Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

So, solar sail launchers are a bit weird. I don't know exactly how it is calculated but I think it does actually have something to do with the combination of the target orbit, and the orbit of the body you're launching from. As far as I can tell it seems to basically end up trying to fire at most points along the orbit at some time or another, and I haven't found any reliable way to get them firing all the time. They also can't fire directly overhead either so I would probably say that a target orbit close to the ecliptic combined with guns at high latitudes, but not directly on the pole or the equator, is most likely to give you reliable coverage. The ideal I think would be a tidally locked world where the launch site is always facing the star.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Jossar posted:

(The sad thing is that apart from this being the last thing you will ever research, this is still laughably underscale compared to your half finished sphere. Let alone a complete one.)

The white cube upgrade techs are infinite research, with a scaling cost. You will want more and more science production for more and more mining productivity and transport speed, similar to Factorio.

10 GW is still a lot, enough to run maybe 10ish science/second.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Kin posted:

So am i crazy for wanting to start again?

I've only made it up to the point where i unlocked the red research cubes but it it feels like my entire production chain isn't properly set up to be scalable.

I think part of why that is because i'm not sure what materials are eventually going to be needed for another material which in turn goes into a 3rd one etc until after i've researched new things, etc.

So as a result i'm going back and having to rejig and cram other stuff together rather than what is probably the sensible thing of:

Finding an ore deposit and setting stuff up to massively stockpile the ore (with massive production facilities)
From this massive stockpile, branch things off to make massive stockpiles of the 1 or 2 items produced from that ore.
Siphon things from these massive stockpiles into the next items they produce.

It seems really obvious when i type it out but i feel like the game hasn't really introduced the concept of scalability too well. Like it's "build a thing to get a resource to plug it into the other, oh here's the next thing unlocked, time to move on". Working that way has led me to make a lot of bottlenecks because i've only got like one thing of one time being produced at a time.

Like it's a small thing but even just some kind of goals around generating x volume of [product] per second would encourage me to set things up properly to begin with.

You’re not crazy for feeling this way, but there are ways to stay in your original save and continue progressing at a pretty good clip. Once you unlock planetary and interplanetary logistics and the 2nd solar sail upgrade that lets you go 1,000 m/s, you can start replacing some spaghetti with planetary logistics stations so they can fill the demand of multiple projects and setup interplanetary supply chains.

I had some oil rigs that were making hydrogen and burning off refined oil, and others that were making refined oil and burning off hydrogen. The logistics stations basically doubled my available hydrogen and refined oil in exchange for some wind turbines replacing the power output. I’ve also dealt with ever more complex part needs by setting up part chains on the lava and ice planets in my system and shipping them back to my home planet to “black box” their production - once everything is set up properly these complex parts just magically appear in the interplanetary logistics station, which helps reduce the complexity immediately in front of me. As others here have mentioned, you can do the opposite too where you move your end of line production to a new planet and just use your starter planet as the black box resource generator. A lot of the fun of this game comes from its flexibility in how you can advance.

My biggest fear about restarting is that I am just a step or two away from feeling the same way about something else, which will cause me to want to restart for a different reason. Powering through with a mixture of upgrading to logistics stations in existing supply chains and setting up new supply chains in a better way (and potentially off planet) has proven successful for me without losing any progress. For reference I just finished all red/blue/yellow research and will spend today setting up my purple research chains, which right now involves shipping copper plates from my lava planet to my ice planet, where I can exploit silicon mines to make processors to ship to my main planet and plug into purple research generators.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

Xerophyte posted:

The white cube upgrade techs are infinite research, with a scaling cost. You will want more and more science production for more and more mining productivity and transport speed, similar to Factorio.

10 GW is still a lot, enough to run maybe 10ish science/second.

Huh, good to know. Although it's still ridiculous post-game territory, you can send your production up to the moon if you really want that complete sphere.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Oh boy, after Satisfactory failed to provide me with much over Factorio, I was a bit skeptical of this, but it somehow managed to only take the good things from Satisfactory and combine them with the good parts of Factorio and that's great. It's just 3D enough. Right now I'm trying to get some off-world resources onto my main planet - besides going over there myself, I guess the interstellar logistics hub is the only way. That's gonna take some work. I'm drowning in hydrogen, also - is there a better way to deal with all the excess from refineries other than burning it?

Additionally, I enjoy that the safest way to get back to your home planet is to slam headfirst into the ground with your robot. The last time I tried to do anything fancy, I overshot and had to spend quite a while going in the wrong direction.

