Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
I thought he would want to stick around for redistricting, but he can probably do that as a highly paid consultant.

If he's gone, that's good for redistricting because the Latino Caucus will have one more member, hopefully we don't get screwed for another 10 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Honestly I'm just trying to wrap my head around the realization that he's been in that seat for 50 goddamn years.

Jows
May 8, 2002

Cattail Prophet posted:

Honestly I'm just trying to wrap my head around the realization that he's been in that seat for 50 goddamn years.

Is power and influence that cool? Like 50 years - gently caress off if I'm still working after 50 years. loving boomers had everything handed to them and they just never learned to let go, did they?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Nearly every level of government in this country is a gerontocracy of people who won't retire before they're 90

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

yup, see feinstein filing paperwork to run again at 91. sometimes I think they just don't know what else to do

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

FuturePastNow posted:

Nearly every level of government in this country is a gerontocracy of people who won't retire before they're 90

Fuckin' idiots man. The instant I have opportunity to never work again I'm out and gonna spend whatever time I got left camping and hiking.

I guess I can accept that some people find different things fun and corrupting government might be one of those things, but after 55? They crazy.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Average age in the US House and Senate has climbed very steadily since the 80's. Everyone who got into power back then is still clinging on to it today.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Man_of_Teflon posted:

yup, see feinstein filing paperwork to run again at 91. sometimes I think they just don't know what else to do

TBF that's probably money related. Need to file paperwork to move campaign money around.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

brugroffil posted:

Average age in the US House and Senate has climbed very steadily since the 80's. Everyone who got into power back then is still clinging on to it today.

To be fair, we keep electing these people. Although lots of times there isn't much choice in the matter.

Power is definitely one of those things that people don't like to let go, and the sort of people who run for office, are the kind of people who really want to be in power. Coaching is another good example, where you'll see coaches, who at the professional level are making millions a year, and they just keep going into their 70s. All of these people could have easily retired in their 50s, but then you don't get to have a say in how things go when you're retired.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

brugroffil posted:

To be fair, so has the age of mortality. Imagine how many politicians would still be around from the 60s if statins and healthy living were a thing then.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well it was just announced that covid has reduced the national life expectancy by 1.1 years, so maybe this is mother nature trying to level the playing field and putting millenials in charge.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.

CaptainJuan posted:

If anybody's interested in the upcoming chicago Ward remap, this starts at 7:30:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h40Wakge9r4

crossposted from the Chicago LAN thread

CaptainJuan fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jan 20, 2021

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know when the state sends out the tax forms for unemployment recipients?

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

Soonmot posted:

Does anyone know when the state sends out the tax forms for unemployment recipients?

My wife's was available online last night. Didn't get the notification email until about an hour ago, though.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

WescottF1 posted:

My wife's was available online last night. Didn't get the notification email until about an hour ago, though.

EDIT: NM just had to go to the REQUEST 1099 section

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jan 30, 2021

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/hannahmeisel/status/1355907600999739392?s=20

lol good loving luck my guy

prediction time - in 2022 will kizinger:

1) lose his primary
2) retire before the primary
3) try to run as an independent
4) switch parties and become a Democrat
5) become an insane person

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Badger of Basra posted:

https://twitter.com/hannahmeisel/status/1355907600999739392?s=20

lol good loving luck my guy

prediction time - in 2022 will kizinger:

1) lose his primary
2) retire before the primary
3) try to run as an independent
4) switch parties and become a Democrat
5) become an insane person

He is trying to get a niche as a "rational Republican". My guess is he wants to take on JB for Governor or is angling for Durbin's seat when he retires. His politics isn't for a national level or even on his local level exactly, it is Illinois state level.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Djarum posted:

He is trying to get a niche as a "rational Republican". My guess is he wants to take on JB for Governor or is angling for Durbin's seat when he retires. His politics isn't for a national level or even on his local level exactly, it is Illinois state level.

Yep he’s going for Romney Republican. I sincerely wish him luck in rescuing his party from the nuts but he’s got a long road ahead and no guarantee of success.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Oracle posted:

Yep he’s going for Romney Republican. I sincerely wish him luck in rescuing his party from the nuts but he’s got a long road ahead and no guarantee of success.

His focus seems to be really on Illinois. I assume his idea is to jump from likely Governor to run for President in 8-12 years. He isn’t stupid enough to think that you can win statewide in Illinois as a raving loon. We can spend the next year being put on TV as the “rational, normal” Republican. He can announce he is running for Governor in a year saying that he is going to “bring common sense” or some other nonsense to Illinois.

Do I think it will work? It is to be debated. JB has been doing a lot of stuff right. As long as the vaccine doesn’t get bungled and there is no major scandal involving him I don’t see how he will he defeated at this point. That being said two years is a very long time in politics and in our current world about 40 years in perceived time.

I don’t see him going after Duckworth since it would basically be suicide for him. 6 years is a long time to wait and see if Durbin retires. Which he would have an easier path potentially there as the Democratic Primary there will be a bloodbath. There is at least 5 potential candidates there and likely a lot of big money thrown at all of them. Who knows how damaged they will be coming out of it and the more they are the easier it is for someone like him to pick at all the wounds.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran
One of my uncles is a diehard right winger and he and all his fellow CHUD friends are calling for Kinzinger's impeachment all the time on Facebook. Republicans are so quick to turn on each other as soon as one steps off the party line.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Not even off the party line, just stepping into “criticize trump for lying and inciting an insurrection”. He is Republican on everything but trump.

