Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
I am level 36 with merchants and got a megakeg in the regular hold conveniently by the ammo barrel just today.

I was in the Ancient Isles fwiw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
I think my favorite things about the new merchant voyage is that it is:

Soloable (but better with crew)
Feels kind of adventure-y
Makes you visit lots of islands
Gives you a poo poo ton of supplies with all the flotsam
Gets you to level 5 emissary before the end
Has a metric fuckton of crates
Can be finished in under an hour.
The payout is pretty drat good
It makes grinding merchant levels tolerable

I have also said this before but this will probably be known as the “happy times” by raiders because drat you are vulnerable and stick out like a sore thumb.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
Yeah, clearing the Captain’s cabin solo is where a lot of people will get caught out - you’ve got to spend a long time underwater with no way of checking your surroundings

bbchops
Jul 26, 2001

Ho ho ho! I'll have the same again!
Nap Ghost
So our first merchant's voyage ended in the final wreck not spawning and ultimately getting rekt by some passing pirates.

Me and some friends have been playing fairly casually most weeks using controllers on PC. We're fine at the sailing around, and killing skeletons and picking up chests and whatnot. As soon as we get into any kind of PvP we just get destroyed. Like, dead in two hits destroyed. Is there any way we can get good enough to actually defend ourselves, or are we never going to be able to compete with k+m?

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
To be honest I play kb/m with my kb/m friends. Sailing pvp we are good and fine but when it comes to boarding we suck too and die quickly.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

bbchops posted:

are we never going to be able to compete with k+m?

I've always played on controller and this is my experience. I'll try to get a sword swing in and in the meantime, my kb+m opponent already jumped over me, circled me twice and double-gunned me. It's absolutely useless.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

bbchops posted:

So our first merchant's voyage ended in the final wreck not spawning and ultimately getting rekt by some passing pirates.

Me and some friends have been playing fairly casually most weeks using controllers on PC. We're fine at the sailing around, and killing skeletons and picking up chests and whatnot. As soon as we get into any kind of PvP we just get destroyed. Like, dead in two hits destroyed. Is there any way we can get good enough to actually defend ourselves, or are we never going to be able to compete with k+m?

Basically you gotta get really good at sailing, spotting, and ship to ship combat. If they never make it on board you’re fine but that requires you to be really on the ball about calling out and blundering boarders

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I assume every time I've solo'd or close to solo'd a duo they were on controller. I don't understand playing an FPS on a controller when you're not stuck to a console but I'm thankful for it if it got me those wins.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

When firing on a galleon is it important where your cannonballs land? I assume you want to land hits at the waterline so the bottom deck takes on water, but if cannonballs hit the middle deck does that just never produce water until the bottom deck is flooded first?

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

Reiley posted:

When firing on a galleon is it important where your cannonballs land? I assume you want to land hits at the waterline so the bottom deck takes on water, but if cannonballs hit the middle deck does that just never produce water until the bottom deck is flooded first?

Correct.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

Always aim on the water line, for any ship.

Though it's hilarious to pepper the middle deck of a galleon, and then fire a single Ballast Ball for the instant sink.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

dialhforhero posted:

I think my favorite things about the new merchant voyage is that it is:

Soloable (but better with crew)
Feels kind of adventure-y
Makes you visit lots of islands
Gives you a poo poo ton of supplies with all the flotsam
Gets you to level 5 emissary before the end
Has a metric fuckton of crates
Can be finished in under an hour.
The payout is pretty drat good
It makes grinding merchant levels tolerable

I have also said this before but this will probably be known as the “happy times” by raiders because drat you are vulnerable and stick out like a sore thumb.

Stupid question inbound: How/Where do you actually get this new merchant voyage? I haven't played in a while, but plan on playing a lot more, soon. Is it a quest you get from the merchant on the docks, or?

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
Talk to the woman standing in front of the Tavern.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

BlackIronHeart posted:

be careful, this is p much how i started smoking cigs

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
She's a wretched alcoholic, don't enable her.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

BlackIronHeart posted:

Alright cool, I'll keep that in mind! Thanks
(should be easy enough for me to find! :D )

EDIT:

BlackIronHeart posted:

She's a wretched alcoholic, don't enable her.

