIT: nice snipe btw

foonykins
Jun 15, 2010

stop with the small talk

I mean the description of WSB is "like 4chan found a bloomberg terminal" so I'm not really understanding what you expected when you went in.

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug

seance snacks posted:

Well I've got some great news for ya because according to the host 1 minute in, this course is based off of the iexcloud API

def gonna watch this, ty

Haha, yeah, I found the vid and I'm diving in now, hadn't watched it yet.

a friend in need
Jul 7, 2018

flashman posted:

Gme stock will go up or down, gogogadget Chris will return from the probe to declare his massive gains

His edit and then probation is the most bizarre thing I've ever seen. I guess he really does have insider info. Or at least he thinks he does. Pretty ominous!

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.

pmchem posted:

hmm, attn: baddog

a more interesting play may be to sell those LEAP puts instead, at a strike far below consensus value for GME. Check out this options chain:

and the daily price for the Jan 2022 4p:

If GME stock is worth more than, say, $10/share, selling these puts could print as price stabilizes and IV draws down. With 1 CSP at that strike you'd be tying up $400 for a max profit of ~$95 in 1 year (but you can close earlier).

If there's a crazy squeeze to, say, $1000/share nobody is gonna exercise these options against you (right?) because they'd be selling you the stock at $4/share, despite the option possibly having risen in price due to IV.

We were talking on discord earlier but this feels like a great play and I’m thinking of it at the $1 strike.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

pmchem posted:

indeed, this is unusual!

I post a lot about ETFs :getin: so I'll contribute here.

fund flow is visible at, among other places, here:
https://etfdb.com/etf/XRT/#fund-flows

yup, a ton of XRT was redeemed and turned into gamestop. However, it's quite likely that's profit taking by existing XRT holders who don't give a gently caress about meme stocks, not a particular tactic to cover shorts (although ya it will help shorts because more shares will be available in general non-ETF trading). What other ETFs are GME-heavy? Well...:
https://etfdb.com/stock/GME/

but, only https://etfdb.com/etf/RWJ/#etf-ticker-profile is large enough in AUM to matter at all, and it's much smaller than XRT.

it's not immediately obvious to me how the redemption of those ETFs is gonna affect share prices of other stocks in XRT, that would take some effort

I think it would depend on who’s redeeming the shares. If it’s to get at GME shares to cover a short I’d assume you’d dump what you’re not interested in especially if you’re constantly flirting with margin calls. If you’re redeeming to avoid meme stock risk you’d probably hold onto the rest of it because that’s why you were invested in the first place. It’s trading at a premium to NAV right now which should mechanically lead to share redemptions but that could change by the hour with GME share price.

Thought experiment: if all shares are redeemed and you have a put option to assign you need to create shares. But you have to buy the illiquid underlying GME to create a share, driving up the price. So maybe the put is out of the money? Or do you go ahead and assign it based on the previous price and assign the shares at $85 even though they’re worth $95 now because of the GME shares you had to buy to assign the put? But you’d be better off just selling the XRT shares you just created than assigning them...

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Terebus posted:

I'm pretty sure they were idiot racists before the GME thing happened so it's a bit suspect that it happened when it did. At the same time though, more attention and traffic to a discord means more scrutiny too, so who knows really.
Idiots, sure. I've never seen anything racist come out of them and they're pretty unpolitical other than calling AOC mommy and Elon Musk daddy. Lots of r-word slurs, definitely even if they think they're using it as a term of endearment and not an actual slur.

The ban was a hit piece, it wasn't a coincidence that their subreddit and Discord went down & Robin Hood and a lot of other apps restricted trading in the 2 days GME was rocketing.

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:
I joined the WSB sub end of 2016 when weedstocks where getting hot. I user posted a pic of ridiculous gains from CGC/WEED options bought early that year up thousands of percent. It turned me to options like overnight. The sub back then did have solid DD on various stocks and very high quality posts about options among the usual karma whoring posts which is all you get now.

Joink fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jan 30, 2021

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
In a battle between hedge fund types and potty mouth shitlords, I’ll take the latter every time.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

RealFoxy posted:

Idiots, sure. I've never seen anything racist come out of them and they're pretty unpolitical other than calling AOC mommy and Elon Musk daddy. Lots of r-word slurs, definitely even if they think they're using it as a term of endearment and not an actual slur.

The ban was a hit piece, it wasn't a coincidence that their subreddit and Discord went down & Robin Hood and a lot of other apps restricted trading in the 2 days GME was rocketing.

You never touched the discord then, because there was a ton of over the top racism there. The meme channel was pretty much exclusively racist memes about how those n****rs and k***s needed to be killed to make america great again.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

ogarza posted:

What? Have you read the analysis on WSB 4 months ago, describing the play exactly how it is playing out?

