Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I'm getting to the point where my supply inadequacies from stuff I set up relatively early on that are deeply entrenched in the middle of my factory are really causing compounding problems down my entire production chain. The motors in particular I just need a fuckton of. I'm at the point where I really just need to get remote manufacturing up and running for a lot of these but it's such an undertaking I get stressed and have to stop playing for a while :sweatdrop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

For my current layout I have been doing this:

Which if you wanted to pave over everything or were on a larger, less resource dense planet, you could do a bit better with each production run having a larger arc of the surface reserved and greater stratification across latitudes.

But basically the idea is each of these fabricator runs can be expanded out as needed. The only real limiter is how quick your belts can get stuff to them, and that's the point where you might want to add more logistics towers at intervals to feed/accept product, because a logistics tower can have endlessly expandable throughput based on how many drones you put in and how much research you do.

So logistics drones become the backbone of the resource throughput and you can easily just add on more fabricators and it will seamlessly slot them into the production chains.

This will use a lot of power, of course, but that's the point of the game :v:

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die
Oh noooooo, if you don't have warpers at an interstellar station the transports will slowboat between solar systems :negative:

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

mirarant posted:

Oh noooooo, if you don't have warpers at an interstellar station the transports will slowboat between solar systems :negative:

I had warpers and they slowboated anyway

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

How long do they take to slowboat the void between stars in the compressed spacetime of DSP, anyway

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Quite a while, probably like 10m per lightyear I think? I assume it also depends on how fast they are from research.

E: At 1500m/s I can go 0.01ly in about 15 seconds. So extrapolating that and assuming my ships with some upgrades continue to use their base speed to traverse the distance, they would travel 1ly in 25 minutes.

Also funnily my ships use warpers to jump in-system because the other planets are a few AU away. I assume control of how ships fly around will be something included in the logistics control they said they wanted to add.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jan 30, 2021

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

explosivo posted:

I'm getting to the point where my supply inadequacies from stuff I set up relatively early on that are deeply entrenched in the middle of my factory are really causing compounding problems down my entire production chain. The motors in particular I just need a fuckton of. I'm at the point where I really just need to get remote manufacturing up and running for a lot of these but it's such an undertaking I get stressed and have to stop playing for a while :sweatdrop:

I get sidetracked a ton by stuff like that too. Or more accurately, I end up with a lightbulb chain reaction that ends up with me getting sidetracked on an entirely different problem.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011
My solar sails have stopped attaching to the dyson shell parts and are just dying or whatever in orbit. For the first four panels I did, the sails were blue and would go towards a node to attach, but now they just turn yellow and do not move towards a node.

Edit: this is because I didn’t choose panels to fill in with build plan: shell in the build panel. Fixed now.

It doesn’t matter, I guess because I’m about to finish the final win tech and then I guess I’ll do what I have done for most of my game time- let the game idle in the background/overnight while research and production apply continues.

Game is really good, but I’m mystified by the Dyson sphere part of it. The only reason I even built the parts was to research the win tech. If you could make antimatter without it, I could have finished the game with just solar/wind power. I guess it gives a Supragoal that is post endgame.

Also since you can’t (?) beam Dyson sphere power directly to other systems, the whole sphere seems totally unnecessary for its sole purpose-power generation- and only needa to be interacted with tangentially at the end of the game to win, which seems weird.

Alamoduh fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jan 30, 2021

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

well its meant to be generating power for something else entirely within the narrative of the game, the factory is just there to make it, its not there to power the factory and do nothing else.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Hey folks, I'm way behind in this thread and I have a newbie question. How do you manufacture the magnet?

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

Mayveena posted:

Hey folks, I'm way behind in this thread and I have a newbie question. How do you manufacture the magnet?

Magnets are an alternate product that can be smelted at the smelter (or in your replicator) from iron ore, in place of the regular sheets of iron.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Jossar posted:

Magnets are an alternate product that can be smelted at the smelter (or in your replicator) from iron ore, in place of the regular sheets of iron.

Ok thanks!

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I saw a tip about building an efficient power supply around the equator of a planet via a combination of solar panels and wind turbines, but I'm having difficulty in getting enough soil to do anything with foundations.

Is there a way to easily farm soil? I can see it being a bit of a problem for me on the world I started on because there's a ton of loving water on it.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Kin posted:

I saw a tip about building an efficient power supply around the equator of a planet via a combination of solar panels and wind turbines, but I'm having difficulty in getting enough soil to do anything with foundations.

Is there a way to easily farm soil? I can see it being a bit of a problem for me on the world I started on because there's a ton of loving water on it.

