Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
I will probably never 100% Yakuza 0 because I cannot get a high enough score on the arcade games except for Super Hang-On for some reason. I got that on my first try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
im never going to play a yakuza game

Orv
May 4, 2011
I have bounced off three separate Yakuza games which is a shame because they are by and large my kind of fun stupid but I just do not like any part of their gameplay.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

does anyone know of a reputable site i can still buy the Jurassic Park telltale game from?

Orv
May 4, 2011
Not coming up on any of the legit aggregators so probably not.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

It was self-published by Telltale so the rights have fallen into the void

Grey market sites still have stock of Steam keys if you really want it on there, but the developers won't see a penny

Brother Buer
Oct 23, 2012

Kly posted:

does anyone know of a reputable site i can still buy the Jurassic Park telltale game from?

PM me or add me on steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/BatmanScoop

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I started playing The Saboteur after having it on Origin for years. Fun, but holy poo poo, so many map icons to clear out, and I'm only on the first Paris map. Besides watching my percentage cleared go up, does clearing the targets do anything besides make my time in each area easier (no snipers, tanks, etc)? Eventually add people to fight in the resistance with me, anything like that?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

My trouble with the Yakuza games so far is that my brain wants to 100% them but can’t because I suck at minigames and ughhh brain let it go just enjoy the story

The fact that mahjong exists in each game is enough to cure that completionist part of my brain.

I may 100% certain things like the restaurants, key lockers, hostess minigames, certain sidequests etc. but there's a hard limit on how much effort I'm willing to put into the Yakuza games.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

pentyne posted:

The fact that mahjong exists in each game is enough to cure that completionist part of my brain.

I may 100% certain things like the restaurants, key lockers, hostess minigames, certain sidequests etc. but there's a hard limit on how much effort I'm willing to put into the Yakuza games.

Yeah, I'm never going to learn how to play mahjong or shogi or the traditional Japanese gambling games that aren't high-low. The way to play Yakuza games is to just do the stuff that's fun and ignore the stuff that isn't, trying to be completionist is just madness.

Also, that reminds me, I started playing Yakuza 3, and unlike 0 and Kiwami 2, the hostess minigame is terrible. Like, it's 100% trial and error, you have to dress up a hostess to meet customer demands, but it doesn't tell you how the clothes effect her stats. I think they removed this from the original US release because it sucked and wasn't worth the effort to localize, not because of "censorship" or anything.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I learned mahjong in Yakuza 0 and it turns out it's quite fun, plus the standard AI can be beaten even by a complete scrub. They also added it to Final Fantasy XIV some amount of time back, so the official rules are now that every cool game needs to have a mahjong option.

Shogi is also cool but a little too difficult for me to really get into, it's like chess except you have way more going on with captured pieces returning to the board and whatnot.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
Yakuza owns because I have only played 0 and Kiwami which is a lot and I can't tell if I am supposed to play every game in order or if I can just play them in release order newest to oldest and just read story recaps of the rest of the series when I stop having fun playing the games any more. I want to know the entire story but man 5 games is a lot to get the big strokes. I don't trust recaps to cover all of the minute details, so I want to get as many as I can while still balancing having fun versus the point where I push through a game to finish even when I'm not enjoying it any more.

Also was there a story beat to the Majima Everywhere system in Kiwami?I just main lined the story and didn't interact with it at all since it was added to the remake part of Yakuza 1.

nordichammer fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Jan 31, 2021

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

StrixNebulosa posted:

My trouble with the Yakuza games so far is that my brain wants to 100% them but can’t because I suck at minigames and ughhh brain let it go just enjoy the story

I like Yakuza but getting 100% in one sounds miserable

I beat Kiwami 2 in like 20 hours and had plenty fun

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

bentacos posted:

I will probably never 100% Yakuza 0 because I cannot get a high enough score on the arcade games except for Super Hang-On for some reason. I got that on my first try.

This, Out Run gets on my nerves so much.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I just finished Obduction after it was recommended in the thread awhile back. definitely a solid game if on the harder end of puzzle games I've played, so I can repeat the recommendation. the "rules" of the world are pretty creative and it uses them well in the puzzle design. however it did have a couple awful cases of "know the answer to the puzzle but actually executing it requires 15 minutes just running back and forth and hopping between loading screens over and over" which dragged down some puzzles that were initially very fun to solve.

figuring out the batshit insane number system made me feel very big brain but I feel like requiring you to convert between number bases may not be super reasonable to ask the typical player to do on top of how much it's obfuscated, I definitely would have been stuck there if I didn't have some background in computering

I never played the myst games but heard they were really hard, how does the difficulty of obduction compare?

