Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Rinkles posted:

And the 3D Controller itself was heavily inspired by this MegaDrive pad

The fundamental ergonomics of modern controllers all the way back in 1989!

kinda reminds me of the black lodge symbol from twin peaks, you know, the one you don't ever want to know about lol

edit; somebody talented plz photoshop that thing onto johnny silverhand's head or the like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Akuma posted:

So then... what happens?

To expound on this a bit, Morimura explains that when she skipped the reset by being backed up in Sector 0 that she's now just an AI personality - fine, okay, but she explicitly says that her body died when the reset happened.

So something happens to the bodies in the pods and it restarts, growing new kids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nh-QOzHmr5s

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

lol

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Was feeling anime as gently caress and noticed both Gravity Rush games are on sale. Anything I should know going in?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

haveblue posted:

Was feeling anime as gently caress and noticed both Gravity Rush games are on sale. Anything I should know going in?
The second one has huge amounts of story content based around even the minor NPC‘s in the first one, so remember who they are I guess? Better than I did anyway.

Edit: in a more practical sense I guess, get ready for a kind of air movement system that isn’t like anything else. You have to set a direction and then propel yourself that way, and if you want to change direction you have to stop and do that again. In the second game they greatly increased your ability to curve your trajectory once you’ve started moving, but in the first one you can hardly do that at all.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Feb 1, 2021

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The second one plays much better and the open world is tons better but it won’t make much sense if you skip the first one.

Kat (player character) is a really pleasant character in both.

You may see some references to online content and Dusty Tokens being removed in the second one, it was almost entirely cosmetic items and nothing that was available online only is all that impactful. You can still do treasure hunts but it’s really hard to find them without the online photo hints from other players.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Samurai Sanders posted:

The second one has huge amounts of story content based around even the minor NPC‘s in the first one, so remember who they are I guess? Better than I did anyway.

Could you go into GR2 blind or would you be lost without playing the first game? Also, does the online stuff being dead affect much in the game? I think I remember hearing it was unimportant except for being related to a trophy or two?

Edit: Thanks Midjack /\/\/\

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

SUNKOS posted:

Could you go into GR2 blind or would you be lost without playing the first game? Also, does the online stuff being dead affect much in the game? I think I remember hearing it was unimportant except for being related to a trophy or two?
The first part of GR2 takes place in a new environment with new characters and stuff, but about halfway through you go back to the old place for quite a long time and all the characters there are like hey how have you been! And I didn’t remember or care who tf any of them were. That’s the serious weak point of the game I think.

As for online, is it really shut off for good? I really liked the picture scavenger hunt thing, even though it became way too easy towards the end.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

SUNKOS posted:

Edit: Thanks Midjack /\/\/\

:cheerdoge:

You could go into GR2 blind; as Sanders says the first half of it is in a new world though there are some callbacks to GR1 even before you return to the GR1 world (Hekesville). Many of the characters in Hekesville during GR2 will refer to things in the first game and you’ll miss a lot of those moments without GR1. The true ending of GR2 will be completely nonsensical if you didn’t finish the first game. I recommend playing them both in order.

Samurai Sanders posted:

As for online, is it really shut off for good? I really liked the picture scavenger hunt thing, even though it became way too easy towards the end.

Yeah they pulled the servers a couple of years ago and it’s unlikely ever to return.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I loved Gravity Rush 1 enough that I bought it thrice (physical Vita, lost it, bought it again on digital, then the PS4 remaster) but I really disliked 2. A lot of it just felt like retreading familiar ground that the first game already did a retreading on and some of the changes to the story felt weird, like it feels so offputting to have Kat just throwing humans off the edge of towns to their deaths with her gravity powers. The graphics look a lot better, the new town looks great, but it didn't feel all that more advanced to me from the original Vita game. The new item accessory tchotchke seemed kind of unnecessary and I went through a majority of the game without ever needing to utilize either of the two new gravity "modes" they cooked up.

