Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Defenestrategy posted:

I feel this might be a decently common question, but it wasn't asked in at least the last three pages.

I gave Chris Roberts 35$ in 2012 to produce something like wing commander, it is now 2021 and I basically completely forgot about this game after it started appearing that poo poo was going way off the rails. What currently is the state of this train wreck, and has my money been well spent by him to produce such a thing or is it still pre-alpha stuff?

Non-joke answer:

Instead of producing something like Wing Commander he has pissed away 350 million dollars and 8 years and he still hasn't got more than some (at this point) years-old canned videos of his supposed game. The last stated release date was Q3 of last year and they missed that by a country mile, at this time there is no indication that it is going to come out at any point. To give you some idea of how hosed it is: They have been working on a single mess-hall scene, and announcing progress on it, for at least four years straight.

Nalin is mistakenly or disingenuously telling you to "install" the other game that he's made, which is the MMO that has nothing to do with WC. It is still essentially in a tech demo phase with a single star system and 50 players per server, max. It also sucks hard, but is sort of playable, in an extremely broken, pre-alpha state. It is full of baffling decisions like thirst and hunger mechanics, 35-minute real time flight times where you are locked out of the controls, and 12+ hour inescapable real-time jail sentences for things like "Completing the wrong mission" that you are not warned about in advance. On the other hand, you can complete some missions and do some mining and a lot of ships are now earnable in-game, so there's kind of a progression ladder if you really just want to hurt yourself in a space game. On the other other hand, Elite Dangerous does everything infinitely better and you won't have your account randomly reset, so why not go play that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Sarsapariller posted:

Non-joke answer:

Instead of producing something like Wing Commander he has pissed away 350 million dollars and 8 years and he still hasn't got more than some (at this point) years-old canned videos of his supposed game. The last stated release date was Q3 of last year and they missed that by a country mile, at this time there is no indication that it is going to come out at any point. To give you some idea of how hosed it is: They have been working on a single mess-hall scene, and announcing progress on it, for at least four years straight.

Nalin is mistakenly or disingenuously telling you to "install" the other game that he's made, which is the MMO that has nothing to do with WC. It is still essentially in a tech demo phase with a single star system and 50 players per server, max. It also sucks hard, but is sort of playable, in an extremely broken, pre-alpha state. It is full of baffling decisions like thirst and hunger mechanics, 35-minute real time flight times where you are locked out of the controls, and 12+ hour inescapable real-time jail sentences for things like "Completing the wrong mission" that you are not warned about in advance. On the other hand, you can complete some missions and do some mining and a lot of ships are now earnable in-game, so there's kind of a progression ladder if you really just want to hurt yourself in a space game. On the other other hand, Elite Dangerous does everything infinitely better and you won't have your account randomly reset, so why not go play that.

About what I figured.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

https://v.redd.it/kbag11to2he61/DASH_1080.mp4

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

https://v.redd.it/yemkgzr9sie61/DASH_1080.mp4

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Sarsapariller posted:

Non-joke answer:
Instead of producing something like Wing Commander he has pissed away 350 million dollars and 8 years and he still hasn't got more than some (at this point) years-old canned videos of his supposed game.

That really sucks.

quote:

Nalin is mistakenly or disingenuously telling you to "install" the other game that he's made

Yea, I didn't care about the MMO thing that was happening. I assumed with the community it had built that if such a thing where released it'd have some survival mechanic or other weird time sink thing that the people who are in love with simulators drool over that I wouldn't really care for. All I wanted was to fly around zap aliens and have Maveric tell me I'm doing a bad job about it.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Defenestrategy posted:

That really sucks.

Yea, I didn't care about the MMO thing that was happening. I assumed with the community it had built that if such a thing where released it'd have some survival mechanic or other weird time sink thing that the people who are in love with simulators drool over that I wouldn't really care for. All I wanted was to fly around zap aliens and have Maveric tell me I'm doing a bad job about it.

I'm hearing very good things about Everspace 2 right now

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

This is $140 USD tank in the back of a $375 USD ship

Just play it for yourselves, haters :smuggo:

https://v.redd.it/v76aq3eb1wd61/DASH_1080.mp4

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Defenestrategy posted:

I feel this might be a decently common question, but it wasn't asked in at least the last three pages.

I gave Chris Roberts 35$ in 2012 to produce something like wing commander, it is now 2021 and I basically completely forgot about this game after it started appearing that poo poo was going way off the rails. What currently is the state of this train wreck, and has my money been well spent by him to produce such a thing or is it still pre-alpha stuff?

Ab-so-lutely!