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

bentacos posted:

Same, but the baseball minigame. Those loving curveballs get me every single time.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

ultrafilter posted:

Are there any good games where you play as a bird?

Amazed that this wasn't mentioned.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

They said good. :colbert:

I kid, but I really bounced off it. Good mechanics, I just didn't gel with the story and the level design got tiresome after a while. Thought I'd love it tho!

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

ultrafilter posted:

Are there any good games where you play as a bird?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/812550/The_Kings_Bird/

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
What are some good games similar to dwarf fortress, gnomoria/ingnomia, stuff like that where you're trying to manage a small colony?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

FirstAidKite posted:

What are some good games similar to dwarf fortress, gnomoria/ingnomia, stuff like that where you're trying to manage a small colony?
I think Rimworld is the most popular choice for that.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I've heard Rimworld is in that vein.

E:f,b

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

FirstAidKite posted:

Rimworld, Oxygen Not Included, uhhh..that Cultivation game maybe? Not sure on that one.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

FirstAidKite posted:

its maybe a bit more of a stretch than the previously mentioned suggestions but Frostpunk isn't a million miles away

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

I never played the myst games but heard they were really hard, how does the difficulty of obduction compare?

I'd say it's at the Myst level of difficulty. Learning alien numbering systems is a staple of the series, though I think it was executed better in Riven.

That system is base 25 btw

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Antigravitas posted:

I'd say it's at the Myst level of difficulty. Learning alien numbering systems is a staple of the series, though I think it was executed better in Riven.

That system is base 25 btw

Figuring out the fire marble puzzles in Riven when I was 12 years old and didn't even know non-base 10 number systems existed yet was probably the greatest intellectual achievement of my life, and will probably never be surpassed.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

FirstAidKite posted:

If you vibe with mysticism Amazing Cultivation Simulator is beat-for-beat Dwarf Fortress, but instead of obsessive dwarves it's ancient Chinese superpower psychopaths. It uses a lot of the basic mechanics that DF does (assigning rooms and buildings, stockpiles and work orders etc etc) so that will be familiar to you, and piles on heaps of mystical stuff on top.

It has a lot of the insane poo poo DF does where they take the mechanics to their the absolute limit and let you do crazy poo poo. The equivalent of DF's "we dug too deep and a demon came out of the earth, so we built a trap room to automatically drown them and steal their bones to make windowframes" is "so many beggars want to join the sect we made a room for them to prostrate themselves in, where the Feng Shui is so bad they die of heatstroke and we turn their bones into magical batteries".

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

exquisite tea posted:

Figuring out the fire marble puzzles in Riven when I was 12 years old and didn't even know non-base 10 number systems existed yet was probably the greatest intellectual achievement of my life, and will probably never be surpassed.
I am absolutely useless at these types of puzzles and never finished Myst without the guide (barely even attempted Riven) but I knew instinctually how to duct tape hair off a cat's back to make a fake moustache to then match the fake moustache I penciled in on my fake ID so I could rent a scooter.

Thanks Sierra.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Life is Strange 2 Episode 1

So having played the original last year during a binge of walking simulators and being pretty struck by how good of an experience it was I ended up buying LiS2 back when I saw it on sale planning to play it, but let it sit on the back burner until now. I'm pretty fond of Dontnod as a whole from what I have played of their games, what I would politely described as islands of brilliance in a sea of passable quality. As a whole definitely worth the experience for what they can achieve with storytelling and writing on several parts, but not impressive by the actual "game" portions they push out.

Ep1 is one of those brilliant spots that I was genuinely surprised at how hard they went with episode one from a few minutes in to not being afraid to go even harder later on. It's starts in Oct 2016 and has a early mention to the presidential debates at that time, and given it was released 2018 mid-Trump they were not afraid to portray the reality of life in America not being equal for everyone. It starts off in picturesque suburbs and immediately goes into the "bad poo poo happens" territory and doesn't stop.

These games aren't referred to as misery simulators for no reason. It picks up the pace after a bit and starts getting into the real meat of the game, making choices with long term consequences, where it comes down to picking what you think is good for Sean and his little brother Daniel in their journey. It's telegraphed pretty hard that Daniel will react to seeing some of the stuff, like stealing food to survive, by perceiving theft as being a-okay whenever. It's pretty annoying when it happens but when I thought about it in context of a literal child who's at best a spoiled rear end in a top hat it's not that surprising he'll learn the wrong lessons from what he sees.

