Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
?
This poll is closed.
Yes 62 44.93%
No 76 55.07%
Total: 138 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Hegel Exercises posted:

Love all the people now now-ing $600 and dutifully moving goalposts when we just bukakke money all over corps and folks with more money than they’d need in a dozen lifetimes.

The chance to go all adult in the room to explain to people why they're actually wrong in the face of no poo poo evidence is the neoliberals siren song

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Bored As gently caress posted:

This sucks poo poo

gently caress them, $2000 checks, keep the $600 more for unemployment, $15 minimum wage, and $500b for cities and states.

That $15 minimum wage isn't until 2025. The initial push for $15 was years ago when it meant a living wage. It will not be a living wage in 2025.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Hegel Exercises posted:

Love all the people now now-ing $600 and dutifully moving goalposts when we just bukakke money all over corps and folks with more money than they’d need in a dozen lifetimes.

How much control over legislation do you think the Dem party has had throughout this pandemic?

Edit: I guess I'm missing the play here. How exactly do any of you think the Dems will force the Republicans to concede to these positions?

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

That $15 minimum wage isn't until 2025. The initial push for $15 was years ago when it meant a living wage. It will not be a living wage in 2025.

Can't wait to see what a living wage is in 2025.

Or even what 2025 is.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Hegel Exercises posted:

Because its founded on a misinterpretation so the insistence on arguing over another one time $600 just seems weird. Should be screaming about recurring payments and everything else in Bidens bill along with healthcare.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

2025? loving yeesh.

Yeah true - it started years ago and should be updated. Maybe $20?

I think it honestly might depend on cost of living. Minimum wage in cities, or states like NY or CA, should be higher than rural Arkansas or Alabama. Maybe this is a dumb idea, but wouldn't it make sense for a sliding scale of $15-$30 depending on COL of the area?

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

antimatt posted:

Can't wait to see what a living wage is in 2025.

Or even what 2025 is.

"$25 by 2025" sounds like a good slogan to me.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

2025? loving yeesh.

Yeah true - it started years ago and should be updated. Maybe $20?

I think it honestly might depend on cost of living. Minimum wage in cities, or states like NY or CA, should be higher than rural Arkansas or Alabama. Maybe this is a dumb idea, but wouldn't it make sense for a sliding scale of $15-$30 depending on COL of the area?

Federal minimum wage sets a floor, states can raise it.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

LMAO

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

lightpole posted:

Because its founded on a misinterpretation

It’s an interpretation that Democrats embraced and ran on.

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

"$25 by 2025" sounds like a good slogan to me.

Sold. Let's do this.

Also unionize all of the jobs.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Platystemon posted:

It’s an interpretation that Democrats embraced and ran on.

What other provisions of the proposed covid relief legislation would you have the Dems sever to keep that promise?

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

lightpole posted:

Yeah they've done a great job of keeping pace with inflation :jerkbag:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

lightpole posted:

Or individual cities, as Seattle has.

Also the $15 minimum in the bill is tacked to the median wage, so it'll be going up every year afterwards.

maffew buildings posted:

The chance to go all adult in the room to explain to people why they're actually wrong in the face of no poo poo evidence is the neoliberals siren song

What loving evidence? The goddamn tweet that was posted that was right in line with "The $600 that was passed isn't enough, we need to up it to $2000?" this isn't even people misunderstanding, this is a loving effort to rewrite history at this point and I'm getting pretty loving exhausted at people calling me a neoliberal or a republican when I agree with what they want for policy but want them to get their loving facts right

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
how many rounds of golf has biden played since he was elected?!?!?!?!?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Grip it and rip it posted:

What other provisions of the proposed covid relief legislation would you have the Dems sever to keep that promise?

Democrats are pissing on my leg and tell me it’s raining, and I want it to stop.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Or individual cities, as Seattle has.

Also the $15 minimum in the bill is tacked to the median wage, so it'll be going up every year afterwards.