Don't listen to the haters, the game is in good hands!

https://i.imgur.com/P3MXtL5.mp4

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/fmUr6F6.gifv

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
I wonder what Star Citizen (the racehorse) is up to these days...
https://i.imgur.com/942UlRf.gifv

Oh, same old tricks I guess

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Sarsapariller posted:

35-minute real time flight times where you are locked out of the controls

I don't know why people keep saying this when it hasn't been true for over a year. Travel between moons takes seconds and travel between planets takes, on average, about 3-5 minutes with a size 2 quantum drive and 6-7 minutes with a size 1 drive.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Nalin posted:

I don't know why people keep saying this when it hasn't been true for over a year. Travel between moons takes seconds and travel between planets takes, on average, about 3-5 minutes with a size 2 quantum drive and 6-7 minutes with a size 1 drive.

Maybe because being locked out of anything for 5+ minutes sucks poo poo in a 'fun' game?

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
Holy poo poo this piece of crap is still in a completely broken state? I've gotten bored of even following this disaster and just wanted to check in after 2 or so years of ignoring it and they are still going on about server meshing and everything is still hosed.

Are commandos still buying millions worth of jpegs from crobler or is financial situation now getting a bit more dire?

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

TheCoach posted:

Holy poo poo this piece of crap is still in a completely broken state? I've gotten bored of even following this disaster and just wanted to check in after 2 or so years of ignoring it and they are still going on about server meshing and everything is still hosed.

Are commandos still buying millions worth of jpegs from crobler or is financial situation now getting a bit more dire?

Nothing changed. Well except everyone involved checked out and Ben Lesnick got banned to the shadow realm

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
How many of the token "but the game is actually good you guys!" people have rotated out trough the thread in this time?

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Nalin posted:

You're not wrong, they did speed it up. (Which certainly makes one question why they made it 30 minutes to begin with.) It's nowhere near 5 minutes though except for the fastest drives- 10 is a pretty good estimate.

But travel between the planets is half the story. It still sucks being completely locked from the controls of your game for 10 minutes or more. Then there's having to mash "QT drive engage" over and over again because the servers are so desynced that it almost never takes on the first try. Or flying at a crawl the last 30km to any ground installation. Or having to refuel your hydrogen every other trip, assuming you can get that interface to work, because the faster drives all have terrible fuel consumption and the ships have tiny little fuel tanks that make no sense given the intended scale of the universe.

I mostly say 30 because it's still so long that I just alt-tab out and go do other things during flights, which is a ludicrous thing for a video game to have players doing.

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
I play final fantasy 14 a lot and I can just click on a town and instantly be there within 10 seconds and carry on with the fight and it even has a in-game lore explanation about why I can do that.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
SC has an in-game lore explanation for travel mechanics being poo poo

They were made by Chris Roberts:

Chris Roberts (lore)

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

The real 12 points was the Thug-Friends we made along the way
I've been lurking this thread for years, years before I officially joined. Mostly reading it for lols because the content was just that great. Never felt the need to comment until now. Thing is, I saw some new concept art for space whales in /r and everyone was hyped based on a single cool jpg, when suddenly.... i remembered: long time ago there was a SC video with a huge sandworm that was supposed to be a big deal. Everyone was hyping it. My friend was hyping it, too. Tried to make me a supporter(failed miserably) So, I wanna ask you thread people familiar with CIG lore: What happened to that worm? It has vanished completely from the public consciousness. Where is it? Where is the worm, Chris?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Welcome lurker.

The Stimperor took the sandworm and drowned it in a bottle full of tequila. That's how the Stimperor rolls.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Goatson posted:

I've been lurking this thread for years, years before I officially joined. Mostly reading it for lols because the content was just that great. Never felt the need to comment until now. Thing is, I saw some new concept art for space whales in /r and everyone was hyped based on a single cool jpg, when suddenly.... i remembered: long time ago there was a SC video with a huge sandworm that was supposed to be a big deal. Everyone was hyping it. My friend was hyping it, too. Tried to make me a supporter(failed miserably) So, I wanna ask you thread people familiar with CIG lore: What happened to that worm? It has vanished completely from the public consciousness. Where is it? Where is the worm, Chris?

The sandworm happened during the homestead demo for Citizencon 2016. It was supposed to take place on Lier III, in the Lier system, which was supposed to have been added in the alpha 4.0 patch many years ago. None of that - obviously - has actually happened. The homestead demo itself was the only one of two intended demos that were supposed to be shown off in 2016 (the other being the Squadron 42 vertical slice that got axed a couple days before the show), and was revealed to be mostly canned when the animation for the worm and the zoom-out glitched and replayed during the end of the demo. The worms themselves are "confirmed" in the sense that Chris Roberts has said they're going to be in there, just like all the other weird aliens he has talked about that have never materialized. Luckily, all we have to do is wait for the Lier system to come out and we can check for ourselves.

