Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

Hot Diggity! posted:

How's the record

pretty good, actually! for a $15 VdGG album it's not a bad deal, and of course I can glue the cover back together

still kinda funny to see a sleeve that's not only split open but has numerous pen marks, an almost totally white spine, and a corner crinkled up listed as "Very Good Plus"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo
Here's a fun one. C148. Seems to be costing an arm and leg now on ebay. Thank you scalpers!

Snowy posted:

Anyone know a good place in NYC to get 1200s repaired?

Did you buy your record player from a shop? You could go there and ask the guy for a reference.

zaepg fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jan 31, 2021

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

JAMOOOL posted:

pretty good, actually! for a $15 VdGG album it's not a bad deal, and of course I can glue the cover back together

still kinda funny to see a sleeve that's not only split open but has numerous pen marks, an almost totally white spine, and a corner crinkled up listed as "Very Good Plus"

So discogs doesn't rate the record and the jacket separately, I guess. Because that's bs.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

petit choux posted:

So discogs doesn't rate the record and the jacket separately, I guess. Because that's bs.

You sure on that? I always see media and sleeve listed separately. I just bought a record from there specifically because the media was listed as mint and the sleeve was listed as good and the seller was nice enough to put that it's a remaindered copy in the description. Perhaps this guy was just lazy and slammed the same rating in both categories.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Turbinosamente posted:

You sure on that? I always see media and sleeve listed separately. I just bought a record from there specifically because the media was listed as mint and the sleeve was listed as good and the seller was nice enough to put that it's a remaindered copy in the description. Perhaps this guy was just lazy and slammed the same rating in both categories.

Hell no I'm not sure on that. I'm just wondering how anybody could rationalize a VG+ rating for that.

At this late stage of the records game I'm thinking of taking some of these kinda beat but very colorful records and just selling them framed somewhere. I'm just thinking about what options are available. I've been an ebayer for like 22 years or so now and never really gave discogs a thought as a seller.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Discogs does separate media and jacket ratings but the marketplace condition filters are only for the media, at least on mobile. Theres a lot of M and M- discs with VG and G jackets.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Yeah, look again at your order page, it should absolutely have a listing of both the record itself and the jacket. On Desktop, it'll look something like this:

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

petit choux posted:

they did! the shop that sold this (which apparently is a pretty big one with a lot of positive feedback) looked at it and said "Very Good!.....Plus!!!"

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

JAMOOOL posted:

they did! the shop that sold this (which apparently is a pretty big one with a lot of positive feedback) looked at it and said "Very Good!.....Plus!!!"

In that case I'd message them a picture of that jacket and ask how they could have rated that VG+. Maybe they'll give you a partial refund. If not, leave them feedback accordingly.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

JAMOOOL posted:

Little bit of an oversight there

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Straight from Discogs. Not even close.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
My guess is either the seller looked at the condition of the jacket and said "The rest of it is nice, it just needs to be glued VG+.", is a straight up liar, or it came separated in shipping. So the disc inside of the jacket when it showed up? The one time I got something that was significantly below the condition described I messaged the seller and he refunded me a big chunk of the price. Just shoot them a message.

lament.cfg posted:

Straight from Discogs. Not even close.

A VG+ is worth half of what a NM is? poo poo, somebody ought to tell the sellers on discogs about that.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

its strange I've had 3-4 records from Discogs that were very clearly not in the advertised condition and every time it was from some megaseller with like a 99% positive feedback rate

otoh I recently bought a copy of Hosono's Philharmony where the seller refunded me $5 before even shipping it because there was apparently a click or two at the start of the record. not only did I not hear the click but the album was definitely close to NM and not VG+ as it was listed

some people are just nice I guess

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

JAMOOOL posted:

its strange I've had 3-4 records from Discogs that were very clearly not in the advertised condition and every time it was from some megaseller with like a 99% positive feedback rate

otoh I recently bought a copy of Hosono's Philharmony where the seller refunded me $5 before even shipping it because there was apparently a click or two at the start of the record. not only did I not hear the click but the album was definitely close to NM and not VG+ as it was listed

some people are just nice I guess

Those big sellers can be a clusterfuck because they obviously don't have the time or level of giving a gently caress to bother checking the condition of the records at more than a glance at best. Plus who knows if they'll respond to messages. I try and deal with small dealers and regular rear end people.

