Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
that album owns though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
https://twitter.com/LexSteele11/status/1314027273083850753

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

WW1, WW2, the rise of the Soviet Union, the rise of the Nazi's, fascism, the cold war, 9/11, and our current reactionary movement can all be historically traced back to the time some chauffeur took a turn down the wrong street and passed the cafe where Archduke Ferdinand's assassin was eating a sandwich

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Feldegast42 posted:

WW1, WW2, the rise of the Soviet Union, the rise of the Nazi's, fascism, the cold war, 9/11, and our current reactionary movement can all be historically traced back to the time some chauffeur took a turn down the wrong street and passed the cafe where Archduke Ferdinand's assassin was eating a sandwich

If it hadn't been that poo poo would have found a way to pop off anyways lol

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord
The Sleepwalkers by Christopher Clark is a very good book on how batshit insane literally every player was during and prior to the July Crisis, and its an incredibly fun read if you want to learn about how dysfunctional every state in europe was at the time.

quote:

Since there was no official language in Cisleithania (by contrast with the Kingdom of Hungary),
there was no single official language of parliamentary procedure. German, Czech, Polish, Ruthenian,
Croat, Serbian, Slovenian, Italian, Romanian and Russian were all permitted. But no interpreters
were provided, and there was no facility for recording or monitoring the content of speeches that
were not in German, unless the deputy in question himself chose to supply the house with a translated
text of his speech. Deputies from even the most insignificant factions could thus block unwelcome
initiatives by delivering long speeches in a language that only a handful of their colleagues
understood. Whether they were actually addressing the issues raised by the current motion, or simply
reciting long poems in their own national idiom, was difficult to ascertain. The Czechs in particular
were renowned for the baroque extravagance of their filibustering. The Cisleithanian parliament
became a celebrated tourist attraction, especially in winter, when Viennese pleasure-seekers
crowded into the heated visitors’ galleries. By contrast with the city’s theatres and opera houses, a
Berlin journalist wrily observed, entry to parliamentary sessions was free.*

* Among those who came to watch the antics of the deputies was the young drifter Adolf Hitler.
Between February 1908 and the summer of 1909, when Czech obstructionism was at its height, he
was often to be found in the visitors’ gallery. He would later claim that the experience had ‘cured’
him of his youthful admiration for the parliamentary system

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Malleum posted:

The Sleepwalkers by Christopher Clark is a very good book on how batshit insane literally every player was during and prior to the July Crisis, and its an incredibly fun read if you want to learn about how dysfunctional every state in europe was at the time.

From the same book posted:

“Tempers were raised further by news of Serbian mistreatment of Bulgars in the ‘liberated lands’. It didn’t help that the heir to the throne, Prince Alexandar, had walked about various Macedonian towns during a tour of the conquered areas engaging local Bulgars in the following formulaic dialogue:

‘What are you?’
‘Bulgarian.’
‘You are not Bulgarian. gently caress your father.”

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

It has only been 4 months since Rudy put his hand down his pants on Borat 2 and even less since he gave a press conference at Four Seasons Total Landscaping, or the one where he had hair dye dripping off his face

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

Spergin Morlock posted:

It has only been 4 months since Rudy put his hand down his pants on Borat 2 and even less since he gave a press conference at Four Seasons Total Landscaping, or the one where he had hair dye dripping off his face

America's mayor...we're all new yawkas, you mess with one of us, you mess with all of us!

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

sleep with the vicious posted:

America's mayor...we're all new yawkas, you mess with one of us, you mess with all of us!

I'm still happy the diamondbacks beat the Yankees right after 9/11. Eat poo poo NY

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I remember when rudy stopped 911

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Spergin Morlock posted:

The Kaiser was just waiting for an excuse

the French army hadn't updated their uniforms for a long time so instead of trench warfare camo their troops had to wear red pantaloons for most of WWI

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

Spergin Morlock posted:

For sure but I still find it funny that the one of the biggest instigating events that happened in the past hundredish years started with some Coen Brothers poo poo

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Filthy Hans posted:

The Kaiser was just waiting for an excuse

the French army hadn't updated their uniforms for a long time so instead of trench warfare camo their troops had to wear red pantaloons for most of WWI

World War One was really a comedy of errors

Unfortunately the punchline was the deaths of millions needlessly, but hey you know you win some you lose some

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Feldegast42 posted:

The sandwich is a lie.

thetan_guy42
Oct 15, 2016

murdera

Lipstick Apathy
In February 2020, Juvenile performed "Back That Azz Up" with businessman Tom Steyer at Allen University in Columbia, South Carolina during Steyer's Democratic Party presidential primary campaign.[1][2] While Juvenile performed the lyrics, Steyer danced onstage alongside his wife and daughter before delivering a speech targeted to youth and minority voters.[3][4] Steyer withdrew from the presidential race the day after the performance.[5]

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Feldegast42 posted:

If they were smart the cafe owner's would have seen that as a marketing opportunity: "In 1914 Gavrilo Princip ate a sandwich and immediately changed the course of human history. <so and so's> Deli: Because Bold Ideas start with Bold Flavor"

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Platystemon posted:

The sandwich is a lie.