You sound like CNBC "show me the fundamentals? ThErA aRe No FunDamEntAls"

https://www.reddit.com/r/wallstreetbets/comments/ip6jnv/the_real_greatest_short_burn_of_the_century/

It is a great read and I recommend everyone who is following this and finds it interesting give it a go.

Wow, that's actually a great read.

I'm just wondering: what has changed since that analysis. I thought GME was still extremely shorted (still over 100%) so is there any other reason why the analysis in that reddit post would not apply anymore?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Walh Hara posted:

I'm just wondering: what has changed since that analysis. I thought GME was still extremely shorted (still over 100%) so is there any other reason why the analysis in that reddit post would not apply anymore?

The existing shorts MAY have exited the market but been replaced with new shorts at the higher stock prices, which makes appreciably squeezing them harder than it would have, because it's the relative increase in stock price that matters.

The existing shorts also may not have exited the market though, people have been saying there wasn't enough movement within the short market but I don't know enough about where you'd even find that information to actually have any understanding of whether it's true one way or the other.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
I think they probably transferred their position to someone else.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Oh gently caress, I just had a friend of mine tell me he's sunk $5k into GME because he read "reports" from "expert WSB users" that the prices will moon to $25k. I don't think he's ever even looked at or bought stocks before today. I just kinda gasped like a fish out of water for a few moments.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

SLV and AG are getting in on the HODL rhetoric so that should be fun

That market is huge and idk what kind of dent could be made but hypothetically what would skyrocketing rare metals do in terms of the overall...well...planet?

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
https://twitter.com/KasparCMS/status/1355246224207609856?s=19

This level of petty is totally my poo poo. It is educational to new retail that the system will gently caress you in new and interesting ways.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

All the traffic and chatter here owns bigly but maybe it doesn't need to be a WSB clone? Disturbing amount of tendies and yolos tbh

I agree. I like that this thread usually sits in that comfortable spot somewhere between medium to long term trading and wsb trading, where there is room for both while never going to the extremish parts of one side.

edit: but i love hearing about everyone's losses though

John F Bennett fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jan 31, 2021

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
What an interesting time to actually completely coincidentally get into stock trading.

I'm not anywhere near on the level of these WSB nutters but I'm putting five hundred bucks in to start. Definitely not going anywhere near GME or AMC, though, yikes.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

nightwisher posted:

Oh gently caress, I just had a friend of mine tell me he's sunk $5k into GME because he read "reports" from "expert WSB users" that the prices will moon to $25k. I don't think he's ever even looked at or bought stocks before today. I just kinda gasped like a fish out of water for a few moments.

:sbahj:

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

GME is gonna sky and we are all going to look like big dumb brains

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Terebus posted:

Haven't heard of it but cool find, I'm going through this course because I'm a trading scrub

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfzGZB4HhEE

this vid is cool, i have the momentum trading project up and running

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Kazinsal posted:

What an interesting time to actually completely coincidentally get into stock trading.

I'm not anywhere near on the level of these WSB nutters but I'm putting five hundred bucks in to start. Definitely not going anywhere near GME or AMC, though, yikes.

I mean, it's around that time for all of us. Begining of the year, folks who got left behind are emerging from their bunkers. I pulled out EVERYTHING back in the panic times and now it's time to put some leftover back now that a vision for the future is a lil clearer.

That vision is that fuckin number goes up and I was a fool to have doubted it. Job having will happen again and I don't need some HR portal handling my poo poo when I learned to handle it my own drat self.

Bought a lootbox worth of $Nok using the app my wife uses to send cash to her hair braider. Using it as the first entry in the portfolio. Gonna set target date as 💎 🧤 and give it to my son. I had to learn the hard way it was all a lie and a carnival game, he gets to know on day 1 that it is all fugazi fugazi za wazzi it's a woozy. Equiped, he will thrive in the family business of shitposting.

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

KirbyKhan posted:

I mean, it's around that time for all of us. Begining of the year, folks who got left behind are emerging from their bunkers. I pulled out EVERYTHING back in the panic times and now it's time to put some leftover back now that a vision for the future is a lil clearer.

That vision is that fuckin number goes up and I was a fool to have doubted it. Job having will happen again and I don't need some HR portal handling my poo poo when I learned to handle it my own drat self.

Bought a lootbox worth of $Nok using the app my wife uses to send cash to her hair braider. Using it as the first entry in the portfolio. Gonna set target date as 💎 🧤 and give it to my son. I had to learn the hard way it was all a lie and a carnival game, he gets to know on day 1 that it is all fugazi fugazi za wazzi it's a woozy. Equiped, he will thrive in the family business of shitposting.

:eyepop: well now im even more nervous about a correction

:tbear:

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

cr0y posted:

GME is gonna sky and we are all going to look like big dumb brains

It seems so incredibly unlikely but at the same time the sheer mania and attention surrounding it is completely off the charts.

I don't know much about trading in general, I just dabble occasionally, but if somehow the stock ends up at some stupidly-high number like $25k, will people actually be able to cash out?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

nightwisher posted:

It seems so incredibly unlikely but at the same time the sheer mania and attention surrounding it is completely off the charts.