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo
What model Stanton stylus do I own?

edit - cartridge? Not sure difference. Just no clue.

zaepg fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Feb 2, 2021

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

zaepg posted:

What model Stanton stylus do I own?

edit - cartridge? Not sure difference. Just no clue.

Stylus is the needle the cartridge is the thing the needle connects to which amplifies the sound. It's kind of like the pickups on a guitar. I don' know the model but if you have any kind of stereo dealer that specializes in turntables they might be able to help. Otherwise you're left to a journey through the internet. Knowing if it's the stock cart on your turntable will basically get you that information right away, otherwise look on it for model or serial numbers.

This one is a good replacement if you're in the market for a new cart. I think it's a pretty good buy for the money.

https://store.acousticsounds.com/d/39489/Koetsu-Coralstone_Platinum_Cartridge-Low_Output_Cartridges

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Feb 2, 2021

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo

CPL593H posted:

This one is a good replacement if you're in the market for a new cart. I think it's a pretty good buy for the money.

https://store.acousticsounds.com/d/39489/Koetsu-Coralstone_Platinum_Cartridge-Low_Output_Cartridges

Petrified Coral? This is a steal.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

CPL593H posted:

Stylus is the needle the cartridge is the thing the needle connects to which amplifies the sound. It's kind of like the pickups on a guitar. I don' know the model but if you have any kind of stereo dealer that specializes in turntables they might be able to help. Otherwise you're left to a journey through the internet. Knowing if it's the stock cart on your turntable will basically get you that information right away, otherwise look on it for model or serial numbers.

Make sure you get the optional diamond cantilever.

quote:

5 Stars
It is simply stunning what this cartridge does. Recordings have a luster that I have never heard with any other phono cartridge. It goes beyond he typical hi-fi characteristics that people rave about (imaging, inner detail, etc.). Difficult to describe in words.

They have not invented words to describe how it sounds.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

The blurb in the description is just so typical high-end audio review hyperbole. Are there "professional" reviews of high-end audio where they just rip on the product? Guessing not many because they don't want to lose access to gear?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

sporklift posted:

Make sure you get the optional diamond cantilever.

Pffttt, look at this common scum who doesn't get the panda bone blessed by Pope John Paul II.

quote:

They have not invented words to describe how it sounds.

Yeah, all of HP Lovecraft's A/V equipment reviews are like this.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Any A/B blind test with audio is bound to be hilarious. Like not being able to tell the difference between monster cables and cables made out of coat hangers (https://www.engadget.com/2008-03-03-audiophiles-cant-tell-the-difference-between-monster-cable-and.html)

See also: wine.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

stealie72 posted:

Any A/B blind test with audio is bound to be hilarious. Like not being able to tell the difference between monster cables and cables made out of coat hangers (https://www.engadget.com/2008-03-03-audiophiles-cant-tell-the-difference-between-monster-cable-and.html)

See also: wine.

All the people who can afford and actually buy all that snake oil poo poo are rich boomers who are physically incapable of hearing certain frequencies because that's a a part of aging that applies to everyone. And they always have the worst goddamn taste in music too.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

CPL593H posted:

All the people who can afford and actually buy all that snake oil poo poo are rich boomers who are physically incapable of hearing certain frequencies because that's a a part of aging that applies to everyone. And they always have the worst goddamn taste in music too.

I always wonder about these fools. Do they only listen to pristine recordings/pressings that have been mastered at an approved plant? Like, they might not particularly like the music but since it is THE BEST SOUNDS they force themselves to listen.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Do they actually listen to music, or just test and setup recordings as they move their "listening chair" a tiny nudge to the rear of their reference mark using micrometer calipers?

They probably listen to Steely Dan too. Which pains me, because I love Steely Dan.