Just go around and put foundations down everywhere that you see grass. When it levels out the terrain it collects soil, so as long as you're putting foundation down on ground that is above sea level you'll collect soil. I think you can collect soil on other planets too.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
What's the benefit of foundations? Just level ground and less clutter?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

RandomBlue posted:

What's the benefit of foundations? Just level ground and less clutter?

Yep. You can also pave over water and lava or whatever else there might be in the way of a thing you need to build. Foundations let you "disappear" mineral deposits too if there's one in your way, then you can "restore" them from the tool if you want it back. This won't replenish used deposits.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Mayveena posted:

Open the Replicator menu with F and hover over or click the Magnet. It tells you how to make it, as well as how long it takes. ;)

In addition, the lower flowchart can be hovered / clicked to show how to get the source item(s) as well as what they can be used for.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I like space.

It's pretty.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
e. I'm stupid, nm.

I can finally fly around off world!!!! This game is incredible!!!

LifeSunDeath fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jan 31, 2021

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

All the candy you want. Crotton crandy, crandy apple. I like to go on the best ride first. Name of roller croaster.

my dude is stuck soaring through space and i seem to have lost control of moving him, he is just flying far into space but i can't turn around or go left or right wtf

edit: it was definitely a strange bug. had to load an older save and now it works fine

Atheist Sunglasses fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jan 31, 2021

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

Atheist Sunglasses posted:

my dude is stuck soaring through space and i seem to have lost control of moving him, he is just flying far into space but i can't turn around or go left or right wtf

Your car is out of gas RIP. You slowly naturally recharge but be careful of how much you steer and change direction. Make sure you bring a decent amount of reserve fuel (I bring 4 stacks since that's your engine size). Flying is a little bit newtonian, don't just jam the gas pedal. Once you're pointed in the right direction you can take your hands off and you'll maintain speed.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

threelemmings posted:

Your car is out of gas RIP. You slowly naturally recharge but be careful of how much you steer and change direction. Make sure you bring a decent amount of reserve fuel (I bring 4 stacks since that's your engine size). Flying is a little bit newtonian, don't just jam the gas pedal. Once you're pointed in the right direction you can take your hands off and you'll maintain speed.

I almost gassed out the first time I went to another planet today, and goddamn the whole situation of steering being very very fuel heavy, that's rough.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

LifeSunDeath posted:

I almost gassed out the first time I went to another planet today, and goddamn the whole situation of steering being very very fuel heavy, that's rough.

Oh yeah, definitely make sure you load up with fuel (likely Energetic Graphite at that stage) before you take off the first time. Likewise I just started exploring nearby systems. Goddamn does Warp Speed take even more fuel. :stare: No wonder they want you to get level 4 reactor before you do that. Bring Deuterium tanks.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Ambaire posted:

Open the Replicator menu with F and hover over or click the Magnet. It tells you how to make it, as well as how long it takes. ;)

In addition, the lower flowchart can be hovered / clicked to show how to get the source item(s) as well as what they can be used for.

If I do that, it says to make it in the replicator. I don't want to make it in the replicator. My question was answered previously :)

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Mayveena posted:

If I do that, it says to make it in the replicator. I don't want to make it in the replicator. My question was answered previously :)

???

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I finally had to make my way out to the furthest planet in my solar system to set up an outpost for silicon ore and man, the way the sun reflects off of the icy planet looks incredible.

Got this on the way back too. This game rules.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jan 31, 2021

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Man I am bad at this game. I can't stop playing it though.

I just got a real logistics system set up and the game really takes off once you reach that stage. Is there any downside (besides power) for using all interstellar towers? Interplanetary tower just seem strictly worse.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Travic posted:

Man I am bad at this game. I can't stop playing it though.

I just got a real logistics system set up and the game really takes off once you reach that stage. Is there any downside (besides power) for using all interstellar towers? Interplanetary tower just seem strictly worse.

I find the planetary towers are easier to make when you first start on the logistics system, but yeah if you can afford it there's no reason not to always use interstellar.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
The planetary ones need less clearance from other logistics towers vs the interstellar ones, so sometimes if space is tight and you don't need more than 3 local products they're handy.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

I really have to work out how to get more red science. I swear, most of my production chain is tied up either building science, or power for the science. At least I know where the bottleneck is, now I just have to actually go to another planet for silicon. Smelting it from stone takes forever.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Another 10 or so of the gas sucker things and I'll have fully exploited my gas giant. Not even sure what to do with all the hydrogen and icefire yet but it will probably have uses once I get into the purple research. Already have way more graphene and deuterium than I know what to do with.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Another 10 or so of the gas sucker things and I'll have fully exploited my gas giant. Not even sure what to do with all the hydrogen and icefire yet but it will probably have uses once I get into the purple research. Already have way more graphene and deuterium than I know what to do with.