Ah, fear not - I'll make sure to keep my grog mug out of sight, when near her ;)

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jan 31, 2021

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Merijn posted:

Always aim on the water line, for any ship.

Though it's hilarious to pepper the middle deck of a galleon, and then fire a single Ballast Ball for the instant sink.

The one thing I’d add here is that if you’re close enough, it’s worth lobbing one or two balls at cannons that are being actively used to fire on you.

It’s also a good idea to do this for other common ship actions like trying to raise a mast, raise anchor, steer etc. They can’t shoot back at you if they’re on the ferry!

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Had a galleon battle with a crew who kept trying to swim gunpowder barrels onto our ship when we got close together. I saw one jump in so I jumped in the water near them, and after two other misses managed to shoot the gunpowder barrel in the man's hands right against the starboard hull of their ship. I climbed up the rope latter on the port side and killed the other three on the anchor capstain with my cutlass, and rode the deck underwater before reuniting with my crew. This game is incredible.

e: the Flintlock has become my favorite sidearm, once you can aim with it it's really quick and versatile.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
ya pistol/sword is generally my favorite unless i'm bored or gearing something very, very specific

though i hear the blunderbuss is still really good if you want to spend time killing skeletons or spawncamping a sloop

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I'm so excited there's a Sea of Thieves thread!!! I've been playing this game *way* too much during Covid and most of my regular friend group is utterly uninterested :-(

Reiley posted:

Had a galleon battle with a crew who kept trying to swim gunpowder barrels onto our ship when we got close together. I saw one jump in so I jumped in the water near them, and after two other misses managed to shoot the gunpowder barrel in the man's hands right against the starboard hull of their ship. I climbed up the rope latter on the port side and killed the other three on the anchor capstain with my cutlass, and rode the deck underwater before reuniting with my crew. This game is incredible.

e: the Flintlock has become my favorite sidearm, once you can aim with it it's really quick and versatile.

I've stopped carrying kegs because I've found that they tend to damage my own ship as often as I successfully use them against an enemy. I love finding them on other folk's ships though...

Flintlock is my go to too, but a blunderbuss is occasionally nice for fighting skeletons or repelling boarders. You *really* don't want to get stuck in the water with the cutlass and a blunderbuss though.

I had a glorious encounter this weekend, while doing one of the new merchant missions: I was on a duo sloop with a random person off discord, and as we pulled up on our shipwreck we saw a galleon with a grade 5 gold hoarders emissary flag fighting a skeleton galleon. As we started looting the shipwreck, the player galleon sunk the skeleton, and stopped to pick up the loot. I noticed that the galleon was also flying an alliance flag so, figuring it was a nice symbol of peaceful intent, I joined their alliance.

We continued to unload, but eventually I heard a swimmer in the water, and heard someone coming up the ladder. I killed the boarder, and said something like "talk first" and went back to looting the shipwreck. This probably pissed off the galleon, so once they finished looting their kill they did a sail by and threw firebombs and took some cannon shots. We got into a relatively short battle, but my crewmate was able to get aboard to prevent repairs and I hit them with a ballast ball and we managed to take them down. They ended up having 30+ captain's chests, which makes me think that they were either doing a gilded gold hoarders voyage or emissary quests. Regardless, seeing all that loot pop up after sinking a galleon as a sloop made my heart absolutely sing :-)

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

DeadlyMuffin posted:

We continued to unload, but eventually I heard a swimmer in the water, and heard someone coming up the ladder. I killed the boarder, and said something like "talk first" and went back to looting the shipwreck. This probably pissed off the galleon, so once they finished looting their kill they did a sail by and threw firebombs and took some cannon shots. We got into a relatively short battle, but my crewmate was able to get aboard to prevent repairs and I hit them with a ballast ball and we managed to take them down. They ended up having 30+ captain's chests, which makes me think that they were either doing a gilded gold hoarders voyage or emissary quests. Regardless, seeing all that loot pop up after sinking a galleon as a sloop made my heart absolutely sing :-)