CPL593H posted:

I personally struggle with this a bit because my hearing is absolute dogshit due to 4 decades that started with massive childhood ear infections and subsequent abuse with headphones, metal shows, and loud hobbies. I can almost promise you that I would fail an A/B between a good Mp3 and vinyl on the same setup, but I'm getting back into music being a physical thing that I purposefully listen to.

stealie72 fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Feb 3, 2021

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
You all know it's pure dickwaving

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

sporklift posted:

I always wonder about these fools. Do they only listen to pristine recordings/pressings that have been mastered at an approved plant? Like, they might not particularly like the music but since it is THE BEST SOUNDS they force themselves to listen.

RED HOT STAMPERS!

Yes, there are lots of people all over whining about specific pressing plants. Granted there are a lot of good remasters with dogshit pressings going around because that's the nature of the explosion in popularity of record collecting. But I see people ranting about how they're not going to buy something that isn't even out because it came from this place or another. There's that one nutcase who owns a record store ranting on youtube about some special fancy pants 400 dollar limited edition pressing of an album he already had multiple different pressings of. Ironically is that he is the same guy who went on a tirade about the 100 dollar RSD Let It Bleed reissue. For a lot of people the music seems to be a distant second to the expensive shiny thing that only some people can have. This is why I was reluctant to even tell people I collect records until all the bandwagon hoppers got on because I had to deal with all kinds of dipshit comments about those audiophile idiots. If I had a dollar for every time someone mockingly asked me if I had thousand dollar speaker cables I'd have enough to buy one.

stealie72 posted:

Do they actually listen to music, or just test and setup recordings as they move their "listening chair" a tiny nudge to the rear of their reference mark using micrometer calipers?

It's exactly this. A while back someone posted a video of some dipshit who probably had close to ten grand in stereo equipment and there were several superfluous devices with no discernable purpose. There was one he claimed would change the sound if you slid it around the shelf. This was not a speaker. It was just some electronic box. These are just idiots with more money than sense buying snake oil.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

CPL593H posted:

RED HOT STAMPERS!

Yes, there are lots of people all over whining about specific pressing plants. Granted there are a lot of good remasters with dogshit pressings going around because that's the nature of the explosion in popularity of record collecting. But I see people ranting about how they're not going to buy something that isn't even out because it came from this place or another. There's that one nutcase who owns a record store ranting on youtube about some special fancy pants 400 dollar limited edition pressing of an album he already had multiple different pressings of. Ironically is that he is the same guy who went on a tirade about the 100 dollar RSD Let It Bleed reissue.

To be fair to that guy, and let's not be too fair here, I think he was talking about the ERC, which charges absurdity high prices for all their super limited issues. If we're talking about the same video.

Anyway, his point was that for $400, they needed to get things perfect. The cover getting severely bowed was a fair point, as was the fact that the album had numerous dropouts that other issues didn't have. He also pointed out that this had a ton of reissues, which made the price point more absurd. So I don't think his complaints were too off point.

But then you look at his stereo equipment, and it's like "dude, what's going on?" He's not completely terrible all the time, but it does start to feel like he's just throwing his money around in a showy way.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

CPL593H posted:

It's exactly this. A while back someone posted a video of some dipshit who probably had close to ten grand in stereo equipment and there were several superfluous devices with no discernable purpose.
Ahahaha I think I remember this clip and when he finally put on a record, it was the smoothest, most anemic Jazz that I knew from the second the video started up was going to be the music he was going to play.

EDIT: Also that Japanese video of the dude who's all "I spent fifty bajillion dollars on my audio set-up" in a 300 square foot apartment sitting there absolutely stone-faced while listening to music. I think about that guy a lot.

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Feb 3, 2021

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

caligulamprey posted:

Ahahaha I think I remember this clip and when he finally put on a record, it was the smoothest, most anemic Jazz that I knew from the second the video started up was going to be the music he was going to play.

