Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Squaw also has an interesting setup with some of their corrals. Used to be they’d just have some number of lanes and an employee directing traffic at a single merge. Now they just merge two lanes at a time with the expectation that folks alternate. They mostly do. That’s fine.

Except that some of the lifts have, say, six lanes. Which means that two of the lanes have one fewer merge than the rest of them, and go twice as fast. But you can’t tell from the outside before heading up the first time which lanes those are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I still can't believe how popular skiing/snowboarding has gotten over the past 20 years.

I love it and hate it at the same time.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

bawfuls posted:

Greetings from hell

You mean Mammoth doesn't look like that every weekend? Could have fooled me

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Love how almost everyone’s face I can see doesn’t have anything covering their nose.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
Apparently our lift lines were pretty gnarly before the mountain opened today. That’s why I chose to wake up with a hangover and not get out until 11:30. Never waited more than 10 minutes :smug:

I also found an eighth under the lift while looking for something my wife dropped, which we did not find.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Today did not suck. Started off with about 2 hours a beacon and rescue practice. There was another group in the same area of about 16 people so I figured it had to be a class but nope just some other people out practice. I had to commend us all for practicing while getting nuked on all day. Then we went and took two laps.

Partial Octopus on his second day touring

My lady laying it down (bonus our dog following my track)

Dog being a dog

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
OMG THAT DOGGE :3:

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

HookShot posted:

OMG THAT DOGGE :3:

I can confirm with first hand experience that Fry is an excellent dog

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Eejit posted:

I can confirm with first hand experience that Fry is an excellent dog

He was the goodest boy

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

spwrozek always giving me the timely reminder that I need to tour more

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

bawfuls posted:

spwrozek always giving me the timely reminder that I need to tour more

In comparison to that lift line post... for sure.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

On that subject, another nicety of Tahoe snow pack is that after a 6 foot dump the avy danger is already down to moderate

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
We had three skier triggered avalanches here yesterday, only one death but all of them included burials. Two of them were park city sidecountry.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

In the process of rejiggering my split setup with the new Karakorams and skins, but in no real hurry to get out into avy terrain. North San Juan zone is a spicy meatball at the moment.

Also does anyone know what app they’re using here to make avy reports?

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Looks like theodolite if you’re on iOS

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/theodolite/id339393884

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Moot .1415926535 posted:

In the process of rejiggering my split setup with the new Karakorams and skins, but in no real hurry to get out into avy terrain. North San Juan zone is a spicy meatball at the moment.

Also does anyone know what app they’re using here to make avy reports?

I welcome our cyborg skiing overlords.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

It's all spicy out there. We were planning something slightly adventurous today but are going to a way more mellow and protected zone that we know well instead.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I know it's nothing like what others are getting but it looks like we might get 15"-19" in this northeastern storm.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Yuns posted:

I know it's nothing like what others are getting but it looks like we might get 15"-19" in this northeastern storm.

All snow is worth celebrating!

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Yuns posted:

I’m already taking tomorrow morning off to ski, trying to figure if I can swing Wednesday too

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Idaho National Lab?

Yep (I suppose saying I work west of Idaho Falls doesn't leave a whole lot of other choices, I doubt Arco has many jobs open.)
Last Friday went to McCauley Mountain, a small place (~600 vert) in Old Forge (about an hour north of Utica).

Great place, wasn't crowded at all and has some great tree runs. Even has a T-bar! (though it wasn't running Friday, think it might be weekends only). Does get a bit cold, was about -10 when I arrived. (Not as bad as Whiteface can get at the top at least)

Plus, only 25 bucks.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Today was a good one. My girlfriend refusing not not take videos unless they are tallwise. Even when I ask. It is a mystery.... enjoy these odd videos.

Tried to do a nose butter 180 and flip out but the snow was pretty thick. She was not impressed obviously.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2pnK9bhFs0

Little shifty wind lip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoE0SkGapDA

Dropping off another wind lip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvgnxAqiTHQ

Little bonus lap (thanks to the people for putting in the ski track) on the way back to the car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfTtTyskzSs

Bonus Dog pics!

Waiting for me to come down (my GF didn't want to top out again)

I am a good dog

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

How old is your dog and how did you approach the process of getting him/her ready to ski with you? Obviously off leash obedience is important but just wondering about it now that I’ve seen how much mine loves the snow.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

bawfuls posted:

How old is your dog and how did you approach the process of getting him/her ready to ski with you? Obviously off leash obedience is important but just wondering about it now that I’ve seen how much mine loves the snow.

