Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

UnknownTarget posted:

You guys remember that one engine that instanced millions of models? "Every atom simulated" or something like that? That was another bust.

Was that the weird engine Youtube videos talking about "Point cloud data" or something like that?
edit: taxxe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Can someone tell me at what point the backers rotated from regarding Chris as the messiah , to now tony z ?

How does Chris feel about being toppled as the programming wunderkind he so proudly parroted every interview he could attend ?

It’s almost like there is a change of power happening behind the scenes , as the new narrative is “tony will fix everything!”

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/3/thread/desync-is-totally-destroying-any-kind-of-team-game

Desync was also acknowledged as one the main issues to be tackled before server meshing can be even be tought of... Aug 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKJfRwjA2RA&t=889s

Early days.

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jan 31, 2021

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
Black ferret chef delivers another fine meal to the thread
(sound)
https://i.imgur.com/leUQ6eS.gifv

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Blue On Blue posted:

Can someone tell me at what point the backers rotated from regarding Chris as the messiah , to now tony z ?

How does Chris feel about being toppled as the programming wunderkind he so proudly parroted every interview he could attend ?

It’s almost like there is a change of power happening behind the scenes , as the new narrative is “tony will fix everything!”

There's always been a little bit of it; "Tony Z is a professional who knows how to translate a vision into a fun game" has been a central tenet of the Citizens' faith from the beginning, right alongside "Erin Roberts is an experienced project lead who can keep Chris Roberts on task." Tony has usually been treated like a star at their Citizen cons, being the guy who'll speak for over an hour about complicated, detailed dreams.txt stuff to fuel theorycrafting for the next year. Plus, he has the haunted, mournful eyes of an extremely depressed sheepdog, which makes him look like he's been working 20+ hour days to make Star Citizen actually happen.

More recently, Chris Roberts has completely checked out of being the public face of the project -- either voluntarily or because the investors who have CIG's junk in an iron grip have ordered it -- and with Erin also no longer appearing in front of cameras (perhaps no lens is wide-angle enough anymore?), Tony Z's been promoted to being their official Visionary And Legendary Game Developer and living proof that not everyone who was there for the kickstarter has left the building yet. I don't know if CIG is officially laying the groundwork for Tony Z to be the new CEO and properly anointed heir to Chris Roberts' glorious empire while Chris pulls a Lord British and scurries out the back door with a mumbled "My work here is done!", because god, who the gently caress even knows or cares what their project management situation is, other than "toxic beyond any hope of recovery."

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

MedicineHut posted:

Desync was also acknowledged as one the main issues to be tackled before server meshing can be even be tought of... Aug 2020

Really? Oh dear...

MAJOR DESYNC ISSUE IN PU 3.12

quote:

- Landed my Retaliator ship on Pad 14
- my friend went down elevator to reveal he was 71km from the station
- i was on the pad but he was 71km from the station

e:

Pixelate posted:

Chess, desynch, servers...

https://v.redd.it/yclrnm6043d61/DASH_480.mp4

with sound

quote:

I just shared this with my buddy playing with me, he never saw any of that or the gforce, crazy

Pixelate fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jan 31, 2021

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Trilobite posted:

Tony has usually been treated like a star at their Citizen cons, being the guy who'll speak for over an hour about complicated, detailed dreams.txt stuff to fuel theorycrafting for the next year.

Can we have the video where Tony Z has droned on for so long on a Cit Con panel that he's actually put Crobblers to sleep?

FAKE EDIT: Never mind, here we go - strap in chaps, things are about to get super interestzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kT2F84mwChk

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001
If anyone's looking for an easy way to tell whether Chris Roberts is still actively involved at CIG, here's the best way:

- If they talk about work on the Mess Hall Scene for Squadron 404, he's still there and employees have to listen to him
- If they don't talk about work on the Mess Hall Scene for Squadron 404, he's probably still there and employees are probably still listening to him
- If someone at CIG tweets or subtweets something about not having to work on the Mess Hall Scene anymore, then Chris is gone for good, and it wasn't a voluntary departure

The Mess Hall is Roberts' white whale: he will never let it go willingly.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
He can never be purged! See what happened when Sean Tracy went rogue, trying to make ToW quick and snappy and fun. It died horribly. Chris can kill a project just by looking at it. He can turn an opponent blue with a thought.