The first thing I did was build a Factorio-style bus around the equator. It's worked well so far - we'll see if logistics hubs are better. But I've also just torn everything down and rebuilt several times.

That's maybe a good way to deal with the excessive spaghetti of conveyors. Like I was going to try and build an equator power belt of solar and wind, but perhaps there could also be a raised set of conveyors above them going both clockwise and anticlockwise for all things produced on the southern and northern hemisphere to flow into and out of. Though the interplanetary logistics centre i read about probably makes that sort of system redundant as you can just ship from A - B anywhere on the planet with those right?

edit: yup, guess it will be based on what's mentioned above.

Actually, is it quite easy to find another planet like your starter one that's rich in most of the resources you need?

Kin fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jan 31, 2021

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Kin posted:

That's maybe a good way to deal with the excessive spaghetti of conveyors. Like I was going to try and build an equator power belt of solar and wind, but perhaps there could also be a raised set of conveyors above them going both clockwise and anticlockwise for all things produced on the southern and northern hemisphere to flow into and out of. Though the interplanetary logistics centre i read about probably makes that sort of system redundant as you can just ship from A - B anywhere on the planet with those right?

edit: yup, guess it will be based on what's mentioned above.

Actually, is it quite easy to find another planet like your starter one that's rich in most of the resources you need?

I haven't ventured out of my solar system yet, but I have a lava planet dense in iron and copper with a smaller amount of stone and titanium, and an ice planet dense with iron and titanium with a smaller amount of silicon. Both are great for building up my solar system wide production chain but neither are a good substitute for the home planet, as they're both missing oil and coal (I think each has a tiny 4 coal patch to let you create and store mecha fuel).

I've also been diverting my blue/red/yellow research cubes into huge storage stacks so I can unleash the flood gates once I get purple online - it's helped me feel less like I'm wasting time when I'm reworking existing supply chains and setting up new ones.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

What happens if you run out of energy warping between stars and you don't have any more warps?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The starter system is actually rather poo poo, honestly. The planets have deliberate holes in their resource availability, almost all the systems I've found other than the starter have more planets and way more resources including planets with all the resources on them and in much larger quantities, like 20 million of a resource on one planet.

mrmcd posted:

What happens if you run out of energy warping between stars and you don't have any more warps?

You get to slowboat it. Which will probably take an hour or so to reach the nearest star depending on where you are.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

mrmcd posted:

You load the save you remembered to make before you took off.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
I wish the game opened up interstellar travel a bit earlier, I made about 10 test seeds and the variety in the home system isn't great. Biggest variables are 1) do you have a regular gas giant or an ice giant, presumably with fire ice 2) do you have a tidally locked planet 3) do you have more than one moon around the giant. I don't know if it's possible to get rare resources (other than maybe fire ice as mentioned) or not, since it takes a fair bit of time to tech up to be able to tell and I wasn't about to do that for the seed testing.

Monowhatever
Mar 19, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

The starter system is actually rather poo poo, honestly. The planets have deliberate holes in their resource availability, almost all the systems I've found other than the starter have more planets and way more resources including planets with all the resources on them and in much larger quantities, like 20 million of a resource on one planet.

I did my first trip around my star cluster last night and saw this too. I'm thinking now about moving my production and dyson sphere to an O type star I found with a luminosity over 2. The only problem is the system lacks both oil and gas giant so I'm not totally sure how to move and set up there without space warpers.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

metasynthetic posted:

Moved my sail launcher array from the pole of the planet to the equator when I noticed it was shutting down for no discernable reason half the time. I was shooting from the north pole, to a solar polar orbit target also north of the sun. I don't think the game cares about the actual direction of the orbit for this stuff, because after moving it to the equator (the world is tidally locked), I haven't seen them shutdown once.

Anyway it's at 10.6 GW and I don't think the sail coverage is even at 10% yet so one of these things finished is a monster.

Oh yeah if you have a tidal lock planet then sun facing side is much better than poles.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

I feel like asteroids would make a nice middle ground - you could have advanced materials in small quantities randomly scattered in your system. Then when you run out of those as you're gaining interstellar travel you are forced to go to other stars to shore up your production.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Monowhatever posted:

I did my first trip around my star cluster last night and saw this too. I'm thinking now about moving my production and dyson sphere to an O type star I found with a luminosity over 2. The only problem is the system lacks both oil and gas giant so I'm not totally sure how to move and set up there without space warpers.

I would say that a system should have oil in it, because it makes so many products that you really can't ignore it, and also it's infinite so it's a long term investment.