We started taking him when he was about 1 year old. Before that the deep snow can mess with their joints. We did an obedience class with him and he is really good. Sits and stays, good recall, etc. This is pretty important. He also has basically no prey drive which is more just a nice to have. He is trained to either lead if the skin track is in and he feels like running or he generally will follow right behind me. He sometimes still steps on skis but dragging a can behind you can help train that out of him to stay a bit further back. We generally leap frog him down the slope but he also will just follow me down if it is just the 2 of us. The biggest thing is keeping the dog away from your skis. We have a rescue harness for him. An empty Talenti is awesome for putting the poop bag in (no smell!). I would start small and go from there.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sounds about right. She is 1 year now so I was thinking of taking her on a very low key low angle kind of tour this year, preferably a spot that’s not busy so she isn’t distracted by other people or dogs. I’ve never heard of the can trick before to train them to keep distance from skis, that is clever.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

spwrozek posted:

Today was a good one. My girlfriend refusing not not take videos unless they are tallwise. Even when I ask. It is a mystery.... enjoy these odd videos.

Those are some beautiful looking turns.

Is it too sketchy for the stuff above you? I figure yes based on what you’ve said but man that looks tempting.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

ought ten posted:

Those are some beautiful looking turns.

Is it too sketchy for the stuff above you? I figure yes based on what you’ve said but man that looks tempting.

Some of it is steeper than we wanted to ride. Some of it isn't connected very well so you go down a bit and it gets too flat. Some of it looks like it has ok coverage but it is just barely covering the rocks so it is not a good idea to go down it.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

I took two or three really good turns on this hike to terrain today and then hit a rock, like actually the rock, that sent me flying into the air. I figured like 10” of ptex was gonna be involved but came out with no core shot. A good reminder that the snow is soft but not deep.

Also I really wish I had spent more time taking my dog skiing when he was young enough. Now I have a 95lb housecat.

Moot .1415926535 fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Feb 1, 2021

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

LostCosmonaut posted:

Yep (I suppose saying I work west of Idaho Falls doesn't leave a whole lot of other choices, I doubt Arco has many jobs open.)
Last Friday went to McCauley Mountain, a small place (~600 vert) in Old Forge (about an hour north of Utica).

If I were going to be living in that part of Idaho I'd want to be skiing targhee.

Pebble would be sweet if not for the snow issues.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/CHICAGOCREATUR1...ingawful.com%2F

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Looks like the forecast is correct. We're getting a lot of light dry powder through the night. I've been shoveling out the driveway this morning. But it looks like roads may be too dangerous today so I'll miss out on the first runs. I should have stayed at the resort overnight instead of coming back home.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

This has been the unofficial motto since at least the 90s.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

If I were going to be living in that part of Idaho I'd want to be skiing targhee.

Agreed, Targhee is a gem and not much farther a drive. Stellar snow, too.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

I'm stuck at home unable to get out to the resort until tomorrow so to not waste a powder day I rode next to my yard.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

looks prefect for a Pow Surfer. now you must by one to use once a year in your yard.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Checking out the powsurf website right now. Looks like one would be super fun.

casque
Mar 17, 2009

Steve French posted:

Squaw also has an interesting setup with some of their corrals. Used to be they’d just have some number of lanes and an employee directing traffic at a single merge. Now they just merge two lanes at a time with the expectation that folks alternate. They mostly do. That’s fine.

Except that some of the lifts have, say, six lanes. Which means that two of the lanes have one fewer merge than the rest of them, and go twice as fast. But you can’t tell from the outside before heading up the first time which lanes those are.

Yeah, I noticed this on Squaw one (middle lines are faster). Did you see it elsewhere?

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Yuns posted:

Looks like the forecast is correct. We're getting a lot of light dry powder through the night. I've been shoveling out the driveway this morning. But it looks like roads may be too dangerous today so I'll miss out on the first runs. I should have stayed at the resort overnight instead of coming back home.

I just got home from Blue Mountain, it was great day. Probably 8-10 inches of fresh stuff this morning and it was still coming down hard the whole time I was there. Roads were fine getting there, but going home did kinda suck with the wind blowing so much making it near impossible to see going past some sections of snowdrifts.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

casque posted:

Yeah, I noticed this on Squaw one (middle lines are faster). Did you see it elsewhere?

Yeah, KT had the same 6 line setup on Friday.

Big Blue has another weird arrangement: three lines, where the middle one merges either to the left or the right. I think the idea is that people in that line should alternate which way they merge, and would also make that line twice as fast. But often you just see a string of people blindly going the same way as the people in front of them. Happened to us; we were in the right line and it went super fast because everyone in the middle was going left.

Squaw is really at the forefront of lift line corral innovation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Varg posted:

I just got home from Blue Mountain, it was great day. Probably 8-10 inches of fresh stuff this morning and it was still coming down hard the whole time I was there. Roads were fine getting there, but going home did kinda suck with the wind blowing so much making it near impossible to see going past some sections of snowdrifts.
Great that you were able to get out there and back. It's been coming down all day. Mountain Creek is reporting 9+ as of mid day but where I live we have been getting 16+ as of mid day which is why I could ride the hills next to my house.