The mess hall will go on forever...

Pixelate fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jan 31, 2021

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

I am the inexplicably yellow face

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Holy poo poo, I’ve only just realised that your mobiglass actually displays the local argon level.

Chris is definitely still running the game...

Pixelate fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jan 31, 2021

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Trilobite posted:

If anyone's looking for an easy way to tell whether Chris Roberts is still actively involved at CIG, here's the best way:

- If they talk about work on the Mess Hall Scene for Squadron 404, he's still there and employees have to listen to him
- If they don't talk about work on the Mess Hall Scene for Squadron 404, he's probably still there and employees are probably still listening to him
- If someone at CIG tweets or subtweets something about not having to work on the Mess Hall Scene anymore, then Chris is gone for good, and it wasn't a voluntary departure

The Mess Hall is Roberts' white whale: he will never let it go willingly.

Yeah I’m in the camp that the Crobbler is still large and in charge over at CIG and still arbitrarily imposing his moronic will on the devs. None of this pointless and fiddly minutiae would still be center stage if Chris wasn’t still at the helm. The minute he either fucks off to a gilded retirement or is pushed out by the investors, there will be a rush to slap some sort of releasable product together and get it out the door.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

colonelwest posted:

Yeah I’m in the camp that the Crobbler is still large and in charge over at CIG and still arbitrarily imposing his moronic will on the devs. None of this pointless and fiddly minutiae would still be center stage if Chris wasn’t still at the helm. The minute he either fucks off to a gilded retirement or is pushed out by the investors, there will be a rush to slap some sort of releasable product together and get it out the door.

When he launched this project he launched it on his abilities and prior games.

I don't think it's an accident that this sort of "cult of personality" about him has sprung up. He was forced out once before, he'd take steps to make it hard for someone to do it again.

His first protection against this was the lack of publisher, but now he has investors to contend with. "The backers will revolt on you, and funding will dry up if you try to remove me from the project" will be his ace in the hole should the investors try to give him the boot.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Wait a second, I'm dropping into this thread for the first time in 4 years, and this looked kind of cool before it exploded. Does the game occasionally do stuff now? Should I bother looking up my account?

thats a person faking like theres momentum in the game by alternating between pressing W and then W+A or W+D. the flying in star citizen is like noclip.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

Cost is not a consideration for balance - full stop. Please stop trying to make it so. It can't be, even if you only consider alien and luxury tax. One of the most expensive ships in the game is a yacht. Do you really think it'll hold it's own to military ships even half it's cost?

Balance is the INTENDED ROLE, not the cost. I'm not delusional; I'm well versed in the devs intent, following this game extremely closely since 2012 and taking the time to understanding the design points and intended balance.

Yes, it'll need balanced - no, it will not be balanced on cost. Rock, paper, scissors. And the "rock" might be $2M, the "paper" $20M, and the "scissors" $2 dollars. ROLES, not values. I don't know how else to express this concrete truth.

quote:

I was likely playing video games when your parents were in diapers. :)

You cannot seem to comprehend that your simple black/white need for price to dictate capability is erroneous. The eclipse costs what it costs not because it's intended to beat everything that costs less, but because it has stealth capabilities (is this useful in every situation? No.) So the value is not as one dimensional (pure combat) as you are trying obtusely to paint it to be.

Why is the Khartu-Al $170, when it doesn't match the combat prowess of a $70 to $90 fighter from human manufacturers? RIGHT THERE, your entire house of cards crumbles. Should I take Chris Roberts to small claims because it only took one Arrow to beat the living poo poo out of my alien light fighter, instead of the two your math dictates?

How about a Vanguard Warden? Why is it that the same said Arrow or a Gladius can eat it's lunch? Where is your value-based math God now?

You're not making any sense. Give it some thought - real thought - and try again.