The last 10% though veers from fantastic to cringey at times. If it were just DLC for the first game, like a "True Ending" as it were, I would have been happy enough. That being said if you play GR1 and really enjoy it then it's worth playing through it yourself to see the answers to all the questions in the first game. I didn't like the overall experience but I'm still content with having played it.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I agree with most of what he said. I was really won over by the colorful and unique environments(in contrast to the mostly brown and same of the first game), and Kat is always fun as a character, but nothing that they added to the gameplay really did anything for me. Fighting humans should never have even been considered for this series, and the accessory system and diving for them was incredibly half assed when it could’ve been so cool.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

GR2 was way better. Hella better. Astoundingly fun game to control and manipulate.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Policenaut posted:

I loved Gravity Rush 1 enough that I bought it thrice (physical Vita, lost it, bought it again on digital, then the PS4 remaster) but I really disliked 2. A lot of it just felt like retreading familiar ground that the first game already did a retreading on and some of the changes to the story felt weird, like it feels so offputting to have Kat just throwing humans off the edge of towns to their deaths with her gravity powers. The graphics look a lot better, the new town looks great, but it didn't feel all that more advanced to me from the original Vita game. The new item accessory tchotchke seemed kind of unnecessary and I went through a majority of the game without ever needing to utilize either of the two new gravity "modes" they cooked up.

The last 10% though veers from fantastic to cringey at times. If it were just DLC for the first game, like a "True Ending" as it were, I would have been happy enough. That being said if you play GR1 and really enjoy it then it's worth playing through it yourself to see the answers to all the questions in the first game. I didn't like the overall experience but I'm still content with having played it.

I agree that in a lot of respects 2 wasn't great, but the unique aspects still amply justify its existence. Beggars can't be choosers.

Although I wonder if it would've performed as poorly if they had a Nintendo-tier developer working on its gameplay ideas and feel.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
They never went all the way with the idea of moving through the air merely by choosing the direction you fall. It was always kind of a hybrid between that and flying like Superman, which I think dissatisfied a lot of people who wanted it to be all the way one or the other.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Best Gravity Rush content

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0INIMjvtCL4

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

my single favorite videogame commercial of all time

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The issues I've been having in GoT is mostly crowd control and managing aggro. Like showdowns always lead to fighting a half dozen guys, and with the combat being very focused on dodging and striking or parrying, when you have to deal with a bunch of guys all with different weapons coming at you at the same time its hard to deal with. Also the heavies have that annoying thing where they attack you dodge, but by the time you've finished dodging they're already attacking you so there isn't a chance to attack them. I figure as i crawl up the skill tree it will get easier but right now its brutal.

Or maybe because I went south to do the Blacksmith quest rather than the archer first.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

They never went all the way with the idea of moving through the air merely by choosing the direction you fall. It was always kind of a hybrid between that and flying like Superman, which I think dissatisfied a lot of people who wanted it to be all the way one or the other.

I kinda disagree since the coolest feeling and most dramatic way to get around was added in 2 and it's basically just launching yourself into a grav-kick and chaining that into another grav-kick, which never stops being awesome.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Escobarbarian posted:

I GOT SCAMMED BY THE BANK LADY

Hey, at least you're not gonna lose that geo when you die.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Samurai Sanders posted:

I agree with most of what he said. I was really won over by the colorful and unique environments(in contrast to the mostly brown and same of the first game)

This is what turns me off the first game and has me wondering how bad it would be jumping right into the sequel, is that the second game looks to have so many stunning and varied locations whereas the first game seems to be very brown without much (or any?) variety.

I saw that apparently the artistic direction was inspired by French artist Moebius which you can definitely tell when there's buildings in the distance that are untextured and merely colored by the clouds/fog, but it looks like this was realized much better in GR2 than the original game.

I know that I'd be missing out on story beats but according to video reviews it mainly revolves around class war? If I wanted a good story on that topic there's no shortage of good books or even recent movies such as Parasite, but the prospect of flying around a Moebius world is very appealing (and why I have my eyes on Sable also) and one where the unique traversal mechanics and design would make item collection quite fun compared to most games where it's more of a chore. I think I saw somewhere as well that at some point you get to visit the location of the first game in GR2? Is that correct? I might have misunderstood something in one of the videos that I watched but it seems like it would be fun to visit in a more varied game such as GR2, but become dull rather fast with a whole game built around it. It does have a charm to it, though.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

kinda reminds me of the black lodge symbol from twin peaks, you know, the one you don't ever want to know about lol

edit; somebody talented plz photoshop that thing onto johnny silverhand's head or the like

The card version gives me the willies for some reason

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

SUNKOS posted:

I think I saw somewhere as well that at some point you get to visit the location of the first game in GR2? Is that correct? I might have misunderstood something in one of the videos that I watched but it seems like it would be fun to visit in a more varied game such as GR2, but become dull rather fast with a whole game built around it. It does have a charm to it, though.