What loving evidence? The goddamn tweet that was posted that was right in line with "The $600 that was passed isn't enough, we need to up it to $2000?" this isn't even people misunderstanding, this is a loving effort to rewrite history at this point and I'm getting pretty loving exhausted at people calling me a neoliberal or a republican when I agree with what they want for policy but want them to get their loving facts right

Why do you keep misconstruing it?

And $15 is not enough in Seattle

And even further lmao at "pegged to median wages" as if that means anything in this shithole country with hyperinequality

UP THE BUM NO BABY fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jan 31, 2021

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Why do you keep misconstruing it?

gently caress you

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Edit: I guess I'm missing the play here. How exactly do any of you think the Dems will force the Republicans to concede to these positions?

It's sure challenging! Door #1 is the bipartisan door, leading to barely any money, poo poo checks, and probable 2022 losses, plus Lucy pulling the football away. Door #2 is the "give Manchin/Sinema everything" door and the House/WarrenBernie could tank it if it's not generous enough. Door #3 is the "gently caress Manchin/Sinema" path and they go superhugebig and kill filibusters and all, but M/S could tank that too without consequences. None of this poo poo is easy (but gently caress them, cry me a river).

Thankfully right now, Democrats appear to be settling in Door #2.5 so things could get done.

https://twitter.com/JStein_WaPo/status/1355952635912843267?s=19

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Acebuckeye13 posted:

gently caress you

WE NEED $2000 STIMULUS CHECKS

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Platystemon posted:

Democrats are pissing on my leg and tell me it’s raining, and I want it to stop.

Thats not an answer. You know what you want - who are you willing to put on the chopping block to get it?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Best Friends posted:

"Far left reactionary" is a thing you just typed out in your politics explianer

Lot of people getting extremely mad ITT that people are pointing out basic reality. One month ago zero Democrats were saying "1400 in two or more months from now" but if you notice that you're the problem.

No, the problem is that PCM just wanders in to attack people and has been doing it for years. Different democrats were saying different things pre-election because they didn't have their messaging straight (SHOCKING). Enough were absolutely saying $2k checks, not top offs, but if you can't even have that conversation without resorting to poo poo like PCM's post, then just go away.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Saying we need $2000 checks is different than we need to make it $2000 total in conjunction with former payments. If we have a fundamental disagreement about what words mean I don't think we're going to get in line on policy goals

brains
May 12, 2004

Acebuckeye13 posted:

look, you have to accept that this is a problem with messaging, not facts. yes, factually, 600 + 1400 equals 2000. but the democratic apparatus went well out of their way to explicitly message that people would get a $2000 check. people got elected directly because of that explicit messaging campaign. now the messaging is universally you will get a $1400 check. that is the issue people are having, and it's a valid one that the dems have hosed up.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
My personal understanding, in December, was that there would be two thousand dollars total, between the six hundred in the compromise spending bill and presumably a one‐time payment of fourteen hundred.

That understanding became obsolete when Democrats, repeatedly, and at multiple levels, pushed the idea of literal two‐thousand‐dollar checks.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

WE NEED $2000 STIMULUS CHECKS

If you are trying to argue in good faith then I don't even know where to begin.

He is saying. Like Ossoff and Warnock were saying. That the $600 stimulus passed on December 29th, less than two weeks prior to when the tweet was made, is insufficient. That it needs to be $2000. Like what the Democrats were arguing as a whole, including AOC and Ilhan Omar, less than two weeks prior.

how the gently caress do you think this is some slam dunk evidence

why am I even arguing this

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Acebuckeye13 posted:

If you are trying to argue in good faith then I don't even know where to begin.

He is saying. Like Ossoff and Warnock were saying. That the $600 stimulus passed on December 29th, less than two weeks prior to when the tweet was made, is insufficient. That it needs to be $2000. Like what the Democrats were arguing as a whole, including AOC and Ilhan Omar, less than two weeks prior.

how the gently caress do you think this is some slam dunk evidence

why am I even arguing this

You keep attacking me. I'm just pointing out where you are wrong. Sorry

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

I'm not loving attacking you, and I'm not loving wrong, jesus loving christ!

