Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Oh poo poo I kept using up my great merchants for their boons instead, I really should have looked up the new mechanics.

And I was still making absurd amounts of money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
My favorite bug is that, while playing hotseat, the screen doesn't zoom to combat, but only for the first player.

Hotseat doesn't rate, I get it, but that's still dumb.

Glass of Milk fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jan 31, 2021

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

I'd say on ~90% of maps 2 or 3 expansion directions are blocked off by city states. loving why make the game like this.

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.
If you like having more room to expand try playing on a lakes map. It tends to have plenty of space between civs.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

Ratios and Tendency posted:

I'd say on ~90% of maps 2 or 3 expansion directions are blocked off by city states. loving why make the game like this.

You can reduce the number of city states when you launch your game. But yeah, it would be better imo to have city states occupy just 1 or 2 tiles (like in Civ BE) instead of taking up so much space.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I kinda like it, because it means I won't have to claim land in every single direction if I start in the middle of a continent.

Also what the gently caress, when did the AI start razing city states? One of my allies started declaring war on my vassals and I can't denounce him or tell him off. Now La Venta no longer exists and no one can build giant heads anymore, and I'm pretty sure there was literally nothing I could do to stop it other than go back 10 turns and not renew the alliance.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Stop roleplaying a saint and expand anyway! Just take them over if they're in your way, it's free real estate!

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Phosphine posted:

Stop roleplaying a saint and expand anyway! Just take them over if they're in your way, it's free real estate!

I was thinking it would be cool if there was a "cultural anthropology" tech/civ/whatever that let you get the city state's suzerain bonus even if you took them over.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Speaking of, I just had this happen to me:

Just a normal continents and islands map, no other changes.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
[

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I kinda like it, because it means I won't have to claim land in every single direction if I start in the middle of a continent.

Also what the gently caress, when did the AI start razing city states? One of my allies started declaring war on my vassals and I can't denounce him or tell him off. Now La Venta no longer exists and no one can build giant heads anymore, and I'm pretty sure there was literally nothing I could do to stop it other than go back 10 turns and not renew the alliance.

Use your units to body block him at la venta, he can't attack you either so if you just make it so he can only attack the city with like one unit at a time the city state can probably survive

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Reveilled posted:

Speaking of, I just had this happen to me:

Just a normal continents and islands map, no other changes.

Never saw anything like that

I wonder if it's possible to somehow survive that situation

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.
With a city state you definitely can. I've had that happen a handful of times in multiplayer when we've gone beyond the recommended # of players.

I think one of the things I'd really like to see added to the game is a mid-game wonder that lets you pick a 2nd pantheon from the leftover beliefs. It would be nice to be able to get one as a do-over when you pick one that doesnt end up being as good as you thought when you have more map knowledge. It would also be neat to have a wonder thats a generalist thing since it could benefit most victory types depending on what's available.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Elias_Maluco posted:

Never saw anything like that

I wonder if it's possible to somehow survive that situation

it's only a city state. might even get a bonus settler.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Finally picked up the frontier pass for $25, which seems about right for it.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Stefan Prodan posted:

Use your units to body block him at la venta, he can't attack you either so if you just make it so he can only attack the city with like one unit at a time the city state can probably survive

If I knew he was gonna raze it, I would have scrambled some units to do that. I guess that technically counts as a thing you can do!

As it stands, I'll just have to raze Babylon to the ground, instead. Oh well, them's the breaks.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

If I knew he was gonna raze it, I would have scrambled some units to do that. I guess that technically counts as a thing you can do!

As it stands, I'll just have to raze Babylon to the ground, instead. Oh well, them's the breaks.

Yeah I just mean next time if you don't want it to get captured at all that's the safe way to stop it

On another note, I feel like the introduction of the preserve might have rocketed Brazil from like "below average/ok" to like top 5 or even top 3

Being that incentivized to not touch huge yield rainforest tiles saving you builder charges early on and getting adjacency from them and THEN getting preserve bonuses on top of them (with grove coming very early) just seems completely insane to me, like just bonkers strong, but I haven't played a game yet with them

They're already pretty strong when you have to manually plant woods and plan for them, but brazil just auto gets huge appeal tiles all over the place naturally and those tiles will be super productive already

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Phosphine posted:

Especially if they're a city that your empire historically controlled. Like, Jerusalem 7 tiles away from Istanbul? Sorry guys, this is historically accurate!

That got me thinking, what part of the Earth was controlled by the most civs in this game? Northern Israel seems a good candidate, ruled by (in rough order) Phoenicia, Egypt, the Neo-Babylonian Empire, Persia, Macedon, Rome, Byzantium, Arabia, the Ottomans, and the British, with a sacking by the Mongols and an interregnum by the Crusader states who would be, I guess, represented by Barbarossa? Am I missing any?