EDIT: Also that Japanese video of the dude who's all "I spent fifty bajillion dollars on my audio set-up" in a 300 square foot apartment sitting there absolutely stone-faced while listening to music. I think about that guy a lot.

yea like how he's listening to music in ways I will never know

:cry:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Cemetry Gator posted:

To be fair to that guy, and let's not be too fair here, I think he was talking about the ERC, which charges absurdity high prices for all their super limited issues. If we're talking about the same video.

Anyway, his point was that for $400, they needed to get things perfect. The cover getting severely bowed was a fair point, as was the fact that the album had numerous dropouts that other issues didn't have. He also pointed out that this had a ton of reissues, which made the price point more absurd. So I don't think his complaints were too off point.

But then you look at his stereo equipment, and it's like "dude, what's going on?" He's not completely terrible all the time, but it does start to feel like he's just throwing his money around in a showy way.

Yeah, my issue isn't that they're selling subpar records. It's that people will actually pay those prices even when they have every single other pressing of the record already. I've seen a few of that guy's videos and he's a stupid rear end in a top hat.

caligulamprey posted:

And he was like two feet away from his fridge.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

CPL593H posted:

Yeah, my issue isn't that they're selling subpar records. It's that people will actually pay those prices even when they have every single other pressing of the record already. I've seen a few of that guy's videos and he's a stupid rear end in a top hat.

Oh don't get me wrong, there's no way a single LP is worth $400 on its own. However, if you're going to charge people that price, you better get it perfect.

Not that I really care, since if you're willing to pay that price, then there's something about a fool and his money I would like to share.

Which is an easy transition to his stereo setup. He has all this super expensive stuff, and it's like you know, for $1000, which wouldn't even cover one of his tables, you can get everything you need to enjoy records with pretty decent quality.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Cemetry Gator posted:

Oh don't get me wrong, there's no way a single LP is worth $400 on its own.
The second I become rich is the day I buy every single Devil Doll record. Especially this bad boy with the die cut goodness:

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

There is only one record that's worth $400 and it's green Ride the Lightning.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

JordanKai posted:

There is only one record that's worth $400 and it's green

Hiroshi Yoshimura is great, but that was repressed recently and is available for cheaper now.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I still don’t understand why this record is so expensive.

https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/853660

I’ve never seen it for sale for less than $400. It’s good but pretty unremarkable unless there’s something about it I don’t know.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Toe Rag posted:

I’ve never seen it for sale for less than $400. It’s good but pretty unremarkable unless there’s something about it I don’t know.

I'll never stop being amused at punk records being priced the way they usually are.

beeker
Dec 17, 2006

meep meep!

Toe Rag posted:

May be entirely a rarity thing? I picked this up for something like $20 when it first came out at a record store and I’ve never seen it go for a reasonable price on Discogs. I assume due to a lack of a repress. It’s a good album, but it’s not exactly ground breaking or mind blowing.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

beeker posted:

May be entirely a rarity thing? I picked this up for something like $20 when it first came out at a record store and I’ve never seen it go for a reasonable price on Discogs. I assume due to a lack of a repress. It’s a good album, but it’s not exactly ground breaking or mind blowing.

I just don't understand who is buying this poo poo.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Rich former punks who are now angel investors.

The record shop I frequent the most, I’ve been in there when a San Francisco bro comes in and spends like $500 on a giant stack of records, some rare from their “good old days” that they got rid of as kids or just whatever they saw with their eyes.

I mean I’m happy for the shop to snag a whale every now and again but dammit some of those records were killer and are probably now sitting in some collection that gets touched once a year from their penthouse view overlooking a city from their slanted building.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

dorium posted:

Rich former punks who are now angel investors.

The record shop I frequent the most, I’ve been in there when a San Francisco bro comes in and spends like $500 on a giant stack of records, some rare from their “good old days” that they got rid of as kids or just whatever they saw with their eyes.

I mean I’m happy for the shop to snag a whale every now and again but dammit some of those records were killer and are probably now sitting in some collection that gets touched once a year from their penthouse view overlooking a city from their slanted building.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_UqGtFu2eM