It's hands down way, way better of an intro then the original LiS. So far, having played LiS and Remember Me, both games I'd recommend for different reasons, this first episode is what I would suggest for anyone interested in Dontnod's approach to games as storytelling as it didn't have any low points for me.

I will say I also get a certain visceral sense of enjoyment playing this game as I remember there were quite a few Gamers who lost their poo poo over the game claiming it was being too political and that the game was an over-dramatic exaggeration of racism in America. Me personally the stuff I saw in ep1 was 100% believable as either things that have happened recently in real life or racist people I've come across in my time who have openly talked about wanting to do exactly that to people if they could. The game even includes a nice little "gently caress you" to those people who cry about sjws and politics ruining their games.

That it is goonbeard, that it is.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Jan 31, 2021

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

FirstAidKite posted:

there are a lot, but the only remotely passable ones are rimworld and cultivation sim. it's a graveyard genre, like openworld/crafting

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

pentyne posted:

Mahjongg is actually quite easy to complete in Yakuza. It's all about trying not to lose instead of trying to force a win every single round. Avoid grabbing a Pon or a Chi unless you know what kind of hand you can actually complete or want to go for. As long as you don't reveal your hand, you can score on basically anything, and that's usually more than enough to complete the requirements.

You need to decide early on whether you want to keep the special Dragon tiles or the scoring Wind tiles. You need to understand where they are during a match to avoid discarding a tile somebody needs. Destroy your hand if you're not sure to avoid getting Ron'd. Usually you need a single Dragon Triplet or a scoring Wind Triplet to have a valid scoring hand. It's the easiest way to win, though the hand is also super cheap because of it.

Shogi, on the other hand, is beyond me. It's good that there's a special cheat item that lets you auto-win a game because otherwise I'd never be able to do it. I just don't understand these types of games at all.

Blattdorf fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jan 31, 2021

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

already had you on steam, sent you a message

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Cursed. I watched this for 15 minutes waiting for the bird to land.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Thanks for the suggestions everybody :) Will have to look at those games when they're discounted.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The actual problem with 100% Yakuza 0 is the loving catfight arena, which is easily one of the worst minigames in the series.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

I just finished Obduction after it was recommended in the thread awhile back. definitely a solid game if on the harder end of puzzle games I've played, so I can repeat the recommendation. the "rules" of the world are pretty creative and it uses them well in the puzzle design. however it did have a couple awful cases of "know the answer to the puzzle but actually executing it requires 15 minutes just running back and forth and hopping between loading screens over and over" which dragged down some puzzles that were initially very fun to solve.

Yeah I mentioned it a while back but even on an SSD, the game’s engine was clearly not designed to shuffle between dimensions the way the game’s latter puzzles needed you to, and the whole thing became a big timesuck that kind of soured me on that particular experience.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

pentyne posted:

I will say I also get a certain visceral sense of enjoyment playing this game as I remember there were quite a few Gamers who lost their poo poo over the game claiming it was being too political and that the game was an over-dramatic exaggeration of racism in America. Me personally the stuff I saw in ep1 was 100% believable as either things that have happened recently in real life or racist people I've come across in my time who have openly talked about wanting to do exactly that to people if they could. The game even includes a nice little "gently caress you" to those people who cry about sjws and politics ruining their games.

That it is goonbeard, that it is.

It's insane to me that anybody could have lived through the last four years and found LiS2's depiction of racism to be in any way cartoonish or exaggerated. Everything Stamper said in Episode 1 were things literally 70 million+ Americans believe.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

americanzero4128 posted:

I started playing The Saboteur after having it on Origin for years. Fun, but holy poo poo, so many map icons to clear out, and I'm only on the first Paris map. Besides watching my percentage cleared go up, does clearing the targets do anything besides make my time in each area easier (no snipers, tanks, etc)? Eventually add people to fight in the resistance with me, anything like that?

The only tip I remember from playing that game is that it's not Assassin's Creed, climbing will get you killed if you're being chased, except if you can find a drain pipe on a building you can climb up really quick.

I remember that game being a lot of fun, I need to play it again someday.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

the 90's were such a cursed time
I have no idea what level of irony this series of posts is operating on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

(shameless repost ahoy)

Well, I just finished Omori, and it's really loving good. Various games have tried to ape the style of Earthbound, to varying degrees of success, but this is the first one I've played that feels like a worthy successor. Mechanically, it's pretty solid (if a bit easy, boss battles are the only time you really have to pay attention), but the story is really sublime. The ending loving wrecked me, and it's one of the few times I've genuinely felt sad that I don't get to spend more time with these characters. Can't recommend it enough.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1150690/OMORI/