You have not enough hydrogen...until you have TOO MUCH and just start burning it...and then you get to the late game and you can never, ever, ever get enough is my experience.

Anyways I have figured out exactly what this game needs:

This game, or at least I, need Penultimo's voice clip from Tropico 5 going "Ooooh! Shiny!" looped over and over again. Anyways, while this builds I'm gonna go fly off and start exploiting another solar system for silicon and rare materials.

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

being able to demolish and right click out of it into the last thing you were building is such a nice feature

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
So am i crazy for wanting to start again?

I've only made it up to the point where i unlocked the red research cubes but it it feels like my entire production chain isn't properly set up to be scalable.

I think part of why that is because i'm not sure what materials are eventually going to be needed for another material which in turn goes into a 3rd one etc until after i've researched new things, etc.

So as a result i'm going back and having to rejig and cram other stuff together rather than what is probably the sensible thing of:

Finding an ore deposit and setting stuff up to massively stockpile the ore (with massive production facilities)
From this massive stockpile, branch things off to make massive stockpiles of the 1 or 2 items produced from that ore.
Siphon things from these massive stockpiles into the next items they produce.

It seems really obvious when i type it out but i feel like the game hasn't really introduced the concept of scalability too well. Like it's "build a thing to get a resource to plug it into the other, oh here's the next thing unlocked, time to move on". Working that way has led me to make a lot of bottlenecks because i've only got like one thing of one time being produced at a time.

Like it's a small thing but even just some kind of goals around generating x volume of [product] per second would encourage me to set things up properly to begin with.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

No that's definitely an issue with the unlocking process, though it's also an issue with it in all the other games of this type too.

Which is why I'm rebuilding with logistics towers as the equivalent of the main bus, because they make scaling up much easier.

But yeah the game is pretty wild with the different numbers of producers you need for each thing and also you want to use T3 parts for everything and upgrading is a nightmare at the moment.

I will say that it's probably better to play through until you unlock everything and then move to another planet, rather than trying to do it all from the start again because you'll run into the same issues, IMO.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I’ve been scaling up my sail production and it’s bringing in a lot of power to bootstrap my refinery planet. The idea is that it will take raw ores from other planets and convert to bars that then gets sent out. I’m also setting up a factory planet that will be entirely devoted to Dyson sphere construction and my original planet will just scale up to make intermediate components.

Getting the first Dyson stuff is taking ages though. I’m going to try to quickly get a “scaffold” done so that I can begin absorbing sails so I’m not just throwing stuff into the ether. Game rules.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Oh boy, after Satisfactory failed to provide me with much over Factorio, I was a bit skeptical of this, but it somehow managed to only take the good things from Satisfactory and combine them with the good parts of Factorio and that's great. It's just 3D enough. Right now I'm trying to get some off-world resources onto my main planet - besides going over there myself, I guess the interstellar logistics hub is the only way. That's gonna take some work. I'm drowning in hydrogen, also - is there a better way to deal with all the excess from refineries other than burning it?

Additionally, I enjoy that the safest way to get back to your home planet is to slam headfirst into the ground with your robot. The last time I tried to do anything fancy, I overshot and had to spend quite a while going in the wrong direction.

Kin posted:

I've only made it up to the point where i unlocked the red research cubes but it it feels like my entire production chain isn't properly set up to be scalable.

The first thing I did was build a Factorio-style bus around the equator. It's worked well so far - we'll see if logistics hubs are better. But I've also just torn everything down and rebuilt several times.

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Jan 31, 2021

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Moved my sail launcher array from the pole of the planet to the equator when I noticed it was shutting down for no discernable reason half the time. I was shooting from the north pole, to a solar polar orbit target also north of the sun. I don't think the game cares about the actual direction of the orbit for this stuff, because after moving it to the equator (the world is tidally locked), I haven't seen them shutdown once.

Anyway it's at 10.6 GW and I don't think the sail coverage is even at 10% yet so one of these things finished is a monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Gonna need all that power for the final tech!

What, no, i'm not talking about the victory one.

(The sad thing is that apart from this being the last thing you will ever research, this is still laughably underscale compared to your half finished sphere. Let alone a complete one.)

Jossar fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jan 31, 2021