Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Klingaboo isn't the correct term no, he is a Native though raised abroad Klingotaku .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Dax is more of a Klingaboo.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Zedd posted:

Klingaboo isn't the correct term no, he is a Native though raised abroad Klingotaku .

Eh, a Japanese boy who was orphaned at six years old and for some reason adopted by Americans would still be a weeabo to me. But it's an extremely dumb discussion, even in the Star Trek thread.

What's interesting is how kids learn to speak in the 23rd century. The parents may not actually speak the same language, and the UT can't possibly be compatible with a child under 3 years.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

BonHair posted:

Eh, a Japanese boy who was orphaned at six years old and for some reason adopted by Americans would still be a weeabo to me. But it's an extremely dumb discussion, even in the Star Trek thread.

I'm mostly just joking. Worf is just being Worf, comparing everything to his ideal Klingon that exists in his head and having zero chill about it.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Or maybe Klingons aren't a cultural monolith?????

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Tunicate posted:

Or maybe Klingons aren't a cultural monolith?????

He seems to think they are. He's always saying "Klingons do NOT ..."

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Yeah and he compares every single Klingon to his Ideal Klingon.

Look at Nog, dude knew his dad was onto something with not being cut out to be the hyper specific Ferengi Quark pretends to be.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Worf and T'Pol should've hung out. They could've held entire conversations consisting solely of "Klingons do not [X]" and "Vulcans do not [Y]."

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Yeah, pretty much all other Klingons fail to live up to Worf's expectations because they are real persons. Until Discovery I guess.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Cojawfee posted:

He seems to think they are. He's always saying "Klingons do NOT ..."

He's just a Klingon boomer.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I see Patrick Stewart is starring in the Coneheads reboot.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Mister Kingdom posted:

I see Patrick Stewart is starring in the Coneheads reboot.

He comes from France!

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Gates McFadden aged like fine wine.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Working my way through my TOS Blu-Rays and I totally forgot that the Star Trek theme was diegetic at the party in Conscience of the King .

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

It's more than a little weird seeing that ghoul Rick Berman still hovering around the periphery of Star Trek stuff after all these years despite having nothing to do with any of it anymore.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Delsaber posted:

It's more than a little weird seeing that ghoul Rick Berman still hovering around the periphery of Star Trek stuff after all these years despite having nothing to do with any of it anymore.

I wonder if he still thinks it's too soon to have gay people in Star Trek. The wanker.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

LongDarkNight posted:

*chef kiss*

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

McSpanky posted:

That said, calling him a Klingaboo is pretty gross because, you know, he's actually a member of the race-slash-species he's cargo culting, which just makes it all the sadder. Someone could've asked the Klingon Empire for a cultural exchange visit at some point.

holy poo poo thank you i've been saying this for ages now

Payndz posted:

Things like the big battle in 'Sacrifice of Angels' have already been done in HD, because somebody got hold of the original Lightwave model and animation files and re-rendered them at 1080p 4K. (I'm actually now wondering if new models were used, because some of them look ultra-detailed for 1997 CGI done on a television schedule and budget, but the point stands - if Some Random Guy can do it, a studio certainly can.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__kWrK_RFx8

The hard part is probably not so much the space exteriors as it is the composite shots. Every time someone fires a phaser or beams down or whatever, someone at minimum has to re-composite those effects shots.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Seaquest did predict reddit shorting Gamestop stock:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXZECHDlBkg

lol what is it with seaQuest having the absolute most trash-quality clips on Youtube

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

McSpanky posted:

That said, calling him a Klingaboo is pretty gross because, you know, he's actually a member of the race-slash-species he's cargo culting, which just makes it all the sadder. Someone could've asked the Klingon Empire for a cultural exchange visit at some point.

Can one be a diaspora if it's a singular person? Because he's closer to a diaspora trying to reconnect than he is a weeaboo.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

bull3964 posted:

Working my way through my TOS Blu-Rays and I totally forgot that the Star Trek theme was diegetic at the party in Conscience of the King .

Conscience of the King is an interesting episode that is overlooked a lot.

Also lol it's extremely postwar.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Weren’t there a number of movies in the 60s about holocaust survivors encountering escaped nazis they recognized from the war? Star Trek gets props for putting Captain Kirk in the role of a holocaust survivor.

Also that’s the one he hits on an actual teenager, right?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

LongDarkNight posted:

Wine you say

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Weren’t there a number of movies in the 60s about holocaust survivors encountering escaped nazis they recognized from the war? Star Trek gets props for putting Captain Kirk in the role of a holocaust survivor.

Also that’s the one he hits on an actual teenager, right?
It actually happened a non-trivial number of times! The main thing that's slowed it down is just the passage of time. Even if Hitler made it to Argentina in a U-boat, he'd be dead now - he was no spring chicken even in WW2.

But of course, in 1961, it was a very different story.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

curiousTerminal posted:

Can one be a diaspora if it's a singular person? Because he's closer to a diaspora trying to reconnect than he is a weeaboo.

That's what he reminds me of! Like that particular kind of intensely Irish American. I'm not dismissing Irish-American culture or anything, it's a legit identity, but they're intense about their Irishness in a way my Irish family aren't.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Word went to Klingon summer camps. I think Kurn took him starting when he was a teen?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

HopperUK posted:

That's what he reminds me of! Like that particular kind of intensely Irish American. I'm not dismissing Irish-American culture or anything, it's a legit identity, but they're intense about their Irishness in a way my Irish family aren't.