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Depends on how broadly you define 'part of the Earth': Asia as a whole, ditto for Africa, The Middle East? Or more narrow like, the Levant or Northern Italy?

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Rimusutera posted:

Depends on how broadly you define 'part of the Earth': Asia as a whole, ditto for Africa, The Middle East? Or more narrow like, the Levant or Northern Italy?

Like, what point of land has been controlled by the most empires. I recognize that's a matter of definition especially in pre-modern times but there's definitely been some parts of the globe that've been fought over more than others.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
With actual geographic overlap, I'm assuming. Like how all of those held the city of Jerusalem, while the Zulus and Ethiopia wouldn't really count for "Africa" because they were never anywhere near each other.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

HappyCamperGL posted:

it's only a city state. might even get a bonus settler.

Ah I thought it was a civ

But... do city states start the game as a settler, like that? I never knew

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Elias_Maluco posted:

Ah I thought it was a civ

But... do city states start the game as a settler, like that? I never knew

Yep. On maps with tighter land margins, like archipelago or small continents, I’ve gotten a few starts like this before. Nabbing their settler is almost always a better deal then whatever they can provide you later on via suzernaity.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Bob A Feet posted:

Yep. On maps with tighter land margins, like archipelago or small continents, I’ve gotten a few starts like this before. Nabbing their settler is almost always a better deal then whatever they can provide you later on via suzernaity.

Amazing, I had no idea

I always play on huge so never happened to me

Touchdown Boy
Apr 1, 2007

I saw my friend there out on the field today, I asked him where he's going, he said "All the way."
Im gonna try sopme of the mods suggested here today.

Also I NEVER play on huge maps, I cant imagine the micro later in the game for all those cities. That said I am intrigued so any tips for using the larger maps?

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Science victory. Maybe culture victory, but you might have difficulties getting trade routes to civs halfway across the world for that tourism bonus.

Certainly not religious or domination victory unless you really, really, really enjoy shuffling fleets around the world.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Touchdown Boy posted:

Im gonna try sopme of the mods suggested here today.

Also I NEVER play on huge maps, I cant imagine the micro later in the game for all those cities. That said I am intrigued so any tips for using the larger maps?

I always play on huge map with few civs (5 or 6) cause I like to have lots of space to expand without too much pressure and also I enjoy the exploration part of the game

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Huge map and Marathon speed is pretty much the only way I've enjoyed playing Civ since III or something, though I've also played 2-player multiplayer like 95% of that time.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Huge+Marathon is the only way to create an Epic Story for your peoples

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I need to try marathon

Dont it makes building every little thing takes forever, though?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I just use Zee's Properly Timed Eras rather than marathon, same slowing the game pace down so you get most of an eras techs in that era, but less waiting 20 turns to build a monument.

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
Guys, I think industries and corporations might be overpowered. That's two emperor games in a row where I win a cultural victory the moment I enter the modern era in like, 1500.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Eimi posted:

I just use Zee's Properly Timed Eras rather than marathon, same slowing the game pace down so you get most of an eras techs in that era, but less waiting 20 turns to build a monument.

Thats what I want, thank you

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Karanas posted:

Guys, I think industries and corporations might be overpowered. That's two emperor games in a row where I win a cultural victory the moment I enter the modern era in like, 1500.

Hm I've had a bunch of corporations and never get my multiplier above like 200, this is on deity but is there anything special you're doing besides like building industries/corporations?

Do you have to like not trade them to the CPU? I assumed a monopoly was just for who is actually working the tiles

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
I don't know, I didn't even plan for cultural wins each time. It just happened. I just tried to get as many industries as possible. I didn't even have corps on my first game and I had one in my second for like 20 turns before I won. The products you build get slotted in your stock markets/seaports like they're great works, and get this: you can build multiple.

poo poo's bonkers man.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I’ve just had my quickest win on King with Vietnam, turn 269 culture victory.
Just about to make my first corporation too. It was the hero relics and the old god obelisks that supercharged the culture and tourism.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
A hallmark of a well designed game, surprise wins that require no planning when there is still like 250turns of game left.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
This last civ better be Venice or we riot

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Karanas posted:

I don't know, I didn't even plan for cultural wins each time. It just happened. I just tried to get as many industries as possible. I didn't even have corps on my first game and I had one in my second for like 20 turns before I won. The products you build get slotted in your stock markets/seaports like they're great works, and get this: you can build multiple.

poo poo's bonkers man.

That's weird, I've had games with 6 or 7 industries and never ended before the normal turn 250+

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Gyshall posted:

This last civ better be Venice or we riot

Since it's likely the last civ and it's carrying the update of the frontier pack alone; I'm going to guess it's a strange new civ or a staple that hasn't shown up yet.

So Inuit or Portugal, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Oh man, Give me Pedro I from Portugal with the ability to make your empire's new capital a city-state you are the suzerain of.