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/sfpelosi/status/1312771231641333761?s=20

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Thats not an answer. You know what you want - who are you willing to put on the chopping block to get it?

Nothing, because Congress doesn’t work like it does in educational cartoons from the nineteen seventies.

Republicans know that. Democrats behave like they don’t.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I for one hope this is a super busy legislative year. Not necessarily for getting poo poo passed, because lol that happening, but forcing republican senators to actually vote on poo poo. If I was king dick of dem senator mountain, I would have had a ton of pieces of really simple legislation drafted up to be voted on. Nothing that's a significant wedge issue, just poo poo that's generally popular that republicans will vote down and they can't run attack ads against sitting D centrists because they would have voted the same way.

I'm not sure what the bare minimum you need in a bill, but basically a ton of

The bill that gives you "Federally guaranteed parental leave+funding for it+the stuff to make it happen"

The bill that gives you "Federal minimum wage increases+the stuff to make it happen"

edit:Basically give dems a reason to vote, idiotsundecided voters a reason to not vote red, and get a bunch of poor people to start voting dem.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jan 31, 2021

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I'm not loving attacking you, and I'm not loving wrong, jesus loving christ!

It's okay to admit you were wrong and take a break

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

I have no idea why you're arguing about a direct message that we need $2000 checks versus getting to $2000 total. Words mean things, this isn't a spirit of the message thing, it's statements they made.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

maffew buildings posted:

Saying we need $2000 checks is different than we need to make it $2000 total in conjunction with former payments. If we have a fundamental disagreement about what words mean I don't think we're going to get in line on policy goals

If you go back to before the 600 was even passed, the dems were arguing for 2k. The GOP settled for 600, then Trump said 2k. So the dems jumped on it. That's the context, which loving matters. So 2k checks. After the bill passed and it was clear the $1400 amendment wasn't going to happen, Dem messaging got muddied. Some were still pushing for 2k total, others were saying additional 2k checks, some were just vague as hell.

The only people wrong in here about this are the ones pretending there was a single message being sent at all.

It's okay to admit you were wrong and take a break
:shepface:

Godholio fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jan 31, 2021

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
please let me die

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Go away.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Platystemon posted:

Nothing, because Congress doesn’t work like it does in educational cartoons from the nineteen seventies.

Republicans know that. Democrats behave like they don’t.

Lol could you please enlighten me about how this process works then?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Lol could you please enlighten me about how this process works then?

Pee pee doo doo Demoncrats are a bad party.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

No u

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brains
May 12, 2004

Platystemon posted:

My personal understanding, in December, was that there would be two thousand dollars total, between the six hundred in the compromise spending bill and presumably a one‐time payment of fourteen hundred.

That understanding became obsolete when Democrats, repeatedly, and at multiple levels, pushed the idea of literal two‐thousand‐dollar checks.

it was trump that started it, not the dems. they just dogpiled on to an obvious slam dunk that trump handed them on a silver loving platter. promising the american public, the same public that a year before the pandemic could barely put together $400 in an emergency, a two thousand dollar strings-free check, something some working class people have never experienced in their lives and is an unfathomable thing, clearly works! people want it!

Godholio posted:

If you go back to before the 600 was even passed, the dems were arguing for 2k. The GOP settled for 600, then Trump said 2k. So the dems jumped on it. That's the context, which loving matters. So 2k checks. After the bill passed and it was clear the $1400 amendment wasn't going to happen, Dem messaging got muddied. Some were still pushing for 2k total, others were saying additional 2k checks, some were just vague as hell.

The only people wrong in here about this are the ones pretending there was a single message being sent at all.

go back to the day or two after trump fired his torpedo into the GOP stimulus plan. the dems were absolutely united in messaging, seized the moment, and rolled it into an effective messaging campaign that won elections. it's not unreasonable that people are bent out of shape over that messaging plan transmuting into 600 dollars less seemingly overnight, accompanied by a small army of well, actuallys