Other good options are fire ice for making easy graphene and sulphuric acid because it's a pain to make, though you don't really need it if you have fire ice. Though as fire ice is always on the logi network anyway it doesn't necessarily matter if it's in-system, just get a source of it somewhere.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

I feel like asteroids would make a nice middle ground - you could have advanced materials in small quantities randomly scattered in your system. Then when you run out of those as you're gaining interstellar travel you are forced to go to other stars to shore up your production.

That would be cool. Asteroids with an abundance of one type of resource whipping around that you have to land on, they'd need to be big enough to slap an interstellar logistics tower on though. Or idk let us harnass it and drag it into our orbit or something. There's so many awesome possibilities with this game.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Asteroids you collect with an automated system like the frame builders or the sail launchers would make most sense I think. Maybe if they do add in an orbital layer then asteroid capture and processing would be a good reason to get you to build there, and it adds another nice thing for you to watch fly around the system.

Anomandaris
Apr 3, 2010
Is there any way to prevent transport vessels from slowboating to other systems (other than making sure that the material they want is only available in the current system)? I know I can feed them warpers, but I have everything I need in my current system and I don't want to set up a new chain for that.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

No, sadly, they will also use warpers to jump long distances in your current system. I am hoping that they will add some rules about that in the logistics manager when they add it.

Anomandaris
Apr 3, 2010
Well, that just means that I have to stop all interplanetary stations when I decide to move to another system. A bit annoying, but I hope they'll address this down the road.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

metasynthetic posted:

I wish the game opened up interstellar travel a bit earlier, I made about 10 test seeds and the variety in the home system isn't great. Biggest variables are 1) do you have a regular gas giant or an ice giant, presumably with fire ice 2) do you have a tidally locked planet 3) do you have more than one moon around the giant. I don't know if it's possible to get rare resources (other than maybe fire ice as mentioned) or not, since it takes a fair bit of time to tech up to be able to tell and I wasn't about to do that for the seed testing.

i was doing this and realised you can see if other planets have any rare resource at all at least from the very start, it just wont say which it is

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Anomandaris posted:

Well, that just means that I have to stop all interplanetary stations when I decide to move to another system. A bit annoying, but I hope they'll address this down the road.

You only need warpers at the station with the ships in it, so you can simply take the interplanetary ships out of the towers you don't want making interstellar trips and other towers will still jump to them. Alternatively you can spend a commodity slot to import warpers to the tower using local drones, which means you only need to supply one tower per planet.

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
When you are still at the beginning of the game, and you need to cross long distances with power poles, you can alternate the two types. The range from blue to red or red to blue is the same as between two blue ones. You only get the short distance if you connect two red power poles.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah power connections always use the longest length of any of the connectors.

Monowhatever
Mar 19, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I would say that a system should have oil in it, because it makes so many products that you really can't ignore it, and also it's infinite so it's a long term investment.

Other good options are fire ice for making easy graphene and sulphuric acid because it's a pain to make, though you don't really need it if you have fire ice. Though as fire ice is always on the logi network anyway it doesn't necessarily matter if it's in-system, just get a source of it somewhere.

I went back and looked around the system I plan on moving to and found this star 3ly away.
lots of oil and a neat horizontal spinning planet with a pole always facing the star.

So I guess I'm either gonna start in this system and use it as a spring board to move on or just dyson this one first.

and this is the system I wanna move to:

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

How are y'all running out of fuel while flying around? Always keep a full refill worth of fuel in inventory for emergencies. Also, graphite, while slow charging, gives you about 2gj of power for a full load since they stack to 100 vs the other fuels which look better individually, but only stack to 20. I'm still assembling yellow science so will switch to fuel cells someday.

spckr
Aug 3, 2014

here we go

finished building the dyson sphere

I scaled up production of rockets and solar sails a ton to get this done in somewhat reasonable time. I got up to ~80 rockets/min and ~1600 sails/min at the end.

You should really play with 10x or infinity resources if you want to complete this thing. Most of my time at the end game was just warping around tapping more raw resources.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

Boogalo posted:

How are y'all running out of fuel while flying around? Always keep a full refill worth of fuel in inventory for emergencies. Also, graphite, while slow charging, gives you about 2gj of power for a full load since they stack to 100 vs the other fuels which look better individually, but only stack to 20. I'm still assembling yellow science so will switch to fuel cells someday.

To be fair to folks it's easy if you don't realize the weird flight system where any button press drains energy; people are used to "Hold A to move" and it never makes it clear that soft newtonian rules apply. After that it's never a problem, since you take off, accelerate, then coast to your destination with maybe one course correction for gravity at the end.