Not least of which because the Black Hand was made up of half of the loving Serbian Army, and with shitloads of cops and what not involved as well. Ferdinand getting smoke checked was an inside job is what I'm saying.

TURN IT OFF!
Dec 26, 2012

christmas boots posted:

If they were smart the cafe owner's would have seen that as a marketing opportunity: "In 1914 Gavrilo Princip ate a sandwich and immediately changed the course of human history. <so and so's> Deli: Because Bold Ideas start with Bold Flavor"

A sign that says "40 million served killed"

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

TURN IT OFF! posted:

A sign that says "40 million served killed"

I can’t believe I didn’t even see the slogan “where Hungary goes to die”. It’s right there.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Hillary Clinton probably would have won and been president and the whole Trump era never would have happened if she didn't have terminal boomer tech brain and decide "two email addresses is so confusing! Just have everyone email work stuff to my personal account."

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Feldegast42 posted:

And he died bleeding out while people were desperately trying to tend to his wounds but were hindered by the fact that he was loving sewed into his clothes.

He was technically some sort of sausage.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

mrmcd posted:

Hillary Clinton probably would have won and been president and the whole Trump era never would have happened if she didn't have terminal boomer tech brain and decide "two email addresses is so confusing! Just have everyone email work stuff to my personal account."

Didn't she also have that second email address so she could secretly whine about Obama to her lackies without it being foia'd

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

Also, one goon ran that email server while another goon created 4chan. Trump is a SA inside job is what I am saying

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Bush couldn’t imagine an America that doesn’t go out and shop. Imagine no more lmao

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Feldegast42 posted:

Didn't she also have that second email address so she could secretly whine about Obama to her lackies without it being foia'd

I mean she paid some lawyer god knows how much to go through all her emails one by one and classify them as relevant to SoS record keeping requirements or not, and send copies of the relevant ones to the State Department archivist or whatever.

If you wanted to keep stuff siloed from public records laws mixing work and personal email is the exact opposite of a good strategy and all her lackies were on the State Department system anyway. It was just total boomer brain "I have my blackberry setup the way I like it and it won't work with the state department, just email me at my normal address ugh."

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

indigi posted:

that album owns though

See, I disagree. Green Day may as well gave retired after Kerplunk.

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

Feldegast42 posted:

For sure but I still find it funny that the one of the biggest instigating events that happened in the past hundredish years started with some Coen Brothers poo poo

Some young zealous Japanese military officers wanted to assassinate Charlie Chaplin in order to kick poo poo off with the US in the 30s, it didn't happen because Chaplin was out watching a sumo match with the prime minister's son (the prime minister was assassinated).

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

That sandwhich poo poo was made up. He never ordered a sandwhich and the location was on the original route anyways. Read a book

Edit: sorry, got pissy. Here's a politics poo poo: Obama bowing

The Chad Jihad has issued a correction as of 17:13 on Jan 31, 2021

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

The Chad Jihad posted:

That sandwhich poo poo was made up. He never ordered a sandwhich and the location was on the original route anyways. Read a book

Edit: sorry, got pissy. Here's a politics poo poo: Obama bowing

That's the most disappointing thing I've read all morning.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
it was Harry Truman eating a sandwich when he was informed of FDR's death and that he would be president

Conan O'Brien also eating specifically a 'big' sandwich when informed he would be taking over for Letterman

Sandwiches are mere bystanders to history rather than the engines, but no less significant.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
John Young smuggled a corned beef sandwich onto the first Gemini flight.

Jim Lovell described a hot dog as a sandwich during Apollo 13.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

mrmcd posted:

I mean she paid some lawyer god knows how much to go through all her emails one by one and classify them as relevant to SoS record keeping requirements or not, and send copies of the relevant ones to the State Department archivist or whatever.

If you wanted to keep stuff siloed from public records laws mixing work and personal email is the exact opposite of a good strategy and all her lackies were on the State Department system anyway. It was just total boomer brain "I have my blackberry setup the way I like it and it won't work with the state department, just email me at my normal address ugh."

she just liked colin powell's setup

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

PerniciousKnid posted:

It’s even more disappointing when you find out that Serbs just aren’t into sandwiches in general.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
If Bush ate a sandwich instead of a pretzel we could have been saved some trouble

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

gradenko_2000 posted:

If Bush ate a sandwich instead of a pretzel we could have been saved some trouble

Did he really choke on a pretzel or was that another yarn mean to humanize him?

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Rumor was he fell off the wagon and got shitfaced hence choked

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

I feel like if Dubya actually did fall off the wagon then we would hear about it now, or maybe we are just used to the White House being an open book under Trump

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

PerniciousKnid posted:

Franz Ferdinand got a hand grenade thrown at him earlier and the day and then had to listen to the mayor of Sarajevo give a prewritten speech about how "Bosnia gives the royal family a warm welcome on this great say" after nearly getting blown up