Before January 6th, I only saw Kinzinger as gunning for Governor which is why Bailey was attacking him as being a liberal. Then January 6th happened and I think Kinzinger saw a path beyond just Illinois.

At the very best for him, he is set to take over a “sane” Republican Party and run in 2024 and at the very worst, he is set to run as Governor for a generally “saner” R party in Illinois.

In the end, I do not know if there is enough moderate R votes to counteract the crazy R votes. His best bet is to get non Rs to vote in the R primary.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

At the very best for him, he is set to take over a “sane” Republican Party and run in 2024 and at the very worst, he is set to run as Governor for a generally “saner” R party in Illinois.

In the end, I do not know if there is enough moderate R votes to counteract the crazy R votes. His best bet is to get non Rs to vote in the R primary.

That is what Rauner did, and Pat Quinn was less of a fuckup than Pritzker.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Huh?

My understanding was Quinn hosed up every relationship he had with his voting/power base.

He easily could’ve beaten Rauner if he didn’t damage those

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
lmao at thinking Pritzker is more of a gently caress up than Quinn was.

Quinn barely retained and then lost to Rauner.

Pritzker is far far more liked generally than Quinn ever was.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Not sure how he compares with Quinn, but sadly I don’t think most people like his COVID response which is kind of a big deal.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I can’t find any recent polls, but he was in the mid 50s for approval back in September. I’m not sure why it would have changed that much since then.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Honestly, there seem to be two kinds of people on Pritzker’s COVID response:

1) generally favorable while acknowledging he can only do so much to enforce it (probably lower than it would normally be due to people wanting more restrictions)

2) YOU CANT TELL ME WAHT TO DO MAH RIGHTS OPEN ER UP!

The enforcement has really been an unfortunate thorn in his side. When you can’t get mayors to go along, your words only go so far.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
I'm all about masks, but Pritzker has waffled on everything about COVID, including having the worst vaccination rate of any large state.

He hosed up his signature issue of Fair Tax.

He didn't do poo poo about racial equity during one of the largest movements in the country.

Motherfucker is a failure. He's as bad as Lightfoot but he has enough money to cover it up.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Bird in a Blender posted:

I can’t find any recent polls, but he was in the mid 50s for approval back in September. I’m not sure why it would have changed that much since then.

Illinois became last in the nation at administering the rona vaccine

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

That seems at odds with this, which puts us at 37th. Not exactly glowing I know, but not last.

https://www.beckershospitalreview.com/public-health/states-ranked-by-percentage-of-covid-19-vaccines-administered.html

Big Black Dick
Mar 20, 2009

The X-man cometh posted:

I'm all about masks, but Pritzker has waffled on everything about COVID, including having the worst vaccination rate of any large state.

He hosed up his signature issue of Fair Tax.

He didn't do poo poo about racial equity during one of the largest movements in the country.

Motherfucker is a failure. He's as bad as Lightfoot but he has enough money to cover it up.

Pritzker isn't as far left as I'd like, but this screams "perfect is the enemy of good" to me. We're not going to get a DSA governor as much as that would rule.

Yes, the fair tax went down in flames somehow despite 60% positive polling on it. They'll be analyzing that forever and it is indefensible.

However, he's already pardoned or commuted sentences for a TON of non-violent drug offenders and Illinois is set to become the first state in the country to outlaw cash bail with a flick of his pen. That's hardly nothing for issues that disproportionately affect BIPOC.

He's absolutely not a failure and comparing him to Lightfoot is laughable. Barring some October surprise nonsense, I'm guessing he coasts to a second term without much fanfare. I cannot confidently say the same about Lightfoot if she even bothers to run again.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Also based on polls of other world and state leaders, voters don't really seem to care if you gently caress up the COVID response so long as you look like you care on TV.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I’m not necessarily criticizing him, I voted for him in the primary against supposedly more progressive Dems. I just think there’s a lot of people who right or wrong don’t like the changing metrics he uses to move between mitigation levels, are annoyed he’s rich enough that his family can just go to Florida and avoid them, and many who, out of all things, are really mad about the IHSA not running sports until now.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
Pritzker’s main problem is his continuing dumb PR fuckups: the toilet tax dodge, his wife heading to Florida while he tells people to avoid travel.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

KDdidit posted:

I’m not necessarily criticizing him, I voted for him in the primary against supposedly more progressive Dems.

Supposedly? Did you fall for the establishment lies? Biss and Pawar were so much more progressive, but they spread bullshit about all of Pritzker's opponents.

Same with Kwame Raoul and Goldstein, the public defender who wanted to defend the police in 2018.

The X-man cometh fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Feb 1, 2021

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
https://twitter.com/hannahmeisel/status/1356021622260559873?s=19

Another state house resignation. He ran for some judgeship a while back and lost

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

The X-man cometh posted:

Supposedly? Did you fall for the establishment lies? Biss and Pawar were so much more progressive, but they spread bullshit about all of Pritzker's opponents.

Same with Kwame Raoul and Goldstein, the public defender who wanted to defend the police in 2018.

It was Kennedy for the trifecta, not Pawar.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

CaptainJuan posted:

https://twitter.com/hannahmeisel/status/1356021622260559873?s=19

Another state house resignation. He ran for some judgeship a while back and lost

It is pretty surprising to see how “young” the House D group is. But then we see the House and Senate Rs and it may explain the partisan split that is appearing.

http://twitter.com/JohnAmdor/status/1356068379719774208

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Illinois continues to take weekends off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Willa Rogers posted:

It was Kennedy for the trifecta, not Pawar.

I thought Kennedy was a blah liberal, Pawar was the one who wanted Universal Income and the state to take over utilities.