Oh drat, I love it when that happens - then comes the race to the nearest outpost before they can come back to get you! :D (Out of curiosity, did you stay in the alliance when you sold it all, or did you leave it, so they didn't get a cut at all? haha)

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

DeadlyMuffin posted:

They ended up having 30+ captain's chests, which makes me think that they were either doing a gilded gold hoarders voyage or emissary quests. Regardless, seeing all that loot pop up after sinking a galleon as a sloop made my heart absolutely sing :-)

There's an achievement you get for hauling 20 chests on board at once. My crew is all reknown 25-30 range and one of our members keeps insisting on doing this, with how many chests our current voyages actually give this keeps feeling like a bad idea and we keep having to tell him, not yet. Wait until we are stronger.

e: Someone flying reaper's sank our brig earlier while we were docked in port. We weren't sure if they'd be friendly or not since we didn't notice the reaper flag so I was swimming around the other side of the island with a gunpowder keg. My crewmate said they sank our ship as I was going underneath theirs, and released the barrel intent on shooting it, but it blew up on contact so I died too but lesson learned on deploying sea mines. We respawned nearby and sailed back to that outpost and caught them sailing away, and sank them in a battle where it was apparent they were the more experienced crew. A megalodon spawned during that fight so we had to sail away and lose it before tracing the dotted line on our map back to recover the spoils. We took their chests and started sailing east to a different outpost just as their ship was returning on the horizon. One of our crew jumped off the brig at Reaper's Hideout to turn in their reaper flag and make them think we docked there. The next outpost we passed also had a ship docked so we sailed all the way out to the volcano island and then, 15 minutes later, began selling their chests, hoping they were getting the popup notifications.

Reiley fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Feb 1, 2021

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.
Dumb question: if a friend and myself want to play this together, from scratch, how much intro/tutorial filler would we need to play separately before we can link up and hang out together.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Besson posted:

Dumb question: if a friend and myself want to play this together, from scratch, how much intro/tutorial filler would we need to play separately before we can link up and hang out together.

There's a short Maiden Voyage quest that teaches you all the menus and gives you a basic version of every item, then has you sail an S-shaped pattern through some clouds and that's it. Like maybe 10 minutes tops.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Major Isoor posted:

Oh drat, I love it when that happens - then comes the race to the nearest outpost before they can come back to get you! :D (Out of curiosity, did you stay in the alliance when you sold it all, or did you leave it, so they didn't get a cut at all? haha)

They disbanded the alliance after shooting at us, so nothing for them! Although I would've probably left anyway, because I wouldn't want to be on their map after that. Serves them right for underestimating sloops!

Reiley posted:

There's an achievement you get for hauling 20 chests on board at once. My crew is all reknown 25-30 range and one of our members keeps insisting on doing this, with how many chests our current voyages actually give this keeps feeling like a bad idea and we keep having to tell him, not yet. Wait until we are stronger.

e: Someone flying reaper's sank our brig earlier while we were docked in port. We weren't sure if they'd be friendly or not since we didn't notice the reaper flag so I was swimming around the other side of the island with a gunpowder keg. My crewmate said they sank our ship as I was going underneath theirs, and released the barrel intent on shooting it, but it blew up on contact so I died too but lesson learned on deploying sea mines. We respawned nearby and sailed back to that outpost and caught them sailing away, and sank them in a battle where it was apparent they were the more experienced crew. A megalodon spawned during that fight so we had to sail away and lose it before tracing the dotted line on our map back to recover the spoils. We took their chests and started sailing east to a different outpost just as their ship was returning on the horizon. One of our crew jumped off the brig at Reaper's Hideout to turn in their reaper flag and make them think we docked there. The next outpost we passed also had a ship docked so we sailed all the way out to the volcano island and then, 15 minutes later, began selling their chests, hoping they were getting the popup notifications.

Maybe that was it... it was odd that they were all captain's chests though. That's what made me think emissary or gilded.