Americans are extremely weird about their ancestery as a whole imo. I have more Irish ancestery than most 'Irish-Americans' and I am definitely not Irish

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Watching TNG after having not watched it in decades, I forgot about all the camel toes.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

That's a diaspora thing for sure. Short version: there's no opposition to being Irish in Ireland, it's just a background thing that most people are. But in America, Irish is suddenly opposed to German, Italian and "American" and whatever, and you have a reason to care about it, because it's a meaningful signifier of identity. We see the same kind of things with Turks/Pakistanis in Europe, where the first generation is not particular religious, but second and third generations increasingly become religious as a way of maintaining an identity.

It's a bit strong coming from one six year old klingon though. Especially since he had no one to teach him of his ancestral ways, he has had to look it all up himself.

Also i just watched the first episode with Alexander. In season four. I choose to believe that more time has passed than one year per season, because he's definitely way older than three years. It also heavily features klingons being untrue to Worf's beliefs, with Duras being a traitor who poisons the old chancellor, and Gowron being slightly scheming.

Edit: definitely agreed on the cameltoes.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
Just finished DS9 for the umpteenth time and I'm itching to get into the post-DS9 universe. I've tried STO and found it incredibly boring, are the DS9 relaunch novels any good? I hate that the only other media to touch that era is Picard

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Lester Shy posted:

Worf and T'Pol should've hung out. They could've held entire conversations consisting solely of "Klingons do not [X]" and "Vulcans do not [Y]."

It just ends up with the angriest make out session in history

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

Just finished DS9 for the umpteenth time and I'm itching to get into the post-DS9 universe. I've tried STO and found it incredibly boring, are the DS9 relaunch novels any good? I hate that the only other media to touch that era is Picard

The only things I know about them are that they bring back Weyoun as the emissary of the Pah-Wraiths and the universe explodes or something(?) and Ro Laren ends up in a relationship with Quark. Make of that what you will

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

I hate that the only other media to touch that era is Picard
Lower Decks?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Okay I had to look this up to check the insane EU novels weren't a thing I dreamt and I'm kind of coming round on them

quote:

[From the back cover: The crew of the Starship Defiant is trapped in a future in which the Pah-wraiths have triumphed -- as the greatest epic adventure in the saga of Deep Space 9 continues....

In the last days of the twenty-fourth century, caught in the crossfire of the apocalyptic confrontation between the Bajoran Prophets and the Pah-wraiths, Captain Benjamin Sisko, and his crew face what might be the final millennium. On one side, the Pah-wraiths' new Emissary -- Kai Weyoun -- promises his followers that when Bajor's two Celestial Temples are restored as one, all beings in the universe will ascend to a new and glorious existence with the True Prophets. On the other side, the scientists of Starfleet predict that when the two Bajoran wormholes merge, they will create a Warp 10 shock wave of infinite destructive power.

With the Federation on the brink of collapse, and Starfleet consumed by Admiral Jean-Luc Picard's obsessive quest to build the largest starship ever conceived, Sisko enters the ultimate race against time for the biggest stakes of all -- the survival of the universe itself.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

That’s what the first season of Picard should have been about. Just the building the biggest spaceship part.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I was under the impression that Trek EU is basically fanfiction, with very little editorial oversight or regard for continuity. That blurb confirms my impression pretty hard. Seriously, why would Picard even care about size?

And even the old Star Wars EU was mostly terrible with a few okay to good books and only moderate idiocy, and that was heavily regulated.

Going to books to get your fix is is probably like cheap, impure crack to satisfy your coke addiction.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

multijoe posted:

Okay I had to look this up to check the insane EU novels weren't a thing I dreamt and I'm kind of coming round on them
OK so this is the Millennium trilogy which is not part of the relaunch.

The DS9 relaunch stuff is listed here- https://memory-beta.fandom.com/wiki/DS9_relaunch

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

The Millennium trilogy was always supposed to be "Star Trek, but with wrestling bullshit" and a lot of people love it for that.

Never got a chance to read it though.

The actual DS9 relaunch books were apparently pretty decent, at least at the beginning? And they eventually tied in with an overall TNG/VOY/ENT relaunch.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I never read the DS9 relaunch, but the Enterprise relaunch did end up with a couple chapters talking about Ezri, in command of her own giant ship, finding the buried wreck of the NX-02 on some planet and that it tied into some big threat from the other book series.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Drone posted:

The Millennium trilogy was always supposed to be "Star Trek, but with wrestling bullshit" and a lot of people love it for that.

Never got a chance to read it though.

The actual DS9 relaunch books were apparently pretty decent, at least at the beginning? And they eventually tied in with an overall TNG/VOY/ENT relaunch.

Yeah, they're generally good and entertaining right up until Sisko comes back then it goes off the rails a bit. That's still about 17 solid reads (counting crossovers and the like) though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I never read the DS9 relaunch, but the Enterprise relaunch did end up with a couple chapters talking about Ezri, in command of her own giant ship, finding the buried wreck of the NX-02 on some planet and that it tied into some big threat from the other book series.
Yes that was the Destiny trilogy which intersects with other books

There were a few times where they had big crossover events with the other post-Nemesis novels and this was one of them