Once you start warping you definitely need fuel rods though, the slowest part of a long warp is recharging to max so fuels with a recharge speed bonus are key.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Sailing feels so weird, it's like I can sort of pitch up but not down, you can yaw but not roll and mouse look seems to steer you a up and down but it may be my imagination, something about it's off and I don't really know what.

I ran out of gas my first time in space cause I missed the planet and it sucked.

LifeSunDeath fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jan 31, 2021

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

the mouse will steer you, in that if you press w while aiming in a direction it will thrust in the direction of your mouse, but if youre just cruising it wont change your course. q and r roll.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

spckr posted:

finished building the dyson sphere

I scaled up production of rockets and solar sails a ton to get this done in somewhat reasonable time. I got up to ~80 rockets/min and ~1600 sails/min at the end.

You should really play with 10x or infinity resources if you want to complete this thing. Most of my time at the end game was just warping around tapping more raw resources.

This incredible futuristic engineering project outputs 1/3 the solar power generation of China currently.

The estimates I have seen estimate a Dyson sphere would output more than 1000000000000000000000 gigawatts.

Doesn’t make the game any less fun though!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah the scales of the sphere are a bit weird tbh. For all that your whole purpose is building it it would be nice if it had more feedback into the factory as you build it.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I love that the little logistics drones change color based on what they're hauling :3:

That said, my framerate is taking quite a hit on my main factory planet now that there's hundreds of drones flying around all the time.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
So it turns out restarting actually kinda helped.

I've got solid production chains so far for all of the starting materials so far each flowing into/out of their own storage containers to build a surplus of them (i've got batches of about 9 smelters producing a single material).

I couldn't quite get a bus working properly with the production buildings filtering in the right items without the conveyor getting choked up as the items weren't all being used fast enough, so i've had to tweak the layouts of my smelter (or whatever the orange production building is called) to make space for 2 conveyor belts if i'm producing something with multiple inputs.

I'm debating whether to create more of these to start automating the production of buildings. I'm assuming in the future i'm going to need hundreds if not thousands of smelters, conveyors, power pylons and foundations, etc so it probably makes sense to start automatic production of those instead of making them.

Anyway, despite spending a bit more time doing this, i swear i've progressed a hell of a lot faster than i did the first time. I've still got all the blue cube research to do but i'm churning that stuff out so quickly now i can probably get through it super quick too.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Boogalo posted:

How are y'all running out of fuel while flying around?
My bet (since I do it way too often): taking off without checking your current power, and realizing you left with half a tank.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

It seems like everybody runs out of fuel at least once while figuring out how the flight mechanics work, then either realizes you don't always need to be jamming on the gas OR gets enough power upgrades for the mech that it doesn't matter anymore.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Alamoduh posted:

This incredible futuristic engineering project outputs 1/3 the solar power generation of China currently.

Maybe thats the amount allocated for your own use instead of whats being reserved to run Homeland's 2nd Life MegaServer :v:

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Maybe thats the amount allocated for your own use instead of whats being reserved to run Homeland's 2nd Life MegaServer :v:

This is what I figured as well. The holographic AI sex bots consume a lot of power!

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
A wild spaghetti appeared! I set this up really early in my playthrough before I knew that you could have a sorter go over more than one grid.

That's okay though. I've learned my lesson and tamed the power of spaghetti and with the help of a nice blueprint someone posted earlier in the thread, I made a full 6/s electromagnetic drive factory, from raw iron/copper inputs. This takes 60/s of iron and 12/s of copper:

I need to build about half a dozen more interplanetary stations then go to the second moon orbiting the gas giant this starter planet is orbiting to just tap all of the iron/copper/silicon. Unfortunately I'm still building out the solar arrays.. And all of this is just to get a decent enough feed of supermagnetic thingamajigs so that I can make Duetron fuel rods and solve my power issues... I don't even want to think of how many magnets the next step in this chain is going to take...

Anyway this game is pretty as hell:

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWPG5B9sPeQ
A tutorial on half-height bridges and no-height "bridges". One that blew my mind is that you can access the inventory of any logistics station via map-view.

DelphiAegis fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Feb 1, 2021

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Alamoduh posted:

The estimates I have seen estimate a Dyson sphere would output more than 1000000000000000000000 gigawatts.

Doesn’t make the game any less fun though!

I'm chalking this one up to a gameplay compromise because if the swarm were remotely representative of what real generation would be, just a tiny fraction of completion would render all the other power generators pointless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Good game, fun. But can anyone report the production ratio? I know 1miner:2smelters but after that I dont know that translates to fabs and research.