Safe flying! Better upgrade your shields, because that wallet shield you envision doesn't have nearly as many HP as you think it does...

final note: the Ballista is not a vehicle in this equation - bear with me - it's a collection of munitions. Take those same munitions, and place them on a $4 million super bomber. For argument's sake, let's assume this $4M super bomber can carry the EXACT loadout as the Ballista.

You realize that in this case, they both do the SAME DPS, right?

Now the Ballista is BALANCED, not on $'s, but on the fact that it's terrestrially locked. It also cannot chase ships that fly out of its range. Plenty of balance. If it can get a lock, it should EAT THE INNARDS of an Eclipse with relative ease - I mean, it has the DPS of a $4M bomber, so that's a wash.

Or do you think it should it be balanced in terms of the missiles it has? Maybe 4 size 1s? LOL

L. Ron Hoover
Nov 9, 2009

Mirificus posted:

I was likely playing video games when your parents were in diapers. :)

What a strange flex

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

quote:

I'm not delusional; I'm well versed in the devs intent

I shriek in ever louder mouth sounds as I turn into a newsvan

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Pixelate posted:

I am the inexplicably yellow face

I'm the jaundice fidelity

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
So, are the pipelines unclogged yet?

Development should be accelerating any day now.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Wait a second, I'm dropping into this thread for the first time in 4 years, and this looked kind of cool before it exploded. Does the game occasionally do stuff now? Should I bother looking up my account?

I mean, try it if it doesn't cost you anything, but every glitch video I just posted was taken from the first two pages of the subreddit. I don't find the flight model very compelling, personally- it is very much noclip-with-inertia, and the desync shown in that video happens all too often. If I were you I'd wait for a free fly week.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

AbstractNapper posted:

So, are the pipelines unclogged yet?

Development should be accelerating any day now.

The pipelines are clogged with mop technicians

Please enjoy this developmental stasis in the meantime

https://clips.twitch.tv/KawaiiPlacidChamoisSoBayed

https://clips.twitch.tv/CrepuscularAmusedSrirachaStrawBeary

Pixelate fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Feb 1, 2021

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Jared, we need more Tony Z posted:

Look I know Mr Tony Z is a busy man, But the way he explains how the development of what he wants to see in PU is just exciting to listen to. As a long time backer and subscriber I would like to hear more from Tony Z. So Jared please give us a Monthly update show with Tony Z! Maybe 10 for Tony Z, similar to 10 for the Chairman.

Update: My mistake i didn't finish SCL video before posting this where Jared and Tony Z describe how he shouldn't do monthly show...LOL..So I guess I jumped gun (Facepalm)

quote:

Now you understand why I'm not concerned about the project as long as Tony and Brian Chambers are still a part of the project.

quote:

Tony Z has been a significant INFLUENCE towards Star Citizens legendary and top tier qualification and authentication of being the space sim sci-fi open-world masiveely-shared sandbox experience that it can be. Tony Z incentivizes Star Citizen into being the immersive interactive digital entertainment product that it is aiming to be.

:heart_eyes:

Also, it has inspired SIGNIFICANT love from the community.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/3/thread/star-citizen-economy-and-employment

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/3/thread/tony-zurovec-by-design-citizencon-2948-full-transc

I have some awesome video links in case any1 is interested.

I feel like Chis Roberts and Tony Z share a somewhat innate understanding and deep comprehension about the fundamental quality of space sims that, when combined with their proficiency and competence, actually allows the Star Citizen project to be a plausible endeavor.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Bofast posted:

Was that the weird engine Youtube videos talking about "Point cloud data" or something like that?
edit: taxxe

Yea here it is;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00gAbgBu8R4

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
I take it as every CitCon is a fundraising event. CIG doesn't do earning calls since, there are no earnings?

They're basically a FinTech startup at this point where you hedge your money on a store of value called jpegs.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

This was already a thing people could do (it's a voxel engine basically) when they announced it and it has the same problem as before, you can't have things move and interact without making it into a slide show. I think they are trying to branch out away from games into things that don't need to move or have physics though like creating a 3d digital recreation of an area.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Oh man, I remember that. It seemed pretty impressive until someone pointed out that nothing in that scene moved.