Yes, about half of GR2 happens in Hekesville, the setting of GR1. It’s definitely not as colorful as Jirga Para Lhao, the main city of GR2, though there is a slum area there that is very drab and dark, reminiscent of Hekesville.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

That's awesome, I like when games do that even though it's rare, it can be great seeing locations from the prior game brought into the sequel like that. Seems like GR2 will be perfect for me :)

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Akuma posted:

Isnt that just rumours?

Its from someone who got all the first ps5 showcase lineup right, cept for ff16, which only got moved when they split it up to gently caress with leakers, so :shrug:

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Feb 1, 2021

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

bows1 posted:

I looked at both their twitters and they seem like irredeemable idiots ?

Edit - oh gently caress this Jeff pos helped write Dragonlance? That makes me sad.

Jeff had the whole of the summer of games big line up leaked and teased, i dont know what he does in his spare time nor do i care. I want to hype myself and others up with the bare minimum :colbert:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

twistedmentat posted:

The issues I've been having in GoT is mostly crowd control and managing aggro. Like showdowns always lead to fighting a half dozen guys, and with the combat being very focused on dodging and striking or parrying, when you have to deal with a bunch of guys all with different weapons coming at you at the same time its hard to deal with. Also the heavies have that annoying thing where they attack you dodge, but by the time you've finished dodging they're already attacking you so there isn't a chance to attack them. I figure as i crawl up the skill tree it will get easier but right now its brutal.

Or maybe because I went south to do the Blacksmith quest rather than the archer first.

As bad rear end as it feels to be an invincible parry master samurai sometimes you do need to deploy the ghost weapons for a bit of crowd control

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Vikar Jerome posted:

Its from someone who got all the first ps5 showcase lineup right, cept for ff16, which only got moved when they split it up to gently caress with leakers, so :shrug:

Hey I've been dying for an excuse to replay Death Stranding after I read the art book for it so hell yeah gimme a PS5 Director's Cut. Maybe they can put in some of these loving terrifying BTs they cut because "they felt too video gamey"

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Vikar Jerome posted:

Segway, hope none of you non ps5 havers like death stranding cos its getting an extended edition for ps5 with new story content. Goodnight.

beanpole's NOT replaying that game :thumbsup:

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

This is so dope I watched it once and immediate bought both games.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

beanpole's NOT replaying that game :thumbsup:

New content is mgs0 tho (neverbgameoooover)

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I could really do with a massive meandering jrpg to chill through atm but it would need to have minimal anime

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

fridge corn posted:

I could really do with a massive meandering jrpg to chill through atm but it would need to have minimal anime

but every one of those we give you...you end up hating...

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Redezga posted:

This is so dope I watched it once and immediate bought both games.

another PS4 Thread Victory™

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

fridge corn posted:

Maybe try some CRPGs? They are massive, meandering and have no anime.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

but every one of those we give you...you end up hating...

I seem to like the jrpgs that no one likes for some reason, Lost Sphear for example. Tho DQ11 was good too. I am looking forward to yakuza 7 when the ps5 version comes out

veni veni veni posted:

Maybe try some CRPGs? They are massive, meandering and have no anime.

Yeah, I'm in the middle of a playthrough of Divinity original sin 2 and that's a good game. Only problem is I started playing it with lady corn but started my own save file too which is now further ahead of our co-op game so I cant really play it when shes around

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

It wasnt actually the anime that turned me off of persona 5 tbh. It was the menus and dialog boxes hurting my eyes

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

D:OS2 is an all-timer, maybe the closest a CRPG has ever gotten to recreating the classic tabletop experience.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

fridge corn posted:

It wasnt actually the anime that turned me off of persona 5 tbh. It was the menus and dialog boxes hurting my eyes

NieR remake is soon (heh), as is SMT3 Noctourne remaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

D:OS2 is an all-timer, maybe the closest a CRPG has ever gotten to recreating the classic tabletop experience.

Yeah I'd probably put it on my top 10 games of all time list. It's so good it's ruining the other CRPGs I've been trying to play.