Awesome story. I'll bet your heart was racing like crazy while you loaded everything on board before they got back.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

DeadlyMuffin posted:

They disbanded the alliance after shooting at us, so nothing for them! Although I would've probably left anyway, because I wouldn't want to be on their map after that. Serves them right for underestimating sloops!

Maybe that was it... it was odd that they were all captain's chests though. That's what made me think emissary or gilded.

Awesome story. I'll bet your heart was racing like crazy while you loaded everything on board before they got back.
Half the chests were glitched where we couldn't interact with them so after one last harpoon attempt it was "okay, find a faraway outpost and lets get out of here."

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Oh whoops, I'd forgotten about that. Yeah, good call.
And yeah, sloops are great! Kitted out with a decent amount of balls and planks, and you can take anything on

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

How does PvP on a solo sloop work against any sort of multiple-person crew? It seems hard to steer, bail, repair and fire the cannons all by yourself. I fought a kraken on a solo sloop and got away but it felt like it was generously waiting for me while I went below deck to bail and plug holes, which I don't imagine other players will do.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Reiley posted:

How does PvP on a solo sloop work against any sort of multiple-person crew? It seems hard to steer, bail, repair and fire the cannons all by yourself. I fought a kraken on a solo sloop and got away but it felt like it was generously waiting for me while I went below deck to bail and plug holes, which I don't imagine other players will do.

All depends on the skill of the crew you're fighting. The relatively short distances on a sloop make it easiet to get around to everything, but a few subsequent hits or getting blown off the ship and it's hard to recover.

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, señor!

Thief posted:

spawncamping a sloop
This is something people actually do?

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

Yes. Either to raid your supplies, or to be a dick. Or both. There's a lot of dicks in Sea of Thieves.

Don't forget that inter-crew communication in Arena was so toxic, that Rare just turned it off completely in the last update.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
The new merchant voyage is...At the merchant.

Sure you can get one from Larinna but go to the docks by your ship and pick it up from the merchant.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Reiley posted:

As a solo slooper in combat, it is *critical* that you not get knocked off your ship. Stay on board until you really think boarding is the best option. Do not get boarded. Do not get shot off. Never stop, always keep moving.

Second: assess the abilities of your opponent. If they're worse than you you might be able to make it work. I've sunk galleons solo slooping, but it's when you see stupid poo poo like 3 people in the water swimming for you after you've shot them up that you might have a chance.

Third: discretion is the better part of valor, don't be afraid to run. Sloops are the fastest ship directly into the wind, so go dummy sails and sail upwind if you have to. There's also sailing into the red sea as a spite suicide, if it really comes to that. You're also way more manuverable. Go slollom shipwreck bay.

Finally: one thing I've done in combat as a solo slooper is call for help. Hop on the SoT discord looking for crew page and say "I'm a solo sloop being attacked by a galleon, does anyone good at pvp want to fight?". You'll probably get someone. Hell, you might get me :-)

DeadlyMuffin fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Feb 1, 2021

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

That's a good writeup and about what I suspected, thanks! The "don't get hit" principle in action.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

dialhforhero posted:

The new merchant voyage is...At the merchant.

Sure you can get one from Larinna but go to the docks by your ship and pick it up from the merchant.

To elaborate on this a little: the one from Larinna has randomized loot, while the one from the Merchant Alliance scales the loot to your level.

bbchops
Jul 26, 2001

Ho ho ho! I'll have the same again!
Nap Ghost

Pattonesque posted:

Basically you gotta get really good at sailing, spotting, and ship to ship combat. If they never make it on board you’re fine but that requires you to be really on the ball about calling out and blundering boarders

Yeah, that's what literally and figurative sunk us last time. We let them get broadside-on directly behind us, while dead in the water. Not tactically inspired.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Reiley posted:

That's a good writeup and about what I suspected, thanks! The "don't get hit" principle in action.

yeah in essence you have to cause more problems for the enemy than they do for you.

a fire is a problem but it's a problem you can handle. so is patching holes. so is a boarder. all three of those at the same time is a sunk ship

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Reiley posted:

You can run downstairs rather than sit on the wheel at risk of being knocked off. Solo sloop combat is hard though.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
When does this season end?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
3 months