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Colostomy Bag posted:

Welcome lurker.

The Stimperor took the sandworm and drowned it in a bottle full of tequila. That's how the Stimperor rolls.

The worst type of tequila

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Goatson posted:

'worm WAS NOT A JOKE'

source

So yeah, it was just another daft demo mock up for a citcon.

If you ask the most loyal citizens about it, they will say stuff like this:

quote:

The Valakkar

The Valakkar or "Sandworm" is a species of gigantic worms living in the desert landscapes of Leir III. They are known for their predilection for destroying settlements on this planet, leaving it sparsely populated with only nomadic smugglers and outlaws.

Leir III is currently not on the Roadmap.

But Leir II is the location of the new Star Marine map, The Good Doctor.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Interestingly enough, the Homestead demo was also where they tried to answer the question "why would I ever need a rover or a tank or whatever the gently caress when we've all got spaceships" by uhhhhh deciding that there were going to be wind anomalies that would force you to land your spaceship and travel on foot, which seems like just a super cool feature for a space game.

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

The real 12 points was the Thug-Friends we made along the way
Oh yes, this was the stuff I was looking for! Thank you, everyone!

With this info, I am finally ready to buy an Idris

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Beet Wagon posted:

The sandworm happened during the homestead demo for Citizencon 2016. It was supposed to take place on Lier III, in the Lier system, which was supposed to have been added in the alpha 4.0 patch many years ago. None of that - obviously - has actually happened. The homestead demo itself was the only one of two intended demos that were supposed to be shown off in 2016 (the other being the Squadron 42 vertical slice that got axed a couple days before the show), and was revealed to be mostly canned when the animation for the worm and the zoom-out glitched and replayed during the end of the demo. The worms themselves are "confirmed" in the sense that Chris Roberts has said they're going to be in there, just like all the other weird aliens he has talked about that have never materialized. Luckily, all we have to do is wait for the Lier system to come out and we can check for ourselves.

Pixelate posted:

So yeah, it was just another daft demo mock up for a citcon.

And I bet you Chris was saying during that citcon that the worm was already finished and just ready to be added into the next build for players.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Goatson posted:

Oh yes, this was the stuff I was looking for! Thank you, everyone!

With this info, I am finally ready to buy an Idris

See that you do, son

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

Wait a second, I'm dropping into this thread for the first time in 4 years, and this looked kind of cool before it exploded. Does the game occasionally do stuff now? Should I bother looking up my account?

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Haven't checked this thread in years but just wanted to drop by and check if Sarsapariller bought back in for a third time?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Wait a second, I'm dropping into this thread for the first time in 4 years, and this looked kind of cool before it exploded. Does the game occasionally do stuff now? Should I bother looking up my account?

Nope. One of the central tenets of the scam is that it looks OK in screenshots. The few times it look OK in motion is because the person taking the video is playing unnaturally to give the appearance of different aspects of the game that do not exist. For example, when "flying" their no-clip models around the model-viewer, the "player" will swoop the ship around in an approximation of what an actual functioning game's flight model might look like.

It's the equivalent of a kid holding a model plane in his hand and running around the yard going "VVRRRMMM."

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jan 31, 2021

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Beet Wagon posted:

Totally not related at all was the beginnings of rumors that a new Dune film was in the offing. Totally no connection at all.

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

No loading screens detected!

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/Jorunn_SC/status/1355908002625310721

quote:

When you consider how long he's been effectively pushing boundaries in video games, his passion is not optional -he's the real, long term deal, absolutely!

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Does not look at all like a profile raising, grooming effort.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Goatson posted:

The sandworm is doing just fine.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Shave without rhythm, least you attract the Sandiworm

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
The everything...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnggNAlH4oI

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

TheAgent posted:

Simutronics, makers of Gemstone 3 and DragonRealms (two very popular MUDs on AOL and Prodigy) made a 3d engine that was going to revolutionize MMO games. The head of tech at EA watched a preview video at E3 and was hooked, and within a week shoved $15 million at Simutronics to license their Hero Engine for their upcoming Star Wars MMO, The Old Republic.

The engine wasn't even near ready for release, though. Developers had to create dozens of workarounds, code new lighting, texture and physics into the engine; among a million other things. It was a notoriously dumb move that cost EA tens of millions of dollars and several years of dev time.

I remember seeing the Hero Engine demoed back in like 2007 and hearing it talked about in literally hushed tones from MMO artists, like "holy gently caress have you seen the hero engine video?" was all anybody was saying.

Those tools looked REAL impressive at the time. Key word looked though.

Seems like it was all smoke and mirrors past a point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

You guys remember that one engine that instanced millions of models? "Every atom simulated" or something like that? That was another bust.