Now it seems like they've abandoned that engine and switch to "holographics"?

Always a good sign when you turn off comments to all your videos...

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Pixelate posted:

Holy poo poo, I’ve only just realised that your mobiglass actually displays the local argon level.

What's the deal with the argon?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Pixelate posted:

i didn't even know argon was a thing that needed tracking until chris came along

I've played stationeers, which is very spergy, and has an actual functioning atmosphere and gas tracking system, and i dont believe even it tracks argon

so chris must be going to that extra special umpteenth level of sperg

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Munin posted:

What's the deal with the argon?

It's a thread meme referring to the incomprehensibly stupid choices that CIG makes about what to focus on, and where. They decided to spend CPU cycles to track atmospheric composition in individual room volumes including argon levels, even though you could clip through the walls and breathe in space without a helmet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vY_NkFtAAPY&t=190s

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Oh man, I remember that. It seemed pretty impressive until someone pointed out that nothing in that scene moved.

Now it seems like they've abandoned that engine and switch to "holographics"?

Always a good sign when you turn off comments to all your videos...

If it really is the same company I saw they had setup shop not far from me in Australia and the holographics were sort of a VR without the headset kind of thing where they can use their high detail engine to make a static scene to walk around in. Or something like that.

This thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSNGyZgUh8o

Flannelette fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Feb 1, 2021

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

It would be great if the narrative that Tony Z is somehow even better than CR at SC was to take hold

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

no_recall posted:

I take it as every CitCon is a fundraising event. CIG doesn't do earning calls since, there are no earnings?

They're basically a FinTech startup at this point where you hedge your money on a store of value called jpegs.

That is about the only reason I can think of for the Calders to invest. It is a proven and tested, solid income stream. Released games potential revenues, if they ever happen, are just a bonus upside.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
The citizens’ idealization of specific individuals in the project freaks me out. How can it be a good thing that the fate of a project involving 500 (600?) employees entirely depends on like two or three dudes (with no real modern day experience of creating games)?

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Star posted:

The citizens’ idealization of specific individuals in the project freaks me out. How can it be a good thing that the fate of a project involving 500 (600?) employees entirely depends on like two or three dudes (with no real modern day experience of creating games)?

Remember every single SC backer is a project lead at a Fortune 500 company, of course they would seek to find the person most like themselves at CIG.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Star posted:

It's just cult of personality. Uh, I mean "auteurism".

Or I guess if you're sci-fi geek like those backers are, the genre is full of examples where the bridge crew or handful of individuals do everything and save the world while the rest of the crew is just polishing pipes and dying or something, so they're maybe primed to see the world in this way, I don't know.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Feb 1, 2021

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

no_recall posted:

It's just as advanced as Bitcoin really, with some soubtle differences.

Bitcoin works by having the people around the world solve hard math problems to eliminate fraud in transactions of its own virtual currency. This currency has generally been accepted to have some value by limiting the total number of coins in existence. It's traded across the world and has provided some value to many people.

CIG works by having 600 people generate it's virtual currency of jPegs. It's works by failing to solve basic problems and maximizing fruad in its transactions. These .jpegs are generally accepted of having no value. They are limmitless in number and have only served to enrich chris.

Like a FinTech startup they claim to have made no profit so far.

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Star posted:

But that one guy bill codeded windows ?

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

reddit posted:

having boundless money will enable master minds like TonyZ to do their stuff without any constraints. This is already something you can see and even idiots like Jared (who is best in shrinking content and keeping things untold) can not hide this.
I think his next show will top the "building a universe" demonstration which is already legendary. Its about time that those who actually do things get more focus, and those who actually hide things are swept away.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
Its about time that those who drone nonsense on camera get more focus, and those who drone nonsense on camera are swept away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Pixelate posted:

having boundless money will enable master minds like TonyZ to do their stuff without any constraints. This is already something you can see and even idiots like Jared Chris (who is best in shrinking content and keeping things untold) can not hide this.
I think his next show will top the "building a universe" demonstration which is already legendary. Its about time that those who actually do things get more focus, and those who actually hide things are swept away.

Star Citizen: Already Legendary