I don't know much about trading in general, I just dabble occasionally, but if somehow the stock ends up at some stupidly-high number like $25k, will people actually be able to cash out?

The stock “price” is the last price someone bought it at so if it hits 25k that means somebody actually purchased a share at that price.

a friend in need
Jul 7, 2018

nightwisher posted:

I mean, a week ago I am pretty sure if you told someone Gamestop would be trading at $300 they would be saying the exact same poo poo. I think rationality is out the window and there is no way to predict what's going to happen.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

nightwisher posted:

Right up until the last fund that's short gets their margin call. Then someone makes a killing on the way down, but not any of us because we can't trade that fast.

Like. If funds keep shoring it, they're at risk as long as people buy until they close their risk.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(
Will putting the money I was able to salvage from being a Dogecoin Idiot into Apple make me feel better about myself? Or should I just take it and admit I don’t know what I’m doing and try to make money in ways I understand :cool:?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

grahm posted:

Will putting the money I was able to salvage from being a Dogecoin Idiot into Apple make me feel better about myself? Or should I just take it and admit I don’t know what I’m doing and try to make money in ways I understand :cool:?

Put more into Doge, it's only going UP

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

nightwisher posted:

The vast majority won't be able to cash out at those levels, no. By definition, if someone bought at $25k then someone else sold at $25k. But anyone buying at that point is just a bagholder

The promise that WSB is selling to the public is that the hedge funds will be forced to buy all of the shares to cover all of their <$50/share short positions, and that the hedge fund is lying when they claim to have already done this. But long after the hedge fund has exited those positions, there will be a bunch of people left holding the bag wherever the peak winds up. That's why the diamond-hand meme exists; it's important to convince everyone else to not sell, to increase your own odds of selling at an ever-more-favorable price.

If the hedge funds haven't actually closed their previous short positions, then it's a huge game of prisoner's dilemma. But once they have, then the game is musical chairs; eventually the music stops and a bunch of people won't have anywhere to sit.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

QuarkJets posted:

The vast majority won't be able to cash out at those levels, no. By definition, if someone bought at $25k then someone else sold at $25k. But anyone buying at that point is just a bagholder

The promise that WSB is selling to the public is that the hedge funds will be forced to buy all of the shares to cover all of their <$50/share short positions, and that the hedge fund is lying when they claim to have already done this. But long after the hedge fund has exited those positions, there will be a bunch of people left holding the bag wherever the peak winds up. That's why the diamond-hand meme exists; it's important to convince everyone else to not sell, to increase your own odds of selling at an ever-more-favorable price.

If the hedge funds haven't actually closed their previous short positions, then it's a huge game of prisoner's dilemma. But once they have, then the game is musical chairs; eventually the music stops and a bunch of people won't have anywhere to sit.

So, invest in chair manufacturers?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Sundae posted:

So, invest in chair manufacturers?

No. Invest in dogecoin

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Invest in rope, guns, sleeping pills and anything else redditors might use to kill themselves after they blew their life savings to send a message to billionaires.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

I kind of feel bad because a lot of people think you can just plink in $250 or $500 and get anything out of it. Most of them will probably end up making or losing like $20 in the end before they give up and withdraw. Meaningful gains requires like $10,000 at a bare minimum I would say.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
So what prevents the hedge funds from making a cash deal to exit those short positions instead of having to buy stock in the market?

a friend in need
Jul 7, 2018

AHH F/UGH posted:

I kind of feel bad because a lot of people think you can just plink in $250 or $500 and get anything out of it. Most of them will probably end up making or losing like $20 in the end before they give up and withdraw. Meaningful gains requires like $10,000 at a bare minimum I would say.

I am sitting with about $5,000 in AMC right now. I am not sitting prettily.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Kunabomber posted:

So what prevents the hedge funds from making a cash deal to exit those short positions instead of having to buy stock in the market?

Nothing, and they probably did.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

AHH F/UGH posted:

Uh what. That entirely depends on what you consider “meaningful gains”. $500 in at 90 and sold at where it’s been hovering now is around a $1500 gain. Yeah you aren’t going to gold plate your yacht with it but that’s 2-3 weeks pay to a lot of people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

Walh Hara posted:

This is where they getting their info from: http://isthesqueezesquoze.com. ISFA the squeeze hasn't squoze, the r/wsb hivemind is still expecting this thing to jump an order of magnitude or several.

It's already been said but the the reason that analysis wouldn't apply anymore is if the original shorts have been replaced by new positions relative to GME's new order of magnitude since tuesday. My hunch is that what we've been seeing since then is precisely that, but I am also an idiot and this is not financial advice etc etc.

e: afaik none of the other meme stocks were ever shorted to anywhere near the extent that GME was/is, so the GME situation remains unique, unresolved, and probably not replicable.